26 cars lined up for 2010 & bile from Bernie

• Thread starter Sureboss
  • 441 comments
Alonso said that if the big teams leave F1 he will leave also.

Indeed, and he mentioned Le Mans as being a possible alternative.
If he won Le Mans, he would only need to win the Indy 500 to claim the triple crown of motorsport.
But thats obviously not easy, with only Jacques Villenueve coming close recently (and his wouldn't have had been the "proper definition")

He came 2nd in Le Mans last year, but if he won he wouldn't have the "proper" triple crown as that requires you have won:
Indy, Monaco, Le Mans. Whereas the alternative definition includes the WDC.

Jacques never won Monaco.

Only Graham Hill has managed either version.

Exactly. Btw, the only active driver that has the "proper" triple crown within reach is Juan Pablo Montoya

2000 - Indianapolis winner
2003 - Monaco GP winner.

Supposedly, he has already the two most difficult of the three wins needed.

Although ... with his temper ... I'm not sure he'll be ever able to win at Le Mans ;)

He came 2nd in Le Mans last year, but if he won he wouldn't have the "proper" triple crown as that requires you have won:
Indy, Monaco, Le Mans. Whereas the alternative definition includes the WDC.

Jacques never won Monaco.

Only Graham Hill has managed either version.

Ah, I wasn't sure if he had won at Monaco. As for JPM, he does have experience at the Daytona 24H, so you never know. ;)

Considering this:

... a letter signed by every Team Principal was making its way to the 69-year-old Briton, and its command was clear: tear up the proposed 2010 rules or no FOTA member will meet Friday's deadline for team entries.

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090525091654.shtml

... and this:

Williams on Monday lodged paperwork with F1's governing body to officially enter the 2010 world championship.

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090525123816.shtml

I don't understand Williams. If Frank Williams signed a letter sunday saying that they wouldn't submit their entry unless the current 2010 rules are scrapped, how can his team do the exact opoosite one day after?

"Having said that, Williams has -- and has always maintained -- that we have a binding contract with both FOM (Ecclestone's Formula One Management) and the FIA to participate in the world championship from 2008 to 2010.

"We have been paid in full for our participation and we feel both morally and legally obliged to make it clear that we will participate in Formula One in the future as we have in the past 30 years.

"We owe this to our employees, our sponsors and the fans, all of whom are affected by statements that the teams may not enter next year's championship."

source

With Williams main sponsor in mind, securing near future by running under sensible expenses makes sense to me.

I don't understand Williams. If Frank Williams signed a letter sunday saying that they wouldn't submit their entry unless the current 2010 rules are scrapped, how can his team do the exact opoosite one day after?
Williams - like Brawn and Force India - are unique in Formula One. Unlike the other teams, they exist for one purpose and one purpose only: racing. If Ferrari, Renault, BMW et al withdraw, they have their automotive operations to fall back on. Williams do not, and if they do not make the May 29th deadline and submit a late entry, there is a very real possibility that their current position on the grid will be forwarded to another team.

Given that Dave Richards' Prodrive outfit backed out in 2007 after receiving the sole entry avalable at the time, it could well be that Williams will be awarded a position on the grid, but elect not to use it if the FIA-FOTA war fails to come to a ceasefire agreement. It's true that Richards had no option but to withdraw owing to the customer chassis row and that Williams will likely incur a penalty if they back out, but Sir Frank - like Ross Brawn and Vijay Mallya - needs to secure his team's future in the event that a resolution is worked out in time simply because Williams exists only for racing. Either that, or he knows something we don't; given that what goes on in FOTA is pretty much Secret Teams' Business until after the fact, it wouldn't surprise me if he does. It could well be that we wake up tomorrow with headlines blaring that the dispute over the 2010 regulations has been worked out.

All the teams want is a little bit of continuity between this season and the next; they want the 2009 regulations, but they don't want to compomise new entries. I don't think they're opposed to the idea of a budget cap, but that they're opposed to having a budget cap right now. This year has seen the most dramatic overhaul of the sport's regulations in its sixty-year history, and they evidently feel that going through another dramatic change is too much to ask right now. There's the suggestion that the budget cap could be delayed until 2012 and some kind of compromise worked out so that new teams can join up but aren't going to suffer for it. People on both sides of the fence - including Mosely, Ecclestone, Domenicalli and Fry - are pretty confident that a resolution can be worked out in time, and even if it comes at the eleventh hour, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that every single team on the grid has completed an entry and all that remains is to submit it. It's exactly how I'd do it: avoid the risk of losing your spot on the 2010 grid owing to a late entry, but still being able to keep up your end of the arrangement with the other teams. Ferrari might be leading this little circus, and they might have threatened to withdraw over it, but that doesn't mean the others are going to be willing to take a bullet simply to satisfy Ferrari's desires. They'll have their entries prepared.

There's only one question that remains from Williams submitting its entry ahead of time: what does Sir Frank know that we don't?

Yes, and he put it quite bluntly: Williams, like Ferrari, are in F1 under special conditions. Williams' is that they were paid the 2010 FOM money in advance - and are so obliged to run for the FOM's championship in 2010. Still doesn't make it any better - it breaks the FOTA unity.

Still doesn't make it any better - it breaks the FOTA unity.
Yes, and Max Mosely is going to be all over this like stink on cheese, use it to discredit FOTA entirely and force through his proposed changes for 2010.

[/sarcasm]

Even if Williams have crossed the floor and the proposals are no closer to resolution than they were at the start of this mess, FOTA still have nine names together and thus have some power. This isn't going to be a silver bullet, and those at the FIA will know that. Yes, it breaks the unity ... but not so much that everything is going to fall apart. And there's still that possibility that the main issues have been resolved and all that remains is to iron out a crease or two before announcing it to the world. After all, in terms of the food chain, we're at the bottom when it comes to disseminating information simply because the FIA and FOTA know it first, they release statements to the media who report it to us.

Anyone looking for a job in F1? How about travelling to Norfolk....

http://www.autosport.com/directory/appointments.html

Litespeed
VARIOUS VACANCIES
Litespeed GP
Position Title: Various Vacancies
As a new and vibrant team entering into F1 we require talented engineers to join our exciting new programme.

We are looking for experienced applicants for the following positions:-

Chief Designer – Candidates must be able to demonstrate experience at a chief designer or head of design group level
Drawing Office Manager – Candidates must be able to demonstrate experience as head of design or DO manager level
PA to the Technical Director – Candidates must have PA experience at a senior executive level and experience of motorsport would be preferable
Drawing Office Secretary – Candidates must have previous experience at a similar level in F1
Head of Mechanical Design – Candidates must be able to demonstrate experience at senior mechanical designer level in F1
Senior Mechanical Designers – Candidates must be able to demonstrate experience in F1 at a senior designer level
Head of Gearbox Design – Candidates must be able to demonstrate previous experience as head of gearbox design or as senior gearbox designer
Senior Gearbox Designer – Candidates must be able to demonstrate previous experience of working at a senior level in F1 gearbox design
Head of Stress Analysis – Candidates must be able to demonstrate experience at a senior level in FEA in F1
Head of Aerodynamics – Candidates must be able to demonstrate previous experience at managing and running a top level F1 standards aerodynamics facility
Aerodynamics Projects leaders – Candidates must be able to demonstrate experience in F1 and be able to manage a project group at this level
Production Manager – Candidates must possess previous experience at managing an F1 production department
Team Manager – candidates must be able to demonstrate experience at the top end of a F1 race team environment
Race Team Chief Mechanic – Candidates must be able to demonstrate the ability to manage a group of mechanics in a F1 environment
Race Team Chief Truckie – Candidates must have worked previously at the same level in F1
Race Team Coordinator – Candidates must be able to demonstrate experience of booking flights and hotels for a race team in F1
IT Manager – Candidates must have previous experience at managing an IT department in a similar competitive environment
HR Manager – Candidates must be able to demonstrate experience at managing a HR department in a pressurised environment
Procurement Manager – Candidates must have CIPS qualification and have extensive procurement experience within a F1 environment

Hmmm, well poor job security but you do get to be in F1 ;)

While would one day love to work for an F1 team, I a) have no experience and b) none of the jobs offered are the kind I'd be interested in.

Who doesn't?

But in all seriousness, I wasn't thinking of the drivers when I posted that. I was actually more in line with something on the media side, like a PR representative or a manager, the kind of guy who knows everyone on the grid. Maybe even take it to the point where I could be one of the higher-ups in a team, though I think a lot of them have experience with vehicular dynamics. Then again, Ross Brawn started out as a milling machine operator, and Christian Horner admitted he has no knowledge of te finer points of aerodynamics during the debate over diffusers, so you never know ...

Exactly. Btw, the only active driver that has the "proper" triple crown within reach is Juan Pablo Montoya

2000 - Indianapolis winner
2003 - Monaco GP winner.

Supposedly, he has already the two most difficult of the three wins needed.

I don't think 24 hours of Le Mans would be any easier than either of the others.

Yes, and he put it quite bluntly: Williams, like Ferrari, are in F1 under special conditions. Williams' is that they were paid the 2010 FOM money in advance - and are so obliged to run for the FOM's championship in 2010. Still doesn't make it any better - it breaks the FOTA unity.
Well, Williams have paid the penalty for breaking ranks:

FOTA suspends Williams

27 May 2009

The Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) has temporarily suspended the Williams team from its organisation after the English outfit became the first of the current constructors to submit its entry to the 2010 World Championship.

With more meetings taking place in London on Wednesday between FOTA and F1 governing body the FIA, Williams - by putting its entry forward - has already gone against the view of the association in that regulations should be modified to remove the £40m budget cap from next season onwards.

"FOTA's decision, although regrettable, is understandable," stated acceptant team owner Sir Frank Williams. "However, as a racing team and a company whose only business is Formula One, with obligations to our partners and our employees, submitting our entry to next year's championship was unquestionable.

"In addition, we are legally obliged under our contract with FOM (Bernie Ecclestone's Formula One Management, commercial rights holder to F1) and the FIA to participate in the World Championship until the end of 2012."
Linky.

So, as suspected, Williams fielded their entry because they exist for the purposes of racing and only racing.

FOTA have submitted conditional entries, holy crap this could be a big grid!

Ferrari
Mclaren
BMW
Red Bull
Brawn
Toyota
Williams
Force India
Toro Rosso
Renault
USGPE
Aston Martin
Campos
+ possible others

:scared:

Ferrari
Mclaren
BMW
Red Bull
Brawn
Toyota
Williams
Force India
Toro Rosso
Renault
USGPE
Aston Martin
Campos
+ possible others

:scared:

Lola and Litespeed lodged an F1 entry as well.

Glad to see the potential disaster has been averted, at least for now. I think FOTA's demands - for want of a better word - are actually pretty reasonable.
There's only three extra places that we know of for certain that are available. It's likely to go up to four as Toro Rosso is supposed to be for sale; they and Red Bull get around the customer chassis rules by having the car developed by a serparate entity, but I believe that loophole is likely to be closed for 2010. It could even go up to five if one of the manufacturers - the names Toyota, Renault and BMW are being touted as the most likely suspects - withdraws at the end of the season, as many people suspect is the case.

So if there are more than thirteen entries, what will happen? Would the "weakest" entries be denied, or would we have pre-qualifying again?

So if there are more than thirteen entries, what will happen? Would the "weakest" entries be denied, or would we have pre-qualifying again?

There is only 13 grid spots, they won't allow more in I don't think, and not all those entries will be viable in the FIA's eyes, Litespeed are definitely the first team I would expect not to make it though I dearly hope they do because they will be even smaller and probably slower than Force India, giving us all a new backender "try hard" team. Give someone for Force India to beat too.

I certainly hope we'll see qualifying turn from the spectacle of "fighting for the same number of grid positions as cars" into actual qualifying again.

Imagine if Ferrari made the same kind of mistakes they did early season, or Hamilton repeats his Monaco Q1 effort and actually fails to start the race as a result. We might well have a new golden era of F1 - not to mention with four different world champions in the pitlane again (come on, Jens :D)...

It will be interesting to also note that if Jenson wins, the BBC have had back-to-back British World Champions :D
Yes, we certainly seem to be returning the retro days of F1, bring it on! Privateer teams at the top, lots of teams, BBC coverage, crazy rule changes, its all coming back!

It will be interesting to also note that if Jenson wins, the BBC have had back-to-back British World Champions :D
Yes, we certainly seem to be returning the retro days of F1, bring it on! Privateer teams at the top, lots of teams, BBC coverage, crazy rule changes, its all coming back!

One or two fatalities and teams with non-symmetrical cars and it'll have come back in style!

Latest Posts

Back