24 Heures du Mans 2011 - 79th Grand Prix d'Endurance - June 11-12

• Thread starter Ardius
  • 2,362 comments
Yeah also from everything I saw Luxury Racing didn't cause any crashes during the race, got hit by an audi and then ran off into the gravel on a separate incident, didn't see any other cars involved (58). Not sure what happened to 59 who was running top 5 GT Pro then suddenly had car troubles and eventually retired? So confused about that thought it was one of the stronger GT cars aside from Corvette and BMW (and Porsche, I don't need to speak for them in racing).

I could have missed something though, I was asleep for most of the end.

This is probably the best Le Mans I have seen since I started watching. Greatly deserved victories to Audi and Corvette 👍

This was apparently the tightest margin of victory after 1969. But there is a lot of drama and other kind of excitement in endurance racing. My favourite type of motorsports. :)

Well I had always thought of endurance racing like baseball; Fun to play but watching it, something like watching paint dry. I look forward to being wrong about that.

EPIC RACE
missed the start cos i was coming back from my hols, but then stayed up most of the night
congrats to Audi, Greves, Corvette and Larbre on their victorys
also, glad no one was hurt in the McNish and Rockenfella accidents

I hate to ask in fear that it was posted already, but is there a website that shows each teams individual laptimes? I'm just curious as to whom the best times cam from on the signatech team.

I hate to ask in fear that it was posted already, but is there a website that shows each teams individual laptimes? I'm just curious as to whom the best times cam from on the signatech team.

I'm not sure about a source for lap times but, they reported on Radio Le Mans that Ordonez was about 2 seconds slower than his team mates which is pretty good going for your first time at Le Mans, if thats what your after anyway!

I didn't get to see all of the race. I guess for Audi's sake, at least one of the three not only came home, but finished P1 (most important). That's like losing your star players for your favorite sporting team, but still winning a championship. • And you know what? I'm damned proud for Lucas O. for making the LMP2 podium. • GM should be plenty happy to have Corvettes win in GTE-Pro and GTE-Am.

Le Mans is always the must-watch race for me each year. This one was no different with all the attrition and drama. Congratulations to all survivors (because you don't finish Le Mans... you SURVIVE Le Mans).

Last edited:
RobGT81
I'm not sure about a source for lap times but, they reported on Radio Le Mans that Ordonez was about 2 seconds slower than his team mates which is pretty good going for your first time at Le Mans, if thats what your after anyway!

I'd like to see how did everyone do. Ordonez is the local celebrity, but I was hoping to see a full spectrum.

And you know what? I'm damned proud for Lucas O. for making the LMP2 podium for the great Oreca team..

Minor point, but he was driving for Signatech (otherwise known as Signature), not Oreca.

The car was an Oreca chassis though (think of it like Pescarolo who also sell and supply chassis to other teams).

Jut finished watching almost every minute of the race over two days. Unbelievable! So happy to see Audi bring the #2 car home in 1st after all that happened to them. Amazing to see how battered the winning car was in parc ferme at the end of the race. Too much to comment on, just wanted to share my thoughts. There's no way I'm not going to the race next year!

2011 24 Hours of Le Mans First Hour (Part 1 of 5)

[YOUTUBEHD]jk_vqt_xtG8[/YOUTUBEHD]

2011 24 Hours of Le Mans First Hour (Part 2 of 5)

[YOUTUBEHD]5EOt3nuVEJ0[/YOUTUBEHD]

2011 24 Hours of Le Mans First Hour (Part 3 of 5)

[YOUTUBEHD]BT1Zf3tV1oE[/YOUTUBEHD]

2011 Allan McNish Le Mans crash as it happened/ Dr. Ullrich interview

[YOUTUBEHD]G9nVFLA7vmk[/YOUTUBEHD]

Though not to the extent in those previous years, they already have ;)

Well I don't really see being an engine supplier as a full return to motorsports. I do hope it may be a sign of a future entry into the series again, though. Honestly I do not understand why such a big and important manufacturer as Toyota with so much motorsport history isn't involved in a serious branch of autoracing. NASCAR and Super GT is a "meh".

Well I don't really see being an engine supplier as a full return to motorsports. I do hope it may be a sign of a future entry into the series again, though. Honestly I do not understand why such a big and important manufacturer as Toyota with so much motorsport history isn't involved in a serious branch of autoracing. NASCAR and Super GT is a "meh".

Well Toyota could easily have let go everyone and sold their Cologne base but they've kept it going, selling and supplying engines, renting out the windtunnel and running an F1 car for Pirelli to use for testing.
They clearly are keeping their options open, certainly a return to Prototypes is not completely unlikely.

Word is that Mazda are holding meetings with the ACO about possbily returning, Nissan are already slowly building up their involvement with their own engine supply too. Rumours of Porsche looking at LMP1...Group Lotus stated an LMP desire too.

Personally I think motor racing is better with car manufacturers remaining as engine suppliers. When they start running their own race teams and full blown operations..they start bringing up the costs of victory as they are willing to outspend each other. This slowly results in manufacturers leaving again because the cost of getting it wrong becomes too much and none of the privateer teams can possibly compete, so it leaves 1 or 2 manufacturers dominating.
I hope we get more manufacturers in all forms of motorsport, but I don't want it to go out of control like it did in the 90s...thats how we ended up where we are with only 1 or 2 manufacturers in nearly every motorsport championship.

Sure about that? I don't see why, its important for Porsche as a brand, just as it is for Audi. There comes a point where VAG are going to want the marketing for several brands.

They've already done it with Bentley.

Sure about that? I don't see why, its important for Porsche as a brand, just as it is for Audi. There comes a point where VAG are going to want the marketing for several brands.

They've already done it with Bentley.

Generally speaking no one thinking of buying an Audi or Bentley as their primary car is in the market for the other make. There are Audi's in the same market area as the lower end Porsches. It is not in the nature of big business to spend effort to defeat itself. It's just a shame that a small number of huge manufacturers own the rights to so many small manufacturers.

Yes VAG will want to utilise their separate brands. In separate championships or less important classes.

Porsche already have an LMP1 on the drawing board. ;) Lots of gossip about it at Le Mans this year. Should be along in time to defend their record wins.

That's rumour and gossip, not fact. I hope it's true, there's no car I'd rather see on the grid that a proper Porsche LMP1 but I'm not holding my breath over it.

Generally speaking no one thinking of buying an Audi or Bentley as their primary car is in the market for the other make. There are Audi's in the same market area as the lower end Porsches. It is not in the nature of big business to spend effort to defeat itself. It's just a shame that a small number of huge manufacturers own the rights to so many small manufacturers.

Yes VAG will want to utilise their separate brands. In separate championships or less important classes.

That's rumour and gossip, not fact. I hope it's true, there's no car I'd rather see on the grid that a proper Porsche LMP1 but I'm not holding my breath over it.

Its borderline rumour/fact, its pretty much nailed on it just needs Porsche to confirm it. I doubt it will be confirmed until well into production if not testing phase. Start holding your breath :)

Latest Posts

Back