26 cars lined up for 2010 & bile from Bernie

• Thread starter Sureboss
  • 441 comments
Yup, exactly, its not exactly "shocking" for Cosworth to be interested or considered over other engine manufacturers/tuners.

I'm not liking the 26 car thing, it would make much more crowded fields and more accidents at the start of races like this one:

I'm not liking the 26 car thing, it would make much more crowded fields and more accidents at the start of races like this one:

Erm no. Please stop posting without thinking, if you're trying to make your post count stupidly big, don't bother, I'd rather read posts with some thought behind them.

But to counter-point this anyway - that particular incident is the reason why we start behind the safety car now, so the field is less bunched.
But that kind of incident would happen anyway regardless of the number of cars and we had more than 26 cars in years past without such problems.

Especially as only 22 cars entered that race in Spa in 1998.

Erm no. Please stop posting without thinking, if you're trying to make your post count stupidly big, don't bother, I'd rather read posts with some thought behind them.

Seconded. You don't even get anything for having 1,000 posts - all you'll have when you get there is a reputation for being a postwhore with nothing inportant to say.

I really dont even care whether i have 1000 posts or not, but you think I post sense less stuff because i'm just a dumb little kid who just wants more posts than everyone else. Besides, my user title only says that im getting to 1000 posts, not trying to get to 1000 posts, which is your mis-interpretation of it. All i said was that i don't like the idea of so many cars because it would make more accidents happen, and you all are criticizing me for posting useless things. I don't mean to be rude to you guys, but I can't just stand around letting you all think I'm a postwhore. And now, I'm going to change my title because of this to cease any further mis-interpretations of why i post at gtplanet.

It's not going to largen up the crash factor. As Roo said, in such conditions a race will now start behind a safety car. A crash can always happen, whether you have a 16 car grid, or a 26 car grid. It all depends on the track you're on, its conditions, and where in the grid the crash occurs. If Button messes up tomorrow, we still could have half of the field crash out, like at Spa in 1998. A 26 car grid would only make things more exiting, and give the current backmarkers a team to compete with.

Well, with 26 cars for 2010, there will be a whole different rivalry between Force India anf the newbies. FI would more than likely be better though. They have improved this year and they're not getting any worse.

It has been confirmed officially through speed tv by peter windsor himself in fri practice that USF1 engine supplier is cosworth and that they already bought the engine and are awaiting the new 2010 regulations. So no more speculation on whether its cosworth or not. Cant wait for 2010!

Roo
Seconded. You don't even get anything for having 1,000 posts - all you'll have when you get there is a reputation for being a postwhore with nothing inportant to say.

says the man who paid for a premium account.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has been confirmed officially through speed tv by peter windsor himself in fri practice that USF1 engine supplier is cosworth and that they already bought the engine and are awaiting the new 2010 regulations. So no more speculation on whether its cosworth or not. Cant wait for 2010!

Link?

I thought a Ferrari engine might of had a slim chance with the upcoming Fiat Group-Chrysler deal but this news doesn't surprise me.

I dont have a link, if you have tivo or dvr.. i believe its fr2 practice on speed tv... peter windsor talks about it in great detail for about 5 mins, he also talks about the shop they leased and how the team is coming along with operations. Im surprised its not on the net, I guess nobody pays attention to the US broadcasters anymore

Timo Glock's old GP2 team, iSport have cleared up rumours that they are looking to enter the sport's highest echelon. They say they won't be seriously considering it until the budget cap becomes official; whether that means an optional or mandatry budget cap is unclear, though I suspect it may be the former. There's only a handful of places available on the grid, an no guarantees that vacancies will open up in the imeediate uture if we see a grid with USGPE, Prodrive, Hyundai and Lola on it.

Well, lets summarise the possibbilites here then:

Confirmed:
USGPE

"Thinking about it":
Lola
Prodrive/Aston Martin
Hyundai
iSport

Possible engine suppliers (considering the "2 teams only rule" and engine freeze from 2006):
BMW (Can supply one more team)
Ferrari (depends on what happens to STR)
Cosworth (the "spec engine", so I assume they can supply as many people as they want)

Possible team purchases:
Scuderia Toro Rosso
BrawnGP

Not to mention that some manufacturers could easily drop out come the end of the year.

I personally think that the Lola and Prodrive entries are one and the same - it would make sense as I've said before.
All the "thinking about it" teams are dependant on the budget decision.
I hope the budget is the strict fixed one, and not the double standards one. I also hope they open up the engine freeze or at least allow more engine manufacturers to enter albeit heavily restricted.

Possible team purchases:
Scuderia Toro Rosso
BrawnGP
Two things:
1) Toro Rosso HAS to be sold for 2010. I believe it has to do with rules about team ownership as Red Bull were technically owning two teams.
2) How do you rationalise Brawn being up for sale? There's been nothing to suggest the team is already in financial trouble, and their results are not exactly going un-noticed; Ross Brawn has been talking about securing the mid-term future of the team before concentrating on the long-term survival, and it's not as if they're without sponsors: Virgin are in serious talks about becoming the team's title sponsor, and it seems they've made an offer because Branson has said someone else can come along and offer some crazy figure and they wouldn't be able to do much about it. Renault is far more likely to depart the sport at the end of 2009 than Brawn because they are struggling to get results and ING have announced they are ending their sponsorship at the end of the season. To a lesser extent, Williams may be in that boat because they're losing sponsors very quickly, but at least they have some pace. With every passing race - three wins, two podiums, two pole positons and a twenty-off point lead in the constructors championship - Brawn are looking more and more likely to stay in the sport because more and more sponosrs will become interested, and the proposed budget cap could really save them ... not that they need it right now.
Cosworth (the "spec engine", so I assume they can supply as many people as they want)
Yes, I believe they can. They could probably supply the entire grid if they convinced everyone to do it.

All the "thinking about it" teams are dependant on the budget decision.
I hope the budget is the strict fixed one, and not the double standards one. I also hope they open up the engine freeze or at least allow more engine manufacturers to enter albeit heavily restricted.
The budget cap is optional, but that doesn't mean it's a hinderance. I recall reading it that teams that agree to it will be allowed greater freedom in their aerodynamics than those who do not.

I realise Toro Rosso has to be sold....hence why I called it a potential team to buy for one of the afforementioned "possible entries"? And its to do with customer cars, they are not allowed after this year, hence why Prodrive didn't bother joining in 2008.

BrawnGP are the same really, they don't have to be sold but they need money, if one of these companies comes along and offers to buy the team outright for next year and fund it properly, I doubt Ross would stand in the way.
Already we have rumours of Virgin buying out completely. I'm not suggesting Brawn are for sale, but they are a possible team to buyout.
In other words, its not impossible for someone to buy them. I'm not talking about the team leaving, I'm talking about it essentially being rebranded which is going to happen one way or another in my opinion by next year.

As for the budget cap, the problem with the double standards one is it doesn't really make sense to me, why have one rule for some and a different rule for others? I don't see the point in letting people spend what they want, as those teams will quickly try to reduce their costs anyway - so why not just make it a blanket cap in the first place?

Already we have rumours of Virgin buying out completely. I'm not suggesting Brawn are for sale, but they are a possible team to buyout.
I'd say this article more than suggests otherwise. The rumours only really circulated pre-Melbourne before anyone really knew the terms of the deal between Brawn and Branson. Once it became apparent that they would be working together and could become Virgin-Brawn GP, the rumours of a Virgin F1 team died pretty quickly.

I still maintain it is not beyond the realms of possibility for someone to jump in and offer to buyout the team, perhaps even supply engines in the future. What happened to BAR-Honda can easily happen again except this time it probably wouldn't be such a bad switch as long as they kept Ross around.

1) Toro Rosso HAS to be sold for 2010. I believe it has to do with rules about team ownership as Red Bull were technically owning two teams.

Nope. It's just chassis-sharing, like we have now with STR/RBR and had with Aguri/Honda, that will be forbidden - and Mateschitz doesn't want the costs of two completely separate entities. At the moment, the combined RBR/STR budget was $350m in 2008 - a cost which included developing a chassis for both outfits - so per team, the $175m is quite cheap. As separate teams, however, the two will have to develop their own cars - and in order to stay competitive, who knows how much he'll have to spend? He can't clone Newey - yet..

The budget cap is optional, but that doesn't mean it's a hinderance. I recall reading it that teams that agree to it will be allowed greater freedom in their aerodynamics than those who do not.
As for the budget cap, the problem with the double standards one is it doesn't really make sense to me, why have one rule for some and a different rule for others? I don't see the point in letting people spend what they want, as those teams will quickly try to reduce their costs anyway - so why not just make it a blanket cap in the first place?

That's exactly why an optional budget-cap will spell doom for F1. It'll become a two-tier series.

As soon as you place such a system, you'll have the "aero" teams (budget-restricted but more development freedom) teams vs "money" teams (budget-unrestricted but aero-castrated). The former will be able to exploit aerodynamic devices and surfaces that the money teams won't ever have. Whenever, however, a money team catches up and refines their design to the pace of an aero teams, the aero teams will protest that their freedom isn't enough, or that the money teams aren't restricted enough, and vice-versa if an aero team gains the edge.

The very base for F1, since forever, was "One rule-set for all", excepting the engines - which are also "one rule for all" since 1989. Equivalence-formulas just don't work in F1.

USGPE is confirmed, Prodrive is definately going to be in, Hyundai and Lola are going to have to probably flip a coin or something to see who gets in for 2010. Hyundai is more likely though, since Lola still says "We're thinking about it" I doubt Lola can run the whole season without running out of money.

USGPE is confirmed, Prodrive is definately going to be in, Hyundai and Lola are going to have to probably flip a coin or something to see who gets in for 2010. Hyundai is more likely though, since Lola still says "We're thinking about it" I doubt Lola can run the whole season without running out of money.

Pardon? Prodrive had automatic entry into 2008 and turned it down...they are the most likely company to be called "unsure" about whether they are entering. I would never say Prodrive are "definite" until its 2010. Particularly because their (and most likely everyone elses) entry depends on the budget cap rules that are going to be announced soon.

So, do you have a source please?

No source, but since F1 costs are dropping in 2010, Prodrive will most likely go for it.

EDIT: Please skip the criticism, ignore it and move on if it sounds like total crap to you

EDIT: Please skip the criticism, ignore it and move on if it sounds like total crap to you

If you don't want to defend what you say, why say it? Thats the whole point of discussion and a forum is for discussion. If we all just posted random rubbish with little relation or talk about what each other has said, well, it would look like a youtube comments section. In other words, a load of twaddle.

Like I said, Prodrive are never a "definite", costs were being cut this year and they still decided against buying out Honda for 2009 as well as not entering in 2008. They are the least definite entry I can think of and seeing as you have no source I'd like to know why you think this given what I just said.

We wouldn't want people spreading false rumours would we? People could just read your post and take it as fact that Prodrive are entering. Which is hardly the case.

Bernie Eccelstone is a a**hole anyway next thing you know, he'll take F1 to North Korea, Iran, Venezuela, you know, anti-social countries.

I've found some more prospective teams, however, these ones are getting more and more out there. Still, it's fun to speculate. This article on Aston Martin's potential entry to the grid in 2010 also lists three other potential candidates, but this is the only mention I've found of them, and some of them are a little ridiculous. Firstly there is a colaboration between Dallara and ART Grand Prix, which I think would probably stand the best chance. Then there's Colin Kolles and Racing Engineering with Formtech GmbH, another GP2 team (I think). And finally, the most outside chance of all ... Nick Wirth! Some of you may know him as the man behind none other than perrenial backmarkers Simtek.

Metar
That's exactly why an optional budget-cap will spell doom for F1. It'll become a two-tier series.

As soon as you place such a system, you'll have the "aero" teams (budget-restricted but more development freedom) teams vs "money" teams (budget-unrestricted but aero-castrated). The former will be able to exploit aerodynamic devices and surfaces that the money teams won't ever have. Whenever, however, a money team catches up and refines their design to the pace of an aero teams, the aero teams will protest that their freedom isn't enough, or that the money teams aren't restricted enough, and vice-versa if an aero team gains the edge.

The very base for F1, since forever, was "One rule-set for all", excepting the engines - which are also "one rule for all" since 1989. Equivalence-formulas just don't work in F1.
I suspect the objective may be to phase in a mandatory budget cap. But firstly they need to trial it, and they need to make a compelling case for it to be compulsory.

No source, but since F1 costs are dropping in 2010, Prodrive will most likely go for it.
No, they are considering it. Stop spewing unsubstantiated opinions as facts; if you don't have a source, you don't have anything. Put a litte more thought into yours posts: there has been no official word from Prodrive on anything resembling their definite entry into the sport. For all we know, Dave Richards will decide not to press on after his inability to make the 2008 grid. If you want us to take you seriously, try and be a little bit more reasoned and intelligent. You might be twelve years old, but that doesn't mean you can't contribute. You just have to make the effort.

Please... quote your sources by at least providing a link. And don't avoid criticism... it doesn't pay. I know by experience... :scared:

Please... quote your sources by at least providing a link.
The are no sources. It's not like he's found something on the internet as is just passing it on by word-of-mouth. He's presenting his opinions as facts and putting words in Dave Richards' mouth.

Friendly word of warning: Poverty/forza 2.0 got banned for posting things without quoting a source and then, when questioned, trying to get out of it by saying "if you don't believe me then that's your problem".

If we all just posted random rubbish with little relation or talk about what each other has said, well, it would look like a youtube comments section. In other words, a load of twaddle.

Bernie Eccelstone is a a**hole anyway next thing you know, he'll take F1 to North Korea, Iran, Venezuela, you know, anti-social countries.

:banghead:

another GP2 team (I think).

I can't remember where, but I think that was iSport?

I suspect the objective may be to phase in a mandatory budget cap. But firstly they need to trial it, and they need to make a compelling case for it to be compulsory.

It went the other way around: The FIA suggested a compulsory budget-cap, but a few teams protested and wanted to keep their rights to spend as much as they want - probably Ferrari, McLaren, BMW or Toyota - over disputes as to what should and shouldn't be capped: Driver-salaries included? If not, why include staff salaries? Should engine-supplying teams get a slight boost compared to the customer-engined teams? Or should engine-manufacturers receive a separate budget, or even remain un-capped while the actual teams are capped (As in, Mercedes can spend as much as it wants, while McLaren, Brawn and FIF1 remain capped as everyone else)?

And then the dispute on the amount of money - is $30m enough (all agreed it wasn't)? Perhaps $50m? With or without salaries?

Back