2023 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter Dylan
  • 768 comments
There's something ironic about the former NR2003 folks now owning the Heat & Dirt-to-Daytona devs and getting the license from MSG.

Last edited:
There's something ironic about the former NR2003 folks now owning the Heat & Dirt-to-Daytona devs and getting the license from MSG.
I mean the writing was on the wall for awhile with MSGs earnings calls and inability to be competent.

Willing to bet they had to sell the license for pennies on the dollar to keep the lights on. Now begs the question if Indycar's going to go the same route, which isn't too likely...

I mean the writing was on the wall for awhile with MSGs earnings calls and inability to be competent.

Willing to bet they had to sell the license for pennies on the dollar to keep the lights on. Now begs the question if Indycar's going to go the same route, which isn't too likely...
I mean I knew it was a matter of time, I just find it funny as to who ended up getting it knowing the background of both publisher and Developer.

As far as keeping the lights on, the only game realistically even releasing is Le Mans Ultimate and even then, thats way further along thanks to it being in the hands of Studio 357 AND its sales will likely not even be enough to keep MSG afloat. I don't see that happening with the Indycar game.

I don't know what it is but it feels like that the camera director doesn't know how to keep filming the action. Too much switching between the different camera's on the wrong moments.

An emotional AJ Allmendinger wins big at the Charlotte Roval, holding off a hard charging William Byron!

Kyle Busch, Ross Chastain, Brad Keselowski, and Bubba Wallace have been eliminated from the playoffs.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if that's a bad idea or a good idea.
Lajoie has wrung some decent results out of the 7. And I had no idea, but Steve Letarte is listed as the Executive Consultant of the team on their website. It's possible he's mentioned it during a broadcast or two and I just tuned him out. :lol: Former crew chief, "Bono" Manion, has a role with the team, too. Either way, it appears Hocevar has some talent.

With Kenseth coming aboard with Legacy Motor Club as competition advisor, maybe some of the "smaller" teams will become more competitive, akin to Furniture Row (not that Legacy Motor Club is a real small team, but it's been smaller than the other mainstay teams in recent years whether it's been Petty/GEM/etc.).

Last edited:
Kyle Larson will win at Las Vegas, and will advance to the Championship 4!

So they used this damper template for tech inspections and only the 12 car had a issue, and the template is the problem? :odd:

Chicago Street race will return but 25% reduction in scheduled distance for 2024.

Onto Homestead... Larson makes it interesting by pitting right with Blaney but in an attempt to avoid the 12, hits the attenuator.

Hamlin and Blaney had a spirited battle but right as the battle ended, Hamlin had a steering issue and hit the wall. In addition, Martin Truex Jr may be blowing up.

Christopher Bell will win at Homestead, and advance to the Championship 4!

Last edited:
Since this has been a topic throughout the year…

There's 2 ways to look at it:
  • Denny Hamlin got his perma-charter wish.
  • The market for charters dried up.
What happens when (not if) the RWR teams both finish in the bottom 3 next year, which would mean both of them finished there at least 3 years in a row?

There's 2 ways to look at it:
  • Denny Hamlin got his perma-charter wish.
  • The market for charters dried up.
Likely the second. They're basically admitting that there aren't enough new applicants with the funds to run a full season, and thus have no reason to kick out a team who can keep paying their dues.
What happens when (not if) the RWR teams both finish in the bottom 3 next year, which would mean both of them finished there at least 3 years in a row?
If i had to guess, probably end up becoming a satellite team of RFK for cost saving reasons and then be gradually rolled up into their operations. Unless we get an Andretti/F1 situation where someone with a truckload of money wants to buy their way in, I don't really see any charters freeing up anytime soon.

Last edited:
Likely the second. They're basically admitting that there aren't enough new applicants with the funds to run a full season, and thus have no reason to kick out a team who can keep paying their dues.

If i had to guess, probably end up becoming a satellite team of RFK for cost saving reasons and then be gradually rolled up into their operations. Unless we get an Andretti/F1 situation where someone with a truckload of money wants to buy their way in, I don't really see any charters freeing up anytime soon.
Of course, we're assuming the charter system still exists in 2025. As things stand, it ends at the end of next season, and I honestly don't see a need for it anymore.

NASCAR did succeed in getting rid of the true start-and-parkers, and the only race in the last few years that had a full field of 40 has been the Daytona 500. In fact, we have had only 5 non-chartered teams try to run full seasons, 3 of them in the 2016 season (the first charter season) and none since 2021.
  • The Wood Brothers (#21) leased, then eventually bought (with Roger Penske's money) a charter (Go Fas/#32's original charter) after their 21st-place non-chartered season in 2016 (their first full-time run since 2008).
  • Premium Motorsports, after leasing out their charter (to HScott Motorsports for their second team, the 46) in 2016, tried to run a full-time (#98) and a most-of-the-time (#55) team. The 98 made it to the fall Kansas race, leaving in 36th, and ahead of the 46, before Premium's efforts shifted solely to the 55 (which skipped races 2-6). Between those 2 teams, Premium did run a full season, just not with a single team. In 2017, they sold that leased charter off to Furniture Row for the 77 (more on that charter in a bit), but bought the charter HScott had for their 15 team, keeping that number and running it until Rick Ware Racing bought them out. That is the charter that would have been seized by NASCAR after Phoenix.
  • The Motorsports Group (#30) managed to try 35 races in 2016, not showing up for the fall Talladega race after leaving Kansas in 40th (behind all the other full-time teams as well as the 55). They merged into Circle Motorsports (#33) in 2017 as Circle had a charter they needed to use. Circle was merged into Go Fas (#32) in 2018 after Go Fas sold their charter to Wood Brothers (and ran 2017 with a leased charter from Richard Petty Motorsports), with that charter eventually sold to Live Fast (#78) and ultimately to Spire/Trackhouse for next year.
  • MBM Motorsports (#66) tried to run a second non-chartered season in 2021 after their 37th-place non-chartered 1st full season in 2020, but couldn't make it work.
  • JTG Daugherty shut down their second team (#37) after trying to run it as a non-chartered team when their silent partner (who helped them buy the original Premium charter off Furiture Row in 2018) bolted to Spire with the charter in 2021, finishing that season in 27th.
Personally, if I ran the charter system, I would have taken RWR's second charter because they have been bottom-feeders since they came in, whether they had 1 team, 2 teams, or 4. I guess Trackhouse isn't ready to become a 4-team operation and JR Motorsports isn't ready to come to Cup just yet.

Last edited:
Seems Almirola is retiring again.

IMG_4989.png

Smart money says Smithfield was the first to pull the trigger on that one, and Aric knows his odds of attracting a new sponsor at that level are less than ideal.

Smart money says Smithfield was the first to pull the trigger on that one, and Aric knows his odds of attracting a new sponsor at that level are less than ideal.
Could that be why NASCAR isn't pulling the RWR charter? I seem to remember a rumor that Stewart-Haas was considering halving their lineup in the event Almirola/Smithfield left.

Could that be why NASCAR isn't pulling the RWR charter? I seem to remember a rumor that Stewart-Haas was considering halving their lineup in the event Almirola/Smithfield left.
I dunno if NASCAR was privy to the knowledge of either of them leaving before the announcement, it sounds like the decision to keep RWR instated was made well before this. But if Stewart-Haas had to notify them a certain amount of time in advance that they were releasing a charter, I guess that could be it. Presuming they actually are dropping that car next year, that is.

Last weekend, the truck series decided it’s Final Four. Grant Enfinger, Cory Heim, Carson Hocevar, and Ben Rhodes.

And tonight after one of the Xfinity races of all time, their Final four have been decided. Justin Allgier, Cole Custer, Sam Mayer, and John Hunter Nemechek.

Latest Posts

Back