2023 Repco Supercars ChampionshipTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 769 comments
Is it fair to say that T8 is the super villain thus far? I mean SVG is one of the best drivers out there, but the team is so shady and easy to hate.
Hmm. It's tough. I've known abougt Triple Eight from the BTCC days. I actually didn't mind them with the Vauxhall Astras back then. When they joined V8 Supercars, they were great with the Falcons. Craig Lowndes was driving for them and they just acquired Whincup. All was good in the world. Then...

...Ford stuffed up. Ford cars were normally blue(Blue oval) and Holdens were team red(red Army/General, however you want to label them). T8 had the Vodafone sponsorship and it was a bit controversial about the livery. Someone correct me, but I think that's when T8 removed the Ford badge and inserted the Hog's Breath(a steakhouse franchise) logo in the grill, due to Ford pulling funding fromT8. The other major Ford teams were getting more assistance and those cars weren't entirely blue either.

T8 soon switched to Holden, even after winning championships and being pretty much the lone Ford team to beat Holdens at the time. Ford messed up big time.

So, it does seem like T8(Roland Dane) was just sticking it to Ford since switching brands. I can only gather him protesting Fords all those years, was some kind of payback and he was blatant about it. Plus, having the help of a past Holden boss and a past Holden driver/part-Supercars series owner and been commenting on the races.

Again, if anyone want to add anything I missed or is inaccurate on my part.

Having the best driver doesn't really make a team, villain. With that logic DJR Team Penske were villains when Scott McLaughlin was the best driver and they did shady stuff too (especially that one race at Bathurst with Fabian Coulthard)

But I wouldn't really call any of the big teams villains. They'd have to do a lot of **** for me to think they're evil

Last edited:
Having the best driver doesn't really make a team, villain. With that logic DJR Team Penske were villains when Scott McLaughlin was the best driver and they did shady stuff too (especially that one race at Bathurst with Fabian Coulthard)

But I wouldn't really call any of the big teams villains. They'd have to do a lot of **** for me to think they're evil
I didn’t mean that it just because SVG made them the villains. I meant more in spite of him. Political garbage has honestly killed this new car already.

Yeah I was wrong. Shane was doing the right thing. If they can’t be critical about the car and if there isn’t really anything good to talk about it and you can’t say anything bad, just stay silent. I watched the whole press conference and it painted a different picture than what Fox presented, which isn’t surprising that Fox did that.
Oh man, I missed all the fun after turning the race off as soon as it finished. :lol: Doesn't surprise me at all that the media are trying to create drama where there is none. And Skaife is my favorite driver of all time but man, his post race career has made it hard to continue to like him. God forbid a driver has something critical to say about the new cars.

Also, this explains the puff pieces from Larko, desperately trying to link Chev to the Holden's your parents might have owned. The series really needs to step away from the tribalism of the brands. Those days are gone now.

Last edited:
Also, this explains the puff pieces from Larko, desperately trying to link Chev to the Holden's your parents might have owned.
What about the 'market relevance' part for the Camaro? That was pure comedy gold :lol:
The series really needs to step away from the tribalism of the brands. Those days are gone now.
👆 This 100%. It's been more about favourite drivers and teams than manufacturers for me for a long time now. I'll still always have a soft spot for the 'Blue Oval' but the tribalism has long gone.

What about the 'market relevance' part for the Camaro? That was pure comedy gold :lol:
No, I missed that part sadly. :lol:
👆 This 100%. It's been more about favourite drivers and teams than manufacturers for me for a long time now. I'll still always have a soft spot for the 'Blue Oval' but the tribalism has long gone.
Yeah, part of me will always want WAU to do well but really, I don't have a horse in the race anymore. Just want to see good racing and a good championship battle.

Also, this explains the puff pieces from Larko, desperately trying to link Chev to the Holden's your parents might have owned. The series really needs to step away from the tribalism of the brands. Those days are gone now.
Yes, things have changed a lot. The traditional rivalry isn't really a thing anymore.

That I really don't get, I'm not even against non market relevant cars, I think it's fine as long as the manufacturer is represented, but don't pretend like it is.

As for the Tribalism, while I myself am starting to stray away from it even though I'll always have a soft spot for GM (Hell I havent even had a favourite driver to blindly root for since 2012l
). It is really the advertising crux the series has, I remember watching the Top 10 shoot out on Saturday and was having chats with a bunch of Chevrolet supporters while watching. I believe the people who root for the manufacturers are in the majority here and biy the merchandise even if the Drivers/Teams priority people are a lot more vocal.

I however find it strange that last year, they were talking about Holden no more but this year, they are doing a 180 with the Chevy just being a Holden. I even agree with that Chevy is just Holden, it's just GM at this point and I think it's silly that people were talkng Holden leaving but the fact this 180 for advertising sake is baffling

Last edited:
Hmm. It's tough. I've known abougt Triple Eight from the BTCC days. I actually didn't mind them with the Vauxhall Astras back then. When they joined V8 Supercars, they were great with the Falcons. Craig Lowndes was driving for them and they just acquired Whincup. All was good in the world. Then...

...Ford stuffed up. Ford cars were normally blue(Blue oval) and Holdens were team red(red Army/General, however you want to label them). T8 had the Vodafone sponsorship and it was a bit controversial about the livery. Someone correct me, but I think that's when T8 removed the Ford badge and inserted the Hog's Breath(a steakhouse franchise) logo in the grill, due to Ford pulling funding fromT8. The other major Ford teams were getting more assistance and those cars weren't entirely blue either.

T8 soon switched to Holden, even after winning championships and being pretty much the lone Ford team to beat Holdens at the time. Ford messed up big time.

So, it does seem like T8(Roland Dane) was just sticking it to Ford since switching brands. I can only gather him protesting Fords all those years, was some kind of payback and he was blatant about it. Plus, having the help of a past Holden boss and a past Holden driver/part-Supercars series owner and been commenting on the races.

Again, if anyone want to add anything I missed or is inaccurate on my part.
That’s 100% accurate
Next race meeting will be interesting. I guess it’s what the media will want.
Well I doubt there would much media attention being it’s the AGP next, but we’ll see what happens.

That I really don't get, I'm not even against non market relevant cars, I think it's fine as long as the manufacturer is represented, but don't pretend like it is.
👍
As for the Tribalism, while I myself am starting to stray away from it even though I'll always have a soft spot for GM (Hell I havent even had a favourite driver to blindly root for since 2012l
). It is really the advertising crux the series has, I remember watching the Top 10 shoot out on Saturday and was having chats with a bunch of Chevrolet supporters while watching. I believe the people who root for the manufacturers are in the majority here and biy the merchandise even if the Drivers/Teams priority people are a lot more vocal.
To me once drivers started defecting (so to speak) at the drop of a hat (cheque book) that pretty much ended things regarding brand loyalty to me, plus I admire so many from both the Ford and GM sides that I just can't be tribalistic about it. Perhaps it's age that's changed things? Or that I have an FPV sitting next to an HSV in my garage? I dunno. :P
I however find it strange that last year, they were talking about Holden no more but this year, they are doing a 180 with the Chevy just being a Holden. I even agree with that Chevy is just Holden, it's just GM at this point and I think it's silly that people were talkng Holden leaving but the fact this 180 for advertising sake is baffling
So many life long Holden heads I know are that pissed with what GM did to it's dealers that they followed WAU over to Ford, not so much that they're going for Ford, they're just still going for WAU. I think this may be the sort of thing that's causing the Chev/Holden confused advertising.

So good to have the Motorsport Festival back and there’s a great selection of cars on display this year, can’t wait to see the Can-Am McLaren, but would love to see some Le Mans prototypes and more modern F1 cars show up in the future.

Think it's something PACE want to see for themselves and maybe an update/amendment to the chassis? During the year?

Think it's something PACE want to see for themselves and maybe an update/amendment to the chassis? During the year?
I would've thought it would go to T8 if it was being looked at to be updated/amended, they designed it after all. PACE only construct, supply and seemingly now they also repair. Not sure why Tickford couldn't repair it though, they're more than capable. Unless they (Supercars) wanted a different set of (engineering) eyes to look over it. ¯\(ツ)

Maybe Skaifey and Supercars are falling out of love with T8 :sly:

I would've thought it would go to T8 if it was being looked at to be updated/amended, they designed it after all. PACE only construct, supply and seemingly now they also repair. Not sure why Tickford couldn't repair it though, they're more than capable. Unless they (Supercars) wanted a different set of (engineering) eyes to look over it. ¯\(ツ)

Maybe Skaifey and Supercars are falling out of love with T8 :sly:
I'm confused. T8? Don't tell me they homlogated both cars.

I'm confused. T8? Don't tell me they homlogated both cars.
They didn't homologate both but Triple Eight Race Engineering (not Red Bull Ampol Racing) did the original chassis design which is common to both makes so it seems reasonable to me that they'd be the ones to update it. PACE had nothing to do with either homologation or the chassis design work.

Edit: I should add that if there are to be any changes because of any findings from this prang it will mean changes for every car/chassis in the field. It's not like before when teams could just strengthen their own parts.

Check the source of this render:

This is also why the Ford engine didn't fit properly as it was only designed with the Camaro engine in mind ;)

Last edited:
Ah, yes, the engine part. Oh well, going to be looooong season if collisions are difficult to repair. Hope BJR can shake their bad luck in that regard.

Question, is this because how Gen3 are built or is it because supply chain problems due to the pandemic making difficult to get new parts?

Ah, yes, the engine part. Oh well, going to be looooong season if collisions are difficult to repair. Hope BJR can shake their bad luck in that regard.
Yes, the engine part... and the stupid steering running through a bush that's pressed into part of the removable chassis section because it wouldn't clear the chassis.:(
Question, is this because how Gen3 are built or is it because supply chain problems due to the pandemic making difficult to get new parts?
This accident damage and Courtney's car not making it back out to race was because of the way they're built. In Brad Jones terminology it's because ''for whatever reason'' they choose to split the front section in two part way along rather than split it at the firewall. JC's car bent the back part as well as the front so the new front didn't line up.

It's just far too intricate IMHO.

GM said they’ll continue running the Camaro in its racing programs after they stop producing the road car. But still not great after all the work to make a new race car for a road going car that’s gonna exist for one more year. It’s probably the last non-electric Camaro will ever see. Sad really.

I honestly don't mind race cars not be based on current road cars. I think it's a relatively niche demand nowadays and it's more about the brand itself being represented. Especially when it doesn't really change the core element, which is the racing

Just wish SC themselves would stop pretending it is but :lol:

Last edited:
GM said they’ll continue running the Camaro in its racing programs after they stop producing the road car. But still not great after all the work to make a new race car for a road going car that’s gonna exist for one more year. It’s probably the last non-electric Camaro will ever see. Sad really.
I'm more concerned about the GT4.R in the European GT4 series. :scared: I don't want that to go, but V8 Racing wouldn't do worse to start running the Mustang GT4.

So much for Gen3 being "manufacturer relevant", eh? Rip to Larko's puff pieces.

Honestly, the series should probably just move to GT4 regulations by '25. If they haven't been able to attract any new manufacturers at this point, it's probably never going to happen.

Back