3D3 Racing: WRS-based races moved to new WRS sub-forum!

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 2,120 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
The EU time is correct 👍 Sign me up for it, I can tell I'll be on the grass more than the track during the race though :nervous:

The EU time is correct 👍 Sign me up for it, I can tell I'll be on the grass more than the track during the race though :nervous:

👍 We may switch over to Sports Soft (S3) tires... we haven't really tested it online yet... but EDK mentioned based on his WRS testing that switching tires might be something to consider for a race versus a time trial in addition to the online physics having less grip.

The spec 2 update and the timing may make it difficult to get it right for this event, but we'd probably be better to error on the side of more grip rather than too little.

Guilty as charged and here is your proof :)

2vuc5km.jpg

So how do I connect to my router?

Do connect directly w/ CAT5/6 and type some ping comand to the router at the C:>?

Doesn't an interfase come up or something like to communicate directly to the Router?

What will I have after the alteration for my other systems, are they as protected or do I have to switch it back inorder for my protection scheme to function at it's current state?

With the router set to Nat 1 and UPnP on should I have all my other systems off line so as to not leave them vulnerable while my connecton is at max game play?

I have a: Netgear WNR834B RangeMax Next Router

We should have a special "child of GTP_XXX" event. But LittleLefty will walk on the field in those events. Parents are allowed to run the gas/break with the DS3 if the child is under 10 years old, but the kid must run the wheel. :lol:

Totally cool idea and yes Little is too big :lol: but anyway everyone who has a little one should post a pic of them driving in there Halloween mask to keep there identity a secret just like "Racer X" :lol:

Last edited:
North American Race Slot
Host: GTP_Hydro's Private Lounge
Time: Wednesday, October 12 at 7:00 PM PDT (EDT = 10 PM, GMT = Oct 13 at 3 AM).

It is supposed to be 2AM GMT

Here some good sites for time converting
TimeZoneConverter
GMT and all others (this is no converter)

Just make sure for the TimeZoneConverter site (first link) you have this checked to calculate times in different zones

unled1lk.jpg

Last edited:
Guilty as charged and here is your proof :)

2vuc5km.jpg

So how do I connect to my router?

Do connect directly w/ CAT5/6 and type some ping comand to the router at the C:>?

Doesn't an interfase come up or something like to communicate directly to the Router?

What will I have after the alteration for my other systems, are they as protected or do I have to switch it back inorder for my protection scheme to function at it's current state?

With the router set to Nat 1 and UPnP on should I have all my other systems off line so as to not leave them vulnerable while my connecton is at max game play?

Lefty, that actually isn't a *bad* test result. With NAT 2 and UPnP "available" it really should be working. Question: Was that how you were set up last night or did you just change it? If you just updated something we may have already fixed it.

Note: If you have NAT 2 w/UPnP available it does not expose anything including the PS3 to outside threats. Only the DMZ setup with NAT 1 would do that and that would *only* be for the PS3 not the other devices on your network.

We are going to try some tests in Hydro's lounge as opposed to mine. If we can get a few usual suspects that have invisible driver issues to pop in real quick sometime over the next couple nights that might at least eliminate that variable. Say if we can get you and EDK or CSL to log in at the same time. If Hydro's lounge works then pop over to mine and see if the problem appears again. We can have Hydro host the events without a problem and we're planning to do that anyway for British Invasion. The next step after that is using a public room instead.

Another Question. You run other series right? Do you ever have these issues in those races? Either way, are those series run in public lobbies or private rooms?

Hopefully we'll get this figured out because it's the *only* blemish on an otherwise great series of races. It makes it quite difficult to get a good formation lap for sure although it doesn't ruin the actual racing as long as it's just a few drivers.

It's also possible Spec II will drop an update out of heaven and fix this. GT5 may not work properly with UPnP for certain routers. I've heard people complain about that before where other games work fine, but GT5 doesn't.

Those are the same settings that I ran last night, they are my current state.

Yah EDK was in another race and I couldn't see him then either.

Those are the same settings that I ran last night, they are my current state.

Yah EDK was in another race and I couldn't see him then either.

OK.. Hydro's lounge probably won't help (we'll still try). Let's see if we can set up DMZ and get you to NAT 1. What is the model of your router? i.e. where do you plug in the CAT5 going from your PS3. I assume all your other devices in the house go into this same router whether it's wired, wireless, or both. The goal would be to not impact those other devices at all.

Do you have a PC? You'll probably need a PC and browser to configure the router. Once you find the model of your router we can look online for how to set it up.

Also we will want to make sure your router has the latest firmware available for it. That in itself may fix the UPnP issue too. Much like updating the PS3, but it's not forced down your throat by the mfg.

If we can get you and EDK to see each other we'll know we fixed the issue... it's actually good in a way that it's consistent because then we know if we fixed it.

If we can get you fixed up it can be a model approach for others.

Odd, I didn't have the "Tiger Shark Stripes" option in my paint chips...
It's all about how you approach the wall-scraping on corner exits, you have to get the angle just right. Luckily I figured out how to do it the first lap of qualifying, you guys just need more practice I think. :sly:

(turn 1 is very good for this move)

I'm in for next week as well. Put me in the Green Jag.

And I will double check all my router stuff as well. I do connect via wireless, but my connection speed is Uber fast, and I rarely have issues.

Nearly positive I have UpNp enabled. So next step would be to consider DMZ. Does that work with a wireless connection to the router, or is that a very bad idea?

Actually I think the prime issue for both of us is speed, with mine being only slightly faster than Lefty's listed here. (1.1mb and 360kbps)

I have a Belkin router that might give me UPnP again, so I'll definitely try that, and I plan to get quicker internet in the upcoming weeks also.
But what I can say is in the other series I race in, the only connection issues I usually have are minor, unlike what I had last night. :(

Though another thing it may be, I've noticed if me and Lefty are in the same room, it's like a double whammy, maybe our crap internets combine for to much? "A hailstorm of slow internet"?:lol:
I will check in enabling UPnP through my currently unused Belkin router though guys, thanks for the tip, I know UPnP can be a big help.👍

EDIT: - EDK, if you have good internet it's probably not you, though it could be a firewall issue, if you're UPnP then it's 99.9% likely it's got nothing to do with you.👍

Nice work on the pics Hydro! 👍

Odd, I didn't have the "Tiger Shark Stripes" option in my paint chips...
It's all about how you approach the wall-scraping on corner exits, you have to get the angle just right. Luckily I figured out how to do it the first lap of qualifying, you guys just need more practice I think. :sly:
(turn 1 is very good for this move)

I LMAO'd when I saw the pic you guys are talking about :lol:

EDK
I'm in for next week as well. Put me in the Green Jag.

And I will double check all my router stuff as well. I do connect via wireless, but my connection speed is Uber fast, and I rarely have issues.

Nearly positive I have UpNp enabled. So next step would be to consider DMZ. Does that work with a wireless connection to the router, or is that a very bad idea?

Yes NAT 1/DMZ can also work over wireless, but your wifi router must support the feature and not all of them do. Basically you would have to specify which device in the internal network to "expose"... which is basically bypassing all the protection the router provides via it's firewall... but those same protections can protect you from seeing information from Lefty's game and visa versa.

UPnP is supposed to work around this by allowing GT5 to tell the router to open only the ports it needs on the firewall while running online (basically a limited dynamic DMZ). That way your PS3 is normally behind the firewall and only partially/minimally exposed when running an online race. Problem is some routers don't play nice with the PS3 and GT5 netcode doesn't seem to be especially good at working with some routers. That's why upgrading your router firmware could actually help if the firmware upgrades that side of the UPnP netcode so it starts playing nice with GT5.

Note: You definitely do not want to enable DMZ unless it can be set to be specific to ONE device only. You specify that DMZ device by IP address so you have to figure out which IP your PS3 is assigned by the router -- hopefully you can set that IP to be static or a reserved address so it doesn't change on you.

But what I can say is in the other series I race in, the only connection issues I usually have are minor, unlike what I had last night. :(

I think that major glitch last night was a one time glitch... we knew something was odd when the black screen after the race countdown took so long. The other races you did you were jittery, but only missed Lefty. I think that big issue was just an isolated incident and also had something to do with the screw up in grid order.

Actually I think the prime issue for both of us is speed, with mine being only slightly faster than Lefty's listed here. (1.1mb and 360kbps)

I have a Belkin router that might give me UPnP again, so I'll definitely try that, and I plan to get quicker internet in the upcoming weeks also.

Though another thing it may be, I've noticed if me and Lefty are in the same room, it's like a double whammy, maybe our crap internets combine for to much? "A hailstorm of slow internet"?:lol:
I will check in enabling UPnP through my currently unused Belkin router though guys, thanks for the tip, I know UPnP can be a big help.👍

EDIT: - EDK, if you have good internet it's probably not you, though it could be a firewall issue, if you're UPnP then it's 99.9% likely it's got nothing to do with you.👍

Just to throw in a bit more advice for now..
Most routers have a "Gaming Mode" option, or words to that effect.
It's usually on the same page as the Upnp settings.
Here's my router setup pic:
Router.png

Gaming mode allows for a quasi-Nat1 setup in that the router will not block incoming traffic from other gamers if it recognizes a game being played.
I had to switch mine to play COD back in the day, as these problems are not limited to GT5.
I'm on a NAT 1 connection for racing purposes, but for all other games, having Upnp, and Gaming mode enabled with a NAT2 connection works.

For the next race, I'll PM Lefty, CSL, Gravitron, WRP001, and EDK in advance to see if we can all just jump into my Lobby and see if everyone can "see" eachother.

From there, we can look into solving individual connection issues.
So far the EU races have been as perfect as I've seen online, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that we can solve the NA race connection problems.

In future races, we will not be "resetting" the room to make for a 30 minute qualify session.
Instead the room will open 30 minutes before the race is to start, and if drivers wish to run practice sessions before that, feel free to post in the thread that you are in your / a lobby that is open for practice, and others will join you there, then everyone can join the 3D3 race lobby to qualify, and Race.
Odds are good that if I'm hosting, WRP001 will hold a practice session, and vice-versa if WRP001 hosts, I'll open a practice room. (For NA events)

I can't imagine that we will solve the problem entirely, as it is a problem for a lot of races / and gaming in general, but we will definitely give it a shot for our fellow GTP drivers!. 👍
This series has become way too much fun to leave Drivers in the dark on the track ;)

@ Kevin: Thanks for doing this: 3D3 link in the WRS thread!
The more drivers the merrier :D

Last edited:
WOW you can't do much better then being listed in the WRS area, maybe they will sticky it 👍 hint ..... hint :)

Nice pics Hydro 👍 Those poor Mazdas took a beating.

Nice work on the pics Hydro! 👍

I LMAO'd when I saw the pic you guys are talking about :lol:

Thanks guys!
They are really fun to do, so it's all good :D
Just can't wait for the rewind/f forward replay controls in the coming update.
Should win me back about 3+ hours of my life each week so I can drive even more :lol:
Not to mention the time it will save Tim with the vids 👍

Oh sorry, I totally forgot about this.:ouch:
Having said that I wouldn't have been able to participate because I was busy all week...

Well, hopefully see you on track next week.

I think you're right.
Just out of curiosity I did the test on my PS3 and came out with this

unled1b.jpg

I think you're right.
Just out of curiosity I did the test on my PS3 and came out with this

Speed is one factor. Maybe on loading the grid after quali for the race there are time-outs that when reached your PS3 just basically punts and decides it's just not going to track connections to those other PS3s and their drivers.

Latency is another issue. That's how responsive the connection is to requests and can differ quite substantially even for equally fast connections. Too much latency and you get a very jittery car on track just like the DTM event. That can be caused by a faulty router, faulty cable or simply someone else using bandwidth with a higher priority protocol. I doubt the invisible car issue has much to do with latency though.

CSL -- did you see other drivers while you were practicing and during quali and just not during the race. Or was it just me visible the entire time? When I returned to my PS3 you were there and so was Blair and Lefty. Did you not see them the entire time you were in my lounge?

My connection test shows:

UPnP: Disabled (not needed/used with NAT 1 / DMZ)
NAT Type: NAT 1
Download: 2.5 Mbps
Upload: 619.7 Kbps

Marc -- do you have a faster upload and download?

I saw everyone on the main screen, not sure after that, I wasn't really thinking about it until 3/4 through the warm up lap.

I got into hte verizon modem/router, enabled UPnP, as it sounds like the easiest option, between a static IP and DMZ, plus when I tried to set it to DMZ the internet died on the restart. :lol:

But I believe just finally having UPnP enabled will help quite a bit.

Do you have v1 or v2? Both support DMZ for sure. Here is the v2 user manual and here is the v1 user manual. Using v2 for the pages below, but similar for v1.

They give a good description of DMZ (section 4-7) and this is why I think this router issue is causing the issue in GT5:

Incoming traffic from the Internet is normally discarded by the router unless the traffic is a response to one of your local computers or a service that you have configured in the Port Forwarding/Port Triggering menu. Instead of discarding this traffic, you can have it forwarded to one computer on your network. This computer is called the Default DMZ Server.

This discarding of traffic is IMO why you don't see the other driver. Your PS3 acknowledges that you are working with my PS3 so you accept traffic from me, but it won't acknowledge CSL or EDK so it's like they aren't there.

See section 1-2 of the manual which will show you how to connect via PC web browser to your router and then read the section on DMZ. You will need to find the IP of your PS3. See section 6-5 of the manual to use the router control panel to see a list of connected devices... You should see your PS3 as well as the IP assigned to it. Use that IP address to set up the DMZ.

Then run the network test again on the PS3 and see if it shows as NAT 1.

Also go to the downloads section for your router and make sure you have the latest firmward installed:

V1: WNR834B Firmware Version 1.0.4.2
V2: WNR834Bv2 Firmware Version 2.1.13

Do you have v1 or v2? Both support DMZ for sure. Here is the v2 user manual and here is the v1 user manual. Using v2 for the pages below, but similar for v1.

They give a good description of DMZ (section 4-7) and this is why I think this router issue is causing the issue in GT5:

Incoming traffic from the Internet is normally discarded by the router unless the traffic is a response to one of your local computers or a service that you have configured in the Port Forwarding/Port Triggering menu. Instead of discarding this traffic, you can have it forwarded to one computer on your network. This computer is called the Default DMZ Server.

This discarding of traffic is IMO why you don't see the other driver. Your PS3 acknowledges that you are working with my PS3 so you accept traffic from me, but it won't acknowledge CSL or EDK so it's like they aren't there.

See section 1-2 of the manual which will show you how to connect via PC web browser to your router and then read the section on DMZ. You will need to find the IP of your PS3. See section 6-5 of the manual to use the router control panel to see a list of connected devices... You should see your PS3 as well as the IP assigned to it. Use that IP address to set up the DMZ.

Then run the network test again on the PS3 and see if it shows as NAT 1.

Also go to the downloads section for your router and make sure you have the latest firmward installed:

V1: WNR834B Firmware Version 1.0.4.2
V2: WNR834Bv2 Firmware Version 2.1.13

PS> Now that we have a permalink in the WRS forum you guys better officially sign up fast... first come first serve and all.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post... meant to "Edit" and hit "Quote" instead.

Great stuff guys, but the timing is bad for me. Next time I'll be around 👍

Count me in for the upcoming event next week
I'll take the indigo metallic for color

Last edited:
Sign me up for next week, black if it's an option, otherwise dark green.

Drivers so far for British Invasion Online. If you aren't listed you haven't officially registered in this thread. Remember you can also invite/refer a friend with the idea that they may be on the fence for WRS and this is just another reason to run the registry and join WRS.

Last edited:
Great pics.... I was trying to keep my car in perfect condition but hit the barrier coming out of the pits on lap 13. :dunce:

Nice win Dom - great fastest lap. 👍 My setup could manage a 1'53.0 but that was the limit with it... a bit too tail happy I think and the rear tyres wore alot more than the front.

Sign me up for next week EU spot please chaps. Great fun with this Jag... Not decided on a colour yet. I see Speedy has gone for Pearlescent Sewage... :lol: Are we running stock setup since this is a non-tuning week for WRS?

Oh and many thanks for my prize :cheers:

Great pics.... I was trying to keep my car in perfect condition but hit the barrier coming out of the pits on lap 13. :dunce:

Nice win Dom - great fastest lap. 👍 My setup could manage a 1'53.0 but that was the limit with it... a bit too tail happy I think and the rear tyres wore alot more than the front.

Sign me up for next week EU spot please chaps. Great fun with this Jag... Not decided on a colour yet. I see Speedy has gone for Pearlescent Sewage... :lol: Are we running stock setup since this is a non-tuning week for WRS?

Oh and many thanks for my prize :cheers:

You earned your prize. Great race.

The cars for the next race come from the online "Recommended Garage" so you don't need to buy them nor can you adjust the setup... just like arcade mode offline. From our experience the physics tend to be a lot closer in these recommended garage cars online vs offline, but who knows after spec II what will happen. You can change a few settings like BB in race just like arcade mode.

The color choice is also limited to what's available in the arcade mode as you can't paint these cars and just can choose from the colors available. It's the same colors you can get in the car from the new car dealership in case you want to find the funky GT5 color names.

Thanks for the easy copy/paste, Tim. 👍 Added your content to the Event post, as well as changed Speedy's color to Indigo Metallic, and added Chris. 👍

Awesome pics, Marc, and video, Tim! :cheers:

My car started the race with tiger stripes too, I don't even want to speculate what kinds of things might accidentally carry over from quali to the race. :rolleyes::nervous:

EDIT: Thanks, Marc, you had already told me about GTP_Don, I'll go add him. :dunce: And I choose Ebony.
|
|
V

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back