Sony's PlayStation is 25 Years Old Today

I wonder if they‘ll release a special XMB (or whatever it‘s called now) design again, I still got the 15th on my PS3 and the 20th on the PS4 :lol:

Also I really hope for other content celebrating it to arrive :dopey:

Will always remember running the Laguna Seca Corkscrew License test in GT2 a few hundred times at the age of 8 or 9. A close second memory will always be playing the first Jak & Daxter on Boxing day one Christmas. Great times

I still remember getting one for Christmas and playing F1 '95 first. Spa in the Sauber, ah the memories...
I think it was F1 '97 for me. The one that got pulled from sale for contractual reasons. I was going to get a PS1 along with that game as they were giving one free game of your choice away with the system. I waited until it was available again, which was lucky, Sony had introduced the value pack with an extra pad and memory card included. I still had to buy a scart lead though, my Sega Saturn had come with one, and I also picked up the first analogue pad that had been released by then.

I still remember getting one for Christmas and playing F1 '95 first. Spa in the Sauber, ah the memories...
Me too. I remember being disappointed that the F1 game that I got with the console looked like a crappy knock-off (with a made-up car on the front) only to be delighted to find that it was actually an officially licensed product, with all the real teams, drivers, tracks and - above all else - Murray Walker commentary. I don't think my thumbs have ever forgotten this terrible great day.

Gran Turismo, WipEout, Crash Bandicoot and FF7 were all to follow... and the Playstation has been a cut above the rest ever since.

Nostalgia.mp4

First console I ever bought with my own money. Twisted Metal 2 and GT were pretty much my entire life for that summer. It's funny how despite the graphics looking so horribly primitive now, they still have nostalgic charm to them.

Damn, Playstation one was a great start for me. When I had console in 1999, it has never been sold officially in my county, it was already chipped, and only games you could find here are cheap CD-R discs with printed on cheap printer covers. This console with it's great line up made my tastes to everything, music, art, overall vision, and course love of cars, which were rare here too in those times. Thanks to Need For Speed 4 I found my all time loved Porsche to drive and still in this legacy just dreaming if not have, just to ride one once. Plus Playstation helped me to learn English and now here to have great fellas:). If not Playstation, I couldn't imagine myself in this world, imo, for me it's just much more than gaming device, it's a great window to see and greatest way to know the entire world.

I have Playstation 1, PSone, Playstation 3, Playstation 3 Slim, Playstation 4 slim and Vita currently. Pretty sad to loose Playstation 2 on the way to its day. I wish to Sony very best, hope they continue to bring entertainment, joy and exploration on the same level till end of times. They are the best, this no doubt.

Whoo, time flies. Remember getting the PlayStation around 1997 (I think?) and while I can't remember what was the first game of all the ones I played on it, I do fondly remember "PlayStation Underground" for its magazines and many Demo discs (Which I still have). This is the one I remember the most:

Pure and simple: THIS right here is what introduced me to Gran Turismo AND Tekken, both having been part of my gaming library since then.

God I feel old now as I was 26 when I handed over my Barclaycard for a PS1 complete with Ridge Race and Battle Arena Toshinden.

Came to a total £420 - bloody expensive at the time, which means consoles and games have got a lot cheaper when inflation is taken into account.

Lasted me nearly 9 years before I bought into the PS2, and then I got it only because of GT4.

Skipped the PS3, and then finally early last year I bought a PS4 because of GTS

Yep, the Playstation has been a fun reoccurring part of my life.

Whoo, time flies. Remember getting the PlayStation around 1997 (I think?) and while I can't remember what was the first game of all the ones I played on it, I do fondly remember "PlayStation Underground" for its magazines and many Demo discs (Which I still have). This is the one I remember the most:

Pure and simple: THIS right here is what introduced me to Gran Turismo AND Tekken, both having been part of my gaming library since then.
I probably still have my copy as well, along with a few others. Always looked forward to new demo discs.

Still have all my PS1, 2, 3, and 4 games I ever bought, along with the consoles, except the first one unfortunately.

I have others in the attic, those were just the consoles I could quickly lay my hands on...

Famine
We can only guess what consoles will look like in another 25 years
I'm not sure what they'll look like but I'm sure your ceiling will have collapsed from all the weight of the various PlayStation paraphernalia in the attic by then. :)

Best memory I have is getting a PSOne for Christmas, and i also got Gran Turismo 1.

I was about 3/4 years old at this point and was already car mad. Use to collect Match box & Hot Wheels toy cars.

So I launched GT1 up, when into the arcade mode, chosen High Speed Ring then I choose the purple R33 Skyline. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing! From such a young age, I could already tell Gran Turismo wasn’t your ordinary racing game. It was something special, and still is.

I turn 26 next month and have been a diehard Playstation player. My parents gave me and my brother a PS1 when we were little. Then, we had the PS2 for a very long time (oh, the countless hours...). My dad then got a PS3 for mainly himself, but he let me play GT5 and 6. And finally, I bought my own PS4 for GT Sport and Crash N. Sane Trilogy. Might as well toss in my PSP Go and Vita :)

I can't believe I was 30 when the first Playstation was released and my playstation love affair began, I've owned PS1, PS2, (which were both given away to friends in need when I upgraded) and I still have my PS3, PS4, PS4 pro and PSVR. I can't see me changing to any other platform than Playstation unless Sony really drops the ball.

I had a few games of Formula 1 97 last night and it was curiously realistic. I won in Brazil as Verstappen, I crashed a Ferrari into my teammate, Magnussen was meh, and seeing both Williams do well reminded me of the tennis.

I missed on PS1 as I was a N64 child, but I did get to play GT2, Syphon Filter, Tekken 3, ISS Pro Evolution and WipEout on it. And I did play Metal Gear Solid on an emulator years later.

Then the PS2 was a revelation as I saw my friend's one and got to play MGS2 with unreal graphics for the time, and PES the first one, oh the sweet memories. We spent many nights playing those two games.

Then I got my own PS2 mainly for the aforementioned PES, the first one, I still have the disk:
a80fcd7b-1d24-4b05-92a0-9146d0da0c1c.jpg

Then I got involved with my first Gran Turismo, the 4th and being amazed at its vastness and attention to detail. And an ongoing love for Nürburgring Nordschleife.

Other masterpieces followed like God of War 1 and 2, the GTAs, preferably Vice City for the atmosphere and soundtrack. PES 5 and the thoughtfulness needed to score a goal. MGS 2 and 3, Tekken 5, the Call of Duties, Okami, Splinter Cell... and dozens others that I rented.

I missed on the PS3 era as I was busy with college and my newfound love of electric guitar, but some 3 years ago I got me a PS4 mainly for these two titles, that I got with a bundle with the console:
d1573835-87c5-46e1-aa53-232897d0fbb6.jpg

But my library has since expanded to over 80 games making PS4 both my most played console and an ongoing love affair with its masterpieces.

Last edited:
Makes me laugh when I see people moan about current console prices or ps5`s suggested price....

Ps1 was expensive back in 94/95..
This is uk pounds aswell £429.00 back then...

My car i bought only 2 years ago cost less than this...
playstation price.jpg

Back