2nd GTPlanet Formula 1 World Championship (Finished - Season Over!)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ardius
  • 2,414 comments
  • 145,638 views
Well to recap my race,I was surprised to qualify 2nd. At start seemed polesitter Lofasz slowed a touch and I passed him only to remember the rule no overtaking till after T2,so I backed way off & an old friend smashed me from behind:) after respawn was alone on track till first pit running 4th,ran second stint in 3rd with my team mate Lennon in 4th till all of a sudden I see Lennon on track in front of me?? I tapped him and spun him SORRY I dont understand at all what happened there. Next pit come out 2nd at T1 I see Lofasz coming out of pit lane so I go careful as not to hit him & my OLD FRIEND got me again respawned back into 4th place till someone else knocked me off and I finished 5th. Hope every one enjoied it we will all get better if we all can remember in this game close racing online is impossible,just back off and be patient.:)
 
Sumpington - screen name so we can re-edit thank you
 
All I can say is: it's a good thing we don't have to compete with PAL, I think we'd get our butts kicked!


They are fast, but not Holl01 fast(and damn, he'd probably spank everyone here:nervous:). Fastest time looks like its only a second faster for PAL then for NTSC so you guys aren't that far behind. If the time were five seconds faster, then I'd agree(thankfully they aren't). I'll bet when we go to Monza(I'll have my PS3 way before then), we will be very close with me leading everyone else:sly:
 
. . . Next pit come out 2nd at T1 I see Lofasz coming out of pit lane so I go careful as not to hit him & my OLD FRIEND got me again respawned back into 4th place till someone else knocked me off and I finished 5th. Hope every one enjoied it we will all get better if we all can remember in this game close racing online is impossible,just back off and be patient.:)

Yeah, that was an intense moment there, when I was exiting the pits. I knew I had a fast pit stop (7.3), and I knew you had just pitted before me. I knew it, because I was catching up to you, right before you entered the pits. I was looking at the map, while I was exiting the pits, and saw your red dot, blazing down the main stright, getting close to passing me. I was running it through all the gears, all up to about 18,500 RPM, and got it most of the way through 6th, before I started braking for turn one. I could see you in my left mirror, as I entered the turn. Then as I was making the turn, in 1st gear, I hear the crashing sound, and saw your car sitting still, still at turn 1. I thought for sure you were gonna beat me through turn 1. I was on the inside, but made sure to stop in time, so as not to cut you off, if your were right on my outside. Great racing action.

And remember, I had 1 more pit than all of you, and still came in 2nd. :pHehe.:sly:
 
Can we change our team name to "Team Lofus"? No typo. That's what the vanity plate says on my Lotus Elise (LOFUS). I'll upload a picture tonite, into one of my albums. Lofus is a cross between Lotus and Lofasz. Its a nickname between family and friends.

Nice first race for us Biggles. I lost my front wing on turn one, when somebody dove right in front of me, not sure who it was. Perhaps we might consider turning collsions off? Just a thought. Now I know how Hamilton felt, at Bahrain this past year. I'm not sore though. I know accidents happen in racing, so its not something to get all nuts about. I think our team is looking good this season!:sly:👍

DaddyVDUB & Lennon better watch out!;)

Yeah I sent a PM to Ardius to change your team name, And yeah we'll watch out. LOL :)

Also I want to setup a practice Tues night say 9pm Eastern US everyone post if there is a problem with Tues .
 
Last edited:
Yeah I sent a PM to Ardius to change your team name, And yeah we'll watch out. LOL :)

Also I want to setup a practice Tues night say 9pm Eastern US everyone post if there is a problem with Tues .


Need to run some laps at Magny-Cours for my Wednesday league , can we run this as a practice run guys , thanks
 
Need to run some laps at Magny-Cours for my Wednesday league , can we run this as a practice run guys , thanks

Sure well have a 20 lap race at Magny-Cours Tues at 9pm eastern US same channel same password. I will setup race room.
 
Sure well have a 20 lap race at Magny-Cours Tues at 9pm eastern US same channel same password. I will setup race room.
\

Thank Dubbs see ya all there g'nite all
 
Need to run some laps at Magny-Cours for my Wednesday league , can we run this as a practice run guys , thanks


I'm down for some more "exhibition" racing. Any night, beginning wednesday (first day after I'm all done with my finals - i'm taking evening classes part time). I'm pretty fast at the French GP. That first 6th gear chicane is the trickiest part to hit consistently, IMO. Kinda flat, but a fun track for me. PM me in here, or on PSN, or both, and we can set something up. Hopefully DaddyVDUB, Biggles, FastDuck, CAMikaze, or others can also play. Practice makes perfect guys! This online racing is pretty intense. That first race was a bit of a workout for me. I got pretty sweaty, and my heart rate was definately faster. I was breathing kinda heavy too, holding my breath through certain sections of the track. Very cool.

One request though, could we please turn off collisions, at least for any further practice races? Perhaps even for the official races in the near future? No biggie, I won't complain about racing with full collision & damage. I just think that Online play, with its slight lag issues, isn't best suited to full damage collisions. What do you guys think?
 
Sure well have a 20 lap race at Magny-Cours Tues at 9pm eastern US same channel same password. I will setup race room.

Actually, Tuesday night will work well for me too. I might be a little tired though. I'll make sure to pick up an extra redbull for the race. Count me in.
 
We can take a vote on it Collisions on or off

I'll start it off I vote for collisions ON
 
I vote - Collisions OFF.

Thanks for starting the vote. May the best setting win!
 
I haven't been online much with F1CE & this is the first "serious" online race I've been involved in (ie. 20 laps & somewhat "organized").

I like the idea of collisions being active - it makes the racing more "real", but, in practice, judging by that race, collisions play too big a part in deciding the outcome. If I hit you in that race, VDUB, when on my screen it looked like I wasn't close at all, it's clear that the only place you can safely pass is on a straight. As it seems like there is no possibility of tight racing anyway, that is to say maneuvering past on the corners, maybe it makes more sense to have collisions OFF, so that you can at least push hard through the corners, rather than holding back for fear of shunting the other driver.

I would vote for at least one trial race with collisions OFF & then make a final decision.

On the question of race times, I have to say it will be very "awkward", at best, for me to participate at 9.00 pm EST. That is precisely when my kids go to bed. Having it at 10.00 pm would allow me to participate in the races without coming across as a selfish jerk at home. :indiff: Would that work for everyone else?
 
Moving the time to 10:00 PM wouldn't be a problem for me. I a bit of a night owl anyway. Although I need to get up by 6:30 weekday mornings, in order to get to work on time. I think the 20 laps lasted about the right time, for an online race.

I think damage is something that should definately be turned on, but only if you mess up and hit the wall. Then you would still have a reset available, or if you're unlucky(;)), need to pit and get repaired. I agree that collisions make tight passing through corners just about impossible, without somebody getting spun out, or some sort of contact. It would be nice if we could have a trial race, with it turned off. I don't think it would take away from the realism of the racing. You can still avoid the "bot" cars, even if they're "ghosting". I would imaging this would be especially significant for tracks like Monaco, Melborne, and Suzuka.
 
As far as race times go we can either make it 8pm or something else dont want to get too late as some have to work early, if we could get input from more drivers would be good. As far as damage goes I could live without the needless crashes but dont want to have races where you can just run through other players,again more input would be nice.:)

Team Standings (Practice Race)

Team Lofus - 14
Team Shaguar-11
Team Mopar- 9
Team Aguri -2
Team Williams -0
 
Last edited:
8.00 pm wouldn't be any better for me. Really, I'm trying to get my family obligations out of the way before I settle into some serious racing - I can do without the added stress of...

guilt! :guilty:

However, I completely understand if that does not work for other people. Perhaps, as you say VDUB, others can state their preference on this point.

Is there an option to have damage on, but collisions off? The more I think about it, the less sense it makes to have collisions on: if you can't race tight because of the "lag bubble", what function does collisions actually serve? You have to give the other cars so much space in the corners that it winds up making the racing less realistic rather than more. Anyway, I think we should try the next race without collisions & then see how everyone feels.
 
Guys, my two cents:
As Biggles, this is my first "organized" online race that I've ever participated in, in fact, my first online race ever; therefore my comments might not be 100% accurate. Anyway, I like collision On. There will always be crashes in racing, it is up to us to be conscious and learn the limitations offered by the game and race around them. I had a great time during the practice yesterday, I made passes everywhere on the track without incidents (as far as I know), I even ran a few laps really close behind GTP_Lofasz until he spun on corner 1 (I had nothing to do with that incident). I didn’t experience any problems. I’m not saying that this game is flaws free, but so far, no problems. With collision off, F1 CE is just an arcade game; the race will become a collision derby.

I would keep collision ON, but I would turn Penalties OFF. Penalties On makes no sense.

That sounds good: Damage on (e.g., if you hit a wall), collisions off (if you get hit by another driver). I have been in races where you can drive through other drivers without making contact (as if they were AI drivers). Again, I have not much experience racing online, much less, hosting a race or dealing with settings.

In regards to the time, 10:00 pm is fine with me.
 
Last edited:
I would keep collision ON, but I would turn Penalties OFF. Penalties On makes no sense.

That sounds good: Damage on (e.g., if you hit a wall), collisions off (if you get hit by another driver). I have been in races where you can drive through other drivers without making contact (as if they were AI drivers). Again, I have not much experience racing online, much less, hosting a race or dealing with settings.

I agree with this. I was involved in 2 incidents that would have never happened if it wasn't online. I think we can do no collisions with damage on, but in the spirit of the game try to avoid the other cars. If you see yourself knifing right through another real player, treat it like if a Chicane is cut in real F1. Give the position back, and you can't pass until the next corner (Unless you're Lewis Hamilton, then you aren't allowed to pass again. :sly:)

Also as I mentioned earlier about the penalty, the lag or something was causing me to float thru turn 6 and I already was losing time by missing the corner, but then the 8 second penalty was brutal.

So is there a way to do damage on but collisions off?

Also I cannot make Tuesday. My Fiance has a law final and I have to be a fake Juror that night. :)
 
Good to get some feedback from you guys. After we here from some more of the racers we'll see what we need to do.:)
 
Good to get some feedback from you guys. After we here from some more of the racers we'll see what we need to do.:)

I don't think I am allowed to PM yet, but anyway, are you on VWVortex?
 
I'm not really participating but I'd keep damage and collisions on without the rules regarding collisions and count on most racers being fair. With one exception, that worked fine last time. Accidents do happen though, it's part of it all.
 
As far as damage goes I prefer it on , but I will remain open on this. This has good and bad points involved.

A) With it on,you are forced to become a better driver,knowing of all the track situations that possibly lie ahead,you should be prepared to take appropriate actions at all times. I now this just sometimes plain old sucks, example : ( last night T-1,there was a major melee, I was filtering through it ok , and then BOOM , I got rammed into the wall , took the dreaded re-spawn thing ,then off I go),yes,you lose lose valuable time and position,but we are racing 20 laps , there is time to catch up and get back into the points chase.

B) with it off,it takes the driving factor out of it , just gas and go , IMO ,no fun.

As far as penalties go,they should remain on. it makes you a better driver by knowing the track layout and it's various degrees of turning,and to do away with the shortcut factor. Especially if we take off the damage factor off,This is what will happen if both are taken off :

corner shaving (shortcutting) , blowing through chicanes , driving through grass/sand/gravel it just makes you less of a driver.I do realize (boy do I realize !!!!) that lag is an issue sometimes,it is unfortunate that this happens,but being part of an on-line racing community,this is to be expected.

Damage and collisions go hand in hand , you can't have one without the other.it's just the game,the way it's set up. What can I say ?

I noticed last night as well that there were some who were struggling a bit. Be it nerves ,bad night , not knowing track , just trying to hard to get the car toward the front,whatever the issue,don't know.Now here is where a factor comes in. If you are struggling (said this last night in a post),and this includes myself , please have the common courtesy to pull aside or just slow down at the first possible "safe haven" as to let the faster cars get through. THANK YOU.
The other issue for a struggling driver is going to be driving in the "wet".I do fully realize that this is a very tough factor to throw in the mix,sometimes it is just hard enough to drive on "dry" and make out what is happening,now you throw in a rain filled windshield,misty tails from cars in front of you ,it is tough , but it is do-able.I say we try a "wet" race and look at the outcome,and get some feedback on this as well,remember,there are some who are new at this game,and we do not want to make their on-line racing event miserable. Thoughts on this

10:00 is fine btw
 
Last edited:
Guys, my two cents:
As Biggles, this is my first "organized" online race that I've ever participated in, in fact, my first online race ever; therefore my comments might not be 100% accurate. Anyway, I like collision On. There will always be crashes in racing, it is up to us to be conscious and learn the limitations offered by the game and race around them. I had a great time during the practice yesterday, I made passes everywhere on the track without incidents (as far as I know), I even ran a few laps really close behind GTP_Lofasz until he spun on corner 1 (I had nothing to do with that incident). I didnÂ’t experience any problems. IÂ’m not saying that this game is flaws free, but so far, no problems. With collision off, F1 CE is just an arcade game; the race will become a collision derby.

I would keep collision ON, but I would turn Penalties OFF. Penalties On makes no sense.

That sounds good: Damage on (e.g., if you hit a wall), collisions off (if you get hit by another driver). I have been in races where you can drive through other drivers without making contact (as if they were AI drivers). Again, I have not much experience racing online, much less, hosting a race or dealing with settings.

Totally confused by this. Are you for or against collisions being on?

In principle, I would definitely be for collisions: offline I always race with collisions on, & timing your passing maneuvers is one of the most fun parts of the racing. However, with the online "lag bubble" how can you ever race close without worrying about knocking off your opponent? If that means you can only pass on straight-aways, what's the point?
 
Last night, I was only involved in 2 "close-racing" situations. (other than the melee at T1!). The first was when I chased down VDUB, saw him go wide on a corner & cut inside him. If, as VDUB says, I "bubbled" him, that ruined that moment, for him obviously, & for me :indiff: The other situation, was when I was chasing down JW on the last couple of laps & JW got creamed by a lapped driver. :ouch: Again that ruined the racing both for him and for me.

Anyway, my vote is to give no collisions a try & see how we all feel after that...
 
got creamed by a lapped driver.


Thats why I say , if you are slow or struggling , please slow down or pull aside at the 1st given "SAFE HAVEN" as to let the faster ones through.This scenario happened to me on the final lap as you stated, went from P3 to P4. In fact , it may have been you Biggles that got around me during this little skirmish , was it ? it was , sorry misread your post.

It may have been the "bubble effect" that got me,on my screen I was perfectly clear to pass , on his screen it may have appeared that I was to close to pass,hence our collision.In no such manner will I condemn a driver for this type of action,unless it is really something stupid and obvious,( Craig, "mybrindle" , If your reading this I did this to you and it was a heat of the moment thing, sorry for that),sometimes it's just part of racing,frustrations do set in and we all get excited about things.



Lets get some feedback from the PAL group and see what their issues , comments , will be as well. I think we want to keep this on a level playing field for both groups.
 
Last edited:
Last night, I was only involved in 2 "close-racing" situations. (other than the melee at T1!). The first was when I chased down VDUB, saw him go wide on a corner & cut inside him. If, as VDUB says, I "bubbled" him, that ruined that moment, for him obviously, & for me :indiff: The other situation, was when I was chasing down JW on the last couple of laps & JW got creamed by a lapped driver. :ouch: Again that ruined the racing both for him and for me.

Anyway, my vote is to give no collisions a try & see how we all feel after that...

Dont want to make anything of this , But what do you mean by " if " .:)

Just a Friendly question.

And as far as the damage,collisions thing I am for damage & collisions being on,IMO Penalties on is a must,too many tracks where cutting would be a huge advantage.Weather I think we should run all in dry conditions. We all just need to commit to trying to avoid contact passing should not take place in most of these turns anyway. Just be patient, be courteous, be smart.I really am afraid it would not be any fun to run with NO RISK just be a 20 lap TT.
 
Last edited:
Dont want to make anything of this , But what do you mean by " if " .

Because the way it looked on my screen: you went wide & spun off the track on the curb. I had no sense of contact with your car at all - I wasn't even all that close to you. But I'm not questioning your version of what happened at all - & I have hardly any experience of F1CE online to go by & I don't think any of the races I have been in had collisions on - I'm just saying that if this is what typically happens, there's no safe way to pass on corners at all, because you would have to give the other driver so much space that passing on a corner, on the way in or on the way out, is out of the question.
 
I agree that lag/ and other circumstances are part of online racing, but this game isn't exactly a bright spot in that aspect. I, for one, came from playing Forza 2 all the time. That game hardly lagged and there was no bubble effect. I think we just need to run some more practices.

I haven't played online much in F1:CE so I can take all the practice time we can get. I also agree on the no passing until T2. But or example last night, I did just a std. start and was up 2 grid spots well before the beginning of the braking zone. So what do I do in that context?
 
Back