3D Modelling, Post your 3D models! (Cars, Planes, People, Landscapes etc!)

Do you have a screenshot of the model and what you want to do?
Ha, I rage quite the model I was working on. Had a beer and figured it out. I stand by my frustration though!

I figured out what the equivalent of the old push/pull in SU was, or at least close enough for my purposes... selecting Dissolve Orthogonal Edges on the Extrusion tool.

1645482519356.png

The second issue was embarrassingly simple. I couldn't get (the equivalent of) these to vertices to snap...

1645482440878.png

Turned out, that although I'd be messing around with these...

1645483116528.png

I'd not actually turned snapping on...

Season 3 Wall GIF by The Simpsons

Thanks anyway!

I recently picked up Metasequoia 4. I still have much to learn, but Metasequoia doesn't fight me every step of the way like Blender does. Instead, it builds on my experience from Wings3D.

I'm determined to get Blender to work for me. The workflow behind texturing was always too daunting for me, but I think I'm ready to tackle it now... it's just so frustrating when I then trip up creating simple meshes, which was a simple and intuitive task in Sketchup (before SU got taken over).

I need to make a lot of buildings for a Cities:Skylines project, around 100 I'd reckon. Given half of them will be variations of the same few housing styles, it's not as bad as it sounds - and very little of it is architecturally complex - but I need this stuff to become muscle-memory to have any hope of completing the project.

I find that the most time consuming part is to create the actual textures, especially if you need to be able to tile the textures without visible seams or repeating patterns. But it’s also the most fun part, because that’s when the model starts coming to life :)

I find that the most time consuming part is to create the actual textures, especially if you need to be able to tile the textures without visible seams or repeating patterns. But it’s also the most fun part, because that’s when the model starts coming to life :)

Getting the work flow right for getting the diffuse, normal, specular, alpha, lighting etc. etc. right seems like a bit of a headache, but at least it's all tools I familiar with in PS. I need to experiment with how I'm going to do it, but I've assumed I'll be able to get most textures online as a fall-back, and since the buildings I'm modelling are my local town, I can even look at taking photos for some of the trickier stuff. The model I'm starting with only really needs 2 brick textures, and a roof tile texture. I'd be curious to see your texture maps for the Fish Market as a starting point.

I've just remembered. I ******* hate Blender.

Why is something that's so easy to do in SketchUp seemingly impossible in Blender?!!!zzxx!2!OMFFFG.

If I want to snap the mid-point of one edge, to the mid point of another, is it possible? If I want to extrude a face (not scale), without creating a new set of vertices and lines, is it possible (like, I'm making wooden house trusses and I need to make one of the beams longer)?
With no experience of those specific programs, I think they are different in concepts. I use SolidWorks - great for manufacturing, but useless for modelling assets within games and animations for example.

With no experience of those specific programs, I think they are different in concepts. I use SolidWorks - great for manufacturing, but useless for modelling assets within games and animations for example.
Yeah, early Sketchup was more about quick and easy architectural modelling, it had a couple of major limitations but it was a fantastic starting point for noobs. Blender is at a level where Pixar's head scientist say there's not much it can't do compared to their in house software for making actual blockbuster films. Though blender is far above the level I need for the game assets I want to make, I think it's a great tool to learn.

Haven't used Solid Works. I did receive a copy at work, but I don't think it would install on my PC at the time. Rhino3D is the only other package I've had to use, that seems popular in automotive.

It's really cool this whole 3D modelling thing but I struggled for many months with an outdated version of blender. There was indeed some fun but the frustrations with it were great. It's great.

Not a work day goes by where I do not have some kind of frustration with SolidWorks! 😅 And it is normally some kind of unique problem you come across as well and have no explanation for why it has done it. Today a sketch couldn't work out what face it was supposed to be drawn on! 😂

I still use Blender 2.79b because it is the version I am most accustomed to, and it is also the best version of Blender which still works best for me. I also use it because of the Blender Game Engine, for which I could prototype game ideas if I so choose. I decided to 3D model again by trying to develop my first track for Assetto Corsa. My creations are going to be nowhere near the immensely-detailed locations of Assetto Corsa, but it will be one of my best attempts to try to bring a Blender creation to a game I can barely play on my PC. Since I don't have anything made for Assetto Corsa at present, this is not an AC post.

I bought a Creality Ender 3 S1 Pro, as my first 3D printer. It showed up last Monday, so I’ve been printing some medallion sized stuff over the past few days, getting a feel for everything. Today wanted to do something I can use, and decided to make a Gameboy cartridge holder, for some of my games.

C39A12B3-CC44-47BB-AA58-8FD9834F0451.jpeg

253D82B2-F157-4891-AA42-1EB98DC0FB5D.jpeg

819CA30C-7809-4B0C-B0E0-D2C5D797CDFA.jpeg

For the longest, I have been trying to develop a simple human model. I have drawn my inspiration from certain human models. I looked to Minecraft, Survivalcraft, and ROBLOX. The goal is to develop a model that can hopefully allow me to make a handful of low-polygon models. I am not going to develop the most realistic material. However, I do want to make detailed enough material that doesn't seem overly generic. I could just offer a single model and then play around with the topology to make different style models. Here is my latest run in my recent run of 3D modeling a simple human:

simplehuman6-wip_orig.jpg

More of my 3D Modeling work

Here was a model I made previously:

simplehuman-wip_orig.jpg

More of my 3D Modeling work

Other inspirations for my model are "Goldeneye" on Nintendo 64 and the original "Tomb Raider." I did not know how to properly model a hand, so I took no chances trying to make something decent for a hand. I instead used the simple hands in "Goldeneye" and the first "Tomb Raider."

Besides trying to model in Blender, I am now realizing that I can develop parts individually and then weld them together when I feel I have a completed model. This knowledge is also going to help me in trying to develop 3D models for vehicles and also some race tracks. I had development of race tracks in mind for certain games. I even thought about Assetto Corsa for testing. I also was looking more for GTR2 and rFactor 1 for testing as well.

I could not think of any games I have where I can test my character models. I haven't really learned or mastered how to implement 3D models into games yet. Most of the games I have is what many would consider obsolete or old. This is mostly a reason why my development of content can be rather slow. Once I figure it all out, I'll be quite the busy bee at content creation.

Lately, I have been playing with trying to make things to scale. I practiced this in Blender by making a rudimentary drag strip. I was inspired by the Gran Turismo series with the 0-400m competitions and the 0-400m speed tests. Because I had Assetto Corsa in mind, I put the measurements in meters. Regardless of the actual size of your meshes, you can set the Unit Scale to properly represent the actual real-size scale of models.

For example, if one edge is measured at 10m, you can adjust the Unit Scale to properly represent the proper measurements. So setting the Unit Scale from 1.000000 to 10.000000 will make the proper measurement of 100m. The model you're working on may be adjusted automatically to meet the newer unit scale changes. As I am trying to build modern versions of race tracks I made for other games, I am thinking about the realistic scale of what I created. I am thinking about what would be the proper scale for which to make these courses.

I kind of found a way to envision the proper scale and length of courses. Here is my workflow. What I've done was make an edge loop to use in trying to map out the center of the track. I then take that center line and Separate it as its own object. I then scale it on the X or Y and press 0 to flatten it. I later dissolve vertices to where it is just one straight line. That is where I get an idea of how long my course is. Afterwards, I may adjust the Unit Scale to determine the proper scale I want to set the course at. I am not re-creating any real world track.

I have nothing to share as of yet, but I wanted to share my mind on my latest 3D adventures.

The old Spitfire is coming along nicely. Since it's intended for Cities:Skylines, it's fairly low poly, less than 2000 tris, but I'm using smooth shading to make it look like it's higher resolution. The camouflage was painted directly in Blender, which was kind of necessary in order to make all the edges line up.

spitfire_render_01.png

I started over with the UV's and the textures, because I noticed that the "Smart UV" unwrapping distorted the projection asymmetrically. So instead I did a "project from view" from the top, bottom, left and right and just quickly copy-pasted in the paint scheme from a scale model kit. It doesn't match up perfectly yet, but it looks pretty good from a quick glance.

spitfire_render_02.png

So wierd that SMCars is dead since earlier this year. It was the best site for blueprints for anything until 2010s. Other sites just lack content and blueprints are in lower quality.

SMCars has been pretty much dead for a long time, I did a project on there like four years ago and it was basically a ghost town filled with spam. But yeah, great blueprints resource and some amazing work was being done on there in it's prime. RIP.

SMCars has been pretty much dead for a long time, I did a project on there like four years ago and it was basically a ghost town filled with spam. But yeah, great blueprints resource and some amazing work was being done on there in it's prime. RIP.

SMCars still had new uploads until end. Still, over the years I think it will be eclipsed. But I miss browsing it. One of most generous websites I ever used

EDIT: Nevermind, I found Tinkercad and fumbled my way to building what I need. :)

Jerome

Last edited:
I learned some techniques on making 3D-style 2D. What I was going for was more like a drawing, not so much like flat-shaded 2D. So I took some advice from some YouTube videos. I ended up creating a model that I wanted to test the waters of pre-rendered 3D. My test effort:

cartoonshading_orig.jpg

(More of my 3D Modeling portfolio)

In addition to 3D modeling, I wanted to make this an attempt at learning inverse kinematics (IK) 3D animating. If you are familiar with 3D animation, IK can make animating 3D models much easier. There are a bunch of outlines on certain parts of the body because the model is almost entirely made out of loose parts. The only non-loose parts of this model is the torso. This is all one object but broken up into loose parts. I surrounded the model with four lamps in front of, behind, and on the sides of this model. The semi-inspiration behind this is in older 3D models from 3D games mostly in the mid and late 1990s. Using loose parts modeling made automatic weight painting in Blender easier. Even if makes the model doesn't seem like one complete mesh, it is easier on me for modeling. I am also just not a detailed and decorated 3D modeler.

By learning some more techniques from YouTube videos, I may attempt to design my most detailed humanoid models yet. My goal is not outright realism. What I did discover is some methods using either a subdivided cube or with spheres to develop a human model. Once I practice and perfect this, it may be possible I design my most realistic human models. If I develop something interesting, I will surely share here and across social media.

This is a bit of a tangent, but I decided to play around with quickly modeling a very rudimentary scene in Blender then passing it through Stable Diffusion (one of the AI art thingies that's all the rage) to make it more detailed/realistic... this is what I got:

O5dquXk.png

(Left is my original render, right is what Stable Diffusion turned it into)

Last edited:
I embellished my original render a bit...

sOuXDhj.png

With my base render being more sufficiently detailed, I was able to run it through Stable Diffusion with a stricter strength setting to keep its output closer to the original render. Generating about a dozen different versions, these three were the best of the bunch:

RGQLfWh.png

6yB3KMW.png

4M6L18C.png

I 3D modeled my first realistic foot! I followed a tutorial from PIXXO 3D on YouTube as best as I could. Realism is not my forte. However, I needed some experience at some realistic modeling, and here is one of my best 3D modeling efforts.

pixxo3dfoottut_orig.jpg

(More of my 3D modeling work)

Realistic models are not going to be the standard for me. I'm just thankful I was able to gain some perspective in more realistic 3D modeling. I don't plan on developing this further into a full-fledged character. My model seemed pretty wonky as I was slowly developing it from the tutorial. As time went on, I made a model I was proud of by simply following a tutorial online.

Last edited:
I 3D modeled my first realistic foot! I followed a tutorial from PIXXO 3D on YouTube as best as I could. Realism is not my forte. However, I needed some experience at some realistic modeling, and here is one of my best 3D modeling efforts.

pixxo3dfoottut_orig.jpg

(More of my 3D modeling work)

Realistic models are not going to be the standard for me. I'm just thankful I was able to gain some perspective in more realistic 3D modeling. I don't plan on developing this further into a full-fledged character. My model seemed pretty wonky as I was slowly developing it from the tutorial. As time went on, I made a model I was proud of by simply following a tutorial online.

One small step for man, one giant leap for @JohnBM01 :cheers:

Back