Pikes Peak Hill Climb May be Exclusively Licensed to the Gran Turismo Series

Exclusivity is never good for the consumer. It wasn't good when Porsche was locked down, it won't be good if PP is locked down. It's only good for the companies involved, consumers suffer in the long run.

@Brend you should probably clarify that it wasn't the full track in GT2, just a part of it.

The 12 mile hill climb made it’s first (and only) appearance in Gran Turismo 2

Exclusivity is never good for the consumer. It wasn't good when Porsche was locked down, it won't be good if PP is locked down. It's only good for the companies involved, consumers suffer in the long run.

@Brend you should probably clarify that it wasn't the full track in GT2, just a part of it.
Nice catch. 👍

Exclusivity is never good for the consumer.

This, so much. It'd also be quite a waste in a game that not only doesn't have a whole lot of cars suited to the track... but is an online racing–focused title. You can't exactly have a grid of cars running the mountain.

It'd almost be a Goodwood situation all over again. Given its Pikes Peak, that'd be a massive, massive shame.

Fixed. 👍

Congratulations to PD and GT fans if this rumour proves true. It's an odd choice though, considering the eSports nature of the game. Online, real time TT's and competitions would be a great addition to the franchise though, something I thought might happen with Goodwood. If it can't be incorporated into the online lobby system, it's quite a waste of resources IMO, much the same as IOM.

This, so much. It'd also be quite a waste in a game that not only doesn't have a whole lot of cars suited to the track... but is an online racing–focused title. You can't exactly have a grid of cars running the mountain.

It'd almost be a Goodwood situation all over again. Given its Pikes Peak, that'd be a massive, massive shame.

Fixed. 👍
I think it will be like rally stage: best time is the winner.
Super excited for a track from my homeboy state to possibly come back to my favorite game franchise

Ok, now when has PD ever gotten an exclusive track? That doesn't even go with their usual motto of not paying through the nose for any content to be included. So I would take this with a huge grain of salt, could be the owners of Pikes Peak sought to only license it to one and not PD actively seeking exclusivity. Since you know PD can pretty much have Japanese race courses like Tsukuba, Motegi and Suzuka much easier than any other outfit who does not hail from Japan. Temper yourselves on this one, can anyone find any past proof of PD exclusively licensing any manufacturer or course for use in any GT game? Did PD get exclusivity for Lord March's driveway(Goodwood), highly doubt they went over there we would like to be the only one to use your driveway in our game sir! Just the sound of that is hilarity, lol.

Considering this is Eurogamer (the same people who made some very unfounded comments last year regarding GT Sport), I'm not quite sold on this yet. Given the sales of the previous GTs, an exclusive deal seems like the worst idea right now.

"Everybody gets Porsche!... but we're locking Pikes Peak to one of the slower developers."

-Sim Racing 2017 Q1 :rolleyes:

Quite the overreaction considering there is no evidence supporting this.

Ok, now when has PD ever gotten an exclusive track? That doesn't even go with their usual motto of not paying through the nose for any content to be included. So I would take this with a huge grain of salt, could be the owners of Pikes Peak sought to only license it to one and not PD actively seeking exclusivity. Since you know PD can pretty much have Japanese race courses like Tsukuba, Motegi and Suzuka much easier than any other outfit who does not hail from Japan. Temper yourselves on this one, can anyone find any past proof of PD exclusively licensing any manufacturer or course for use in any GT game? Did PD get exclusivity for Lord March's driveway(Goodwood), highly doubt they went over there we would like to be the only one to use your driveway in our game sir! Just the sound of that is hilarity, lol.

I could be wrong, but if memory serves me well: I think I read a while ago from either a Forza, PCars or Assetto Corsa forum, after players showed there disappointment at the lack of Japanese tracks, that the exclusion was due to them being being exclusively licensed to PD. Don't know if this applies to Suzuka, as I have heard the license fee to use it's likeness is unreasonably expensive for some. This was a reason given for their exclusion by the developer of one of those respective titles mentioned above. Never heard this as an official statement from PD though. But then they have never been the most communicative.

With all due respect: PD were pretty profligate with their licenses of the WRC, Super GT, Nascar and a few others. So an exclusive license of Pikes Peak doesn't fill me with happiness, despite it's exclusion since GT2 if the rumour is true. Even with the advancements in programming since that time.

Last edited:
At this point, the GT franchise is doing much better than the PPIHC. Last year almost no media covered it, almost nobody freakin knew it happened, and many small time competitors were scared away. It has turned in to a big mess thanks to the management. Pikes Peak needs some publicity, but if it takes 3+ years for it to get any, that is bad news.

Considering this is Eurogamer (the same people who made some very unfounded comments last year regarding GT Sport), I'm not quite sold on this yet. Given the sales of the previous GTs, an exclusive deal seems like the worst idea right now.
I asked Paul Coleman if he could give an answer regarding the exclusivity. Wouldn't surprise me though, as there seems to quite a few licensing shenanigans going on lately.

I'm not big fan of exclusivity, it's not good for a gamers like us. It's same thing happening in football game. EA have all exclusive rights to major European league, leaving Konami not having anything. This is not good news at all, I play other racing game too, not just GT.

I dont like this news at all, Exclusivity is not a good thing at all for video games, we do not need another "Porsche/EA" type of exclusivity deal in the racing game genre.

I'm not even sure why one would need a license, nevermind an exclusive license, for a stretch of open public road. Is it just the name that is being licensed or the route likeness as well?

Exclusivity is always bad news :grumpy:

Polyphony Digital... the new Electronic Arts? If so then they really lost it in my opinion.

Kaz: "Oh... the community is against Porsche Exclusivity for EA? It must just be haters, let's get exclusive rights on Pikes Peak and see what happens."

Haven't they been holding PP back for some time already? Here's hoping, exclusive or not, that it is in GT Sport, or at least GT7/8/whatever, whenever the heck that will drop.

Back