2023/2024 Ford Mustang

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 248 comments
Perhaps an S model is different than the R model but the description is the same, a track only Dark Horse. You already liked the post lol.

Two dedicated, track-only Dark Horse Mustangs powered by 5.0-liter V8 engines will only be available for racers and non-street use. Mustang Dark Horse S is designed for the weekend track day enthusiast while Mustang Dark Horse R has been developed for racing.
English is only my 3rd language so I may miss the minute details and that's why I thought the S and R would be different and ultimately, they're the same. Obviously, I have no idea how much those differences (as perceived by Ford) mean when distinguishing the two models, maybe one is 19, the other is 20-1 as we say it in our language.

I'm not sure. 2,000 units is a lot of $300k Mustangs to shift. Even by not making it explicitly super exclusive, they might be hurting their case to sell them for that much money. BMW is only making 1,000 M4 CSLs, for instance.

Well, we'll see. People are nuts, never forget that. I know two people already lining up on one. Not me, of course, even if I do like the looks of the thing, if I had that kind of cash to throw at a guard rail I'd probably go Porsche. Or with the aforementioned actual race car, perhaps also a Porsche. But i don't.

I'm not sure. 2,000 units is a lot of $300k Mustangs to shift. Even by not making it explicitly super exclusive, they might be hurting their case to sell them for that much money. BMW is only making 1,000 M4 CSLs, for instance.
Right, but the M4 CSL is a terrible car that can barely get out of its own way. Plus BMW’s entire business model hinges on selling mediocre cars to rich Americans for twice what they’re actually worth.

These Mustang GTDs will be sold out swiftly and they’ll increase in value the second they roll off the truck. This is precisely the type of radical but capable vehicle that American brands rarely put together - the Ford GTs are really the only thing that comes close, but the most recent Viper ACR is adequately ridiculous, and the upcoming C8 ZR1 may be a fraction as extreme. Cars like this from American brands aren’t just cars, they’re events.

This car is absolutely incredible.

Last edited:
Right, but the M4 CSL is a terrible car that can barely get out of its own way. Plus BMW’s entire business model hinges on selling mediocre cars to rich Americans for twice what they’re actually worth.

These Mustang GTDs will be sold out swiftly and they’ll increase in value the second they roll off the truck. This is precisely the type of radical but capable vehicle that American brands rarely put together - the Ford GTs are really the only thing that comes close, but the most recent Viper ACR is adequately ridiculous, and the upcoming C8 ZR1 may be a fraction as extreme. Cars like this from American brands aren’t just cars, they’re events.

This car is absolutely incredible.
I consider myself a BMW fan, especially of the old touring car era BMW (hence me owning/driving Audis for 12 years and Subaru for a 18 months and counting) but the current BMW M cars are kind of a letdown for me - not like BMW would care as I can't afford them anyway, worst example for me the new BMW 3.0 CSL which is atrocious compared to the CSL Hommage R.

Anyway, I agree with you on the Mustang GTD, looks awesome, really radical, no doubt it'll sell as hotcakes, if not already most of them accounted for...

Also, thank you @R55NA for ruining its name. I associated it with GT Daytona but now that you mentioned the Golf GTD... I always hated Golfs with a passion :D:D:D:D

Ford probably could have laid it on a bit less thick with the paid advertising to the various online automotive blogs. I'm sure Rick Hendrick will buy 15 of them and YouTubers will buy them for videos where they have a shocked face and an arrow pointing at it and a bunch of "first editions" will sell to people on respirators for a million dollars for charity so they can write it off; and then the "derived from the GT3" nonsense will largely be forgotten as soon as the Zora or ZR-1 or whatever the hell the halo C8 will be called comes out and actually is able to compete with top tier 911s and Ferraris.

Shoutout to the guy in the Jalopnik comments section (edit: and Autopian!) acting like everyone should have their mind blown by the fascinating concepts of "transaxles" and "pushrods" though. I'm not sure if he's gaslighting people or he legitimately thinks 50:50 weight distributions with front engine cars are impossible dark magic.

Last edited:
Ford probably could have laid it on a bit less thick with the paid advertising to the various online automotive blogs. I'm sure Rick Hendrick will buy 15 of them and YouTubers will buy them for videos where they have a shocked face and an arrow pointing at it and a bunch of "first editions" will sell to people on respirators for a million dollars for charity so they can write it off; and then the "derived from the GT3 car" nonsense will largely be forgotten as soon as the Zora or ZR-1 or whatever the hell the halo C8 will be called comes out and actually is able to compete with top tier 911s and Ferraris.

Shoutout to the guy in the Jalopnik comments section acting like everyone should have their mind blown by the fascinating concepts of "transaxles" and "pushrods" though. I'm not sure if he's gaslighting people or he legitimately thinks 50:50 weight distributions with front engine cars are impossible dark magic.
I saw that guy. This is a low budget, potential high return project for Ford in the grand scheme of things. The fact that they are outsourcing most of the tricky stuff kind of tells you that. It certainly isn't a supercar. GM has been doing transaxle Corvettes since 1997...Porsche has been doing it since 1976 ...it's not particularly special. Pushrod suspension is rare (it isn't on mountain bikes!) not because it's some dark art, but because the packaging is terrible for road cars - but people DIY it all the time. If the car does have 50:50 weight distribution and an engine that weighs 550lbs, I doubt it's a particularly light car overall. I would be surprised if its more than 200-300lbs lighter than the GT500. Remember Ford's all carbon-fiber GT weighed 3100lbs. If they can get a steel-chassis Mustang, larger than a Honda CR-V, with a much larger engine to be within 600lbs of that I would be genuinely shocked.

This car is in weird territory. It likely won't be a faster car than a GT3 RS around a track and a 296 GTB is likely miles faster and more usable on the road. This car has flipped the "supercar-killer" concept on it's head. Instead of being a budget car that has supercar-rivaling performance, it's a muscle car that has super-car rivaling price. It's weird. For 300k at Mclaren your budget gets you not just carbon body panels, but a whole carbon monocoque and an engine that doesn't have its roots in $35,000 Mustangs.

We both know that these cars will have the most luxuriously soft media release, where they'll be dolled out to a handful of their favorite youtubers to run staged races filled with shocked expressions and yelling.

Don't get me wrong, this thing is cool and the performance seems exotic. But the GT500 was also crazy fast and cost 3.75x less money. Somebody should DIY a time attack GT500 with a $15k budget to see how much your $300k really gets you, marginally, in the performance department...I would guess not a lot. I guess what I'm getting at is the GT500 at $80k with 760hp and a dual clutch gearbox is a lot more interesting of a proposition than basically that same car + some carbon body panels and fancy rear suspension for $220,000 more money. I don't think even Hennessey would charge that much for this car.

Last edited:
GM has been doing transaxle Corvettes since 1997...Porsche has been doing it since 1976 ...it's not particularly special. Pushrod suspension is rare (it isn't on mountain bikes!) not because it's some dark art, but because the packaging is terrible for road cars - but people DIY it all the time.
Plymouth had both in 1997 and it cost (well, nominally) the same as the Corvette. Shelby grafted pushrods onto some C4 suspension pieces and a (also C4) transmission on the rear axle all attached to a carbon fiber body and the result was... a car that was about a push with the C5.

Like it's legitimately impressive for Ford to say they'll try to get 50:50 out of the even-more-lardass, larger-than-the-pig-1971 S650 when it's built off of the same chassis as the regular car when the engine isn't jammed 6 inches behind the front axle like on a C4-C7 Corvette (it in fact still looks mostly in front of it in the images I've seen); but even the theoretical performance target Ford provided of "hopefully faster than the Viper ACR that privateers cobbled together some runs with after it went out of production" seems a bit much for The Drive to write 4 articles of Ford PR material about when the ZR-1 will be out by then.

Last edited:
…outsourcing most of the tricky stuff kind of tells you that. It certainly isn't a supercar.
So the GT wasn’t a supercar either?

Building cars requires some sort of assembly line or facility. Often creating that facility takes as long or longer than creating the car itself. For brands like Ferrari, Porsche, etc, brands whose business models focus on limited-production models assembled largely by humans and are sold with extremely high profit margins, swapping assembly lines often is doable because their facilities aren’t multi-billion dollar factories the size of several city blocks. Ford is not a company with that sort of adaptability. Not sure why you’re crapping on them for “outsourcing” the job to a company which specializes in small-batch production and racing technology. Technology and production capacity sharing is the norm in the industry. Hell, for the majority of Ferrari’s history they couldn’t even be bothered to draw pictures of their cars, having Pininfarina do it instead. Talk about outsourcing.

If you hate it just say you hate it. You’re wrong, but that’s your choice.

So the GT wasn’t a supercar either?

Building cars requires some sort of assembly line or facility. Often creating that facility takes as long or longer than creating the car itself. For brands like Ferrari, Porsche, etc, brands whose business models focus on limited-production models assembled largely by humans and are sold with extremely high profit margins, swapping assembly lines often is doable because their facilities aren’t multi-billion dollar factories the size of several city blocks. Ford is not a company with that sort of adaptability. Not sure why you’re crapping on them for “outsourcing” the job to a company which specializes in small-batch production and racing technology. Technology and production capacity sharing is the norm in the industry. Hell, for the majority of Ferrari’s history they couldn’t even be bothered to draw pictures of their cars, having Pininfarina do it instead. Talk about outsourcing.

If you hate it just say you hate it. You’re wrong, but that’s your choice.
His entire point revolved around the sentence before what you quoted.
This is a low budget, potential high return project for Ford in the grand scheme of things.

And he's completely right. Ford took what Multimatic Motorsports built and just legalized it.

Last edited:
His entire point revolved around the sentence before what you quoted.

And he's completely right. Ford took what Multimatic Motorsports built and just legalized it.
That’s not @Eunos_Cosmo or @Tornado point. Both of them are suggesting this is some illegitimate money grab that nobody is going to buy. In a racing category where it’s normal to sell a go-fast “homologation” road car, this is about as legit and competitive as it gets.

Does this thing come in right hand drive? I mean I know for a fact the Mustang does not work in the UK in its regular guise, but I still want one 😂

I think the pony is starting to outrun inflation...

In 2004 a Mustang Mach 1 (arguably the era equivalent of the Dark Horse) was a tad bit more than $29,000. That's just over $48k in 2023 money, which I doubt you'll be able to get even the most basic GT for in reality. The Dark Horse seems genuinely too expensive.

I think the pony is starting to outrun inflation...

In 2004 a Mustang Mach 1 (arguably the era equivalent of the Dark Horse) was a tad bit more than $29,000. That's just over $48k in 2023 money, which I doubt you'll be able to get even the most basic GT for in reality. The Dark Horse seems genuinely too expensive.
I think the entire industry is going that way and has been for some time. The "package deal" trend was perhaps one of the first steps many years ago, and now all companies are chasing margins on full-loaded trim levels. They even brag about how much more money they make selling loaded new cars. The Dark Horse is the latest example of it. It might be too expensive for you and I but they're going to sell every single one they make. To somebody, apparently somebody who got a better mortgage rate than I did lmao. They're all outrunning inflation and they're doing it on purpose. Hell, Mazda has transformed its entire company to focus on lower-production higher-spec cars because that's where the margins are. BMW, Mercedes et al have prayed on this market for decades in the US, and building a valuable brand name, whether it be "Mercedes" or "Mustang" is the key to it.

Last edited:
Got our first batch of 24's in, in the metal I don't hate them. Nice enough lines, but it'll have to grow on me a bit. Liked the back half and side profile more than the front, rear 3/4 has a racy sort of line to it that I quite like. Really don't care for the standard GT grille, big and ugly as way too many grilles are now. Wish designers would stop with that. Will try to sit in one but I have a feeling I'll find the interior too busy. Not a fan of screens, either but I'll try to be objective about it.

I've seen a number of them out in the wild now. The rear 3/4 gives me serious Camaro vibes. The car is OK, but I think less good looking than the previous car. I really dislike the new tail lights.

I've seen a number of them out in the wild now. The rear 3/4 gives me serious Camaro vibes. The car is OK, but I think less good looking than the previous car. I really dislike the new tail lights.

Camaro-like but with visibility! And agreed on the tail lamps, and that it's not better looking than the one it's replacing. Has a bit of a mashed together by commitee look. And still way too big which was my main complaint about the previous gen.

Ford Mustang Dark Horse for the NASCAR Cup Series

1698865301343.png

1698865316932.png

Ford Performance worked with its NASCAR race teams to develop the vehicle. They “worked tirelessly in the wind tunnel” to create the car. NASCAR launched the Gen 7 race cars in 2022 to lower costs for teams and make the cars look more like their road-going counterparts.

The 2024 NASCAR Cup Series Mustang Dark Horse will debut on February 4. The car will race in the Clash at the Coliseum at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. The new Mustang is now eligible to battle for podiums on six continents.

Mustang GT California Special

1699565449634.png

[T]he GT California Special is returning for the 2024 model year, and as its name suggests, it's based on the GT. Available in coupe and convertible body styles with the six-speed manual or the optional ten-speed automatic, the new/old variant adopts retro cues as a tribute to the original 56-year-old GT/CS. It stands out courtesy of Rave Blue accents on the front air intakes flanking a redesigned grille with horizontal slats replacing the honeycomb pattern.

If you like the look, Ford wants $1,995 on top of a Mustang GT Premium to apply the California Special treatment. The 2024 GT/CS will make its first public appearance at a cars and coffee event in SoCal on November 11, then head to the 2023 Los Angeles Auto Show on November 16. In the meantime, you can already build the car on the Blue Oval's website and place an order.

I wouldn't take it if Ford knocked two grand off the price of a GT. Actively hideous wheels in particular that look like they came off a Kia crossover.

I keep waiting for the car to grow on me. Nope, going the other way, every time I walk past them, I pick out something else wrong or just odd. And good grief that CS looks like... well, like something you'd find in a bottom-end Vegas gentleman's club like @Eunos_Cosmo implied...

Back