35mm's Snapshots

• Thread starter 35mm
  • 1,929 comments
The tones and the style here are things that haven't wavered for the 8+ year this gallery has gone on for. Every time, after vast periods of not visiting, I worry that the impact will be lessened when I take another look.

It's never the case.

Are you on ig?

The tones and the style here are things that haven't wavered for the 8+ year this gallery has gone on for. Every time, after vast periods of not visiting, I worry that the impact will be lessened when I take another look.

It's never the case.

Are you on ig?
Always great to hear from you, @Boffin. Thanks for the kind words once again.

I was never much of an IG guy and because of that my account isn't very organized and lacks method in posting.
But here it is anyway: www.instagram.com/figueiredojoao/

Wait wait, A7 IV? Sony FE lens?

What have you done with @35mm ?
That guy has gotten older, basically.

The fact that I've been mostly shooting family and friends nowadays (and also doing some small videos) has helped making the jump, as these new auto-focus systems are simply too good and make your life so much easier for portraits.

It was quite the impulse purchase and came with a lot of buying remorse - I simply cannot justify having such a camera. But hey, YOLO and whatnot... Like I said, I am getting older.

I've also sold the Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA and got a Sony FE 35mm f/1.8 instead, so my AF gear now consists of:

Sony A7 IV
Sony FE 35mm f/1.8
Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA
Sony FE 85mm f/1.8

In the meantime, my A7 is turning 10 in a coupe of months! But I'm keeping it with me as, along with the Voigtländer Nokton Classic 40mm f/1.4, it is still a great little combo to carry around.

And I may need to change my nickname to "Digital AF" or something, as this guy hasn't touched a film camera in quite some time now...

what a gem this thread is!
I knew I was missing something. Glad to see you’re still out there.
Thanks for the words and for keeping visiting this place, gents. Really appreciate it.

That guy has gotten older, basically.

The fact that I've been mostly shooting family and friends nowadays (and also doing some small videos) has helped making the jump, as these new auto-focus systems are simply too good and make your life so much easier for portraits.

It was quite the impulse purchase and came with a lot of buying remorse - I simply cannot justify having such a camera. But hey, YOLO and whatnot... Like I said, I am getting older.

I've also sold the Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA and got a Sony FE 35mm f/1.8 instead, so my AF gear now consists of:

Sony A7 IV
Sony FE 35mm f/1.8
Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA
Sony FE 85mm f/1.8

In the meantime, my A7 is turning 10 in a coupe of months! But I'm keeping it with me as, along with the Voigtländer Nokton Classic 40mm f/1.4, it is still a great little combo to carry around.
That's a solid setup. And can't blame you for wanting AF - big part of why I migrated to Fuji years ago. Decent AF with plenty of small lenses and an old school film feeling set of dials. The latest Sony AF is still in a whole different league though and I'd absolutely use the eye-AF in social situations instead of thinking about where to place focus haha. Currently, I just leave Fuji's 27/2.8 pancake on my X-Pro2 since that 40mm FoV and AF turns photography into a point and click adventure game.

I do miss the A7+40 1.4 combo. Actually borrowed my old A7 back from a friend but the EVF wasn't for me and full-frame doesn't matter as much to me. Only time I really want FF is when I'm hired to document weddings and even then, only because of the look a 35 1.4 on FF can give. That said, it is wild how small the original A7 body is, even compared to my Fuji bodies.

I recently used the Voigtlander Nokton 23 1.2 X at a wedding and it was about all I'd been asking for in terms of rendering and handling - no doubt buying one next year.

How does the Sony 35/1.8 compare to the Zeiss 35/2.8? Is it just the trade of sharpness and size for extra light and DoF control I imagine it to be?

Also, have you looked into the compact Samyang/Rokinon AF lenses? That 18/2.8 looks like a great little ultra wide.

Back