Fernando Alonso Rumored to Drive for Toyota at 2018 24 Hours of Le Mans [UPDATE]

Imagine a win for him......He would not only come closer to the triple crown he would break the unholy bond of Le Mans and Toyota. If they finally manage (which I honestly hope) , cancer, extinction and all evil will be gone. Alonso would be a sort of Messiah in Japan. Maybe the new emperor.
I am still bitter that the TS020 didn´t take it in 1998/1999.

Hope it doesn´t end as his Indy Car Assault this year because that was so close. I am no Alonso fanboy, he is a cool guy ad I have huge respect and support for his self inflicted duty.

Imagine a win for him......He would not only come closer to the triple crown he would break the unholy bond of Le Mans and Toyota. If they finally manage (which I honestly hope) , cancer, extinction and all evil will be gone. Alonso would be a sort of Messiah in Japan. Maybe the new emperor.

Hope it doesn´t end as his Indy Car Assault this year because that was so close. I am no Alonso fanboy, he is a cool guy ad I have huge respect and support for his self inflicted duty.
Took the words out of my mouth.

With Toyota having the only LMP1 team left, a victory would be quite hollow and prove nothing. They had their shot at a meaningful victory at Le Mans and missed.

This guy has a future in acing after F1. I think he’s just feeling out different disciplines to see what he’d do next after he retires from F1. That’s just my opinion.

With Toyota having the only LMP1 team left, a victory would be quite hollow and prove nothing. They had their shot at a meaningful victory at Le Mans and missed.

Thats why I‘m bitter. It‘s not the manufacturer‘s war as we know it. It would have meant more in the two races I’ve mentioned. But! And it‘s a big but. 1984 was the year of Porsche privateers with the works team not competing and Lancia out of contention. The privateers fought their way through until the very last minute. It was obe of the mist exciting races of all time. 1995 the same. No real works entries in the top tier classes, just privateers fighting it out on purchased chassis... this race too is one, very cherished by the motorsport community. The lack of manufacturers competition shouldnt be an end to the excitement. And as we know Toyota... the privateers do have a chance of stirring things up.

Except, they're not- Manor are entering with at least 1 Ginetta, Dragonspeed are entering with an unknown chassis, SMP racing are entering with a BR Engineering Dallara. These are just the confrimed teams. You're right that Toyota are the only hybrid lmp1 yes, but not the only lmp1 team. And if you missed it, the class is no longer being counted as two separate divisions, as in no distinction between hybrid and non-hybrid as they'll compete for the win with new rules to make the non-hybrids faster than ever.

bykolles powered by NISMO confirmed as 2018 Le Mans winner. combining Toyota's and Alonso's bad luck won't cancel each other out, it will just increase it exponentially

Except, they're not- Manor are entering with at least 1 Ginetta, Dragonspeed are entering with an unknown chassis, SMP racing are entering with a BR Engineering Dallara. These are just the confrimed teams. You're right that Toyota are the only hybrid lmp1 yes, but not the only lmp1 team. And if you missed it, the class is no longer being counted as two separate divisions, as in no distinction between hybrid and non-hybrid as they'll compete for the win with new rules to make the non-hybrids faster than ever.
Sorry, I should have said that Toyota had no competition left in LMP1. There is nothing to gain for Toyota this year. If they go and beat up on those small teams and win who cares? That’s what is supposed to happen. If they lose another one, it would be the most embarrassing loss yet. I don’t see the point.

This isn't official yet, isn't it? But i hope it will happen, because this will be a good news for once for WEC. There will be huge media interest because of Alonso. The best F1 drivers are pretty much the greatest thing that can happen to a series like WEC - fans and media want to see the stars.

Maybe so. But it wasn’t much different from 2000-2006 when Audi (and Bentley, ie also Volkswagen Group) were the only works effort. Does anyone ask today, if those victories were worth less, because there was no works competition that made it harder for them? No...

Sorry, I should have said that Toyota had no competition left in LMP1. There is nothing to gain for Toyota this year. If they go and beat up on those small teams and win who cares? That’s what is supposed to happen. If they lose another one, it would be the most embarrassing loss yet. I don’t see the point.
Audi's early wins ring any bells for you? Toyota have competed hard enough against Audi and Porsche, they are entitled to a gimme - but then again, they couldn't beat the LMP2's at Le Mans this year and they'll have Mr wrong team at the wrong time driving for them. What could possibly go wrong?

I'm very confused. Will Toyota have an opponent in LMP1 next year? If not, then what's the point of winning the race. Is Toyota so desperate that they'll take a win even if it means scoring a goal on an empty field?

I'm very confused. Will Toyota have an opponent in LMP1 next year? If not, then what's the point of winning the race. Is Toyota so desperate that they'll take a win even if it means scoring a goal on an empty field?

They'll be the only works team, there will be privateers.

Why is this still being asked? 3 teams so far have confirmed an entry next year. In fact, just today SMP racing/ BR Engineering announced they're revealing the car at Bahrain!

Apologies, all. As editor, I was under the impression this was confirmed, but it turns out the Beeb and its anonymous source are the closest we have. The article has been updated to more accurately reflect the current situation. Thank you to everybody that pointed it out.

Maybe so. But it wasn’t much different from 2000-2006 when Audi (and Bentley, ie also Volkswagen Group) were the only works effort. Does anyone ask today, if those victories were worth less, because there was no works competition that made it harder for them? No...
Those wins are absolutely less impressive because of the level of competition they came against. There was never a question as to who would win those races before the green flag waved. A top tier works team beating a privateer team is not front page news, like I said it’s expected. A top tier works team losing to a privateer team is whole other matter and would be very embarrassing for Toyota. They stand to lose much more than they stand to gain this year at Le Mans.

Doesn't matter how "impressive" a Le Mans win is, history shows the winner of the Le Mans 24 hours. If Toyota wins with Alonso, they will go down in history as winners of the Le Mans 24 hours. There's no asterisk by it, they're put down as winners. Audi and Porsche can brag about their 10+ Le Mans wins because it's the truth. Not many are going to say to them "Yeah but you only beat ...". Even finishing is an accomplishment. There's not many who can say they've won this race, because it's that hard.

I never said that they don’t count it as a win, but to say that the level of competition you beat for a win means nothing is ridiculous. It’s an interesting discussion though. Motorsports is the only sport where this can even happen, besides combat sports really. Try to name the best boxer of all time and no doubt the “he never had to fight so and so” argument gets brought up. Your competition does matter. Do you really think beating Maron is the same as beating Porsche? It definitely isn’t.

Like Audi did in 2000-2006?

Back