2023 Nissan Z - 400hp, 6MT/9AT, $40k USD

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 703 comments
I think I like it. I still haven't made my mind up ever since the Proto was first unveiled. I think I need to see one in person. I think the 370z feels much more compact and purposeful looking when I see one in the wild, so I imagine this car will do the same trick - only with vastly better details. Pretty good job Nissan did considering they probably had a shoestring budget. Hard to believe the basic platform this car sits on is almost 20 years old now, and likely the bulk of the engineering on it was done in the 20th century.

I think it's awesome that they've kept the horrible blue interior, and that alone would make me consider it over just getting a used C6.

I think for me, I speak as a "poor man starved of any nutrition".... we dont have any high performance rwd manual cars that are appropriately priced.

While I dont mind the 86 the reality is I'm not dying on the hill for four cylinders.

The Supra is a $100k BMW that spend its formative years in Japan, and still no manual.

I'm guessing this 400z will hit $60-$80k here and that's not including dealer adjustments.

I really like the 240z and the z32 300zx. I dont consider myself a Z fan. More Skylines but this is as close as we're gonna get.

I wish it was a 2+2, that would hit it out of the park but this is close enough.

I think it looks good. It'll be one of those cars where its cheap enough where it'll be the star of whatever it goes to.

Over here Mustangs are super common. And most seem to be V8 autos and the price is something like $60-$75k.

So this is a Japanese Mustang, again. I do wish the 400z had an n/a V8 though.

Considering we won't see build numbers like the Mustang, it'll be a welcome uncommon sight. Not saying I'm tired of seeing Mustangs(love them joints). but seeing a Z will be more like seeing something a bit more exotic. Although, probably more common than a Supra.

Last edited:
I think for me, I speak as a "poor man starved of any nutrition".... we dont have any high performance rwd manual cars that are appropriately priced.

While I dont mind the 86 the reality is I'm not dying on the hill for four cylinders.

The Supra is a $100k BMW that spend its formative years in Japan, and still no manual.

I'm guessing this 400z will hit $60-$80k here and that's not including dealer adjustments.

I really like the 240z and the z32 300zx. I dont consider myself a Z fan. More Skylines but this is as close as we're gonna get.

I wish it was a 2+2, that would hit it out of the park but this is close enough.

I think it looks good. It'll be one of those cars where its cheap enough where it'll be the star of whatever it goes to.

Over here Mustangs are super common. And most seem to be V8 autos and the price is something like $60-$75k.

So this is a Japanese Mustang, again. I do wish the 400z had an n/a V8 though.
Pssst, its just Z. 😉

partridge-i-dont-know.gif

shrugs in undestined English

What are the chances the values of these things drop into a bottomless pit like 350s have? Hopefully they don't build literally a million of them, but then again waiting until somebody else takes the depreciation hit is not a bad idea.

Last edited:
What are the chances the values of these things drop into a bottomless pit like 350s have? Hopefully they don't build literally a million of them, but then again waiting until somebody else takes the depreciation hit is not a bad idea.
I don't think they will sell anywhere near as many of these as they did 350z's. 370z's have not dropped nearly as much as 350s because there just aren't very many of them. The 350z came out during housing boom phase 1 when everyone Boomers were jubilantly blowing money on sports cars wanting to feel the spark again. Millennials seem to have abandoned sports cars in favor of vans and overlanding rigs - anything that can perform adventurous tasks or at least look like it - while also shuttling their kids around. I feel like when millennials hit 55-60 (equivalent to Boomers at 40-50 because we got screwed) there may be a renewed interest in sports cars and sport compacts...relive those early 2000s just like how the boomers were reliving the 60 & 70s in the early 00s. The 350z itself, is kind of a conundrum in this regard because it was largely a throwback to the 70s when it came out in 2003 and yet its also kind of emblematic of the early 00s to a different generation.

Last edited:
Has anybody else noticed the adjustable strut brace? What's up with that?

2023-nissan-z-15.jpg

Unfortunately the value of the 350's dropping has turned them into the next go-to cheap drift car, so they're going to start dropping like flies as they get thrown into walls.

Unfortunately the value of the 350's dropping has turned them into the next go-to cheap drift car, so they're going to start dropping like flies as they get thrown into walls.
Which will in turn drive up prices for clean ones...

Unfortunately because this car is largely based on the previous one, the chassic code will not change. So there are now two Z34's.

I'm curious what this implies. I mean, if the old chassis were to be updated enough to even remotely compete with the Supra at anything then it would have to be significantly updated. Body lines schmody lines, the hardware underneath would have to be completely revised and totally incompatible to realize such a performance improvement.

I'm also curious of the importance of chassis "codes". As far as I know, it's just a segment of numbers in the VIN. It doesn't really mean anything, does it? What are the reasons that an OEM gives a different car a different VIN code? Why is the DC5 Integra not still a DC2?

Back