24 Heures du Mans 2011 - 79th Grand Prix d'Endurance - June 11-12

• Thread starter Ardius
  • 2,362 comments
Great race! Congrats Audi and Corvette. Congrats to Lucas and his teammates as well, 2nd in class is excellent!

Really deserved victory to audi, epic.
I'm happy about the vette in gtepro and also for the 458 italia with Giancarlo Fisichella and his teammates, good work.

What a great race. Audi has done it all, dominating formula racing in the 30's, the Group B rally in the 80's, Le Mans in the 2000's and now, another win!

It's about 5 minutes to midnight here in Sydney. Gonna get some sleep and get up for the F1.

Thanks for keeping me awake for the second half of the race, guys. As it's too late for me to go to bed, I've got a whole day ahead of me yet. Hello, F1?

Congratulations to the Audi team for winning a very hard-fought battle up front, and to everyone whose car was running at the end. 24 hours is a really long time to run around a track without any major mistakes or breakdowns, and making it all the way to the finish is an achievement in and of itself. 👍

Anything interesting happen the last 8 hrs of the race? Had to go to sleep and woke up this morning only to see that the race has ended. :(

Audi completely deserved that win, after the accidents with McNish and Rocky there was no other team that I wanted to win more. It was flawless for #2, typical Audi precision.

In all, a superb race. Massive congratulations to every team that made the finish, they all should be proud of their achievements. Was very surprised to see teams like Robertson Racing and the Jet Alliance Lotus Evora's making the finish, I imagine both teams will be back with a vengeance next year!

I know I didn't comment much in the thread but I've been following it the whole time. It's been great guys. Can't wait until next year, although hopefully I'll actually be there rather than following it through a TV screen. 👍

I have to say, this was the first year I've actually sat down and watched the majority of Le Mans, Not sure what I've been doing the last 10 years of my life, but I definitely won't be missing another one. A couple of things I took away from this weekend...Sarthe is absolutely beautiful...sunrise up the front stretch...amazing. The speed difference between the LMP's and GT's...I can't believe they put them all on the same track at the same time. And the endurance of the driver's and the car's. To be running at the end of 24 hrs. at a place like Sarthe is accomplishment in and of itself. And the two massive incidents with the Audi's. What a testament to Automotive Technology that those guys were able to walk away from that kind of crash. Congrats to Audi, great run for Peugeot(the first LMP I bought in GT5) and congrats to the great American thoroughbred Corvette.

Last edited:
I have to say, this was the first year I've actually sat down and watched the majority of Le Mans, Not sure what I've been doing the last 10 years of my life, but I definitely won't be missing another one.

Don't forget, in two weeks time, the 24 hours of the Nordschleife 👍

Will that be televised in the same way as Le Sarthe?

I think the race should be available in most European Sports Channel like Matzell 89 or something but except for Eurosport. Otherwise just tune in to Radio Le Mans or look for some internet stream to watch the race during daytime because like last year during the night time, the won't be any on-track cameras...

No cameras at night? Any idea why, seems odd. Cheers for the info anyway. 2011 was my first Le Mans, now I'm hooked.

No cameras at night? Any idea why, seems odd. Cheers for the info anyway. 2011 was my first Le Mans, now I'm hooked.

I know this is going to sound really odd, they decided to take away the trackside cameras for safety because the campers drink beers and tend to get drunk enough to destroy anything on the side of the track including the cameras... Also with visibility because there'll be no trackside lights to make it brighter for the camera to see the cars on track. That's at least what I heard last year from RLM.

That's a stupid reason. I wouldn't mind watching it it night vision green :)

:lol:

I know, well that's what they said... I watch the race last year through an internet stream and during night time they will only activate the camera on the first corner pointing to the main straight at the Nurburgring GP circuit. Depends a lot on Radio Le Mans and timing screen. An event not to be missed for sure ;)

Hopefully I can catch the race...

Onboard cams would be great. If there is real coverage I'll pay for it rather than find a random website at the last minute.

I'm totally hooked as well. Same seems to aply to my wife too. I had to miss the start because of a cousin's badly planned wedding and asked my wife to message me if there happened anything interesting during the start. She ended up watching the race whole evening on her own and sending me situational updates during the time i had to suffer my relatives, even though she didn't really need to. I do love her... :D

I have to admit that I only tuned into Le Mans because of this place and I have to ask: Is it always this good? That was some amazing racing! I was only tuning in to check up on the #26 car and stayed up till 3am (set) !

I look forward to tuning in for more of this.

Yup, it's been stated that he pulled over to the right, forcing the #1 R18 off the track and, thus, has been suspended.

I think it was the same car (no.58?) that McNish hit earlier on. How none of the spectators were killed is a miracle.

I have to admit that I only tuned into Le Mans because of this place and I have to ask: Is it always this good? That was some amazing racing! I was only tuning in to check up on the #26 car and stayed up till 3am (set) !

I look forward to tuning in for more of this.

This was apparently the tightest margin of victory after 1969. But there is a lot of drama and other kind of excitement in endurance racing. My favourite type of motorsports. :)

I think it was the same car (no.58?) that McNish hit earlier on. How none of the spectators were killed is a miracle.

The 58 was the one in the Mcnish crash. It was the Kauffman/Waltrip car (79 I believe) that was the case for the Rockenfeller accident.

wow missed the finish but thank god for youtube. What a finish! 15-odd second gap is amazing after 24 hours between two intense competitors. Congrats to Audi for overcoming the adversity they did, after McNish turned into #58 and narrowly avoided tragedy, then Rocky was bumped into a horrible crash by Waltrip's Ferrari, and one Audi somehow beats three diesel sharks :)

I'm sorry to 58 and 59 who retired though I was asleep when it happened so I don't know the cause. But also congrats to Lotus for coming in 7th in GTPro! That will go a long way toward their development of the Evora for the series.

Oh and a begrudging congrats to Corvette...

Last edited:
This was my 1st LE Mans I really enjoyed it 👍

That new Audi R18 is a beast. Very beautiful and sleek. All those cars look wonderful and sexy :dopey:

I plan to watch this event for many years to come.

The local broadcaster show the race during the day but switch their cameras off at night. That leaves a couple of stationary cameras to display through the night. One of them is on the outside of the hairpin on the new Nurburgring track and I can't remember the location of the other one. I posted last year that I thought some of the teams where missing out on a sponsor visibility opportunity by not streaming from in car cameras.

Back