2024 NTT INDYCAR SERIESOpen Wheel 

• Thread starter Spirit
  • 163 comments
That was a pretty big mistake by Pato. He was stronger out of 1 and 2 against Newgarden than he was out of 3 and 4.

Last edited:
Are you kidding me? WHAT A FINISH! Waiting for over four hours from a rain delay... and what follows is a banger of an Indy 500. Also, a banger of a finish. Unfathomable!

O'Ward was trying to time it correctly but he needed to be in the lead with 2 to go, not 1 to go. I also think the drive below the white line killed his momentum.

Pass needed to be done on the last lap on the backstretch, not at T1. The instant he did, I immediately thought he screwed up big.

Quick Insights
Powered by

Avg. Speed
On-Track Passes
Lead Changes
Race Leaders

Last edited:
Newgarden was a monster in T3-4, don't think Pato did much wrong, Newgarden just killed the last two turns and grabbed the milk. Congrats!

Quite a brave overtake to win putting a lot of trust in someone who also wants to win. Pato I think made it more easier by taking the inside line early allowing such a pass to be on. If he kept it more in the middle or outside, he could have been the one carrying the extra speed into the turn and would be very difficult for someone with the overspeed to make the tighter turn if having to make the move on the inside. At least he did a decent multiple save earlier on to be in with a chance.

Quite a brave overtake to win putting a lot of trust in someone who also wants to win. Pato I think made it more easier by taking the inside line early allowing such a pass to be on. If he kept it more in the middle or outside, he could have been the one carrying the extra speed into the turn and would be very difficult for someone with the overspeed to make the tighter turn if having to make the move on the inside. At least he did a decent multiple save earlier on to be in with a chance.
Newgarden just had a car that's been capable of making those moves alot.

Newgarden just had a car that's been capable of making those moves alot.
Pato was in a much better position than Marcus was last year in that he could take the racing line himself. Instead, he let Josef have his slipstream, open up the racing line for him like red carpet and go the inside line himself making any chance at the end impossible. It was like an open invitation to pass. Josef did not have to defend at all unlike he did against Marcus who was further behind relative to Pato due to this. If Pato, took the racing line, I think it would have been much harder for Josef to keep the speed up to remain ahead. The delta in speed would have switched in Pato's favour.

Pato was in a much better position than Marcus was last year in that he could take the racing line himself. Instead, he let Josef have his slipstream, open up the racing line for him like red carpet and go the inside line himself making any chance at the end impossible. It was like an open invitation to pass. Josef did not have to defend at all unlike he did against Marcus who was further behind relative to Pato due to this. If Pato, took the racing line, I think it would have been much harder for Josef to keep the speed up to remain ahead. The delta in speed would have switched in Pato's favour.
Thing is Pato lost alot of momentum with how he went to the inside, which combined with Newgarden not losing any speed out of 2 basically gave him an even bigger run into 3 (where he was always stronger) so Pato had no chance.

Last edited:
It’s wild how the build up to this race always produces insane level of hype that almost seem excessive, and then the race just goes and justifies it. This was one the best 500s in years!

You know what? I don't even blame Pato O'Ward for being bridesmaid at Indy. Dude was all disappointed with his head on the halo bar. Dreams can shatter like glass at Indy. When you crash out or narrowly miss victory, it HURTS. I kind of thought O'Ward was going to win the 2024 Indy 500. Then... so did Pato O'Ward. Then Josef Newgarden happened. The last 5-10 laps were just awesome.

Back