2016 Volvo S90 & V90: Previewed through... a scale model?

United States
Fort Worth
That_sneaky_azN
That's interesting.

Volvo-S90-Scale-Model-32.jpg

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/08/new-2016-volvo-s90-sedan-previewed-by.html

This is happening a lot now. It happened last month with the Bentley SUV. Toy and model makers often get the final car designs for the public see them and it's pretty easy for someone to leak a photo.

It's not as cool looking as the rest of the range but I guess it has to be more reserved for it's target demographic.

volvo-s90-2016-black-rear-scale-model-700x393.jpg

Both are nice enough - the wagon more so - but they still beg the question: is anybody actually going to buy a large Volvo? Going on the evidence of the S80, the answer is "a few people".

The sedan should prove an amazing second-hand buy in 2020, though.

The taillights are better than in the S90, but still not great. I'm not so sure, they're after the A8 and the such with it, anymore though.
The sedan should prove an amazing second-hand buy in 2020, though.
The estate should be a good one too, if you manage to find even one, as that'll be quite difficult due to the XC90 taking all the sales.

I wonder how the rear would look if they relocated the license plate area over to where the trunk is, below the VOLVO?

It's a welcome change from the raft of uniform saloon rear ends we're seeing lately. Plus it doesn't look like the sort of design afterthought you get with the current XJ or Skoda Superb. A little bare dead centre perhaps, but the clean styling does a great job of complimenting the rest of the car which is a welcome step up.

I wonder how the rear would look if they relocated the license plate area over to where the trunk is, below the VOLVO?

rear-volvo-s90-mussel-blue-12.jpg

rear-volvo-s90-mussel-blue-11.jpg

I think it lacks a certain boldness having it above the boot sill. Although the tail-lights would continue to set it apart from any other executive car.

The rear end is a disaster, but everything else (especially the interior) exudes a level of handsomeness that I don't think any luxury manufacturer has bothered with in a decade or more.

This looks like a downright proper luxury car, somewhere Volvo hasn't been for quite some time. If the interior is on-par with the XC90, as this one makes it look, I think it stands to be a great success in the segment - particularly when it'll probably be a good value compared to the 5er and E-class. I'd be a bit worried if I were Cadillac or Lexus, this one might force its way into the main group of competitors pretty easily.

I don't know, a Lincoln badge wouldn't look out of place on it. It's... bland.

BMW called the X6 a coupe. They just like using the word.

Audi do as well with the A7. Mercedes with the CLS.

Anyway, that station wagon ain't half bad. Unless they'll call it a shootingbrick.

I'm diggin' it, would prefer it over any Benz or Audi. The station wagon should be glorious.
I have a soft spot for Volvo, except their SUVs, because they're SUVs..

Back