35mm's Snapshots

• Thread starter 35mm
  • 1,929 comments
^ Both great shots! I do like the first closeup shot better though :)đź‘Ť

^ Me too. ;)
Thanks.

Since I've got nothing new, I'll just post some older stuff (concert shots):

This is the start of a long series of shots, all taken through the window of a moving bus, in NYC.

I have a feeling this isn't everyone's cup of tea, but for some reason I really liked these shots, and there will be plenty more coming.

So, either enjoy, or don't come here in the next few weeks. :D

Nice focus and lighting đź‘Ť These certainly beat my NYC shots (as you'll see when I get them up!) and I wasn't even in a bus :lol:

^ Been to NYC recently as well?

Here's another batch:

Last edited:
^ Funny that you mention that, because some people commented on these photos, saying that this was not the way to see a city (NY in particular). Obviously I agree with that. You have to walk through a city to enjoy it.

In this case, what we did was just a 3 hour tour on the bus (right after we got to NY), and the rest of the 4 days in the city were all about walking, nothing else. Which I think it's a perfect combination, because you get a very general view of the city right after you get there. And as a bonus, you get a higher perspective and encounter specific situations you otherwise wouldn't when just walking.

And, yes, expect some more photos from NYC (a lot, actually), but no more from the bus. :D

Definately better than my NY shots. For a quick tour the bus works but its good to walk about too.

Awesome shots... Really want to go to New York again sometime in the future. Just got back from Rome yesterday myself.. which is also a great spot for photo ops, especially night shots. :D I did the same as you in NY and walked just about everything to get a view of the city. I agree thats the best way to explore!

^ It is quite a special place. I'll definitely be coming back some day, too. Thanks. đź‘Ť

Never been to New York City......

I've been once, in February 2002 on a school trip. I would definitely like to go back sometime in the future. So much I didn't get to see. The trip was nice though because the teachers had a whole "education based" trip planned, but when we landed in NYC the head teacher in charge said that we were free to go where we wanted. :dopey: (as a group) So we went to the Statue of Liberty, Hard Rock Cafe, Empire State Building, etc. Obviously since this was just after 9/11 we went to the World Trade Center.

Other than being in the middle of an illegal movie selling sting by the cops it wasn't a bad trip. :P

Nice pics Diabolical!

Where did you go to school? I mean I could hop in my car at 6am and be there by noon, but I've just never even thought of doing it.

Where did you go to school? I mean I could hop in my car at 6am and be there by noon, but I've just never even thought of doing it.

It was a small, semi-private high school here in Phoenix. Kind of an alternative school where we got PE credits by joining an adventure club (hiking mainly) and science credits by taking a CSI class. :dopey:

It was a small, semi-private high school here in Phoenix. Kind of an alternative school where we got PE credits by joining an adventure club (hiking mainly) and science credits by taking a CSI class. :dopey:

There was a CSI style class in my high school as well. I was in a class across the hall from it, and thought it was a study hall for weeks.

So what type of glass is being used for these shots?

Dude, some awesome photos here! I've been looking at this thread for some time, keep it up:tup:

I'm sure you've been asked many times, but what camera did you use to take those shots here? and what lenses ?
Thanks! I appreciate it.

About the gear, my first and only dSLR body is a Nikon D200, which was the camera used for all these shots (except some film shots, a few pages back).

All the New York photos here so far were taken with a Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5, which is not mine (I borrowed from a friend, specifically for this trip).
Incidentally, the shots you quoted were taken with my cheap Nikkor 55-200mm VR (they are the only exception so far).

By the way, if you follow the link of each photo to its flickr page, you can see all this information there (in the EXIF and/or tags).

So what type of glass is being used for these shots?
I really thought you were just messing when you said you've never been to NY a few posts back... :dopey:
See above for the glass.

Also, thanks, R1600Turbo and Carlos. đź‘Ťđź‘Ť

Really enjoying these shots. You're doing them a disservice by describing your thread as "snapshots"!

I like the fairly geometric approach in most of the shots too, shooting directly down streets rather than picking angles. Emphasises the grid system and lets some of the city's character filter through đź‘Ť

Back