Emily Jones: Talking to Gran Turismo's First Female FIA Finalist

W

Genuinely, I don't know anything about it, so could anyone be a friend and tell me what a "finalist" is?
It's hard to summarize. You can find more info here - https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gtsport/fia_championships/2020/

This is a chart for Nation Cup. It may make sense. Or you may need to read more details on the above page.

In the context of the article, finalist = one of the Top 3 from Oceania and one of the 16 racing in the online World finals.

i1kM2JgM8Hdp4.jpg

Last edited:
I thought we were past the point of treating someone differently based on gender? As far as I’m concerned, she’s just another finalist. Why’s it matter what she’s got betwixt her legs? What makes it newsworthy beyond “she’s a girl”
Do you remember when Danica Patrick won that race at Motegi? Well, that was not a normal victory. That was a woman's first victory at Indy Car.

It's a matter of giving relevance. ;)

I thought we were past the point of treating someone differently based on gender? As far as I’m concerned, she’s just another finalist. Why’s it matter what she’s got betwixt her legs? What makes it newsworthy beyond “she’s a girl”
It's because Motorsports is still very much a male dominated sport. Whether it's girls just don't care much for racing, or nobody wants to get behind and support them, or whatever. It is a shame, as I know more than a few very capable women in motorsport across rally, drag, touring cars, etc.

Hopefully Emily's inclusion in the series paves the way for more like her to get amongst it! 👍

Here we have a right-wing conservative who thinks only men can race - and that a women's involvement doesn't deserve to be celebrated.

Last edited:
If you don't get why then it says far more about you than those that can see the rather clear newsworthiness of it.

Oh and it quite clearly matters to you, or you wouldn't have bothered posting about it.

There's always one of these comments in threads regarding women and minorities,it's kind of a cliche at this point.
I should make bingo about it

Last edited:
She was very impressive at the Sydney world tour 'Pro/Am' exhibition event where she made up about 7 places to get into 2nd position at a race at Laguna Seca. And that was without resorting to bumper car shenanigans.

Seemed very unflappable and I think she'll do very well in the finals because she won't do anything stupid or hot headed.

Last edited:
I saw one of her race streams about a year ago. She was fascinating to watch. Her demeanor is so calm and she's so smooth. She worked her way up to 2nd place at Spa against the most elite racers.

She's clean and unflappable and her commentary is like she's having tea with a friend. I had forgotten her name but not her.

Thanks for highlighting her.

I saw one of her race streams about a year ago. She was fascinating to watch. Her demeanor is so calm and she's so smooth. She worked her way up to 2nd place at Spa against the most elite racers.

She's clean and unflappable and her commentary is like she's having tea with a friend. I had forgotten her name but not her.

Thanks for highlighting her.
Spa 'Wet'. :crazy:👍

Here we have a right-wing conservative who thinks only men can race - and that a women's involvement doesn't deserve to be celebrated.
“Women can do anything a man can do, there is no difference. That’s why we must put on a pedestal and treat as a goddess every woman who accomplishes ¼ of what a man does”

I love how me viewing her as a racer rather than specifically as a ‘female racer’ somehow makes me a conservative misogynist.

I do agree with this guy in that people are people and that a certain gender or whatever you identify as shouldnt be pushed as something special when everyone can participate in these activities.

However by the same token, whats the harm is celebrating something that's unusual?

If you dont like these sorts of articles you cant just let it go? you're that petty?

At this point, what do you want to happen? Delete the article? Put a huge disclaimer on the masthead for the sensitive folks out there?

I love how me viewing her as a racer rather than specifically as a ‘female racer’ somehow makes me a conservative misogynist.
Viewing her as "a racer" rather than "a female racer" would have been not asking what's the relevance of the post.

The fact is, she's the first woman in the event. That's newsworthy, because of the lack of women in motorsports.

Emily earning her place in the event says to the women and girls of the world "Hey, look, this lady's out there sticking it to the men! Come on, why not get amongst it too? There's no reason not to, despite the stigma of racing being seen as a men's sport."

If you can't get that, then maybe you shouldn't be out here making up gender issues.

Congratulations Emily!

If you don't get why then it says far more about you than those that can see the rather clear newsworthiness of it.

Oh and it quite clearly matters to you, or you wouldn't have bothered posting about it.

There's always one of these comments in threads regarding women and minorities,it's kind of a cliche at this point.
I should make bingo about it

Well frank.. Just this post explains it..
Woah, why the hostility? You and Frank all accept Emily has definitively earned her place in the finals; why are you attributing things to Frank that he did not say and throwing out labels?

There's no malice or ill will against Emily (or women in racing) from any of you. You're just proponents for different requirements toward making women in racing a more common occurrence. Most of you think it's still worth actively encouraging more women to give it a go, which is fair enough. Frank's helping to hold the door open for the women who do opt to give it a go by being part of the group who already accept their presence in racing as a completely normal thing.

Both viewpoints are perfectly valid, the only question is when do you have to move from emphasising one to the other to make it truly normal.

Last edited:
I get why this is news. honestly. Although that because of articles like that, that gender equality is still a far away dream.

p78
I get why this is news. honestly. Although that because of articles like that, that gender equality is still a far away dream.

Gender equality is a pipe dream.

I agree with many of that guy's sentiments. I expect people read into the way he expresses himself too.

He's not helping anyone much less himself and far from helping any "womens' issues".

Woah, why the hostility? You and Frank all accept Emily has definitively earned her place in the finals; why are you attributing things to Frank that he did not say and throwing out labels?

There's no malice or ill will against Emily (or women in racing) from any of you. You're just proponents for different requirements toward making women in racing a more common occurrence. Most of you think it's still worth actively encouraging more women to give it a go, which is fair enough.
I know, that's exactly the point, and it's not only 'still worth' active encouragement and support, but it's also essential.

Frank's helping to hold the door open for the women who do opt to give it a go by being part of the group who already accept their presence in racing as a completely normal thing.
No, he's not, he's calling for the status quo to be maintained, one that has held a very low glass ceiling in place for women in racing for decades.

Both viewpoints are perfectly valid, the only question is when do you have to move from emphasising one to the other to make it truly normal.
That's got it arse about face, you don't get to a point of equality of opportunity by refusing to acknowledge that a problem exists and not talking about it, all that does is perpetuate the issue.

Gender equality is a pipe dream.

I agree with many of that guy's sentiments. I expect people read into the way he expresses himself too.

He's not helping anyone much less himself and far from helping any "womens' issues".
Which guy?

If it were only that we wouldn't.

“Women can do anything a man can do, there is no difference. That’s why we must put on a pedestal and treat as a goddess every woman who accomplishes ¼ of what a man does”
This however firmly does.

She's accomplished far more than the majority of men in sim-racing have, let alone a 1/4 of what a man does, and that's despite the glass ceiling that very much exists. So don't worry, your misogyny is being telegraphed loud and clear.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back