24 Heures du Mans 12th-13th June 2010

• Thread starter Ardius
  • 1,641 comments
My mistake - the R15 (with illegal aero configuration) won at Sebring not the R15+. The reason it did not participate was because Peugeot was lodging complaints that the R15 had an illegal aero setup. Audi revised, creating the R15+, but since it was not yet approved and since Peugeot did not want to risk its International Cup points, they would not let the R15+ run in the 12hr, or the race would not count. Or so Ive read.

My mistake - the R15 (with illegal aero configuration) won at Sebring not the R15+. The reason it did not participate was because Peugeot was lodging complaints that the R15 had an illegal aero setup. Audi revised, creating the R15+, but since it was not yet approved and since Peugeot did not want to risk its International Cup points, they would not let the R15+ run in the 12hr, or the race would not count. Or so Ive read.
A little clarification:

Peugeot lodged a complaint in 2009 leading up to the 24 Hours of Le Mans. The ACO rejected their complaint. The 2010 rules reduced the size of diesel LMP1 air restrictors and supercharger boost, forcing Audi to do a redesign.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_R15_TDI
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/15/audi-r15-plus-tdi-shows-off-new-more-aerodynamic-nose/
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20090611/alms/906119993

No one cheated or had anything illegal.

Last edited:
Somewhere I read that. I didnt just make it up. I know regarding the 2010 Sebring race Kristensen stated that "Audi Sport was originally planning to contest the race with an interim car. But, unfortunately, not all our rivals agreed to that." That makes me think that while yes the air restrictors were made smaller, replacing the restrictors on the R15 wasnt good enough for Peugeot. They wanted Audi to change the design.

Im looking for my reference that speaks of illegal front aero design that prompted Peugeot to make the complaint. I dont think it was flat out rejected by the ACO. I seem to remember there may have been some rule bending due to time. If not, Im an idiot, and dont want to spread stupid info.

Edit: Peugeot and other manufacturers thought the Audi design was illegal. Peugeot directors were quoted saying it was more about clarification then a direct attack. The ACO at some point or another did have some items that Audi needed to address before the car was good to go. Peugeot said they would go to the FIA if the complaint was not addressed. Peugeot won the 24 in 09 and dropped the complaint, in that order although not officially related.

Last edited:
Completly agree with ya Grenade :D

Right, following on from what others have posted, here are my cars that I'll be cheering on in the race:

LMP1 - I'll be ignoring the Peugeots and Audis and allowing them to have their duel, as they inevitably will, for overall honours, and I'll save my rant about how all fuel types should be equal, and no priority given to one fuel type (as they have with diesel) for later, and instead go to the cars I'll be looking out for: The Mansell team, for sentimental reasons as I'm a massive fan of Nigel Mansell, and the three Aston Martins - I'm assuming they're all still resplendant in Gulf Oil colours? Man, those cars are to die for, and as Grenade's video demonstrates, they sound the business too :D

LMP2 - I'm torn between the Pescarolo, for sentimental reasons, and the Patron Highcroft team, having seen their performances in the ALMS, I have much respect for them :)

GT1 - Is it me or is GT1 in decline? Never seen such a low number of entries for it! I'd dig one of the Ford GTs to take victory :)

GT2 - Corvettes all the way, of course. Love them. Should be a fantastic battle, I'm imaging the Laguna Seca battle x100 between the Vettes, BMWs, Ferraris and Porsches...epic! Also, I notice a lone Aston Martin N24 has snuck it's way in, it'll be interesting to see how it does :)

Me too, those diesels aint got nothing on the Aston.:sly:

Thought I might as well get my support in also:

LMP1 - Out of the diesels I want Audi Sport Team Joest to win. But my main support will be with Aston Martin racing & Drayson racing, i'd love them to win overall but it's not going to happen if the diesels have a trouble free race.:indiff:

LMP2 - Not massively fussed on this class, though i'd like one of the British teams to win. If not, then Highcroft Racing.👍

GT1 - Very, Very tough for me to decide this year. It would be so awesome if JLOC won but it's highly doubtful. So I will be supporting all of the Ford GT's and Young Driver AMR, I want a Ford GT to take the win though.

GT2 - A nice amount of entries, there are going to be some EPIC battles.:) BMW Motorsport for me.👍

Falcon787B
GT2 - I notice a lone Aston Martin N24 has snuck it's way in, it'll be interesting to see how it does :)

Wouldn't do very well.;) The N24 is a GT4 spec car, the car entered is a proper GT2 machine, like the one entered by Drayson racing last year.👍

lm-green-gt2-480x320.jpg

Thanks for the heads up Tommi! :dunce: Complete moment of stupidity from me, I thought the N24 was a bit of an odd choice to race in the 24hrs...the GT2 varient makes a lot more sense :dopey:

Is it me or does anybody else get the feeling that the Aston Martin is almost the modern-day descendent of the old Toyota GT-One? I loved that car :)

I like the sound of the diesel LMP cars better.:P Although diesel has a putrid smell and gets a greasy smelly mess on your hands when you're filling up.

Eurosport usually broadcast the Legends/Classic races, don't know whether any other places will stream them.

Did anyone else notice that in those videos posted where they're testing at monza they have the straights like the old monza? In other words they go straight through the built in chicanes where the F1 cars brake for. The first video you can see it at 3:50. Looks like they were testing top speed because that's what monza is all about. pure awesome, but no diesel car sounds like that Aston, that's one of the best sounds in motorsport.

I like the sound of the diesel LMP cars better.:P Although diesel has a putrid smell and gets a greasy smelly mess on your hands when you're filling up.

I also think they sound oddly cool. I'm assuming your kidding about the diesel though?, for the sake of information check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-low_sulfur_diesel

Eventually, I've read that audi is planning a BTL diesel(biomass to liquid) car coupled with hybrid electric drive:future of the race car? These cars are probably cleaner than your street car.;)

Last edited:
http://www.lemans.org/en/news/A-new-starting-ceremony-_432.html

LeMans.org
The details:
After the official photo on 12th June at 13h55, the 168 drivers will line up per crew opposite their car parked in herringbone style according to the starting order. The driver nominated to take the start at 15h00 will be in full racing kit with his two team-mates in their overalls by his side.
The winner’s trophy returned by Peugeot will arrive at the top of the pits straight at 14h05. As it passes by, the two team-mates of each driver taking the start will join the mechanics behind their respective cars.
Once the trophy has been given to President Jean-Claude Plassart the tension will rise a few notches, and the drivers lined up along the white line will be ready to cross the track.
The Clerk of the Course will give them the signal at 14h15. They will cross the track, and will have 7 minutes to get properly installed and belted up in their car with the help of their mechanics. At 14h22, the Clerk of the Course will give the green light successively to each car, which can go though the pit line until 14h37.
The cars will then line up on the grid for the flying start. The passage of the French Patrol (aerobatics) will be the signal to begin the formation lap before the flag falls at 15h00!

;)

These cars are probably cleaner than your street car.;)

I highly doubt it. These cars have a long way to go before you can even call them something remotely close to clean. Even though the diesel cars might have better mileage, it's still diesel and all these machines burn an incredible amount of fuel over the 24 hours duration.

I also think they sound oddly cool. I'm assuming your kidding about the diesel though?, for the sake of information check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-low_sulfur_diesel

Eventually, I've read that audi is planning a BTL diesel(biomass to liquid) car coupled with hybrid electric drive:future of the race car? These cars are probably cleaner than your street car.;)

I'm talking from experience, you try working in a place that has poor ventilation when a diesel car is left running just out in the workshop, it'll make you want to vomit. Even walking past the back of a diesel car that's been running a few minutes will have you dry reaching. Then when you fill up with diesel at the service stations, there's always run off from the bowser, and diesel residue on the handle, which gets on your hands, smells like crap, and makes a mess of everything you touch.
Hell, even when you're following some crappy old fourbie on the highway those putrid diesel fumes waft into your car, and that's travelling at 100km/hr!

I highly doubt it. These cars have a long way to go before you can even call them something remotely close to clean. Even though the diesel cars might have better mileage, it's still diesel and all these machines burn an incredible amount of fuel over the 24 hours duration.

Your streetcar would burn an incredible amount of fuel over 24hrs run like that aswell.
Haven´t you guys seen the videoclip where the Audi engineers drink the water coming from the R10 exhaust? The diesel cars has to have a particle filter, just as the gasoline cars has to have a catalytic converter. The difference is that diesel comes out alot cleaner than gas. Less CO2 and more water. And running on BTL sets very small carbon footprints compared to normal fuel. On the hand, gasoline camp could switch to acrylate gasoline, wich is much cleaner than conventional gas.

These racecars are cleaner than you might think.

I've made a TV guide of the Eurosport coverage 👍, as well as the main programmes there's up-dates called "Le Mans 24 minutes" these start on Monday, but there's so many (20+) I'm not going to list them.