• Thread starter Sureboss
  • 441 comments

Sureboss

Tanned and Lipstick'd
Premium
United Kingdom
UK
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7957788.stm

Bernie Ecclestone has revealed there will be at three new teams joining Formula 1 next season.

The F1 supremo said 26 cars will be on the starting grid for the 2010 campaign and that a medals-system will determine the championship.

"We'll have 26 cars on the grid next year - we've got a lot of people confirmed," said Ecclestone.

Interesting stuff, makes for a nice big grid, and who said that the sport wasn't attractive?

-----------

I'm not quoting the rest of the article.

Is this the same Bernie Ecclestone who, 3 months ago, said that the medals system was in for this season and the FIA and teams were right behind it - just before the FIA and FOTA said "Err... what medals system is that then?"

And a week ago said that the most wins system was definitely in for this season and the FIA and teams were right behind it - just before FOTA said "Errr... How about :censored:ing NO, Bernie?"

He's probably trying another flanker on in an attempt to show some teams that there's more waiting to take their places and if they don't like it they can bugger off. If there's even ONE team confirmed right now for next year (other than Ferrari, who are paid £52m a year to take part) I'd be surprised.

I will be surprised if anyone new other than USGPE arrives next season. The budget rules are rediculous but may see new privateer teams coming in, but F1 is still a rediculously expensive thing to join during times like this, regardless of how cheap they make it. All they are doing at the moment is keeping the current teams in, but it seems Bernie doesn't realise this and wants to threaten the teams, or at the very least the idea of FOTA.

Will we finally see Bernie's downfall this year?

I bet if I told him I would be running two modified go-karts next year, I am sure Bernie would announce 28 cars on the grid.

The way I see it (and I am sure many others), Bernie is trying to tell FOTA they can quit if they want to F1 will get along just fine. Of course that's not the things would really happen.

The sooner Bernie sells up the better. Unless of course someone just as bad buys it off him. :ill:

Hopefully Bruno Senna will show up on one of those teams. He would crush the competition(as long as he stays away from honda or force india)

And exactly what are those 3 teams?

Or is this just another one of Bernie's desperate attempts to cling to his senseless control of F1?

We, ONE of those entered is the USF1 program...Even though there hasn't been any new news on them since they're press confrence back at the start of March...

Another party interested in a team is Tony Texeira, the boss of the A1GP series. He had attempted to buy what is now known as Force India TWICE, STR from Red Bull AND Honda this year...For the third...*Shrugs*Alejandro Agagg? Richard Branson from Virgin? SEAN JOHN?!? Take your pick...

Of course Bernie's gotten quite crotchety in his old age and you COULD say he's gotten a little..."Crazy" trying to keep control of F1. But i think Bernie's trying to make a statement about F1, as a team-based series, is run: All of the major manufacturers come in and spend money like drunken sailors for What? To finish SECOND? So why not try to tap into that idea with a series that rewards the successful?

Of course, this kind of thing is acceptable in athletics; Do you see the Silver medalist at the Olympics get on a Wheaties box? But there's something wrong with this kind of mentality in racing: When they (They being the manufacturers) get disgruntled from beating themselves up over SECOND, what do they do?

THEY LEAVE, just like Ford did, just like Honda did and just like Toyota and Renault have threatend to do.

This, ladies & germs, is Bernie's nihilistic,too-late response to the threats of a break-away series that had died down over the off-season due to the world economy tanking.

*Whew*...Nice to get that off my chest!

I dreamt this would happen. But the three teams were Minardi, Jordan, and Ligier!

Hopefully Bruno Senna will show up on one of those teams. He would crush the competition(as long as he stays away from honda or force india)

Proof please, oh there isn't any? And he wonders why Brawn didn't take him on. :rolleyes:

I think it would be easy for him to stay away from Honda, lol.

Man I'm a pretty big fan but that assumption is wrong on quite a few levels :)

Here we go again... Mr. E seems to be tireless in his attempts to sink F1 into oblivion.
I think he feels that F1 somehow is his brainchild, and that his reign is coming to and end, and so, he wants F1 to die with him 💡.
Seriously, what´s he doing? FOTA can´t be that bad for him, can it? Bernie has always been able to use most things to his own advantage, but it seems he has really lost his touch. But going down the fable-and-lies road is a bit low even for Bernie.

Well the problem is for a 26 car grid we actually need 4 teams.
USGPE
Hyundai F1
Another new team
Somebody who buys STR (From memory they want to sell up by end of this year due to the customer car regulations)

Well the problem is for a 26 car grid we actually need 4 teams.
USGPE
Hyundai F1
Another new team
Somebody who buys STR (From memory they want to sell up by end of this year due to the customer car regulations)

The another new team is Prodrive F1...

The another new team is Prodrive F1...

Prodrive has been looking to enter for years now and they were close to entering for 09 but withdrew from any 09 entry because of the rule changes for 2010 where they couldn't use a customer car anymore. A 1 year stint in f1 would be pointless for them.

USGPE has been confirmed and has a website running

Hyundai F1 at least has a website going so it is possible.

Prodrive F1 though there is nothing to indicate they will enter especially considering the reasons they withdrew from entering for 09.

So at the moment I'd say we only have 2 new teams that are likely to be added to the 2010 season. Possibly even just one if one of the two buy STR.

Prodrive has been looking to enter for years now and they were close to entering for 09 but withdrew from any 09 entry because of the rule changes for 2010 where they couldn't use a customer car anymore. A 1 year stint in f1 would be pointless for them.

USGPE has been confirmed and has a website running

Hyundai F1 at least has a website going so it is possible.

Prodrive F1 though there is nothing to indicate they will enter especially considering the reasons they withdrew from entering for 09.

So at the moment I'd say we only have 2 new teams that are likely to be added to the 2010 season. Possibly even just one if one of the two buy STR.

Actually, you're referring to 2008 there with Prodrive. They had intended to join for that season but it depended on the customer cars being allowed beyond 2010, which obviously didn't happen.
The only way Prodrive were considering 2009 was that they (or rather David Richards) considered purchasing Honda/Brawn (and thus not needing a customer car) but again decided against it because they felt the costs of running a F1 team competitively were still not low enough and they didn't feel that the future changes would make it low enough still.

Perhaps they will change their mind eventually, they clearly want to join the championship, but it all depends on whether they consider it feasible enough to start a team and be competitive without huge amounts of money.

Anyway, very interesting to hear about Lola....lets hope it goes better than the last time they tried..

If Lola and Prodrive do indeed join with British licenses, the number of British-licensed teams would be 5 (McLaren, Williams, Brawn, Lola, Prodrive) and the number of British-based and/or majority staffed would be 7 (Red Bull and Force India being included) possibly even 8 if we include Renault though I don't know the details of their base or their staff (I'm assuming British because they are a follow-on of Benetton). This plus the return of the classic Ferrari and the return of privateer teams being able to challenge for the championship is shaping up to sound very much like the 80s era of F1....

I remember him saying something about it being ok for any of the big teams(ferrari,mclaren,renault etc) to have 3 cars rrather than 2.

Its in the rules, for that to happen though, they have to have less than 9 teams and that was only mentioned because we thought the Honda team wouldn't be here this year and it was looking likely for a couple of other teams might drop out like Toyota and Renault.

You've got your facts mixed there though, because it isn't "just the big teams" - any team could field 3 cars, not just McLaren, Renault or Ferrari.

It doesn't matter now though, its unlikely for us to go under 9 teams at the moment, though I think Renault are looking increasingly likely to pull out.

How is Hyundai gonna jump the engine freeze?
I'd say they'd be allowed to develop their own engine from scratch simply to allow them to compete - there's no way they'd agree to running anyhting but their own powerplant - but I think they'd have to develop it under a very close eye from the FIA.

I'd say they'd be allowed to develop their own engine from scratch simply to allow them to compete - there's no way they'd agree to running anyhting but their own powerplant - but I think they'd have to develop it under a very close eye from the FIA.

So you're saying that there is no way that Hyundai can use engines from another constructor? You'd think they would use someone else's engine as building their own would take years.

So you're saying that there is no way that Hyundai can use engines from another constructor? You'd think they would use someone else's engine as building their own would take years.
Well, they could, but it would require swallowing their pride a little. They're a manufacturer, and would no doubt want the Hyundai cars to be powered by Hyundai engines. They've been thinking about this since 2006 when the story first broke, and 2010 is their projected date of joning the grid, so it's not like they've suddenly decided overnight to line up in Melbourne next year. I suppose the alternative is that they could do a deal with one of the other teams and rebadge the engine, the way Williams ran Renault engines for a year under the name Mechachrome, but it's a question of who would be willing to do it. There's no way they could get a Toyota engine, nor could they sub-contract out to Honda. Ferrari wouldn't be too keen on the idea of having one of their engines renamed, and who knows what BMW thinks since they're the only supplier on the grid to supply one team. Mercedes are already supplying the Brawns, McLarens and Force Indias, so I can't imagine they'd be willing to supply too many teams, especially since Dave Richards' Prodrive project was looking to take Mercedes support. Renault supply themselves and Red Bull, but while the engine might be good, it's been implied that there's a question mark over their future.

Back