Mazda 6! Straight-six, that is...

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 112 comments
Australia
Australia
https://www.motoring.com.au/mazda-confirms-straight-six-engines-118394/

mazda-product-slide-20.jpg

The two engines are listed under the title of ‘Large Architecture’ — likely relating to the size of platform and body they will power.

Interestingly, however, one of the Large Architecture’s attributes is listed as ‘Longitudinal engine layout (incl. i-Activ AWD)’, which would be a drastic departure from the east-west engine layout adopted across the existing Mazda range.

A north-south or longitudinal engine layout would also give Mazda the opportunity to produce a rear-wheel drive model such as a rotary-powered sports car…

If Mazda do a I6 skyactive X rear drive for the next generation Mazda 6 I Will highly consider buying one.

A longitudinal straight-6 that appeals (only) to enthusiasts, right after they've axed the manual transmission for the 6, as in the car... :dopey:

I suppose a straight engine might make packaging easier for Skyactiv equipment than a V6?

A few bikes, such as the Benelli Sei, Honda CBX and Kawasaki Z1300.

Suzuki had one in their Verona compact sedan.

The Wolseley and derivatives like the later Princess had a bit of a packaging advantage with the engine on top of the gearbox rather than having the 'box tacked onto one side of it, like a Mini, and so they could slot that E-series six-pot almost right between the wheels save for the clutch and drop gears which didn't take up too much real estate.

image002.jpg

Also, @Populuxe Cowboy, recall that DAWB 6. Granted it wasn't a production car, but it did have a transverse inline six.

Did you guys not read the part that also said "Longitudinal Engine Layout"?

So, of course, it will be like Saab or Audi's Long.-FWD setup.

:lol:

Did you guys not read the part that also said "Longitudinal Engine Layout"?

So, of course, it will be like Saab or Audi's Long.-FWD setup.

:lol:
It could simply be a question being asked, not necessarily applicable to the vehicle architecture proposals.

You can do longitudinal FWD without the entire engine ahead of the differential, like the Triumph 1300 and Toyota Tercel.

triumph-1300-cutaway.jpg

cutaway-japanclassic-ru.jpg

Also, there have been front/mid longitudinal FWD configurations--even including straight eights. Though consider the more reasonable Citroën SM with its Maserati V6:

h88-citroen-sm-cutaway-diagram-02-racingcars-wikidot.jpg

That's not likely what this will be, rather I suspect it will be similar to contemporary RWD-derived AWD systems that have a transfer case and one axle passing beneath the crankshaft either through the oil pan or under it.

Mazda RX-9 confirmed!!! :)

Joking aside (you are joking, right? :lol:) I wonder if Mazda's recent decision to re-trademark the MX-6 nameplate coincides with this news at all. Just imagine a stretched MX-5, with a 2+2 coupe body, and a glorious naturally aspirated inline 6. :drool::drool:

It would make some sense if the next generation 6 was offered as a coupe or a sedan, especially if they are wanting to get into the compact executive ring. The 6 would remain the sedan variant and the MX-6 would be the 4 series fighter. At equivalent per-cylinder displacement to the 2.5, the Skyactiv 6 would be a rather burly 3.75 liters and probably make around 290lbs-ft torque, and that's naturally aspirated! That's hott. MAKE IT HAPPEN MAZDA!

At equivalent per-cylinder displacement to the 2.5, the Skyactiv 6 would be a rather burly 3.75 liters and probably make around 290lbs-ft torque, and that's naturally aspirated!
Just like the similar sized V6s GM and Hyundai already have already do?

Just like the similar sized V6s GM and Hyundai already have already do?

That's true. I just got excited thinking about an inline-6 that big in a car. That's like old Jaguar territory. On second reading though, it will probably a scaled up 2.0 (owing to it being skyactiv-x, not g), not 2.5 So that means it will more likely be the customary 3.0 liter inline 6. I want my MX-6 to have "3.75 Liter" badges, damn it!

Honda have done plenty of longitudinal FWD cars before.

But I doubt this Mazda thing is one of those Honda/Audi setups. There was a rumor came out around late 2017 saying that Toyota was looking for a partner to spread out the cost of their TGNA RWD platform since they killed Lexus GS and the Chinese assembled Crown. Mazda is the perfect choice for them since they already had a deal in place for the rebadged Mazda 2 in several markets.

MSZ
Honda have done plenty of longitudinal FWD cars before.

But I doubt this Mazda thing is one of those Honda/Audi setups. There was a rumor came out around late 2017 saying that Toyota was looking for a partner to spread out the cost of their TGNA RWD platform since they killed Lexus GS and the Chinese assembled Crown. Mazda is the perfect choice for them since they already had a deal in place for the rebadged Mazda 2 in several markets.
The Mark X is also ceasing production this December. Maybe a possible future rwd Mazda sedan, could be rebadged to replace it.

Every Volvo that had one.
Several Volvos in the 1960s
Unless I'm mistaken, every Volvo with a straight-six made before 1998 was RWD and had their engines mounted conventionally. As far as I can tell, it wasn't until 1998 that Volvo started mounting their straight-sixes sideways for their new FWD cars.

Unless I'm mistaken, every Volvo with a straight-six made before 1998 was RWD and had their engines mounted conventionally. As far as I can tell, it wasn't until 1998 that Volvo started mounting their straight-sixes sideways for their new FWD cars.
I read Tornado's response as tongue-in-cheek; "Every Volvo that had a transverse inline 6 had a transverse inline 6."

Really not sure about anything from Volvo in the '60s though.

rrrrrrrrr ... Sx7 with a i6, damn it mazda make it happen.

and lmao mazda making their own I6, but that's too expensive for toyota to do themselves

upload_2019-5-12_12-24-33-jpeg.820382

50/70k and i'm down.

Back