Ford GT Gets More Power For Its Final Run, Plus Liquid Carbon Special Edition

It looks wicked, but I'm surprised that the net change is -9lbs and +13hp. It would have been amazing to see a GTR version or the like on the final run of GTs with really obtuse aero trim and some new, crazy engine specs. Just my dreams, of course.

It looks wicked, but I'm surprised that the net change is -9lbs and +13hp. It would have been amazing to see a GTR version or the like on the final run of GTs with really obtuse aero trim and some new, crazy engine specs. Just my dreams, of course.
That's pretty much what the MkII is for.

I think there's another couple of pounds saved in the paint too, but Ford didn't reveal any specific figures.

Sounds like more work went into smoothing out the power curve and giving it some more low end power, rather than trying to wring every last horse out of it. As far as the weight goes I have to wonder if the car as a whole lost any, since they added larger intercoolers and intakes after shaving off the 9lbs with the exhaust.

Personally I just want to hear how much of a difference that exhaust makes, considering the first model features one of my favorite V6 exhaust notes already.

I don’t think it’s gonna happen because that bay is very cramped.
No kidding! I thought I'd investigate and it's tight. Particularly interesting is the throttle body located at the front of the engine instead of the rear (oil reservoir's in the way; I get it) or dual opposed units like used on the race car. Pretty sure that doesn't affect the engine's length, though; the intake elbows are also tight.

I wonder if using an earlier Ricardo box might help to facilitate the swap, since every longitudinal mid-engine DCT I've seen has substantial distance between the engine mating flange and the axle flange centerline (and I doubt the Getrag in the current GT is any different), but then I doubt it would yield enough space to account for the extra cylinder even based on D35 architecture, let alone the Mod V8 which I suspect has greater bore spacing.

Edit: Hennessy says it's not possible, and while I trust the man as far as I could throw him, I'm pretty sure he's right.

It reminds me of people who immediately wrote off the new NSX because it was a hybrid.
Now they write it off because of its sales figures.

If you really want a V8 in your GT and don't care how great that EcoBoost V6 is supposed to be, I know a guy parting out an old Eldorado with a 472. It's FWD but you could gut the rear of the GT and plunk the GM UPP in place. Of course he would expect GT money if someone is wanting to put it in a GT.

Seeing the Ford GT at the 2020 Houston Auto Show was a sublime experience. It was very fascinating being around this $400K+ USD supercar. I was around the 2000s Ford GT and all $150K+ USD of that. This new Ford GT is just something amazing. These are some bonkers enhancements for this Ford GT! But as we GTPlaneteers say... me likey.

No kidding! I thought I'd investigate and it's tight. Particularly interesting is the throttle body located at the front of the engine instead of the rear (oil reservoir's in the way; I get it) or dual opposed units like used on the race car. Pretty sure that doesn't affect the engine's length, though; the intake elbows are also tight.

I wonder if using an earlier Ricardo box might help to facilitate the swap, since every longitudinal mid-engine DCT I've seen has substantial distance between the engine mating flange and the axle flange centerline (and I doubt the Getrag in the current GT is any different), but then I doubt it would yield enough space to account for the extra cylinder even based on D35 architecture, let alone the Mod V8 which I suspect has greater bore spacing.

Edit: Hennessy says it's not possible, and while I trust the man as far as I could throw him, I'm pretty sure he's right.

Why do you have to write in bold and orange?

The Ford GT looks absolutely amazing, pity in GT Sport it will probably handle like
a shopping trolly going down a flight of stairs :)

Aaaand people are comparing it with the C7 ZR1 already. Fanboys really turned me off of certain cars.
Comparing how? If we're talking performance, the ZR1 offers a "bang for the buck" against the GT. Motortrend's Figure-8 & Willow Springs, the cars are identical, and the ZR1 has a 3 second edge over it. They're also pretty dead even in a straight line.

GT - ZR1
Est. 1/8 mile 7.6 s @ 108.7 mph 7.7 s @ 109.4 mph
1/4 mile 10.8 s @ 134.0 mph 10.8 s @ 135.0 mph
Est. 1/2 mile 18.1 s @ 160.9 mph 18.1 s @ 162.8 mph
Est. 1 mile 29.1 s @ 181.4 mph 29.0 s @ 182.1 mph

They're surprisingly (so far), pretty competitive against it each other on the track, and it's an interesting one to see. The GT is down on the power & torque, but is built around a race car body while the ZR1 has gobs of motor and is relying on its extreme aero work to push a 7-year old design to its limit.

Comparing how? If we're talking performance, the ZR1 offers a "bang for the buck" against the GT. Motortrend's Figure-8 & Willow Springs, the cars are identical, and the ZR1 has a 3 second edge over it. They're also pretty dead even in a straight line.

GT - ZR1
Est. 1/8 mile 7.6 s @ 108.7 mph 7.7 s @ 109.4 mph
1/4 mile 10.8 s @ 134.0 mph 10.8 s @ 135.0 mph
Est. 1/2 mile 18.1 s @ 160.9 mph 18.1 s @ 162.8 mph
Est. 1 mile 29.1 s @ 181.4 mph 29.0 s @ 182.1 mph

They're surprisingly (so far), pretty competitive against it each other on the track, and it's an interesting one to see. The GT is down on the power & torque, but is built around a race car body while the ZR1 has gobs of motor and is relying on its extreme aero work to push a 7-year old design to its limit.
It is interesting, I got nothing against the ZR1, it's just that sometimes it gets tiring seeing Corvette fanboys comments in FB.

Besides, something's wrong with his keyboard. That's a good enough reason as any.
Though, to his credit, he didn't actually persist after that answer.

@ZedNinetySix I'm a proud UT Austin alum and I like to show it.

1200px-Texas_Longhorns_logo.svg.png

Hook'em Horns!

Because there was enough demand to bring in more money/produce more cars without the car's value being exploited on the auction market?

Do you know of their scheme in selling the new Ford GT? Demand is irrelevent in it, Ford only choose certain people to have one, people with money cant go out and just buy them.

Do you know of their scheme in selling the new Ford GT? Demand is irrelevent in it, Ford only choose certain people to have one, people with money cant go out and just buy them.
You actually can, that is the entire purpose of the 350 being added, to be sold off to new customers because there's enough interest on top of the original plan to allow all 4th-year examples to be open for sale.
As we've previously reported, 2017 and 2018 models are reserved for the first round of selected buyers, while cars produced in 2019 will go to buyers who weren't selected for the first two years of production. The fourth year's production run is open to new customers.

Suggest you read my entire sentence as well.
Because there was enough demand to bring in more money/produce more cars without the car's value being exploited on the auction market?
Since you "know of their scheme", you know Ford has been very aggressive in keeping the GT off the used market & away from auction sites. It's part of the reason they chose people to begin with, why the "social media influencers" may receive one so they can "share" the car with the world. Really, it's a great marketing tactic that basically hopes the influencer keeps the car long term. Same with asking how long former GT owners kept their cars and what kind of car collections they own.

So in this case, demand is relevant to Ford because they want the car to remain exclusive.
“The response to our Ford GT has been unprecedented, with initial demand outstripping supply by more than six-to-one,” said Hermann Salenbauch, director of Ford Performance. “By extending the Ford GT production run for a limited period, we’re able to maintain the exclusivity of the ultra-desirable supercar while offering the ownership experience to a greater number of customers.”

They took a Ferrari/Porsche-approach with this vehicle for a reason and that entails making sure the value of the car stays in the black for Ford to keep whomever else happy. That involved purposely capping production, picking the owners, and to an extreme on Ford's part, having a sales embargo. With a planned 4-year production window on the biggest hyped car in Ford's history, this would be difficult without the embargo they placed & the threat of law suits (as blacklisting wouldn't work). Without it, as the first of the 1,000 are made, around a dozen could easily find their way to the open market in the first year. Based on the initial reactions I saw, leaving an open window meant the first few cars see $1 million POAs (as a couple actually were overseas), a hefty return on a $500,000 car. However, by the 3rd year run, "fair market" values could then drop if the market became saturated after the flippers made quick bucks. Exotic car owners aren't fond of this, because exotics are the only, relatively, "investment-safe" cars out there, esp. when you're spending $500,000+. Manufacturers don't like it b/c that's extra money being purposely left off their tables when they factor in MSRPs; Ford could've had started the GT at $1m if they knew people were willing to pay that in the market, but that price point would reflect more negatively in less initial buyers, their company image not being known for that, etc.

The embargo however, kept the car harder to buy, which boosted the value, which keeps the ownership base happy. If you took notice, this additional 350 car run is being added just as the original sales embargo has come to an end & production is set to end in October. First year cars are starting to hit the auction/used markets without backlash from Ford, and their initial values are still around $1m+. That's great for the owners looking to sell now since Ford has already secured their own financial interests & the 350 supply (alongside the Mk. II) is extra money. On top of that, with production closing and a reported 6-to-1 demand, values should stay pretty high for years to come as long as the market remains limited over time.

Ford took a risk being "reluctant to sell" and it's appearing to pay off for those in that circle.

Back