PlayStation 4 Has Now Sold Over 91 Million Units

People forget that the PS4 has sold well because it was more affordable being less technologically advanced compared to the PS3 when it launched.

Also the price has been able to be brought down quicker because of that simplicity and that has resulted in even more sales. A relatively cheap console with decent games was always going to rack up the numbers.

People forget that the PS4 has sold well because it was more affordable being less technologically advanced compared to the PS3 when it launched.

Also the price has been able to be brought down quicker because of that simplicity and that has resulted in even more sales. A relatively cheap console with decent games was always going to rack up the numbers.
Price hasn’t come down quicker. It’s 5 years old and still $299, a mere $100 off of launch price.

Maybe it will look as good as Horizon 4.

GTS already looks better than FH4. I would say DC has very realistic gfx under certain condition. It also probably has the next best car models in a racing game. I would love to see these weather affects on GT for PS5

No wonder when many consumers adopt the PS4 Pro like they would have if it was the PS5. For example, like many others I replaced my fully functional PS4 with a PS4 Pro. This is part of the explanation why it has already outsold the PS3.

No wonder when many consumers adopt the PS4 Pro like they would have if it was the PS5. For example, like many others I replaced my fully functional PS4 with a PS4 Pro. This is part of the explanation why it has already outsold the PS3.

Yeah, unlike the PS3 which never received a more powerful version, the PS4 Pro has effectively given like half the customer base a reason to buy twice!

I'm very surprised to hear that it's outsold the PS3, but, as Robin pointed out it probably has to do with the Pro.

PS4 was already well on the way to beating PS3 when PS4 Pro was released. Regular PS4 accounts for 70% of sales even today.

By the end of 2019 you’ll be looking at around 105m-108m. And 115m through 2020. Sony continues to sell ‘old’ consoles a couple of years after new hardware is released. As pointed out above they have plenty scope to reduce the price.

Very impressive, deserved too. PS4 has knocked it out of the park since day 0. Curious to see how (and if) Xbox plans to bring back some of the lapsed fans of the 360 next gen. The reveal of the One really did set it off on an unfortunate sales pace that continues even now.

Although judging on the latest sales results the two consoles appear to be doing more similar in the west in recent times.

If the PS4 will remain in the history books (I honestly doubt it), that will be because it's the only PS console without a real GT title in it's line up (GTS is like a technological teaser, not a rea GT, folks). I bought few years ago a PS4 with a future GT title in mind, I still have it, it's just fine for me in 1080p (I don't plan to switch for Pro). Maybe with the PS5 I will make the jump from FHD to 4K, will see...

I would be interested in buying a PS4 Pro this year if there was a slim model along with a sub-£300 price tag (aside from the occasional sale, it's been at launch price for what feels like forever now...)

I'm getting more and more convinced the PS4 will sell more units than the PS2...

Unlikely. It's over 60 million away from that figure, and just passed its fifth birthday. It'd have to maintain its current pace for over three years to get there.

It'll probably beat the original PS1, and just might crack the top three by displacing the original Game Boy.

Very impressive, deserved too. PS4 has knocked it out of the park since day 0. Curious to see how (and if) Xbox plans to bring back some of the lapsed fans of the 360 next gen. The reveal of the One really did set it off on an unfortunate sales pace that continues even now.

Although judging on the latest sales results the two consoles appear to be doing more similar in the west in recent times.

Yeah, Sony learned from the PS3 and released a no-nonsense console that was approachable and reasonably priced.

Microsoft had a really misguided idea to minimize brick-and-mortar stores like EB's ability to profit off Xbox games, and (at launch) a forced adoption of a questionable accessory in the form of Kinect. That, and a relative lack of exclusives not named Forza has hung over this generation, so I'm sure the company will be happy to start with a blank slate for the next one.

Funnily enough, had MS just waited a few years, it would've seen EB's struggles were going to come anyway as people adopt digital editions. As for exclusives, I think people overstate their importance (they make up a small portion of game sales), and the increasing adoption of cross-platform play will make exclusives' power over buyers even weaker. That said, exclusives still sell consoles, and MS gobbling up a bunch of studios last year shows it realizes as much. Whether they all deliver is another matter.

Meanwhile, I can't be alone in thinking Sony's exclusives have sort of fallen into the same trap as MS' from a few years ago. 2018 did well with GOW and Spider-Man, while 2019 has TLOU2 (which has been shown in some form or another at E3 for three years now) still without a solid release date; that other zombie game I can never remember the actual name of it looks so meh; and Death Stranding, a game that would be ignored if not for the Kojima connection. It too has been shown off about as long as the Supra, and still doesn't look any closer to a release.

Unlikely. It's over 60 million away from that figure, and just passed its fifth birthday. It'd have to maintain its current pace for over three years to get there.

It'll probably beat the original PS1, and just might crack the top three by displacing the original Game Boy.

Yeah, Sony learned from the PS3 and released a no-nonsense console that was approachable and reasonably priced.

Microsoft had a really misguided idea to minimize brick-and-mortar stores like EB's ability to profit off Xbox games, and (at launch) a forced adoption of a questionable accessory in the form of Kinect. That, and a relative lack of exclusives not named Forza has hung over this generation, so I'm sure the company will be happy to start with a blank slate for the next one.

Funnily enough, had MS just waited a few years, it would've seen EB's struggles were going to come anyway as people adopt digital editions. As for exclusives, I think people overstate their importance (they make up a small portion of game sales), and the increasing adoption of cross-platform play will make exclusives' power over buyers even weaker. That said, exclusives still sell consoles, and MS gobbling up a bunch of studios last year shows it realizes as much. Whether they all deliver is another matter.

Meanwhile, I can't be alone in thinking Sony's exclusives have sort of fallen into the same trap as MS' from a few years ago. 2018 did well with GOW and Spider-Man, while 2019 has TLOU2 (which has been shown in some form or another at E3 for three years now) still without a solid release date; that other zombie game I can never remember the actual name of it looks so meh; and Death Stranding, a game that would be ignored if not for the Kojima connection. It too has been shown off about as long as the Supra, and still doesn't look any closer to a release.
Sony’s 2019 lineup is my definition of snore. Especially Days Gone, that seems like a game that should have come out in 2009.

I agree regarding exclusives to an extent but Spiderman selling 9 million in a few months highlights that certain types of exclusives can really tip the scales. I’d also cite Nintendo here but given that is the reason people buy the consoles single-handedly it is probably not a good example. That used to be why I bought PlayStation too but 3rd person action game fatigue is real for me and outside of Spidey I was really unarsed about the other offerings exclusively for the past few years. Xbox looks to be following the same route of success with the studios they have snapped up so unfortunately I’m not too excited about what might be in store at this point in time. Still though, they do have Forza...

I’ve still not decided where to go next gen - PlayStation really is falling away for me in relevance. GT Sport is a well made game but not what I’m looking for - Forza on the other hand is still aiming for a more traditional experience I enjoy. Maybe it’ll be a gaming PC and Nintendo going forward...or a Mad Box. :sly:

Still waiting for the REAL GT to arrive, but now I'm wondering if buying the next console (PS5) is going to justify my decision to purchase it, not just "graphix". It depends whether PD gets it right and goes for the traditional approach, but a fun one, one that made GT famous in general.

Being a CarRPG nut, it's why Forza will always be my main choice regardless of graphics. Rent over.

On topic: Congrats to Sony on reaching 91mill sales on the PS4. However, I hope they don't get cocky onward...

I will agree with you, but it was that technological advancement that made it an absolute pain to develop on. The architecture on paper was fantastic, but not particularly optimal for its primary use - gaming. It wasn't really until the end of the PS3's life cycle that developers were beginning to get a handle on it.

The PS4 however gave game developers an architecture that they were already pretty familiar with - intel compatible with an AMD graphics solution. Maybe not as technologically advanced for its time, but significantly more useable for gaming development - not to mention easier code portability.

Technology for technology's sake is not always a good idea, even if it does look good on paper.

GTS already looks better than FH4. I would say DC has very realistic gfx under certain condition. It also probably has the next best car models in a racing game. I would love to see these weather affects on GT for PS5

I'm pretty sure that's driveclub. RIP

I fall into this category as well. Regular ps4 was/is working fine. Wife bought me a pro for Christmas. So I'm hoping ps5 is a long ways off, can't be getting another console too soon. :lol:

Sony’s 2019 lineup is my definition of snore. Especially Days Gone, that seems like a game that should have come out in 2009.

That's the name! I've been utterly confused about it since it released: what's the appeal?

I agree regarding exclusives to an extent but Spiderman selling 9 million in a few months highlights that certain types of exclusives can really tip the scales. I’d also cite Nintendo here but given that is the reason people buy the consoles single-handedly it is probably not a good example. That used to be why I bought PlayStation too but 3rd person action game fatigue is real for me and outside of Spidey I was really unarsed about the other offerings exclusively for the past few years. Xbox looks to be following the same route of success with the studios they have snapped up so unfortunately I’m not too excited about what might be in store at this point in time. Still though, they do have Forza...

I get you. The games that have really stuck with me this gen have all been outside that third-person mould, but we're probably the outliers. Spider-Man in particular feels like a Venn diagram exercise: it's so appealing to so many people. That doesn't make it bad, but it does make it feel... safe?

Yeah, the only reason I've even considered a Nintendo system over the last decade was the exclusives. :P

I’ve still not decided where to go next gen - PlayStation really is falling away for me in relevance. GT Sport is a well made game but not what I’m looking for - Forza on the other hand is still aiming for a more traditional experience I enjoy. Maybe it’ll be a gaming PC and Nintendo going forward...or a Mad Box. :sly:

Gaming PC? Don't do it, Brend! :lol:

Back