Sony Details PlayStation 5's Backwards Compatibility Functions

This is a thread about PS5 backwards compatibility, not if GT Sport’s servers will still be online after 7 comes out. I’m assuming everyone talking about playing Sport on this thread is talking from the angle of playing it on a PS5. Just asking the question from a general sense is completely unrelated to the topic of this thread.

This is a thread about PS5 backwards compatibility, not if GT Sport’s servers will still be online after 7 comes out. I’m assuming everyone talking about playing Sport on this thread is talking from the angle of playing it on a PS5. Just asking the question from a general sense is completely unrelated to the topic of this thread.

Considering Polyphony's habit of taking a rather short time after the release of the newest game to shut down the servers of the previous game, it's a valid question to ask.

Especially when one looks at how much of GT Sport is online based, when it doesn't have to be, what happens when Polyphony follows usual protocols and people are now left with a paperweight on either PS4 or PS5?

To GTS: Considering how it's mostly an online game, the servers should be up for a bit longer than GT6's servers (they lasted only 1 year after the start of GTS). With GT6 it wasn't a problem as most functions were still usable after server shutdowns. But if theyre shutting down GTS's, well, players will be available to play only the arcade races as there won't be any sense of GTL with a not functioning online save...

To other games: it really feels something like a hug from Sony, as most - if not all - my games are playable on the next gen. By this I will trade in my PS4 for a PS5 for sure, calmly. Sadly back then when I was trading in my PS3 to PS4, I lost all my games... I'm still hating my old self for this and will never forgive.
(RIP GT6, GTA4, Crysis 3, Max Payne 3, etc...)

Last edited:
Feel your pain, but I went other way, saved money for year, and kept PS3 and it still works and stands near my PS4, with which I'm freely going to be parted for PS5. If only me been that smart with PS2 back in the day...

Not that i was expecting it...
... but the ability to occasionaly revisit the Gran Turismos of old would’ve been grand.
No reason for it other than nostalgia, but still...
It’ll be a most welcome bonus if it ever appears.

Last edited:
So basically, that's every PS4 game I have AND want. Its officially even harder to know I have no money for the PS5 now.

I just wonder HOW bad should be the programmers who made that 10 games which don't support backward compatibility.

One of the game calls "Just Deal With It!". There are definitely few people who expected to play this wonderful game on PS5 and now they have to deal with it.

Last edited:
I feel like the article makes it sound more confusing that it needs to be.

My understanding:
Disc PS4 => disc PS5
Digital PS4 => transfer game data to PS5 (via wifi/LAN cable) or redownload a PS5 "improved" version if the devs make one (like Dirt 5)

Is this correct? So game like Driveclub which have been delisted from PSN, you can still transfer manually but not redownload (so if you lose the original, you're SOL). Game saves are the tricky one because it's a case by case basis.

All in all, pretty meh compared to Xbox BC. My PS4 library is tiny compared to my PS1/3 so this barely makes a difference...

Last edited:
Is this correct? So game like Driveclub which have been delisted from PSN, you can still transfer manually but not redownload (so if you lose the original, you're SOL). Game saves are the tricky one because it's a case by case basis.

If you have bought Driveclub - wether its digital or disc based - you can download/install it from your library / disc.

Does this also mean that wheel support will be BC with everything the PS4 supports?
From as earlier gtplanet story :)
Update: Fanatec, Logitech, and Thrustmaster have all confirmed that their officially licensed PS4 wheels will all continue to function for PS5.
https://www.gtplanet.net/ps5-supports-ps4-driving-wheels-20200803/

Wheels like the Thrustmaster T500, which worked on the PS4, are still unknown though as it wasn't officially supported. My feeling is it won't be, or perhaps only for PS4 games unfortunately (my back-up wheel is a T500 so I'm still hoping it is supported).

Last edited:
From as earlier gtplanet story :)
https://www.gtplanet.net/ps5-supports-ps4-driving-wheels-20200803/

Wheels like the Thrustmaster T500, which worked on the PS4, are still unknown though as it wasn't officially supported. My feeling is it won't be, or perhaps only for PS4 games unfortunately (my back-up wheel is a T500 so I'm still hoping it is supported).

Thank you for that. I'm rarely on the forum unless it's article related. I was assuming the devices would be supported. But you never know with Sony.

So basically, that's every PS4 game I have AND want. Its officially even harder to know I have no money for the PS5 now.

Sony should have a finance plan for potential customers that want to get the console but may not be able to at the moment. Something like Microsoft is doing. It would move a few more consoles.

Last edited:
I feel like the article makes it sound more confusing that it needs to be.

My understanding:
Disc PS4 => disc PS5
Digital PS4 => transfer game data to PS5 (via wifi/LAN cable) or redownload a PS5 "improved" version if the devs make one (like Dirt 5)

Yes, that's what I understand as well. You can play the the disc version but can no longer get or download the Season Pass/DLC content.
Driveclub in this case is absolutely useless on the PS5 and the main reason while I'll keep the PS4 hooked up for the foreseeable future.

Edit : Crossing my fingers for a next-gen update for Wreckfest. The game would truly benefit from faster loading times, slightly better image quality and a higher frame rate.

Last edited:
My understanding:
Disc PS4 => disc PS5

Some games will also support PS4 disc > PS5 digital upgrades, but that's for titles that are launching on both generations and depends on the developer setting it up.

Last edited:
Since I still have my PS3 Fatty, getting a PS5 will allow me to play almost the entire Playstation catalog.
sddefault.jpg

Back