2024 World Endurance ChampionshipSports Cars 

• Thread starter ScottPuss20
  • 1,062 comments
First race is at the start of march. It doesn't seem so long since the last race of last season ended.

The 9X8 did look cool without a wing, but relying solely on ground effect was never going to work. It's like Nissan with their front-wheel-drive effort a few years back. These novel ideas might sound good, but there's a reason race car designs end up converging.
Well, yes, but F1 design in the late 1960s had also mostly converged on a single design until Colin Chapman introduced wings and spoilers to the Lotus 49B. And then everyone ran wings. Ten years later, F1 design was again mostly the same, until Colin Chapman introduced ground effects. And then everyone ran ground effects. There will always be innovators trying something new like the wingless 9X8 and the FWD Nissan. It won't always work, but when it does, it fundamentally changes the sport.

Well, yes, but F1 design in the late 1960s had also mostly converged on a single design until Colin Chapman introduced wings and spoilers to the Lotus 49B. And then everyone ran wings. Ten years later, F1 design was again mostly the same, until Colin Chapman introduced ground effects. And then everyone ran ground effects. There will always be innovators trying something new like the wingless 9X8 and the FWD Nissan. It won't always work, but when it does, it fundamentally changes the sport.
You make a fair point, but FWD and not having wings were already known quantities, so I'm not sure it was ever realistic to look for a breakthrough in those areas. Advances in race car design have become more incremental over time, so I wonder what the next big breakthrough might be.

You make a fair point, but FWD and not having wings were already known quantities, so I'm not sure it was ever realistic to look for a breakthrough in those areas. Advances in race car design have become more incremental over time, so I wonder what the next big breakthrough might be.
I suspect enough computer modeling had been done by Nissan and Peugeot to convince them that it was worth giving it a try in the real world. It’s disappointing neither concept worked, but I applaud the effort. Also, when you’re a team attempting to break the dominance of Audi or Toyota, it makes sense to take chances and hope for a breakthrough rather than doing exactly like everyone else and always being a half step behind.

1000012773.jpg

Allez les Blues! Alpine brings the pride of France to the World Endurance Championship with their new challenger and I have to say that it's a properly good looking race car. Will they be competitive enough to show up the establishment? Only time will tell.

Last edited:
Alpine factory drive Paul Loup Chatin is making friends in the Asian Lemans series finally today. The #4 LMP2 car was the championship leader before that move. The #55 Proton car knew it had a 60 sec stop/go penalty to serve for a engine change yet tried to pass the entire field on lap 1.

Alpine factory drive Paul Loup Chatin is making friends in the Asian Lemans series finally today. The #4 LMP2 car was the championship leader before that move. The #55 Proton car knew it had a 60 sec stop/go penalty to serve for a engine change yet tried to pass the entire field on lap 1.

I was watching that this morning. On the second incident I don't know how he thought he was going to make that corner. Just let the GT car make the corner and overtake him later.

Le Mans entry list is out, 23 Hypercars

The list itself:

Also, the reigning IndyCar champion will be there, too:

Checked out the app myself, $49.99 in the US but at least they're upfront that neither Le Mans, nor the COTA round is included for the US or Canada (except Quebec). The separate LM24 and COTA races are also geoblocked. Last year I just paid like 5 bucks for the Motortrend subscription, I guess it's gonna work like that this year, too, don't want to miss the race.

Last edited:
This is great! I already have Max through AT&T, no need for the extra sub then!!
I'm subscribed to Max already, so there's nothing more for me to do except watch the races.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back