2023/2024 Ford Mustang

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 248 comments
"Mustang-branded supercar" is an odd way to say Mustang GT3. Nobody would call a Porsche 911 GT3 a "911-branded supercar" lol.
Or maybe a Mustang GT3 road car will be modified with Multimatic-built engines and body parts.
Looks like this is really the GT3 road car, that they'll call GTD.

1692206772713.png

1692206781075.png

On Midweek Motorsport the Ford rep mentioned a Dark Horse S track day car, I thought that would be it but apparently not.

Unfortunately, we’ll know what the “D” stands for when the first one winds up spun out on a street curb, exiting a cars & coffee parking lot.

On Midweek Motorsport the Ford rep mentioned a Dark Horse S track day car, I thought that would be it but apparently not.
That already debuted. It’s on the previous page of the thread I believe.

He said they mentioned it in the press releases but the car itself wasn't unveiled yet.
Perhaps an S model is different than the R model but the description is the same, a track only Dark Horse. You already liked the post lol.

Interesting how Ford and Chevrolet had mid engime concepts dating back to the 1960s.

Until now they are making both the Corvette and Mustang to be mid engine.

Interesting stuff.

Mustang GTD

800 hp, $300k, not midengine

1692318816914.png

1692318822100.png

1692318826841.png

1692319079852.png

1692318912902.png

1692318924761.png

1692318929202.png

1692318845986.png

1692318992981.png

1692318864772.png

1692318879402.png

1692318885459.png

1692318890379.png

1692318894977.png

The 2025 Ford Mustang GTD just debuted as a limited-run, road-legal version of the GT3 race car. Plus, it comes with technology like an adaptive suspension and active aerodynamics that are banned under the competition regulations. It will go on sale in late 2024 or early 2025 at a starting price of around $300,000. The company will accept buyers only by application in a process similar to the sales method for the Ford GT.

Contrary to rumors, the Mustang GTD does not have a mid-mounted engine. A supercharged 5.2-liter V8 sits ahead of the driver. The final output isn't yet available, but Ford is targeting over 800 horsepower, making this the highest-horsepower Mustang ever available from the automaker. The engine's redline is over 7,500 rpm, and it features a titanium exhaust with an active valve system.

The GTD rides on Ford describes as a semi-active suspension that can adjust the spring rates and ride height. The components include adaptive spool valve dampers. The Track Mode setting lowers the vehicle by 1.575 inches (40 millimeters)

The front setup consists of a short-long arm layout. There's no longer storage in the trunk because the pushrod and rocker arm architecture, hydraulic control system, and transaxle cooling system are back there. Air scoops funnel air off the back glass to cool this area.

This Mustang rides on 12.8-inch (325-mm) wide front tires and 13.58-inch (345-mm) rubber at the back. The standard wheels are 20-inch forged aluminum pieces. A set of forged magnesium wheels are optional, and they feature Y-shaped spokes with a similar design to what the GT3 race car uses. Brembo carbon-ceramic brakes come standard.

The GTD's body makes extensive use of carbon fiber to reduce weight. The light material makes up the front splitter, hood, fenders, door sills, roof, trunk lid, and rear diffuser. Carbon pieces for the front and rear fascias are an optional upgrade. Buyers can also get an available aerodynamics package that adds hydraulically controlled front flaps, a carbon-fiber underbody tray, and an active rear wing.

The selected GTD buyers can choose any color they want, even a custom shade that a customer provides.

The GTD's cabin features a mix of Miko suede, leather, and carbon fiber. Occupants sit in Recaro seats, and the rear bench is gone. An optional package includes 3D-printed titanium for the paddle shifters, rotary dial shifter, and serial number plate. The material comes from retired Lockheed Martin F-22 titanium parts.

"Some components of the F-22 that are made of titanium are wear components and after their useful life are 'retired' from service as a regular part of maintenance. The material supplier grinds those retired parts up and provides it as a powder used as a base material for 3D printing," a Ford spokesperson told Motor1.com.

"The target for this project was clear – go much, much faster than we’ve ever gone before with a targeted sub-7-minute Nürburgring time,” said Ford Chief Program Engineer Greg Goodall. “This makes it the fastest roadgoing Mustang ever from Ford,"

Imagine going from a solid rear axle to a trans axle and inboard suspension in the space of 10 years. The Mustang is no longer a joke and Ford clearly want to make sure of it with this monster. I hope one or more of them come to Australia.

Last edited:
I feel like a 5 year old self drawing what the 'Ultimate Mustang' would look like, and my inner child is so happy rn!

While I've mostly been critical and pessimistic about the new gen Mustang, I really can't deny, the GTD is pure awesome. This is exactly the type kind of bonkers, nonsensical exercise in engineering excess that people have been clamoring for since the GT500 was cancelled. Seems to be a genuine, straight-up a racecar for the road, sharing more in common with those insane 90s homologation specials than the V8 convertible your folks "splurged" on the last time they needed a vacation rental. I don't see any reason to not celebrate the fact that Ford dared to make this, regardless of how good the car actually is, or that it isn't truly mid-engined like many imagined, and its hefty price tag. Let alone the fact that it likely won't convert anybody from Porsche-land if it doesn't top the GT3RS.

$300k and they're trying to sell 2,000 units? That's 60 grand more than a 911 GT3 RS. That's almost as much as a Ferrari 296 GTB..which is actually more powerful.

Idk about this one Ford. I could see a case for this car at $150-200k...but $300k is insane.

$300k and they're trying to sell 2,000 units? That's 60 grand more than a 911 GT3 RS. That's almost as much as a Ferrari 296 GTB..which is actually more powerful.

Idk about this one Ford. I could see a case for this car at $150-200k...but $300k is insane.
First thing I thought is you could buy a pretty nice race car and a lot of spares for that. But they'll sell every one they make.

First thing I thought is you could buy a pretty nice race car and a lot of spares for that. But they'll sell every one they make.
I'm not sure. 2,000 units is a lot of $300k Mustangs to shift. Even by not making it explicitly super exclusive, they might be hurting their case to sell them for that much money. BMW is only making 1,000 M4 CSLs, for instance.

Back