2023 Repco Supercars ChampionshipTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 769 comments
''We don't want to look like a used car lot''

A Roland gem that didn't age well.
Can’t wait to read his next explanation in Speedcafe. ;)

@Spacegoat y’all know I kept typing about those MARC Cars. Shame they never gave the homegrown chassis a try.

Last edited:
Honestly, the series should probably just move to GT4 regulations by '25. If they haven't been able to attract any new manufacturers at this point, it's probably never going to happen.
I think picking up an already existing category will lose a lot of spark. I'd prefer a one make Mustang series over a category I can watch somewhere else and the racing is better. Same reason why I haven't watched DTM since it moved to GT3, if I wanted GT3 racing, there are better series for it. Same for GT4

Besides, this doesn't mean Chevrolet is out of the series entirely, they can still run the Camaro model and it really doesn't matter in the long run that it's manufacturer relevant, no matter what people over at speedcafe say and what Supercars are trying desperately to sa

So much for Gen3 being "manufacturer relevant", eh? Rip to Larko's puff pieces.

Honestly, the series should probably just move to GT4 regulations by '25. If they haven't been able to attract any new manufacturers at this point, it's probably never going to happen.
Because this worked so well for DTM

Because this worked so well for DTM
Things is,Supercars was originally a production car championship. Normal cars through to the Group A era.

From the V8 Supercars era it were still at least close to hotted up sport sedans. I'd welcome a return to more production based racers. At least until they get a hold of where this series is going.

Yes, the whole point are racing cars no-one else race. However, it just continuously looks bad, because no-one outside Australia want to join. Why is that?

When the heads of the series stop chopping and changing and be sensible to really wanting others to participate, the series is in no man's land. Car of The Future was great until they started hanging the rules to suit the Holden and Ford engines. Nissan were back, AMG/HWA joined, Volvo joined.

Anyway, GT4 isn't going to happen because ARG run that series. Supercars only allow Touring Car Masters on their bill. Supercars didn't want TCR participating and it's not a rival series. And as for the Super 2 and Super 3 feeder series, those, according to Roland Dane, are in jeopardy due to track time for the hose entrants.

Me, personally, what I saw at Newcastle was good. However, that's not translating to what he teams are experiencing.

Besides, this doesn't mean Chevrolet is out of the series entirely, they can still run the Camaro model and it really doesn't matter in the long run that it's manufacturer relevant, no matter what people over at speedcafe say and what Supercars are trying desperately to sa
In the long run? It's never been manufacturer relevant since it's first introduction as the replacement for the ZB back in 2020. :sly:

One could also argue that as the car that helped in sinking GMH, the ZB wasn't particularly manufacturer relevant either. ;)

I do agree wholeheartedly that you're right in saying Supercars need to stop with the whole market relevancy BS.

I do however prefer current(ish) model cars but I have no idea how they'll get around that in the future. Camaro SUV EV versus Mustang SUV EV... I just threw up in my mouth a bit just typing that :ill::yuck:.

If they're not going to run anything current then perhaps Gen 3 based FGX versus VF II, but with a slightly different name (similar to how Historics is named for that category)? Something that recognizes the Australian car industry of the past maybe.

They just need to get the racing in order and the rest will hopefully take care of itself. If they can't keep the crowds interested it's doomed.

I don't understand this at all.:confused:

Firstly, what was the point of all the different drivers driving these things all last year if it weren't to get some driver input, and why weren't they listening then?

Secondly, why lump this all on SVG? Isn't that what the newly formed drivers' association is for?

Edit: Hat tip to the way SVG is handling himself in this situation, well done Shane.

Last edited:
:rolleyes:

Edit: So annoying, man.

No wonder SVG was saying what he said(walking away from the series) during the development of the cars.

Last edited:
Hmm. A bit more than a car width available to SVG last round.

20230330_124249 - Copy.jpg

I wonder if driver’s are still just struggling to correctly judge their position on the track with these new, wider cars. You have the above incident there, SVG running off into the grass in practice 1 and a few odd scrapes up against the wall in Newy too.

Last edited:
I wonder if driver’s are still just struggling to correctly judge their position on the track with these new, wider cars. You have the above incident there, SVG running off into the grass in practice 1 and a few odd scrapes up against the wall in Newy too.
I'd think so. They also sit further inboard and I think they also sit further back, then add to that the bonnet bulges and small glass house.

I know it took me a while to get used driving my GT because I was used to seeing the front corners (or near enough) in my previous car and I couldn't even come close to seeing where the front was just because of the bonnet bulge.

Maybe I should not have watched that race. Not for Shane's win and I'm happy for Erebus, but it's like the same stuff all the time, when watching on tv. Probably and more likely better, when at the track.

Well what a waste of time. That race was getting real spicy.
Agreed, the restart was awesome. Some of the best racing we’ve seen for a while even though it was 1 lap. Todays race looks like it’s gonna be exciting. Mixed up grid. The weather could be more of a factor. But for god sake extend the time limit so we get the full race. We’ve finished in the dark at Albert Park before and it was an awesome race.

Yeah, that race was an exception to my previous post. I was saying hold up, this got good. Then, Lebrocq of all drivers.

Best side by side pack racing I've seen in a long time, from this series.

But for god sake extend the time limit so we get the full race.
This ⬆️ 100%.

Eight laps completed of a fifteen lap race, but only five (edit: six if you count the dangerous as **** racing back to pit lane or the the safety car under full course caution conditions) of those were green flag laps. That's hardly a race.

Last edited:
Wow oh wow. What is going on. It’s frantic. I kinda like it, but holy smokes(no pun intended)!

Edit: New cars throwing up all types of problems. Teams stuffing up. It’s like Gran Turismo 2 Lap default racs…but, I was entertained.

Last edited:
Wow oh wow. What is going on. It’s frantic. I kinda like it, but holy smokes(no pun intended)!

Edit: New cars throwing up all types of problems. Teams stuffing up. It’s like Gran Turismo 2 Lap default racs…but, I was entertained.
Pit lane was a joke. For obvious reasons they were forced into this position. But still the Porsches are still racing in the dark, why couldn’t they extend the race. Still great action. Sprint racing will be great this year.

Pit lane was a joke. For obvious reasons they were forced into this position. But still the Porsches are still racing in the dark, why couldn’t they extend the race. Still great action. Sprint racing will be great this year.
I don't get why Porsches were the Main Event of Saturday over the Supercars anyway, I get why it can't be F1 Qualifying or F2 due to time restrictions for the rest of world but Supercars could fit that slot as a Night race better

Or, just give Supercars an extra slot from one of the days. Give Supercars the Thursday and Saturday slots from Porsche Cup. 30 laps and 26 laps for two of the races, should cover the Supercars championship needs. Carrera Cup can have Friday and Sunday.

Back