2023 Nissan Z - 400hp, 6MT/9AT, $40k USD

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 703 comments
yep Nissan arent good in some regions but since they are partnered with Renault Mitsubishi they sell something like 10-11mil cars a year.

Dont kid yourself, they are a damn powerhouse.

About chassis generations.

In the 90s-2000s they had minor-ish steps but they moved to new numbers... ie. r32-33-34. I think they could just say this is the Z35 and people would accept it.

I think they did a remarkable job for what is a parts bin car... ie. the auto and motor are borrows from infiniti.

Has anybody else noticed the adjustable strut brace? What's up with that?

2023-nissan-z-15.jpg
Nothing new. The 350Z had the exact same strut bar. Pretty funny to see it back on the new Z.

Nothing new. The 350Z had the exact same strut bar. Pretty funny to see it back on the new Z.
allegedly uses the same platform as the 350/370 so therefore a lot of dimensions are the same

the strut bar is adjustable as you can change the 'square' that the top bar and bottom struts has... camber in, camber out

people have already worked out all the interior bits and pieces are in the same place etc.

it'll have the same seat anchor points, same speaker mounts etc.

its obvious at this point that all this "400z" is is a 370 with the q50s engine, mercedes box and updated interior exterior

you'll find a lot of the FCA dodge chrysler catalog is ex mercedes.

the mercedes suvs have dna in the durangos and the like

it works

allegedly uses the same platform as the 350/370 so therefore a lot of dimensions are the same

the strut bar is adjustable as you can change the 'square' that the top bar and bottom struts has... camber in, camber out

people have already worked out all the interior bits and pieces are in the same place etc.

it'll have the same seat anchor points, same speaker mounts etc.

its obvious at this point that all this "400z" is is a 370 with the q50s engine, mercedes box and updated interior exterior
Not a 400Z and the transmission isn't Mercedes as far as I know.

Not a 400Z and the transmission isn't Mercedes as far as I know.
You'd better get used to everybody calling it a 400Z because Nissan has spent literally the entire history of the nameplate developing that precedent and we don't know what else to call it. The nickname "Z" refers to every single generation and every single individual car.

It's a 400Z, I don't care what the badge says and I have a feeling quite a lot of people besides media figures won't care either. I don't have marketing standards to adhere to so I'm gonna calls it like I sees it and I've noticed a lot of other people doing the same.

Last edited:
If Nissan didn't want people to call it 400z they should have given it a real name to begin with; be it 300Z/ZX or just ripping the bandaid off and calling it a Fairlady here as well. It's not like they were terribly concerned about confusing people if they are just going to reuse the chassis code anyway.

the transmission isn't Mercedes as far as I know.
For whatever that's worth.

It is a Mercedes transmission, by the way.

Last edited:
You'd better get used to everybody calling it a 400Z because Nissan has spent literally the entire history of the nameplate developing that precedent and we don't know what else to call it. The nickname "Z" refers to every single generation and every single individual car.

It's a 400Z, I don't care what the badge says and I have a feeling quite a lot of people besides media figures won't care either. I don't have marketing standards to adhere to so I'm gonna calls it like I sees it and I've noticed a lot of other people doing the same.
this ^^^

no way I'm calling it a zed... or a zee

Z refers to that class of Nissan car from 240 to 300 to 350 to 370 and here.

also amazing to me how confident some people are on their ignorance, shades of reddit /r/confidentlyincorrect

this is one thing i personally really dont like

i myself have been a long standing nissan fan... back to the s13, r32 z32 etc.

i have owned some of the above plus my family has had a long line of nissan 4wds

we also have had a long line of mercedes sedans and suvs, i'm not a huge fan of mercedes given how they engineer their cars

i'm really not a huge fan of nissan and mercedes collaborating, but we have the nissan xclass and the mix of chassis in the Mercedes A class and their sharing of four cyl motors and gearboxes.

In fact the Nissan Skyline, ie. the infiniti q50 has a mercedes 4 cyl and auto box.

if you were to tell me as a young man driving an r32/33/34 that one day the skyline would have mercedes bits i would tell you to get off the drugs

AND YET HERE WE ARE!

i'm not really a huge fan of the nissan renault mitsubishi mercedes four way salad toss and yet.... its been going on for a while

so if im ever going to get into a 400z then then its going to be manual to avoid that mercedes engineering

this ^^^

no way I'm calling it a zed... or a zee

Z refers to that class of Nissan car from 240 to 300 to 350 to 370 and here.

also amazing to me how confident some people are on their ignorance, shades of reddit /r/confidentlyincorrect

this is one thing i personally really dont like

i myself have been a long standing nissan fan... back to the s13, r32 z32 etc.

i have owned some of the above plus my family has had a long line of nissan 4wds

we also have had a long line of mercedes sedans and suvs, i'm not a huge fan of mercedes given how they engineer their cars

i'm really not a huge fan of nissan and mercedes collaborating, but we have the nissan xclass and the mix of chassis in the Mercedes A class and their sharing of four cyl motors and gearboxes.

In fact the Nissan Skyline, ie. the infiniti q50 has a mercedes 4 cyl and auto box.

if you were to tell me as a young man driving an r32/33/34 that one day the skyline would have mercedes bits i would tell you to get off the drugs

AND YET HERE WE ARE!

i'm not really a huge fan of the nissan renault mitsubishi mercedes four way salad toss and yet.... its been going on for a while

so if im ever going to get into a 400z then then its going to be manual to avoid that mercedes engineering
I mean it could be worse. Nissan could have been so cynical and indifferent to designing the 400z that it only had the slushbox and every time it gets recalled it needed to be taken to a Mercedes dealer.

Last edited:
I mean it could be worse. Nissan could have been so cynical and indifferent to designing the 400z that every time it gets recalled it needed to be taken to a Mercedes dealer.
No no no

I had nightmares dealing with Mercedes here. They have their famous Service A, Service B schedules and its amazingly exhaustive and expensive.

Get used to well maintained vehicles having B services that end up at $2,500 and two dozen printed A4 sheets...

I have had good experiences with Nissan. They have capped priced servicing and they know their customers are... lets just say, lower on the economic scale and they price their stuff accordingly.

I would happily bring a 400z to my local guys. They should be used to the 350/370 platforms by now.

How can it be a 400 when it's a 3.0LTT?

Nissan can call it the Z. I mean, Corvette, Mustang and 911, been those names no matter the chassis code. If someone says they own a Z, could be any year. A "400Z", to me, is like, what's that? This new car is a Z.

I think it was like this with the Beetle. Some joked about calling it the Golf that it is, but it's the "New Beetle".

I wouldn't mind the Z being named Fairlady, universally. If the internet keeps calling it 400Z, still seems numerically wrong anyway.

numeric numbering hasnt meant much anyway for the last few decades at least, esp. due to turbocharging

a bmw 328/330 used to be a 2.8/3.0 inline six

but now its a 2.0 turbo four... or a hybrid

its more hp reading here since its NOT a 300z.... we already have that

I believe the 400Z name comes from the Z having 400 Horsepower.

Because it is a 3 litre turbo, it could've been a nice nod back to the past if they gave it the 300ZX nameplate.

The problem then is it becomes like the 911.

There's a few versions of the 300zx, z31 z32 etc. To add another?

Yeah, but that BMW and Audi stuff, I don't know what they were trying to do there.

I don't see it as a problem being a 300Z. Neither with the 911. It's a 911. The chassis code through the years are interchangeable of course, but it's a 911(or Carrera?, I guess).

The Z looks like a Z. I mean, this time, it actually looks like a classic Z(from the first 240Z to a 280Z) in the snout. The back can look like whatever, but anyone who knows what a classic Z looks like, can clearly see the new car is a Z. Same with a 911, Golf, Mustang etc. Corvette maybe borderline. I think the line was drawn with Skyline GT-R. We all know it's in the spirit of a Skyline GT-R(three-box, 4-seater, with rear wheel drive that transitions to 4WD), but noone calls the R35 a Skyline(despite there being an actual separate model Skyline - let's not talk about the SUV). It's a GT-R. Just like all the other GT-Rs before it.

Besides, the horsepower figure, it's not like this is a special Nismo 270R & 400R. If Nissan decide to make such a Nismo edition, then I can see the 400 coming into play.

Again, no problem from me if people call this car whatever they want. Just posting my thoughts about the name.

I wonder on a philosopical point what the 400z means to a car like the old and new GT86.

Here's Toyota waxing their totem pole over how adding a turbo or more power to a 2.4 four cyl would 'upset chassis balance' and all this nonsense trying to justify low power and then... BAM... Nissan just slots in their 400hp Infiniti red sport turbo v6.

Sure the car weighs 200kg more but it has twice the power twice the torque.

I sort of feel like the 400z is an answer to all those companies who justify low power and high prices.

It's going to be 300kg more and 33% more expensive for 175 more horsepower/170 more torque. That's decidedly a different market than the BreezFrees is in. There will be a niche for both of them just like there was when the 370z cost about the same, weighed 250kg more with 130 more horsepower/120 more torque but sold worse.

Last edited:
How can it be a 400 when it's a 3.0LTT?

Nissan can call it the Z. I mean, Corvette, Mustang and 911, been those names no matter the chassis code. If someone says they own a Z, could be any year. A "400Z", to me, is like, what's that? This new car is a Z.

I think it was like this with the Beetle. Some joked about calling it the Golf that it is, but it's the "New Beetle".

I wouldn't mind the Z being named Fairlady, universally. If the internet keeps calling it 400Z, still seems numerically wrong anyway.
But nobody says they own a Corvette, they own a C5. They don't own a Mustang, they own a Terminator or an S197. Nobody owns a 911, they own a 964 or 993 or 991.

Likewise, nobody owns a Z. But Nissan has decided to take away both ways we identify which Z anybody is actually talking about. Apparently it's not even a Z35. We'll have to see what nickname the community comes up with for it and call it that I guess. For now, I'm sticking with 400Z as opposed to 280Z, and Z35 as opposed to Z32. Just "Z" is dumb. They're all Zs.

Last edited:
But nobody says they own a Corvette, they own a C5. They don't own a Mustang, they own a Terminator or an S197. Nobody owns a 911, they own a 964 or 993 or 991.

Likewise, nobody owns a Z. But Nissan has decided to take away both ways we identify which Z anybody is actually talking about. Apparently it's not even a Z35. We'll have to see what nickname the community comes up with for it and call it that I guess. For now, I'm sticking with 400Z as opposed to 280Z, and Z35 as opposed to Z32. Just "Z" is dumb. They're all Zs.
Eh I absolutely just say I have a Corvette unless I'm speaking to someone who would know or care about the specifics beyond that. I still don't know what year or trim my CTO's 911 is because he doesn't even call it a 911.. just a Porsche. On the other hand, in person I've pretty much always heard Nissan owners specifically say that they have a 350 or 370 because those are literally the model names on their cars and they aren't in an internet wang waving contest. Saying you have a Nissan Z will be perfectly clear to normal people I think (even if naming cars a single letter is silly in general).

And the number has always referred to the displacement, not the horsepower. So either way 400Z is incorrect. It would be a 300Z. If people are going to be stubborn about the name and "follow the lineage " then you may as well call it a 300Z.

I rest my case. I'll keep calling it what it is.

And the number has always referred to the displacement, not the horsepower. So either way 400Z is incorrect. It would be a 300Z. If people are going to be stubborn about the name and "follow the lineage " then you may as well call it a 300Z.

I rest my case. I'll keep calling it what it is.
300ZX would be more historically correct, with the X identifying it as a turbo model.

300ZX would be more historically correct, with the X identifying it as a turbo model.
But they could differentiate it from the original 300ZX by just calling it the 300Z. Or just simply call it the Fairlady Z everywhere.

Last edited:
Not necessarily true. The X was added to designate luxury. Both generations of 300zx were available as naturally aspirated and In some markets, exclusively so.

I get pulling a Cher and naming it just Z, it’s a cool name, but there does need to be more detail somewhere. If not by displacement or horsepower, than at least a unique chassis code.

It should be a Z35 and I can see no reason to reuse the chassis code when this looks like a bigger leap than 350Z to 370Z.

Z30 would be fine. There was the S30 chassis. May as well name it Z30. The 911 is all over the place with starting back to 1. Can use Z35 if there is another new Z.

Last edited:
or lol maybe they could give it a new chassis code

if you look at the minor-ish changes of the s13-14-15 and the r32-33-34 then this should be a new chassis code.

Further the 300zx was more a luxury GT sport coupe tourer rather than what the 240z and the 370z became.

YOu older AMericans must remember the black gold nonsense?

i remember the 300zx z32 when it was new here.

We only got the manual or auto 2+2 n/a version 168kW and 1,500kg so its not a fast car at all but damn what a looker.

Also something like $65-$70,000 dollars when that was a real REAL shocking amount of money.

I think a very very decent house was like $125,000 lol.

ANd now the new z37 400z is also $65-$70k. That says a lot of about our global economy right?

Car is approx. the same. Our wage is sort of the same accounting for inflation but houses have got 10x in the same space.

To add to the naming discussion I'm personally not gonna call it anything because I'm European. Or Schrödinger's Z, it both exists and doesn't exist but I'll never get to confirm that. :lol:

Also to add to that, I've been seeing 350Zs here and there since it came out, more or less the same amount as other similar sports cars, but I've only seen one 370Z. In fact I've seen more GT-Rs than 370Zs, I know this is just anecdotal evidence at best but to be honest while I'm obviously disappointed I'm not at all surprised Nissan won't sell it here. Around here there's way more money to be made with electric cars than sports cars.

Over here we see a lot lot lot more R35s. The 350z's are all gone, smsahed and scrapped. There are a few 370s around but obviously paying what is a years pre tax wage for an ancient 2 seat platform isnt what excites people. 300zx z32s are all gone too.

$60,000 Ford Rangers or Hiluxes? Yes.

The R35 will always be legendary. It was born a legend and I dont even like them all that much. So people love them.

I cannot imagine how the 400z will not be an instant hit. In the same way the roads here are FULL of Mustangs and not the crappy 4 cyl ones.

Mustangs and a real 400z are dream cars. But one difference is that the Mustang will continue to be a top seller. Its a dream car of almost every gen.

The BMW Supra and this 400z will most likely tap out after a few years like most coupes no matter how good and I think at least Nissan will continue to put it on life support like their other 2 seat sports until they transition to EV.

Last edited:
Back