Sony Details PlayStation 5's Backwards Compatibility Functions

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by GTPNewsWire, Oct 10, 2020.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

2. Lord Protector

Lord Protector

A true 4K patch, including 60fps replays would be highly appreciated ;)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  3. ROAD_DOGG33J

ROAD_DOGG33J Premium

I'm hoping I'll be able to transfer the save for Wreckfest. That's the only one I need/want.

davidt33, girabyt3, IXON009 and 5 others like this.
  4. HarVee

HarVee

This gives me hope that maybe the GTS servers won't be shut off when GT7 comes out.

Rjo, Inferno251, IXON009 and 2 others like this.
  5. MisterWaffles

MisterWaffles Premium

If 7 is most likely going to include all of the content Sport has and way more, what would be the point of keeping the servers online on PS5 if it’s an inferior product?

GT Kelv, The DOHCter and Rob192005 like this.
  6. MroczMR

MroczMR

Maybe for those who didn't buy PS5.

Rjo, GT Kelv, redhed17 and 6 others like this.
  7. HarVee

HarVee

Exactly. Not everyone is going to be buying a PS5.

GT Kelv and AgentBlackDog like this.
  8. MisterWaffles

MisterWaffles Premium

This is a thread about PS5 backwards compatibility, not if GT Sport’s servers will still be online after 7 comes out. I’m assuming everyone talking about playing Sport on this thread is talking from the angle of playing it on a PS5. Just asking the question from a general sense is completely unrelated to the topic of this thread.

9. Silver Arrows

Silver Arrows

Considering Polyphony's habit of taking a rather short time after the release of the newest game to shut down the servers of the previous game, it's a valid question to ask.

Especially when one looks at how much of GT Sport is online based, when it doesn't have to be, what happens when Polyphony follows usual protocols and people are now left with a paperweight on either PS4 or PS5?

Rjo, MXH, Stoop Solo and 4 others like this.
  10. juanffy18

juanffy18

Ghost of Tsushima 60fps wow what a delicious thing :drool:

davidt33, ykiki, DaigoD and 2 others like this.
  11. Lord Protector

Lord Protector

I knew waiting for PS5 before buying the game would be a good idea :tup:

12. CoolJetta3

CoolJetta3

This is lame, that's 10 out of the 11 games I currently own. Guess my PS5 is going in the bin when it arrives:lol:

imported_rik19 likes this.
  13. ZedNinetySix

ZedNinetySix

I hope Wreckfest gets 60fps on PS5

14. IXON009

IXON009

To GTS: Considering how it's mostly an online game, the servers should be up for a bit longer than GT6's servers (they lasted only 1 year after the start of GTS). With GT6 it wasn't a problem as most functions were still usable after server shutdowns. But if theyre shutting down GTS's, well, players will be available to play only the arcade races as there won't be any sense of GTL with a not functioning online save...

To other games: it really feels something like a hug from Sony, as most - if not all - my games are playable on the next gen. By this I will trade in my PS4 for a PS5 for sure, calmly. Sadly back then when I was trading in my PS3 to PS4, I lost all my games... I'm still hating my old self for this and will never forgive.
    (RIP GT6, GTA4, Crysis 3, Max Payne 3, etc...)

15. Bloodytears

Bloodytears Premium

Feel your pain, but I went other way, saved money for year, and kept PS3 and it still works and stands near my PS4, with which I'm freely going to be parted for PS5. If only me been that smart with PS2 back in the day...

HarVee and IXON009 like this.
  16. dwolff

dwolff

PS4 Pro Pro or ps4 pro plus maybe ? Just take my money already ..

17. Johan

Johan

Not that i was expecting it...
    ... but the ability to occasionaly revisit the Gran Turismos of old would’ve been grand.
    No reason for it other than nostalgia, but still...
    It’ll be a most welcome bonus if it ever appears.

Senna52 likes this.
  18. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

So basically, that's every PS4 game I have AND want. Its officially even harder to know I have no money for the PS5 now.

19. artem9000

artem9000

I just wonder HOW bad should be the programmers who made that 10 games which don't support backward compatibility.

One of the game calls "Just Deal With It!". There are definitely few people who expected to play this wonderful game on PS5 and now they have to deal with it.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    ykiki likes this.
  20. LeGeNd-1

LeGeNd-1 Premium

I feel like the article makes it sound more confusing that it needs to be.

My understanding:
    Disc PS4 => disc PS5
    Digital PS4 => transfer game data to PS5 (via wifi/LAN cable) or redownload a PS5 "improved" version if the devs make one (like Dirt 5)

Is this correct? So game like Driveclub which have been delisted from PSN, you can still transfer manually but not redownload (so if you lose the original, you're SOL). Game saves are the tricky one because it's a case by case basis.

All in all, pretty meh compared to Xbox BC. My PS4 library is tiny compared to my PS1/3 so this barely makes a difference...

21. imported_rik19

imported_rik19

I wonder if driveclub will get 60 frames treatment.... oh my... probably wont but....

Rjo, doblocruiser and klondike like this.
  22. IXON009

IXON009

If you have bought Driveclub - wether its digital or disc based - you can download/install it from your library / disc.

LeGeNd-1 likes this.
  23. davidt33

davidt33

Yup. This is surely one of my must do's. Just LOVE this game.

24. Arkanjel72

Arkanjel72

Does this also mean that wheel support will be BC with everything the PS4 supports?

25. FPV MIC

FPV MIC

From as earlier gtplanet story :)
    https://www.gtplanet.net/ps5-supports-ps4-driving-wheels-20200803/

Wheels like the Thrustmaster T500, which worked on the PS4, are still unknown though as it wasn't officially supported. My feeling is it won't be, or perhaps only for PS4 games unfortunately (my back-up wheel is a T500 so I'm still hoping it is supported).

Arkanjel72 likes this.
  26. Arkanjel72

Arkanjel72

Thank you for that. I'm rarely on the forum unless it's article related. I was assuming the devices would be supported. But you never know with Sony.

FPV MIC likes this.
  27. GT Kelv

GT Kelv

Sony should have a finance plan for potential customers that want to get the console but may not be able to at the moment. Something like Microsoft is doing. It would move a few more consoles.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  28. MXH

MXH Premium

Yes, that's what I understand as well. You can play the the disc version but can no longer get or download the Season Pass/DLC content.
    Driveclub in this case is absolutely useless on the PS5 and the main reason while I'll keep the PS4 hooked up for the foreseeable future.

Edit : Crossing my fingers for a next-gen update for Wreckfest. The game would truly benefit from faster loading times, slightly better image quality and a higher frame rate.

29. Moglet

Moglet Premium

Some games will also support PS4 disc > PS5 digital upgrades, but that's for titles that are launching on both generations and depends on the developer setting it up.

30. vrossi

vrossi

Since I still have my PS3 Fatty, getting a PS5 will allow me to play almost the entire Playstation catalog.
    [​IMG]

sirjim73 and FuriousDemon like this.