2023 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter Dylan
  • 768 comments
With Chevy confirming the Camaro is dead (again), what does the company replace it with in Xfinity and Cup for 2025 and beyond? I guess the obvious answer is the Malibu (Yes, they still make it, and it's still selling pretty well.), but I suppose they could also pull a Honda-in-SuperGT and submit a front-engined C8 Corvette. I can also picture the Xfinity Series morphing into a crossover/SUV class that plops (very, VERY) vaguely Equinox-, Escape- and RAV4-shaped composite bodies onto the current chassis.
The decline of sedans/coupes in consumer automotive market (something I addressed in the past) is worrying for motorsports, especially with Chevrolet not having any other front engine car in their lineup. Another possibility is a switch to Cadillac given their IMSA (and proposed F1) push - but their sedan/coupe offerings may not last long, and Cadillac and NASCAR's demographics aren't exactly matching.

The decline of sedans/coupes in consumer automotive market (something I addressed in the past) is worrying for motorsports, especially with Chevrolet not having any other front engine car in their lineup. Another possibility is a switch to Cadillac given their IMSA (and proposed F1) push - but their sedan/coupe offerings may not last long, and Cadillac and NASCAR's demographics aren't exactly matching.
The rumor a while ago was that it was supposed to be replaced by an electric sports sedan. I'm sure NASCAR is going to have to change up some of their rules to work around current trends.

This has been a great race so far. Shame Keselowski breaking an axle has ruined the fuel strategy element but should be a good fight for the finish.

Reddick wins! I think he is making a serious argument for being the top road course racer in Cup.

Elliott might be able to challenge him when he gets back but Reddick is definitely the top car. This race though was a mess near the end.

There has to be a way to fix the end of these road course races. A potentially great race kinda ruined by everyone forgetting how to use the brake pedal at the end.
But glad the best car won.

It may not be a popular idea among fans, but if a car shreds debris onto the track a mile behind the competition with 2 to go, I say let everyone race to the line and throw the caution as they start the last lap. Yeah it will end under yellow, but it would prevent multiple restarts, more destroyed cars, and hopefully the strongest car the potential of getting screwed over.

What a **** show at the end but I enjoy seeing these cars on the road courses.

I was super stoked to see Kimi up in 4th after that lucky caution, but then he just sank to the bottom, lol.

Fun race from a fan crossover perspective. Like can you imagine a top level NASCAR driver or 3 just jumping in an F1 car without first going through any ranks? Would they be welcomed with open arms? I’m going with no. I hate GWCs and races ending under caution would be fine with me if we brought that back.

Kyle Larson finally puts together a race finish and wins at Richmond. Josh Berry finishes 2nd as a substitute driver.
Very good race today. Plenty of falloff in the tires, and it seemed like the cars raced a bit better than last year with the new lack of downforce. Gives me hope for North Wilkesboro.

Goodness gracious this is a bad look.

Edit: might not be over yet

Last edited:
I wonder what the difference between the official team of HenCAR and Kaulig Racing is:
  • That Hendrick parked their crew chiefs and Kaulig didn't?
  • That all 4 Hendrick teams were nailed, while only 1 of Kaulig's 2 was?
  • That Hendrick is the official team of HenCAR, going so far as to build their Le Mans entry, and Kaulig gets their engines from ECR instead of Hendrick?

This is your periodic reminder that it is Rick Hendrick's HenCAR, not Joe Gibbs' GibCAR.

Byron and Bowman were the 2 cars taken to the r&d center.

The last few weeks have been a rollercoaster as a Byron fan.

Last edited:
Added to this are two changes to the appeals process (via Jayski):
  • The appeals board/final appeals officer may no longer completely eliminate any part of an assessed penalty (unless they rescind the penalty in its entirety), and must keep any adjustments within the guidelines for that level of penalty.
  • NASCAR now has the right to release the reasoning of an appeals board's/final appeals officer's modification or rescinding of a penalty.
With respect to the latest penalties to the 24 and 48, as it's a L1 penalty with 60 regular points, 5 playoff points, 2-race suspension of the (interim) crew chiefs and $75,000 initially assessed, if it remains a penalty, they'll be out no less than 10 regular points, 1 playoff point, a 1-race suspension of the (interim) crew chiefs, and $25,000 (or no more than 75 regular points, 10 playoff points, 3-race suspension of the crew chiefs, and $100,000).

Last edited:
All Star Race format (conceived by Dale Earnhardt Jr.)
5E9D8397-61F4-4C7E-B7AB-20A27B7C050F.jpeg

Compared to the last several years of formats, this one is awesome.

Last edited:
All Star Race format (conceived by Dale Earnhardt Jr.)
View attachment 1245837
Compared to the last several years of formats, this one is awesome.
They did the smart thing by having Jr. do the format (would love to see a driver choose the format every year), having the pit crew contest being for something more than bragging rights will be fun. Should be an overall great week with the late model stuff happening earlier in the week.

With respect to the latest penalties to the 24 and 48, as it's a L1 penalty with 60 regular points, 5 playoff points, 2-race suspension of the (interim) crew chiefs and $75,000 initially assessed, if it remains a penalty, they'll be out no less than 10 regular points, 1 playoff point, a 1-race suspension of the (interim) crew chiefs, and $25,000 (or no more than 75 regular points, 10 playoff points, 3-race suspension of the crew chiefs, and $100,000).
They may still get out of it.

They may still get out of it.

Odds are the appeals board will rescind the penalties in their entirety. Hence the "if it remains a penalty".

Edit - A couple of items from NBC Sports "Friday 5" today that relates to penalties:
  • The lead item puts into question the effectiveness of suspending crew chiefs. A couple of them who got suspended say that, at least as far as access to information, it's actually better for them to work from the shop than at the track.
  • The Kaulig appeal to the final appeal officer will happen under the old appeals rules, which means the FAO can still take out the points portion of the penalty entirely without rescinding the rest of the penalty.

Last edited:
Via Jayski - Cody Ware is out for at least the Bristol Dirt Race due to personal reasons, with Matt Crafton filling in this weekend.

Back