2024 US Presidential Election Thread

• Thread starter ryzno
  • 1,424 comments
@Rich S

In case you missed it Rich, I figured I'd ping you again on this one. I was asking how you think Biden is linked with inflation, looking for some numbers to back up the claim. So how about taking a shot at it? If you can't, that's fine, you might want to just re-think your assumptions.
I'll play devil's advocate on his behalf in the hope that you can shoot these figures full of holes.
It looks to me like these economists blame Joe's American Rescue Plan stimulus package for pouring fuel onto the inflationary fire (that Trump started with CARES). None of them seem to be able to quantify how much it added to the effect of Covid on the economy though.

Needless to say Trumpies like Ohio senatorial candidate Jane Timken are making political capital out of figures like these although it's hard to say what TFG would've done differently had he managed to cling onto power as I thought the free handouts @Rich S complains about started under him.

Last edited:
Inflation is high in America because it can be. Take fuel prices, there's no reason for prices to be as high as they are, especially when oil companies are turning record profits. The oil companies though just all raise their prices and are reaping the benefits. This is why Americans need to embrace alternative fuel vehicles. Once the demand for oil isn't there, the oil companies won't be able to fleece the general public as much.

Blaming the stimulus is stupid because most Americans didn't get enough money to really put a dent in anything. I think altogether my family got less than $10k out of all the payments and my wife's extra unemployment benefit when her industry shut down. $10k doesn't go very far at all, especially when rent is over $2k a month. Most people paid bills and just bought things to survive with the stimulus, it wasn't like they were going out and buying whatever. I'm sure there were some people that bought stuff. I know my brokeass, deadbeat brother-in-law bought a $3,000 TV while he was also begging money from my inlaws to pay credit card bills. But I'm not sure that was the majority of people.

Businesses got grants, but that was to keep them going when the government shut them down.

Really, largely inflation is just business owners having their heads up their asses. If you bleed the general public, they're not going to have money to buy your stuff which will make you lose money in the long run, but short-term profits will look good and that seems to be all they care about. I'm not sure how you fix this though without the government telling the businesses what to do, and that's an avenue I don't want to go down.

I mean, we had the worst pandemic in at least a century. You can't possibly expect that there won't be some economic repercussions. Had Trump & Biden not gone big on stimulus (each administration has responsibility here, but not fault I would say), I expect that the US economy would have ground to a halt from either the lockdown or simply fear of the economy grinding to a halt, or both. I think the outcome would have been worse. So we borrowed our way through it to keep the lights on, and now the bill is due. It's just...reality.

So we borrowed our way through it to keep the lights on, and now the bill is due. It's just...reality.
So for the next few years, reality will consist of doing with less money, food and energy. Reality is so...liberating. It is the good dearth.

But likely a few complainers amongst the electorate will want to blame somebody other than themselves, and not suffer gladly or alone.

Last edited:
To me it's like hot packing a swollen ankle instead of icing it.
Yeah, funny story, there's actually a fair debate around whether icing injuries impairs healing. I know we all got taught Rest/Ice/Compression/Elevation, but it turns out that it might not have been the best advice.

It turns out that there's lots of stuff in the world where what you feel like is instinctively the correct response isn't necessarily so.

What possible reason do you have to believe this?
I assume Joe Biden will not run for reelection due to his age, health, previous statements, 35% popularity and falling, rapidly worsening economic conditions, rapidly escalating economic and military conflicts with Russia, and most of all because of what is likely to happen on Election Day in November. When the other party takes control of the House and Senate, Democrats will turn on him. In the eyes of Democratic voters, there are many young, vigorous and able Democratic candidates who are more likely to defeat Trump in 2024. I think there are seven Democrats who presently have exploratory committees.

I'll play devil's advocate on his behalf in the hope that you can shoot these figures full of holes.
It looks to me like these economists blame Joe's American Rescue Plan stimulus package for pouring fuel onto the inflationary fire (that Trump started with CARES). None of them seem to be able to quantify how much it added to the effect of Covid on the economy though.

Needless to say Trumpies like Ohio senatorial candidate Jane Timken are making political capital out of figures like these although it's hard to say what TFG would've done differently had he managed to cling onto power as I thought the free handouts @Rich S complains about started under him.

Trump and the GOP would have passed a similar plan had they been in control. They bragged about the plan afterward (despite voting no). It's not fundamentally different than Trump's bailouts. In fact, to hear my financial advisor tell the story, the PPP loans under the Trump admin have more to do with inflation than anything else. Take that for whatever it's worth, which is not much.

The idea that stimulus during the Biden administration was "handouts" while Trump's bailouts were somehow not is hypercritical. Republicans were absolutely on board with a "relief" package, and many of them pitched alternatives.

Trump and the GOP would have passed a similar plan had they been in control. They bragged about the plan afterward (despite voting no). It's not fundamentally different than Trump's bailouts. In fact, to hear my financial advisor tell the story, the PPP loans under the Trump admin have more to do with inflation than anything else. Take that for whatever it's worth, which is not much.

The idea that stimulus during the Biden administration was "handouts" while Trump's bailouts were somehow not is hypercritical. Republicans were absolutely on board with a "relief" package, and many of them pitched alternatives.
Right, it's just a political game. Take credit for the good, and blame the bad on someone else as popularized by Trump. And people buy it, because x party said so.

Right, it's just a political game. Take credit for the good, and blame the bad on someone else as popularized by Trump. And people buy it, because x party said so.
But this existed a long time ago before Trump. Trump just decided to "supercharge" the political game.

Remember that time Trump absolutely blasted McConnell for blocking stimulus relief? Or that Trump's signature was on stimulus checks?

Yeah, conservatives love blocking that one out of their ***** fits about Biden & the stimulus.

I'm not sure how you fix this though without the government telling the businesses what to do, and that's an avenue I don't want to go down.
It would be nice if the government limited itself to being an enforcer of contracts. Regular people could decide on what they think are good practices for businesses to follow and then propose an agreement with different businesses to follow these rules. The benefit for the businesses would be recognition as contributors to bettering society, which might entitle them to things like financial assistance in hard times (ie this is the only way to get a bailout) or preferential status when the government is looking to make purchases.

I don't know how effective such a system would be at controlling prices specifically, but I think there is a lot of potential to give people more influence than voting allows while also keeping government power in check.

I assume Joe Biden will not run for reelection due to his age, health, previous statements, 35% popularity and falling, rapidly worsening economic conditions, rapidly escalating economic and military conflicts with Russia, and most of all because of what is likely to happen on Election Day in November. When the other party takes control of the House and Senate, Democrats will turn on him. In the eyes of Democratic voters, there are many young, vigorous and able Democratic candidates who are more likely to defeat Trump in 2024. I think there are seven Democrats who presently have exploratory committees.
lol. Trump is probably the only GOP candidate who could lose to Joe Biden right now. Again, Trump barely, barely beat a deeply flawed Democratic candidate in 2016 after 8 years of a Democratic administration and an enormous enthusiasm gap in his favor. And what happened after he got there? GOP lost control of the house, and then the Senate and the Presidency after four years of near-relentless scandal. He lost to a candidate possibly even more flawed, and definitely less enthusiastically supported than his opponent in 2016. Trump, mostly by sheer luck and not even by his own direction, appointed 3 conservative justices to the Supreme court. And he doubled the standard tax deduction. Importantly, both of these things were boiler plate GOP items that literally any GOP president would have done. Other than those two things and making a lot of noise, I find it hard to point to really anything that he actually did in the White House. He definitely alienated a huge swatch of suburban moderate voters though. The GOP would nominate Trump at their own peril because he is about the only thing that would motivate people to go out and vote for Joe Biden again.

lol. Trump is probably the only GOP candidate who could lose to Joe Biden right now. Again, Trump barely, barely beat a deeply flawed Democratic candidate in 2016 after 8 years of a Democratic administration and an enormous enthusiasm gap in his favor. And what happened after he got there? GOP lost control of the house, and then the Senate and the Presidency after four years of near-relentless scandal. He lost to a candidate possibly even more flawed, and definitely less enthusiastically supported than his opponent in 2016. Trump, mostly by sheer luck and not even by his own direction, appointed 3 conservative justices to the Supreme court. And he doubled the standard tax deduction. Importantly, both of these things were boiler plate GOP items that literally any GOP president would have done. Other than those two things and making a lot of noise, I find it hard to point to really anything that he actually did in the White House. He definitely alienated a huge swatch of suburban moderate voters though. The GOP would nominate Trump at their own peril because he is about the only thing that would motivate people to go out and vote for Joe Biden again.
I agree Trump was a terrible president. Electing him again would be twice as terrible. But the point of my post was Joe Biden, the strong probability he will not run again, and the need to find a better candidate to replace him with, one that can defeat any Republican candidate, including Trump. Due to rapidly deteriorating economic conditions, the voters are likely to reject Democrats at the polls come November, even incumbents. So no lol, but time to get serious.

I agree Trump was a terrible president. Electing him again would be twice as terrible. But the point of my post was Joe Biden, the strong probability he will not run again, and the need to find a better candidate to replace him with, one that can defeat any Republican candidate, including Trump. Due to rapidly deteriorating economic conditions, the voters are likely to reject Democrats at the polls come November, even incumbents. So no lol, but time to get serious.
Neither one should be running in 2024 because they are both going to be around 80, if not older during the years of their 2nd terms. Possibly need a candidate 15 to 20 years younger.

Neither one should be running in 2024 because they are both going to be around 80, if not older during the years of their 2nd terms. Possibly need a candidate 15 to 20 years younger.
Agreed. But both those pols have serious issues that go beyond mere age. I will vote for the candidate most likely to bring peace and prosperity. Usually that turns out to be an Independent or Libertarian, but in the 2020 primary campaign I sent my checks to a Democrat - Tulsi Gabbard.

I would go younger, but the olds would probably not go for that.

Trump just decided to "supercharge" the political game.

Come now, if we're talking about forced induction methods, then it has to be turbocharged:

• constantly gaping intake
  • excessive whining noises
  • lots of popularity lag out of the gates
  • added convolution meant a difficult fit
  • blow off priorities
  • power exists in a vacuum
  • extra heat due to self-created pressure
  • failure led to embarrassing loss of power
  • suffers from electronic failures later in term

To be fair, there was also a lot of early staff displacement.

Last edited:
Come now, if we're talking about forced induction methods, then it has to be turbocharged:

• constantly gaping intake
  • excessive whining noises
  • lots of popularity lag out of the gates
  • added convolution meant a difficult fit
  • blow off priorities
  • power exists in a vacuum
  • extra heat due to self-created pressure
  • failure led to embarrassing loss of power
  • suffers from electronic failures later in term

To be fair, there was also a lot of early staff displacement.
We do not know if he is Naturally Aspirated or he has a turbo charger.

All the world's current leaders are dinosaurs, and a comet is rushing to their imminent extinction.

I'm not convinced either way, but I'm also to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't run again for whatever reason(s). Makes me wonder who would step in to run in his place. Obviously there would be a primary and I was trying to think who the top candidates might be.

Then I had this thought:

What if Gavin Newsom ran for president with Matthew McConaughey as his running mate? Big Pomade would score a huge win.

Biden won't be running in '24.

I mean, he probably won't, but it's a bit much to state that as fact based on a speculative article about whether he will or not from "dnyuz.com" (whoever the hell that is),

I mean, he probably won't, but it's a bit much to state that as fact based on a speculative article about whether he will or not from "dnyuz.com" (whoever the hell that is),
The New York Times suggested that he may not run, but it's still quite early to pin this down. Of course, it might be a good idea for Democrats to look for someone a lot younger and will not be too far left (for the US). Having Sanders run for President will be a disaster.

The New York Times suggested that he may not run, but it's still quite early to pin this down. Of course, it might be a good idea for Democrats to look for someone a lot younger and will not be too far left (for the US). Having Sanders run for President will be a disaster.
If San Francisco is recalling progressive school boards and DAs, then nominating a progressive like Bernie is basically resigning from the race. I've noticed a shift in direction from the more politically ambitious Democrats lately (such as SF Mayor London breed and Gov. Newsom) towards a sort of moderate-liberal pragmatism. London breed straight up called parts of her own city "out of control" and described the street activity as "The ******** that has destroyed our city" which is unsubtle language I can't fathom liberals using during the Trump administration. The progressive reaction to Trump was quite strong and probably reached further than most moderate liberals were comfortable with, and certainly further than centrists were comfortable with. I think we're beginning to see a recalibration starting from northern CA and Sacramento.

Last edited:
DNyuz is an Armenian website that plagiarizes content word for word from major news sources. They literally copy and paste entire articles and embed their advertising code for profit. As one can imagine, a source like this completely lacks transparency as there is zero information to be found about authors, owners, location, or mission.
This particular piece appears to have been plagiarized from Fox News, so the information/speculation therein is really no less suspect.

This particular piece appears to have been plagiarized from Fox News, so the information/speculation therein is really no less suspect.
Probably the first article that pops after googling 'BIDEN SUCKS'

One of the minor figures with an outside chance at the 2024 GOP presidential nomination is the well-credentialed Mike Pompeo.

I agree Trump was a terrible president. Electing him again would be twice as terrible.
You spent the first two years of Trump's presidency describing Trump as the "peace and prosperity" President rather than the self-serving, narcissistic, traitorous jackass that he actually is.

You spent the first two years of Trump's presidency describing Trump as the "peace and prosperity" President rather than the self-serving, narcissistic, traitorous jackass that he actually is.
It's important to remember that Dotini offers absolutely nothing of value to discussion. Dotini just wants attention.

Latest Posts

Back