3D Modelling, Post your 3D models! (Cars, Planes, People, Landscapes etc!)

Sorry for spamming, but it was so fun modelling furniture that I couldn't stop :P

lighthouse_edit_3.png

And next to mirror, by the floor, you can spot the most overdone detail: A Schutzkontakt power socket. I enjoyed modelling it, but you can barely see it in the full scene, so it was a bit of a waste of polygons. Below is a closer look at the model.

schuko.png

D9BDE4F1-C410-45BF-A4BA-E227CA77CDF3.png

Added some details. I tried to make a powdered sugar effect with particle simulation, but there is a bug in Blender where it doesn’t render dead particles. Apparently it’s been around since 2.80...

Wow... good job, eran0004! I sort have gotten back in the mood for 3D modeling, especially in Blender, and especially to practice some new modeling techniques I have learned lately. Perhaps I'll share my work if/when I complete that work...

A3FE1072-924B-4504-B367-A7D18DFEC812.jpeg

Not exactly 3D-printing, but fun anyway :D

The ground was quite a challenge to assemble, but it came together nicely in the end. The lighthouse itself is surprisingly straight given that it’s mostly made out of cookie.

Decorations will be done tomorrow.

I don't have any pictures to share with this post. What I wanted to touch up on, though, was that I have been somewhat intrigued and tempted to try to properly develop a proper character or vehicle. I have no interest at present to develop anything hyper-realistic. I also don't have much interest trying to re-create any real machines. However, I feel like I could probably spend more time perfecting 3D models and making them better than high-quality low-poly models. One of the reasons why I avoid this is because I mainly think of game-ready models along with trying to make material to the best of my ability. So I don't think about modeling with a huge amount of polygons. I do, though, take note of things to try to make better quality material. Some people even subdivide models to increase the polygon count. You have to model things to meet whatever application(s) the models are intended for.

I been trying to get back into making things with Blender. While Wings3D is what I am more comfortable with, more people use and utilize Blender better than almost any of the top tier 3D modelers (3D Studio Max, Maya, Cinema 4D, etc.). I mostly have been looking at techniques on how to model vehicles. I have designed 3D models of vehicles before. I even shared a few of my work in my social media and here on GTPlanet. However, I saw techniques of how certain cars are modeled. One thing I never really thought of was simply making separate objects and then combining everything. For example, you may want to separate the front bumper of a car to design various pieces independently and then put everything back with the main chassis of a car. Another example is to simply model out side view mirrors and then attach them to the car. Even looking at car models for games like rFactor and Assetto Corsa, a lot of cars have many objects put together (including a collision mesh) to form a car. Part of my recent vehicle modeling interests comes from playing "Automation: The Car Tycoon Game" as well as "Rigs of Rods" and "BeamNG.drive."

I just wanted to express these things just to show I've had abounding interest in 3D modeling as well as looking to some interesting projects to try to push my skills and techniques further. I always say I don't add more detail to models simply because I am not as skilled at 3D models. Do you realize it took me nearly 20 years of my life to develop my first 3D model I was actually proud of creating? Appreciate some of the 3D modelers who actually showcase the geometry of their models. They will give you some ideas as to how to model certain things. Take concepts without blatantly copying others. Maybe I could model things as beautifully as that GTPlanet article years ago that shown off a beautifully-modeled Koenigsegg. It's all about practice and improving techniques.

This picture has nothing to do with this post you just read, but it is one of my latest 3D works. I finally got around last year to offering my voxel vehicles to the general audience. I took 19 of my models and put them all together into one package. Some people have used some of my voxel material to develop games. Someone even E-Mailed me showing the credits screen with my name included as one developer was completing a game. I want to be able to continue to provide quality material. My compilation of voxel vehicles is in the picture below. More info on these items are in the links below the image:

basicvoxelvehiclepreview-full_orig.png

More information:
* Basic Voxel Vehicle Pack (blog post)
* Basic Voxel Vehicle Pack

Thanks for reading! :)

It's a start, but a start nonetheless. For the first time ever, I attempted to model a motorcycle. I practiced making a basic silhouette of a sport bike using a combination of subdividing faces and some extrusions. I modeled this motorcycle using the Suzuki GS500 (later learned it was the Suzuki GS500F) as my base. This model is basically modeling practice for now. Don't expect this to become anything:

motorcyclepractice-full2_orig.jpg

(More of my 3D work: https://johnmarinedesigns.weebly.com/3d-modeling.html )

I started stepping up efforts to learn Blender in hopes of getting back into offering my 3D work to various sites. This even includes trying to make material for use in game engines and various games. I have alternated a lot between modeling vehicles, modeling characters, and even modeling locations. So I try to keep myself engaged and interested. Only problem is really trying to develop material I can be proud of.

Whoa! Nice to dig up this old thread!

Earlier in this thread, I shown off my voxel vehicles. A potential project I am working on is in trying to make more fleshed-out 3D versions of my voxel creations with many different details. I don't think I am ready for anything that can be rendered beautifully in Cycles (for you Blender users) yet. But for now, I did have some fun trying to make as best a model as I can. So check it...

veh000-suv-wip-ig_orig.jpg

A lot of the topology is not to my liking. I have somewhat funky results with the windshield and some of the window detail, for example. The wheels and side mirrors (only one is there to later be merged with the Mirror modifier) are separate objects. There are no plans for me at present to make any kind of interior or add various minor details. Though, I have entertained the thought of making certain objects to suit things like game engines- such as headlights and tail lights. I just don't have the patience or skill to effectively make such details.

I am basically re-learning Blender right now. Just trying to re-learn Blender aside from when I was making models mostly with Wings3D.

This compact sports coupe model is one of my proudest Blender modeling jobs of late. It was supposed to be a practice in low polygon modeling; but I liked what I was modeling that I further developed it. No blueprints were used- this was all my imagination and with here-and-there-tweaking. What I consider my best accomplishment of this model is me modeling the tires and the wheels. The model is still relatively low polygon. The Mirror modifier and the Boolean modifier in Blender were key in completing this car model. So what was supposed to be low-polygon practice ended up with this relatively still low polygon model:

compactcoupe-draft_orig.jpg

This is only a draft, but here are the stats: 2,490 vertices, 1,878 faces, 4,848 triangles. Funny enough, I am starting a feel a bit more confident in making more detailed models. It doesn't really take much to make more detailed 3D models. You just have to practice and apply various techniques to properly develop more advanced models. Like recently, I imagined 3D modeling a more intricate automobile by simply making extra objects, pairing them together, and coming up with something I thought I would never create in all the years I attempted to make 3D models. I even imagined I developed an interior for the car I developed in this post. Part of the modeling process was in cleaning some of the vertices and edges that unnecessarily added to the vertices, edges, and faces count.

In case you're wondering, I am open to try to develop 3D models to be used in game engines like Unity3D, Godot, or any other game engines. So there's a chance I may try to test out my models for Godot and Unity3D. I'd say Unreal Engine as well, but I've had trouble trying to open Unreal Engine; so anyone who may develop for that engine is sadly on their own. I even entertained the thought of importing my models into games. At least with automobiles, I have looked at modeling content for GTR2, rFactor 1, and possibly even Assetto Corsa. I still have no interest in trying to accurately re-create real vehicles or even make proper re-creations of real vehicles as of yet.

Newfound confidence in 3D modeling is what I am developing and having as of late. I don't seem as scared or incapable to 3D model as I used to be. The only obstacle for me is to actually develop something I actually like and be able to work on it further. Everyone should try to learn new 3D modeling techniques, practice those 3D techniques, and try to put together solid 3D models using your skill and imagination. You too can be a 3D modeling boss! :)

Hi guys, I will soon be rendering pictures of our new pedals, but I'm having slight problems with rendering scene / something. Is there a good tutorial how to import 3d models to Blender so that they are in right scale and etc. I tried, but the render is showing up just as a black screen.. Once I get the model 100% ready I will get back to this but for now I'd like to hear if you know some good starting points / guides etc, anything that could help. Thanks. :cheers:

Hi guys, I will soon be rendering pictures of our new pedals, but I'm having slight problems with rendering scene / something. Is there a good tutorial how to import 3d models to Blender so that they are in right scale and etc. I tried, but the render is showing up just as a black screen.. Once I get the model 100% ready I will get back to this but for now I'd like to hear if you know some good starting points / guides etc, anything that could help. Thanks. :cheers:

I haven't done much importing, but check that you have a light source in the scene.

It's a start, but a start nonetheless. For the first time ever, I attempted to model a motorcycle. I practiced making a basic silhouette of a sport bike using a combination of subdividing faces and some extrusions. I modeled this motorcycle using the Suzuki GS500 (later learned it was the Suzuki GS500F) as my base. This model is basically modeling practice for now. Don't expect this to become anything:

motorcyclepractice-full2_orig.jpg

I started stepping up efforts to learn Blender in hopes of getting back into offering my 3D work to various sites. This even includes trying to make material for use in game engines and various games. I have alternated a lot between modeling vehicles, modeling characters, and even modeling locations. So I try to keep myself engaged and interested. Only problem is really trying to develop material I can be proud of.

Whoa! Nice to dig up this old thread!

I'm a huge Assetto Corsa user and following the GTP Assetto Corsa Mods Thread right now. As an avid Motorcyclist my entire life I have been thinking that it might be possible to model a motorcycle and get it to function in Assetto Corsa. The hardcore AC users have said it's not possible, but I suspect with some creativity you could potentially get it to work. I have seen some ridiculous objects converted into AC....LOL. Would you be willing to present this model in that thread and ask if someone would like to attempt to use it "as a LOD" within the existing physics of a modded car?

I'm a huge Assetto Corsa user and following the GTP Assetto Corsa Mods Thread right now. As an avid Motorcyclist my entire life I have been thinking that it might be possible to model a motorcycle and get it to function in Assetto Corsa. The hardcore AC users have said it's not possible, but I suspect with some creativity you could potentially get it to work. I have seen some ridiculous objects converted into AC....LOL. Would you be willing to present this model in that thread and ask if someone would like to attempt to use it "as a LOD" within the existing physics of a modded car?

Per your request, I added a post in the Assetto Corsa mods thread. I actually absolutely was not expecting a basic WIP piece to manifest into a potential project for a game mod. So I added my input as well as discuss some extra Assetto Corsa stuff.

I have been watching some videos online of time lapses of car modeling. I actually feel like I can actually create a lot of the models by just implementing certain techniques. I have been so fixated on trying to model everything into one piece. However, and as I learned through seeing models for GTR2 and Assetto Corsa, cars are comprised of many individual objects. So I have to try to learn and master breaking up my models into pieces and try to flesh out as many details as possible. For example, I could separate the area of a car where the headlights are and independently flesh them out to have immaculate detail before applying it to my models. What I probably fear most is feeling like I haven't modeled anything completely to where I may have issues trying to line up individually-modeled details to the base model I am creating. I am also fearful of having some nightmares of poor topology trying to clean everything up. I guess this is part of my maturation with 3D modeling.

Fantastic, thank you. I am a solidworks user thru my job, but by no means a SW superuser. I wish I had the time to learn blender or any mesh modeler, but at this point I am just enjoying seeing others apply those softwares to AC. Thank you again!

villa1.png

I started on a new architectural project in Blender.

Edit: The foundation is done and I have started building the walls of the first floor. It's a mix of concrete and wood. Modeled a quick and dirty generic car to have something in the garage.

villa1.png

Last edited:
I started over, because it turned out to be pretty difficult to improvise all the measurements and make it look good. So I made some floor plans in AutoCad and then started on a new Blender model.

villa_5st_floor.png

The first floor is mostly done, just doors and the outer layer of the walls missing. The second floor is starting to take shape.

I was recently denied trying to apply for Blender Market to sell Blender models of mine. I was suggested to get more Blender experience and try to do things like improve my 3D modeling techniques, practice UV mapping, try better lighting techniques, and more. I do admit I need to get better with Blender. Despite this, I am becoming less intimidated by Blender and simply need more experience trying to confidently model in Blender.

Long before this, though, I tried to develop a makeshift 3D race track to potentially make into a track for a 3D racing game. It may also be implemented into a proper game engine. Years ago, I had announced having interest in making a track for rFactor. I did not know how to try to model a track. It was something I never done before, at least trying to make a practical one that can be used in a game. So one method I tried to implement was design a small-scale model and then scale it up considerably to something close that could be implemented into a game. I began with a flat mesh plane at the regular 2x2 Blender unit size and then scale up the road by about 12 times. I then made one cube and perform loop cuts and extrusions to resemble a garage. That cube was scaled up to simulate a track with multiple garages and pit stalls. Finally, I took another cube and made it into a makeshift car. I did NOT scale this cube, though. What I did do to it was give it two spot lamps to simulate headlights. The sum of all of my work is expressed in this design study I did:

racescene-prototype_orig.jpg

* More of my 3D modeling work

Something else I did that isn't pictured here was practice making a skydome. Because the scene was small, I made sure the skydome wasn't massive. I still feel I have to practice this more especially as I've looked at how tracks look like when using 3DSimEd. I also should make a habit of trying to set my measurements to meters for when making 3D vehicles or 3D locations. Assetto Corsa, for example, prefers you make your models measured in meters.

I am still mostly in the process of practicing techniques rather than making full-blown models. That practice even has come down to learning how official vehicles and official locations from games are made. As I exported things using 3DSimEd, I found out things like object meshes for track objects and any associated materials used. I also saw how vehicles were made. GTR2 and rFactor models seemed somewhat simple with cars and tracks. Assetto Corsa, on the other hand, is much more advanced. Everything from the chassis down to the different internals and even the frame have been modeled to pure precision for vehicles. I have not studied an Assetto Corsa track, but I did see how some of the showrooms were built.

The majority of this post seems like it could be for any specific game thread or forum, but this could apply to almost any 3D game to where I am posting my work here. Time to get back to improving my 3D skills...

A6A9C63E-ADD0-45B5-B832-DEA8F979850F.png

2DDDDB88-D927-41DD-AEA7-8F6D62AD26B1.png 192695D6-A14B-4B1D-9617-3E67A072EF8B.png 9805E508-434C-4953-9A2B-2141DDDC5998.png

The house is progressing nicely. The roof was very time-consuming to model, because there is a small slope to it (just over 1%) in order to make rainwater flow towards one of the edges. The idea is that when it’s raining heavily it’s going to create a waterfall by the window.

Unfortunately Blender is rather lacking when it comes to cad-style modelling, so although the geometry of the roof is rather simple, the fact that it’s not 100% level means that most of the tools are useless.

Last edited:
You've done a great house job here! I actually entertained the thought of developing buildings or an interior of a building. Keep up the good work!

This is not a post of any 3D models I been trying to develop, but I feel if I am to use any Blender 2.8, I found 2.80 to work best for my PC. Any Blender 2.81 or after will warn me that my Intel HD graphics may still work but not work as efficiently. I still need to accustom myself to 2.8 Blender. I still mostly use 2.79b not only because it works best for me, but also for the now-defunct Blender Game Engine (BGE). I am aware that there has long been the UPBGE that has been the spiritual successor of the Blender Game Engine.

As I mentioned earlier, though, I am still learning Blender and haven't really designed anything really worthy of showcasing to the masses. I keep my own YouTube playlist featuring as many different 3D tutorials and examples to try to improve my techniques. Never stop learning!

The time has come for the grand reveal of what's probably not going to be my next business venture! I give you the SNEEZECUBE® - Sneezing In Style!

sneezecube_broschyr.png
sneezecube14.png

sneezecube13.png

The model was made in Blender. The screen wiper was based on a headlight wiper from an old and rusty Lada and is probably the most detailed part of this model.

An entirely different style of modelling: a house I'm making in Revit for a university project. It took some time getting used to the workflow after dealing with vertices, edges and faces in Blender (in Revit you basically draw shapes and building components), but now that I figured out how it works I kind of like it. It's a lot faster than Blender, especially if you want to make changes to the design. The drawback is that you don't always have full control of what is happening, it's often some algorithm that decides how some walls are going to join or which part of the wall you're allowed to attach to the roof and it can be frustrating when you don't know why something doesn't work. It can also be tricky to model things that doesn't come with the program by default, such as the chimney on this house.

Skärmbild (989).png

The renders look far from photorealistic, even though there is a primitive raytracing option. But the program is intended for making blueprints and floor plans so photorealism isn't really important.

Sometimes, it is best you stick to what you know instead of trying to be the best at everything. So I returned to MagicaVoxel voxel modeling. The latest build of MagicaVoxel has a host of changes from past builds. Most importantly, dimensions for models has gone from a cap of 126³ dimensions to 256³ dimensions. I have somewhat been interested in creating something for either voxel RPGs, voxel adventure games, or voxel city simulation. Here are some of the models I have created.

church000_orig.png

An old church house.

school000_orig.png

An old school house.

house000_orig.png

An old, low-density house.

house001_orig.png

A suburban, middle-density house.

(all of my general artwork, including voxel models)

All voxel models were made and rendered in MagicaVoxel. One thing I am realizing about 3D modeling is that you can make your models as small or as big as you would like. All you need to consider is making things at the appropriate scale for whatever projects you are working on. For example, you may make a vastly detailed and large model, only to be scaled down to fit the proper dimensions for a game. I was thinking small scale for something I've seen similar to the "RPG in a Box" package for the Godot Game Engine. I may even think about doing some somewhat smaller voxel models for a more consistent voxel-style city simulation in the vein of games like the SimCity series (especially the classic SimCity titles).

This is not a game development thread (do we even have one on GTP?), but I was even thinking of developing voxel assets for various styles of games. I had dungeon-type games in mind also for developing certain voxel assets. I may even make a voxel version of my block-breaking game assets I released elsewhere online. So I'll be fairly busy trying as many different concepts as I can. Stay tuned!

3AC5314C-5DCC-4368-A828-D092D7228DD3.jpeg

The ray tracing in Revit isn’t too bad actually. It produces pretty smooth images and a lot faster than Blender. Unlike Blender it’s also capable* of interior renders.

(* Blender is also capable of interior renders, but it’s quite complicated to set it up.)

It can also be tricky to model things that doesn't come with the program by default, such as the chimney on this house.
I'm hoping things have changed in the last 10-ish years since I've used Revit but when we had some Autodesk people come to do some training, we asked them how we could do track lighting. The best they could come up with at the time?

Flat stair handrails and balusters with electrical connections. :lol:

It seemed like Architects loved it because of what they were able to do with it but the electrical side felt like a complete afterthought.

Back