26 cars lined up for 2010 & bile from Bernie

• Thread starter Sureboss
  • 441 comments
I'm glad to hear news of more teams... But what good will they be? I don't want 5 more Force Indias on the grid. Pre-qualifying should be fun, though - lets hope we get some 30 entries, and let the bottom 10 duke it out for the right to race?

Well, they could, but it would require swallowing their pride a little. They're a manufacturer, and would no doubt want the Hyundai cars to be powered by Hyundai engines. They've been thinking about this since 2006 when the story first broke, and 2010 is their projected date of joning the grid, so it's not like they've suddenly decided overnight to line up in Melbourne next year.

Regulations clearly state that only engines homologated as of December 2006 may compete at any event until 2013. That's Renault, Ferrari, Mercedes, BMW, Honda, Toyota and Cosworth - no others. It'll be a cold day in hell when the other manufacturers agree to let a new team develop a new engine. At best, they'll be able to buy them off another manufacturer with the option to rebadge it, or use Cosworth mills. Honda might sell them the actual V8s and factory, but these were already uncompetitive lumps by 2008.

Ferrari wouldn't be too keen on the idea of having one of their engines renamed

Then what exactly were Sauber's "Acer" V10 engines?

Mercedes are already supplying the Brawns, McLarens and Force Indias, so I can't imagine they'd be willing to supply too many teams, especially since Dave Richards' Prodrive project was looking to take Mercedes support.

A manufacturer is only allowed to support two teams - usually the works team and a customer. In order to supply the Brawns (or, in previous years, Ferrari the Spykers), Mercedes had to get permission from the other teams. They won't be allowed to field a fourth Merc-engined team.

Um...Sauber used "Petronas" V10 engines. "Acer" V10's were used during Prost's last season back in '01. They were both Re-Badged Year-old Ferrari units.

Whoops, my mistake. :embarrassed:

Point confirmed, then: Acers and Petronas V10s were rebadged Ferraris.

If Hyundai could get rebadged Honda engines, they wouldn't be that bad off would they? I always thought the Honda problem was horrible downforce because the designer was a moron. And if the Honda engines were so bad the FIA would surely allow them to make improvements, like Renault, wouldn't they?

If Hyundai could get rebadged Honda engines, they wouldn't be that bad off would they? I always thought the Honda problem was horrible downforce because the designer was a moron. And if the Honda engines were so bad the FIA would surely allow them to make improvements, like Renault, wouldn't they?

I think the aero was bad. I remember in 2005, Honda brought a V10 to China that put down 1000 horsepower (or so they claimed). Mind you, that was a few years ago, but their engines couldn't have been that bad.

I think it's kind of hard to assess the 2007 and 2008 Honda engines. The aero was so bad that any engine would have suffered in those chassis.

Every big international car company in F1 has done good(Toyota, Renault, Ferrari, Honda.....not as good as the others), so Hyundai should do well, and will most likely have their own engine. I'm looking forward to 2009, except the new scoring system based on most wins rather than points :(

Last edited:

Problem is, Honda doesn't make engines anymore. Brawn sources from Mercedes, so Hyundai can't use Hondas. They might be able to use Toyota engines, though.

Every big international car company in F1 has done good(Toyota, Renault, Ferrari, Honda.....not as good as the others), so Hyundai should do well, and will most likely have their own engine.
Please promise me you will never play roulette. Just because one thing has consistently happened in the past doesn't mean it will continue to happen. Look at Lamborghini, and ther failed entry to the sport as a perfect example disproving everything you just said (though you grouped Honda and Ferrari together and suggeted they both did well, so I am a little bemused ... seems to be a common theme with some of your posts).

Every big international car company in F1 has done good

Honda, who spent so many years propping up BAR with nothing to show for it?

Toyota, who have spent more money on F1 than they do developing some of their models, and who have never been more than middling midfielders, even when they were outqualifying the faster guys?

I'd say the record is 50:50... or even worse...

Please promise me you will never play roulette. Just because one thing has consistently happened in the past doesn't mean it will continue to happen. Look at Lamborghini, and ther failed entry to the sport as a perfect example disproving everything you just said (though you grouped Honda and Ferrari together and suggeted they both did well, so I am a little bemused ... seems to be a common theme with some of your posts).

Lamborghini only failed because of politics, specifically a proposed engine supply deal for Mclaren for the '94 season that never hapened (This often-Forgoten piece of history was alledgedly the reason Ayrton Senna left Mclaren for Wlliams).

A better example would be Yamaha or Porsche; Both of those companies failed to win during they're forays into F1 (And no, i'm not including the TAG-Porsches of '84-'86. Though Porsche helped build those championship-winning engines, they did't actually design them. The under-powered, over-weight V12 they built for Arrows in '88-'90 is a case-in-point. Yamaha? Don't get me started on them:ill::yuck:!).

F1 is a pretty tough nut to crack...The few manufacturers that ever achieved anything were able to sort the realities of racing in F1 from the Buisness of racing in F1. Honda? They didn't seperate anything and didn't want to face up to the realty that the internal structure of the team needed to change (Cases-in-point: Former Honda F1 CEO David Richards was fired for suggesting such a change, as Was former Technical Director Geoff Willis).
Toyota? Ditto.

Now, for Hyundai coming in as possible team? It's tough to say: They, as a company, don't have much motorsport experience...But what little they DO have doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Now, if Max & Bernie wanted to make a statement to FOTA, then the FIA would let Hyundai build it's own engine, but it's pretty doubtful. I mean, any faults in the design would be set in stone until a certain date, right? I wouldn't be surprised if they chose to run badged Cosworth engines for a few years at the least.

With all of that aside, i'm actually looking forward to see which teams get chosen for 2010!

Honda were mentioned a couple of posts back. Does anyone else find it hilarious that the season after they pull out it looks their team will challenge for the title, and could very well win it! If they'd known the quality of the car Brawn has made, would they have pulled out? I somewhat doubt so.

They would be allowed, but there's a limit to how much they can gain - especially now that development and production ceased completely while the others keep working.

I think the aero was bad. I remember in 2005, Honda brought a V10 to China that put down 1000 horsepower (or so they claimed). Mind you, that was a few years ago, but their engines couldn't have been that bad.

The Honda V10s were decent, and more than decent: Slightly unreliable, but not weak by any means. Their traditional "Suzuka Screamers" were their extra-powerful specials for the home-race, and indeed their 2005 car produced more or less 1000HP.

However, that was V10s. With the V8s, Honda had a decent package in 2006 - but lost more than others with the homologation, and, like Renault, fell off-guard while others kept updating. The result? Their 2008 engine had 740hp - while the top teams were producing 785HP and potentially more.

I think it's kind of hard to assess the 2007 and 2008 Honda engines. The aero was so bad that any engine would have suffered in those chassis.

That's why we have professional publications like Racecar Engineering.. The 2007-2008 Honda in it's entirety was crap. ;)

Every big international car company in F1 has done good(Toyota, Renault, Ferrari, Honda.....not as good as the others), so Hyundai should do well, and will most likely have their own engine. I'm looking forward to 2009, except the new scoring system based on most wins rather than points :(

First off - welcome to 2009, win-based systems are only due for next year. ;)

Second off, again: The rules clearly state that no engine other than those homologated by December 2006 may compete at a GP until at least 2013. I doubt Hyundai have been secretly hiding a 2.4l 90° V8 with F1-grade internals, that just happens to be homologated.

Problem is, Honda doesn't make engines anymore. Brawn sources from Mercedes, so Hyundai can't use Hondas. They might be able to use Toyota engines, though.

Hyundai can purchase the Honda engine-factory in Japan, or the rights to the design, or the design itself, or contract them to manufacture a V8 for them. Honda's engine-department still holds a homologated design (plus a batch of spare engines from the unexpected pullout).

But would a Honda engine have yielded the same results?

Nope. Take down two-three tenths, maybe more. The McLaren engine one of the top engines in terms of power, and one of the best in terms of cooling. 40-45HP advantage translates into at least two tenths.

That's why we have professional publications like Racecar Engineering.. The 2007-2008 Honda in it's entirety was crap. ;)
If that's a magazine, there are gaps in their coverage the size of entire continents.
Nope. Take down two-three tenths, maybe more. The McLaren engine one of the top engines in terms of power, and one of the best in terms of cooling. 40-45HP advantage translates into at least two tenths.
That was kind of my point. Honda might have been feeling really silly for backing out when the car that would have been known as the RA109 proved to be somthing else entirely, but that doesn't mean they would have done well at all.

It's funny ... if McLaren keep getting poor results and worse publicity while Brawn's form continues - provided they can get a sponsor worth their salt - maybe we'll see Brawn become the Mercedes 'A' team ...

Mercedes will be so disappointed with you!

If Hyundai did use a badged Honda engine they would be allowed to update it to match current power outputs, but would Honda want to provide the engine in the first place?

Not only is the Wins Determine The Champion rule still on the books for next year but there is also an intention to ban fuel stops in the race. That will be at least 150 KG of fuel at the start of the race. I wonder if they'll make the teams qualify with race fuel.

Through the power of the internet I bring you this

aston_f1_v2.jpg

This is how a gufl sponsored aston martin f1 would look. I like it.

To continue the "which engine would Hyundai use?" debate - erm, why not Cosworth? Seeing as its the official "cheap" engine alternative next year. Its not Japanese either ;)

Hyundai saw how good Honda did from switching to a McLaren engine, so maybe a McLaren.

Hyundia would be better off buying Torro Rosso and developing it with a Ferrari engine, until they develop a chassis and engine, through learning what Red Bull and Ferrari have done.

Hyundai saw how good Honda did from switching to a McLaren engine, so maybe a McLaren.
Not going to happen for two reasons: firstly, you don't just stick a new engine in and suddenly get results. Look at Force India, who switched from Ferrari to Mercedes. Last year they were at the back of the grid, and this year they're still at the back of the grid. The car the engine is in also counts; you couldn't switch a Mercedes engine into last year's RA108 and suddenly shoot to the top of the timing sheets.

Secondly, I believe there's a limit as to the number of teams an engine supplier can provide for. I think Metar said that it's two teams, and that as Mercedes were already supplying McLaren and Force India, they had to get some sort of special provisions to be able to supply Brawn.

Secondly, I believe there's a limit as to the number of teams an engine supplier can provide for. I think Metar said that it's two teams, and that as Mercedes were already supplying McLaren and Force India, they had to get some sort of special provisions to be able to supply Brawn.

Tree'd... Yeah... and I just realized that Toyota were supplying williams. Come to think of it... hyundai would have to find their own engine. Ferrari is supplying themselves and STR, Mercedes is supplying McLaren, FI and brawn, Renault is supplying themselves and RBR, and Toyota is supplying themselves and williams. Only BMW is not supplying anyone, and i doubt hyundai would work with them...

Tree'd... Yeah... and I just realized that Toyota were supplying williams. Come to think of it... hyundai would have to find their own engine. Ferrari is supplying themselves and STR, Mercedes is supplying McLaren, FI and brawn, Renault is supplying themselves and RBR, and Toyota is supplying themselves and williams. Only BMW is not supplying anyone, and i doubt hyundai would work with them...

All in all, the engine freeze is stupid. It would also be in the interest of USGPE to use an American built engine as well.

Erm, hello? They can use Cosworth!
Are my posts invisible now?

But anyway - which American engine would you suggest, hmm? Would Ford even be willing to sink the money? They are the only American engine company to have any kind of experience in it.

Also - because Cosworth is the spec engine, there isn't a limit to who they can supply. They can supply all 3/4 teams if need be! Also, eventually the engine freeze will be taken off, its only around while they decide where to go next with engine rules. (and also as a cost-saving measure of sorts).

Yeah, they could use Cosworth, and that would be great. But when did cosworth express interest in building F1 engines?

Not to mention supplying F1 for 43 years, from 1963?

I know not everyone's an F1 expert, but even so.

:yuck:

I've always maintained Gulf colours only work on some cars. It might look better in real life, if it gets that far, but a 2010 F1 car is not one of those some.

Back