3D3 Racing: WRS-based races moved to new WRS sub-forum!

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 2,120 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
We just might have to make the EU timeslot a permanent fixture anyway, might as well start this week :cool:

I added the EU racing slot information to the main event post. Both a separate timing section and driver registration section. I can also maintain the drivers list there if you want as I'll be following thread anyway... but for specific timing/logistics EU drivers should coordinate with Hydro as he'll be the host of that event and any related practice sessions. 👍

With the new official EU slot you should post a message in the related WRS thread so nobody misses it.

I added the EU racing slot information to the main event post. Both a separate timing section and driver registration section. I can also maintain the drivers list there if you want as I'll be following thread anyway... but for specific timing/logistics EU drivers should coordinate with Hydro as he'll be the host of that event and any related practice sessions. 👍

With the new official EU slot you should post a message in the related WRS thread so nobody misses it.

Thanks Tim, and will do 👍

European Race Slot
Qualification: Wednesday October 5, 7:00 PM GMT (30 minute session)
Race Start: Wednesday October 5, 7:30 PM GMT
Race End: After 26 laps (incl. 1 formation lap). Target race duration of approximately 60 minutes.

Don't if I can make those timings or maybe just
You can put me in both slots. I'll see what I can arrange with the missis ;)

Don't if I can make those timings or maybe just
You can put me in both slots. I'll see what I can arrange with the missis ;)

@Speedy: I put you on both lists. With the smaller EU field (at least so far) qualifying up front is probably not as big of a deal... so if you can't make 7:00 PM GMT you can join the lounge and "Enter Course" just before 7:30 PM GMT and just start at the rear of the field.

@All: The NA slot has quite a few drivers already 👍 so it'll be a bit of a disadvantage to start at the back and muscle pass us slower guys... especially at Monaco. Should be a fun quali session though as it will be all out to get near the front.

@All: I'll copy this to my 'Stewards Notes' post tomorrow, but figured I'd give a heads up since I'm talking quali... the track is narrow so while we are in qualification mode (7:00-7:30) everyone needs to watch out for other traffic when not running a "hot" lap. i.e. if you are on a pit in/out lap or mess up a hot lap and slow down watch for others on their flying laps and give them plenty of room. There are sure to be a few hot laps messed up as there are parts of the track it's almost impossible to get out of the way, but definitely don't take any chances if you are on a "cold" lap and see another driver closing in. Watch the map before entering the hairpin section especially. If you are on your own "hot" lap there is NO requirement to pull over for a faster driver... you have a right to finish your own lap. This isn't F1 and Ferrari gets no special treatment here :lol:

There's a 30 minute quali session, only 10 drivers, and an almost 2 minute lap so everyone should get the chance/space for a few purple lap runs if everyone spreads out on the track. This car barely uses fuel so I don't think it'll be a case of everyone doing their best laps at the very end of quali with lower fuel weight which can be the the case with race cars. Strategic position during quali is part of a good overall race strategy.

Please sign me up for the EU race :)

The Mazda is still stock blue.

Thanks Hydro 👍

If any drivers are interested in the Euro Time slot, I can host again this week at 3 PM EDT (7 PM GMT), Wednesday Oct 5 (same day as the regular event).
Please reply to the post if you are interested.
I would be interested as well.

Remember that I'm driving with the controller and I'm not very fast with it, so well.... please don't judge on my driving to soon.:lol:
I'm still learning how to drive properly with the controller. I'll just try to drive cleanly. See you then.:)

Please sign me up for the EU race :) The Mazda is still stock blue.
I would be interested as well...

👍 You are both added to the list.

@w-g-e, NINE_HUNDRED, MadMax: Pick a car color that's not already taken in your time slot(s).

Last edited:
Nice to see things building up so suddenly 👍
Looking forward to it!

Looking at the timing, this *seems* like it won't be an issue for either timeslot, it should be completed well before we start:

Maintenance Notice for October 5th
http://eu.gran-turismo.com/gb/news/d34316.html
The online service of Gran Turismo 5 will undergo maintenance during the following hours:

Start: 10/05/2011 07:00 BST
Finish: 10/05/2011 08:00 BST

During the maintenance, it will not be possible to connect to any of the online services.

*Please note that the exact times of the maintenance may slightly vary.

EDIT: I don't see anything about it on the US GT site, though...

Looking at the timing, this *seems* like it won't be an issue for either timeslot, it should be completed well before we start:

Maintenance Notice for October 5th

EDIT: I don't see anything about it on the US GT site, though...

Is 8:00 PM BST = 7:00 PM GMT? That's going to be cutting it close... it'll cut into quali so a small delay could still have the race startign at 7:30 PM GMT. Nice of them to post that with so much notice 👎

I might be able to skip my lunch and join the EU fun this week... I'll have to get started work a bit earlier than usual, but may be worth it... It'll be a "game time decision".

I'd read those times as morning time in the UK, since there's no am or pm mentioned.
Which would be a good number of hours before Hydro was going to start hosting.

I'd read those times as morning time in the UK, since there's no am or pm mentioned.
Which would be a good number of hours before Hydro was going to start hosting.

I just read the notice as well, and 07:00 is definitely AM.
Let's hope it's not an error :nervous:

The EU race list has certainly caught up fast 👍
Sweet!

EDIT - NA Maintenance notice
Again, it seems the update is between 02:00 - 03:00 EDT, which as written, is 2-3 AM.

Last edited:
My car is painted with "WR Blue Mica" and it's fitted with red/black center rims. (as they came , unpainted)

By the way , thanks for the trophy. (prize for Gettin' Groceries online race)

MadMax

I guess after seeing my WRS finish my setup blowzz, so I'll be looking for some online magic to trim out my pile with :(

I guess after seeing my WRS finish my setup blowzz, so I'll be looking for some online magic to trim out my pile with :(

I'm going to totally disagree with you Lefty,
I actually told Tim and Lucas via PM that I'd be amazed if Lefty can keep his pace through T3 with an Auto transmission, which has nothing to do with your car setup.
That was a tight week for a track that can have so many different spots to lose a tenth or so.
Great driving by everyone 👍

My lounge is open for "Cruisin' Monaco" practice. Come One, Come All... I'll be away for a while, but will jump on as soon as possible.

Don't forget you can remove that nasty ballast now.

In case any of you missed it in the WRS results thread, here's the setup MadMax used with one online change. He was scary fast in the practice/test session (I don't remember exactly, but I think a 1'53.XXX -- right Marc?)

Mazda Eunos Roadster (NA Special Package) '89 / Côte d'Azur (Seasonal TT19)

Preparations , all power mods installed and weight reductions done + rollcage fitted.

250 BHP 1000kg 456PP

Ballast
169kg , position 50

Transmission (move final gear to 5.500 and max speed 180 km/h / all the way to left)
F5.000

LSD 11/13/17

suspension
0/-10
15.0/8.6
3/7
4/3
7/1

1.8/1.5
-0.05/-0.05

brakes 8/6

N3 tyres

Active Steering strong

ABS3

Note: For 3D3 Race , transmission / Final gear setting 4.900 and all ballast off

Last edited:
I didn't want to whine in the WRS thread so I'll do it here. :P (Take no offense, Pekka)

I don't like Active Steering. I have no problem with others using it (but it's a little annoying if that alone makes you faster, doubt that's the case though), but every time I've tried it with the wheel, it just ruins the feel of the car for me. With the DS3 it's less noticable, IMO.

I tried it for a few laps last week, after seeing Pekka's tune, and again reconfirmed that it's not for me.

/RANTOVER

EDIT: On a positive note, I'm really excited for Wed! 👍 Wish I could make both races, but most likely will only make the NA one.

EDIT2: Sweet! Kev's back for more!
|
|
V

Last edited:
I didn't want to whine in the WRS thread so I'll do it here. :P (Take no offense, Pekka)

I don't like Active Steering. I have no problem with others using it (but it's a little annoying if that alone makes you faster, doubt that's the case though), but every time I've tried it with the wheel, it just ruins the feel of the car for me. With the DS3 it's less noticable, IMO.

I tried it for a few laps last week, after seeing Pekka's tune, and again reconfirmed that it's not for me.

/RANTOVER

I'm the same way. To the point that if its use could be verified, I would not allow it in WRS. But we already have SRF to contend with, and other factors that I won't get into here in the open forums.

I would rather be a little bit slower with it turned off and enjoy driving the car. 👍

BTW, sign me up to drive in a Plum Crazy Mazda Roadster. Should be able to make this one.

Practice room for Crusin' Monaco will open today at 7:00 PM GMT (3 pm EDT / 12 pm PDT) in GTP_Hydro's 3D3 lounge.
I'll be in for a bit, but I'll leave it open for about 90 minutes.
I'll update the post when I'm online, and in the room 👍

Pekka would be fast even if he was forced to use a setting that was called "Sluggish Steering" where the game actually tried to periodically ignore your steering inputs.

I would benefit from a "Sluggish Braking" assist so GT5 wouldn't always see my ram/pound inputs into the brake and accelerator controls. It's funny to watch my replays in data logger vs others... I have no subtlety in my feet at all.... strange because I'm such a damn good dancer :lol:

EDK
BTW, sign me up to drive in a Plum Crazy Mazda Roadster. Should be able to make this one.

Your in. 👍 The field is looking pretty good & strong this week. I may need to find a shortcut somewhere to finish in the top 5 this week... no hiding my lack of speed behind a tricky pit strategy.

One more question while we are at it. I was noticing in the GT5 maintenance garage you can change wheels and it says the wheels make the car perform better (not the exact language). Is that true? And if so is installing custom tires for premium cars against the rules for WRS? In any case, I didn't change tires this week so keep your paws off my first gold medal :lol:, but I plan to change them to something flashy for the 3D3 race so it'll look nice in the replays and pics.

Actually, the car will look horrible after the first couple laps anyway. I took it out for practice last night and after 15 laps of wall banging it looked like it drove threw a war zone. The pics from lap 25 are going to be a sight to see.

One more question while we are at it. I was noticing in the GT5 maintenance garage you can change wheels and it says the wheels make the car perform better (not the exact language). Is that true? And if so is installing custom tires for premium cars against the rules for WRS? In any case, I didn't change tires this week so keep your paws off my first gold medal :lol:, but I plan to change them to something flashy for the 3D3 race so it'll look nice in the replays and pics.

Actually, the car will look horrible after the first couple laps anyway. I took it out for practice last night and after 15 laps of wall banging it looked like it drove threw a war zone. The pics from lap 25 are going to be a sight to see.

I'm not aware of any correlation between replacement wheels and car performance.

We've allowed them in past WRS races (week 1 springs to mind).

And I'm not sure you'll have to worry about me in this week's race. I love the track, but I have about 10 laps on the combo. And that was with the full weight.

EDK
I'm not aware of any correlation between replacement wheels and car performance.

I didn't think so, but the actual quote in GT Auto is "Lightweight alloy wheels improve driving performance..."

GTP_Hydro's practice room is now open!
All are welcome.

After testing we're going to institute a last minute rule for the upcoming race @ Monaco:

• One pit stop required between lap 10 and 20

You can pit additional times if you want, but there must be one pit stop by every driver between the start of lap 10 (you can enter pit lane at the end of lap 9) and the end of lap 20 (you can enter pit lane at the end of lap 20).

It's pretty tough to pass another car and it's possible to make the race distance without any pit stops given the very slow tire wear (it gets slippery after about 20 laps, but it's manageable). This rule will give a way to pass a slightly slower driver by staggering pit strategy and running a fast in/out lap.

Also this will prevent everyone from running 25 laps on one set of tires and the potential carnage that could ensue on the final couple laps as people try to defend positions for the finish. At the end of the race people should be on at most 15 lap old tires which have a pretty decent grip.

Reminder: Whoever wins pole must review/remember the rules for the rolling start. You'll get the verbal clear signal from a steward when the final car clears the last corner on the formation lap and you *must* accelerate to race speed *before* the start/finish line. The exact moment is up to you, but if you fail to accelerate by the start/finish the field may/will pass you on the straight.

I don't think for a second wheels change performance at all in GT, but I will try to test it tonight guys, and let you know what I find.
The race I did having been on tuesday is screwing me up, please guys, if I'm on your PSN friends list and not in the race room tomorrow night, send me a message either PM here, or on PSN, or both, I look forward to thrashing the uber-Miata. :D

I don't think for a second wheels change performance at all in GT, but I will try to test it tonight guys, and let you know what I find.
The race I did having been on tuesday is screwing me up, please guys, if I'm on your PSN friends list and not in the race room tomorrow night, send me a message either PM here, or on PSN, or both, I look forward to thrashing the uber-Miata. :D

Don't worry, we have your back 👍 see you in Monaco :D

Re: wheels.
I have tried a few different sets on a Lotus 111R, and a Ferrari 458, and found no difference at all.
But if anyone has had a different experience, it would be great to hear what you think.
Realistically, that would be a programming nightmare for PD, so I've always assumed it was strictly cosmetic. Of course you know what they say about assuming....

Tomorrows race will be quite a test. I'm dying to get to it :D:tup:

Edit - My online tune.
It wound up a little farther from my WRS tune than I had thought, and 90% of the changes were made to keep the car more stable.
-16/-5
14.2/9.2
5/4
5/2
4/2

1.9/1.6
-0.10/-0.07

LSD 8/9/6

Chassis reinforcement installed.
HP 250. Weight 831 KG.
Transmission is basically MadMax's setup. Thanks Pekka!

Until the tires warm up, the rear slides a bit as you lift off the brake entering a turn.
I always thought raising the LSD for decel would help this, but I'm not sure anymore.
Sometimes it seems to make it worse, and I've only started to play with really low LSD settings lately, so the jury for me is still out. :confused:

Last edited:
Stewards Last Minute Notes/Reminders for Cruisin' Monaco Online:
(consider this your drivers meeting)

• CS tires take quite a while to warm up. In fact we had a hard timing warming them at all during the test formation lap. Be prepared to skate for the first lap and a half on new tires at the beginning of the race and after your pit.
  • Starting position will be pretty important this week thus qualifying is pretty key. Be aware of other cars on the track and their position during the qualification period 30 minutes prior to the race. If you are not on a hot lap try your best not to get in the way of another driver's hot lap.
  • We're going to require one pit stop this week and you can use it strategically to pass another driver or pack that may be holding you up.
  • The draft impact is quite minimal in this event. It may help you draw close to the driver in front, but will not be strong enough by itself to slingshot past. It's going to take a mistake or some pretty crafty driving to engineer a clean pass.
  • Because of the difficulty in passing it may be best early in the race to let a faster driver pass and follow in their slipstream rather than defend and go slower. If the driver behind gets significantly inside you going into a corner it's probably best to go a little wide and allow the pass. If you continually block it's likely they'll get less patient and you both may end up trying to fit in a place that only one can fit!
  • The room will be open early for practice. We'll reset the track at the start of quali so no laps done before the start of the quali session will count towards grid position. Once the official quali session begins remember that quali order does not always match the displayed order in the room. If someone leaves track they are taken off the board, but GT5 does remember their lap time for the starting grid.
  • We have a formation lap/rolling start just like last week so there will be 26 laps in the race with the first being the formation lap.
  • For the pit window please use the displayed lap (10-20) to determine your pit window. A steward will announce "pits open" and "pits closed" during the race.
  • Penalties don't do much to thwart cutting in the chicane at this track since they are almost never enforced. We'll be on the honor system mostly. Make a valid attempt every lap to be clean per WRS rules. Based on testing it can be difficult to see the chicane when following another car closely, and it's not a big deal if you cut the chicane slightly due to lack of visibility when it doesn't improve your position. But continually cutting the corner to shave time or maintain/close a gap would be considered cheating.
  • Have fun and enjoy the race. May your car not look like shrapnel after 25 laps!

Pencil me in for the EU session, in the stock Red. I'll see how I go with actually being awake and functional, but it'd be nice to try. I'll fling an FR just in case.

I expect to be passed/lapped a lot (particularly with the EU crowd listed!), so I'll just try to allow safe passes and follow faster drivers.

May your car not look like shrapnel after 25 laps!
[/LIST]

Good luck with that! :lol:

Thanks for the notes Tim 👍
I didn't realize until we practiced today, how tight this race is going to be.

I still think the shootout should be in the Sauber C-9 Mercedes : At Monaco! 💡 :D
If my hands still work :lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back