• 248 comments
Ford Mustang GT3

They plan to race it at Le Mans and IMSA in 2024

View attachment 1263663

View attachment 1263664

View attachment 1263665

View attachment 1263666

View attachment 1263667
I'm not even a Ford guy, but what a beautiful race car.

mk5
Not sure, that's an interesting one. I know they're going to debut a new GT4 Mustang also but those look like road wheels. The tire fitment is also different than the Dark Horse, these tires have a more square sidewall implying they're a little wider than the slightly stretched Dark Horse tires. I don't doubt that make a GT3-style road car above the Dark Horse, and frankly above the GT350 even. I think the Mustang would really benefit from an ACR/ZR1 type track-focused trim.

Edit: What I can say is that we're looking at the rear of the car, not the front. The cut lines prove that. Other notes are that the black rocker panel is hanging lower on the mystery car than it does on the Dark Horse and appears to have a different shape and meet the metal in a different way. I think it has 1-inch bigger wheels than the Dark Horse, and wider tires, with a much lower wheel arch gap.

2024-Ford-Mustang-Dark-Horse-Preview-Exterior.jpg

Last edited:
Ford Mustang "GT3" spied testing.

MustangGT3.street.g01.KGP_.jpg

I'm really hoping they forego any nostalgic badging on this car and literally just call it the Mustang GT3 or something to that effect. And make sure it has a big wang, ACR-style. It clearly has quite the front splitter on it with what looks like a truly functional underwing, not the traditional American-style plank splitter. While the Mustang does have road-racing history, the car's percenption is still primarily muscle car and I think more needs to be done to change that. The SVT Cobra R and more recent GT350 are really the only cars that have eschewed the muscle car image but Ford should go all-out on the next one.

Who knows, maybe this is "just" the new GT350, but I still think there is too much American tradition in that name. The new GT3 race car is not very traditional at all for the Mustang and I think the street version should embody that.

Last edited:
Until now I didn’t really put 2 and 2 together on the front ends of these cars. The GT3 car has a completely different light and grille arrangement than any of the road Mustangs. From a high speed aero perspective it makes more sense to have the primary cooling grille low, above the splitter, in the highest pressure area to force the air through. Higher lights equal better visibility, and because ford simply cannot with the nostalgia they made the lights reminiscent of classic grille lights. The GT4 car on the other hand is primarily a modified road car.

Makes me wonder if this “GT3” road car will have a similar fascia, although on the mule that doesn’t appear to be the case. I think the GT3’s front end is a lot more attractive than the normal car for sure.

Last edited:
I haven't warmed up to this one. It looks like a facelift of the previous car, but just kind of worse all around. I like the Fox Body nod gauge cluster (come on other manufacturers, is it really that hard to do this sort of stuff? The Nissan Z should have every previous Z's gauge cluster available on the dash, including the wild digital ones of the 80s) but its hard to say the overall design is better than the previous car. I just feel pretty meh about the car in general.

I haven't warmed up to this one. It looks like a facelift of the previous car, but just kind of worse all around. I like the Fox Body nod gauge cluster (come on other manufacturers, is it really that hard to do this sort of stuff? The Nissan Z should have every previous Z's gauge cluster available on the dash, including the wild digital ones of the 80s) but its hard to say the overall design is better than the previous car. I just feel pretty meh about the car in general.
As I've said in the past, I'm fairly certain this will be the final generation Mustang (at least in non-CUV form). The Mustang is just a liability for Ford at this point and I'm pretty sure they're looking for an excuse to kill it off.

I saw a really, really nice 1993 Mustang SVT Cobra (or clone of one) yesterday and it really made me think...why isn't Ford leaning on that design more? The gauge cluster is a nice nod, so they are obviously somewhat keyed into the huge enthusiast/collector appreciation that has grown towards the Fox' in the last 5-10 years, but I think they could have done more. Mustang sales, as noted by @GranTurNismo are way down since the last fully new model debuted in 2015 and I don't think a (substantial) facelift and new interior is going to move the needle all that much. I could be wrong. Was anyone on the fence about a 2023 Mustang going to be pushed into a deal for a 2024?

The 2005 Mustang was a total design reset, specifically meant to appeal to boomers who were in their late 40s to late 50s by that point. The design has evolved a lot since then and you can't call it explicitly retro anymore, but it still feels more 60s referential than anything from the 1979-2004 Era. That same age group is now around 75 years old and almost assuredly not buying new sports cars. What group is buying Mustangs? Probably Gen X and Millennials, almost entirely - a group who have probably far more affinity for the Mustangs of the 80s and 90s than they do of the ones from the 60s and 70s. Maybe it would be too big of a departure for risk-adverse Ford to take, but the route they did go feels annoyingly safe & uninspired.

Seeing that Foxbody Cobra was just refreshing...I haven't seen one in a while. Those cars were such a good size and had such tidy details and proportions...even if the actual construction was rather poor.* The new Mustang is 4" longer and 1" wider than my '23 Honda CR-V, which isn't exactly a small car itself.

*I owned a 91 5.0 coupe and it was honestly the worst built and least reliable car I've ever owned. I hated it by the time I sold it and haven't missed it a single second since.

I saw a really, really nice 1993 Mustang SVT Cobra (or clone of one) yesterday and it really made me think...why isn't Ford leaning on that design more?
Creative bankruptcy. It's the same reason GM made a Camaro that looked like a Tonka version of the first generation Camaro for five times longer than the first generation Camaro actually existed even though the Camaro was never a referential model when it was originally in production. I'm sure Ford has focus groups made up of the same demographics of people who made GM trot out "5th Gen Camaro fans really loved the car's styling so we're copying it so closely that we're even replicating egregious packaging flaws" when they were strongly defending the car from the press (before it was obvious it was a flop and they tried to restyle it twice).

Last edited:
Track only Dark Horse R

1690526072260.png

1690526077011.png

1690526110960.png

Ford Racing is going all in on track versions like the GT3, the GT4, and now, the new Dark Horse R.

The Ford Mustang Dark Horse R is essentially a turn-key race car for buyers that really want to spend their weekends at the track. The R retains many of the same elements that make the standard Dark Horse so great, but with some specific racing cues specifically for track use.

The engine is the same naturally aspirated 5.0-liter V8 from the road version, but tweaked to "500+ horsepower." The powertrain gains an upgraded oil system, transmission cooling, differential cooling, a Borla racing exhaust system, and a fuel cell for added safety and capacity.

The same six-speed manual transmission and Brembo brakes from the base Dark Horse also carry over, and visually, the exterior isn’t all that different – apart from a few necessary tow hooks and smaller 19-inch wheels wrapped in racing slicks.

The biggest tweaks to enhance the on-track performance include Multimatic DSSV racing dampers, adjustable anti-roll bars, and adjustable front camber plates. Meanwhile, Ford also ripped out any and all creature comforts in place of a full racing cabin. That includes a roll cage, Recaro racing seats, a Sparco racing harness, and a removable Sparco steering wheel.

Buyers that are able to get their hands on a limited Dark Horse R also have the opportunity to compete in a new single-make racing series put on by Ford Performance Racing School called the Mustang Challenge. The IMSA-sanctioned series will kick off in 2024 and run a 10- to 12-race calendar on five or six yet-to-be-named tracks in North America.

In order to get on the track you will have to shell out $145,000 for a Ford Mustang Dark Horse R. Deliveries are expected to start in 2024 just ahead of the first Mustang Challenge races.

I saw a really, really nice 1993 Mustang SVT Cobra (or clone of one) yesterday and it really made me think...why isn't Ford leaning on that design more? The gauge cluster is a nice nod, so they are obviously somewhat keyed into the huge enthusiast/collector appreciation that has grown towards the Fox' in the last 5-10 years, but I think they could have done more. Mustang sales, as noted by @GranTurNismo are way down since the last fully new model debuted in 2015 and I don't think a (substantial) facelift and new interior is going to move the needle all that much. I could be wrong. Was anyone on the fence about a 2023 Mustang going to be pushed into a deal for a 2024?

The 2005 Mustang was a total design reset, specifically meant to appeal to boomers who were in their late 40s to late 50s by that point. The design has evolved a lot since then and you can't call it explicitly retro anymore, but it still feels more 60s referential than anything from the 1979-2004 Era. That same age group is now around 75 years old and almost assuredly not buying new sports cars. What group is buying Mustangs? Probably Gen X and Millennials, almost entirely - a group who have probably far more affinity for the Mustangs of the 80s and 90s than they do of the ones from the 60s and 70s. Maybe it would be too big of a departure for risk-adverse Ford to take, but the route they did go feels annoyingly safe & uninspired.

Seeing that Foxbody Cobra was just refreshing...I haven't seen one in a while. Those cars were such a good size and had such tidy details and proportions...even if the actual construction was rather poor.* The new Mustang is 4" longer and 1" wider than my '23 Honda CR-V, which isn't exactly a small car itself.

*I owned a 91 5.0 coupe and it was honestly the worst built and least reliable car I've ever owned. I hated it by the time I sold it and haven't missed it a single second since.

Creative bankruptcy. It's the same reason GM made a Camaro that looked like a Tonka version of the first generation Camaro for five times longer than the first generation Camaro actually existed even though the Camaro was never a referential model when it was originally in production. I'm sure Ford has focus groups made up of the same demographics of people who made GM trot out "5th Gen Camaro fans really loved the car's styling so we're copying it so closely that we're even replicating egregious packaging flaws" when they were strongly defending the car from the press (before it was obvious it was a flop and they tried to restyle it twice).
I’d argue it’s because they’re hideous. Not a single Mustang from 1971 to 2004 was even remotely classically beautiful and models that actually look intelligently designed were few and far between. There may be a few elements here and there but as a whole literally every model Mustang for over 30 years was ugly. The Mach E is a far more attractive and innovative interpretation of “Mustang” than any car in those three decades.

Last edited:
I’d argue it’s because they’re hideous. Not a single Mustang from 1971 to 2004 was even remotely classically beautiful and models that actually look intelligently designed were few and far between. There may be a few elements here and there but as a whole literally every model Mustang for over 30 years was ugly. The Mach E is a far more attractive and innovative interpretation of “Mustang” than any car in those three decades.
Did you go to École des Beaux-Arts or something?

If taking the 1964 Mustang fastback and screwing up every single proportion makes the 2005 Mustang "classically beautiful" then Congress needs to defund all federal spending on art programs.

Last edited:
I think they hit the peak with the 2015 Mustang and it was a pretty good peak.

Supposedly the new one is a bit more tame and in theory shouldn't end up landing in crowds as often.

I’d argue it’s because they’re hideous.
and I'd argue that opinion is wrong. While I don't think every Mustang during that time period was handsome persay, but calling them all hideous is just plain untrue.

Last edited:
The Mach E is a far more attractive and innovative interpretation of “Mustang” than any car in those three decades.
I always think the Mach E looks a bit weedy for a muscle car. But then again, the '64 Mustang was a pony car and not a muscle car, so i suppose the concept and target audience for the Mach E is roughly similar to how the original Mustang was marketed.

I always think the Mach E looks a bit weedy for a muscle car. But then again, the '64 Mustang was a pony car and not a muscle car, so i suppose the concept and target audience for the Mach E is roughly similar to how the original Mustang was marketed.
Car guys are easily distracted by scary fascias and big numbers and they tend to forget the actualy heritage and purpose of a car. What the Mustang is and always has been is an accessible, sporty daily driver. Throughout its history, the V8s and go-fast models have been expensive and relatively limited, not the standard. It seems like all the bois are constantly talking about V8 Mustangs this and that, and they're constantly ripping around American streets loud as hell, but the GT only makes up about 50% of Mustang sales despite seeming to be everywhere. The rest of them are quiet, efficient, kind of lame cruiser cars and rental cars.

Previously we were discussing a potential "Mustang GT3" road car. The wording of this post is weird but makes sense given the teasers and mules we've seen.

"Mustang-branded supercar" is an odd way to say Mustang GT3. Nobody would call a Porsche 911 GT3 a "911-branded supercar" lol.

"Mustang-branded supercar" is an odd way to say Mustang GT3. Nobody would call a Porsche 911 GT3 a "911-branded supercar" lol.
I think it'll be like the Mustang Mach-E which is a "Mustang-branded SUV". It might end up not being related to the Mustang at all

Back