3D3 Racing: WRS-based races moved to new WRS sub-forum!

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 2,120 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of online lap times were you guys running? I ran a 1'27.9XX as my best tonight in a short practice session with Dragon, Ealirendur and Allibubba. I was losing tons on the 3rd sector. My line is weak through there.

It could be a faulty wheel of course, but check everything about the USB connection you can. Loose connection on either end. Crimp in the cable somewhere. Try a different USB port on the PS3. I'm 99% sure it has nothing to do with the DS3. The PS3 is just losing contact with the wheel. When it happened to me all feedback was lost from the wheel... it went limp completely... and it would return shortly when communication was restored and work again, but sometimes it would come back off center until it re-calibrated. If that sounds like your symptoms it's the usb connection or something faulty related to the communication between the input device and your PS3. I was on the phone with Thrustmaster describing the problem and they wouldn't talk about anything else and they turned out to be right.

Funny thing was the first time it happened was when I landed a "big" jump on Cape Ring with a Lambo. It felt like it really broke the steering column in the car which i thought was part of the sophisticated feedback of GT5/T500RS, but it was really the vibration created by the feedback from the "hit" knocking the usb connection loose between the extension cable I was using and the normal cable attached to the wheel. I was on the phone telling Thrustmaster that Cape Ring broke my wheel. :lol: (Well I exaggerate a little :dunce:)
Thanks, I'll check it later today.

Oh and Kristof, my best lap was a 1'25.6.:sly: (after you left)

What kind of online lap times were you guys running? I ran a 1'27.9XX as my best tonight in a short practice session with Dragon, Ealirendur and Allibubba. I was losing tons on the 3rd sector. My line is weak through there.

My best with a full fueltank was 27.4xx.
3/4 of a fueltank and I made one .090

I think Wes was the one who did an 26.2 :crazy:

Speedy , you did a 1'27.3 or 2 and Wesley actually stretched to a 1'25.650 .

While I was left in Wesley's dust I did 1'26.9xx twice. (at 300 BHP)

Pekka

NA Drivers Grid
  1. be.gif
    GTP_Speedy6543 ...
    badge_division_2.png
    ... Christophe
  2. us.gif
    GTP_EDK ..........
    badge_division_2.png
    ... Kevin
  3. ca.gif
    GTP_Hydro (Host) .
    badge_division_2.png
    ... Marc
  4. us.gif
    GTP_WRP001 .......
    badge_division_2.png
    ... Tim
  5. us.gif
    GTP_Gravitron ....
    badge_division_3.png
    ... Lucas
  6. us.gif
    GTP_LeftyWright ..
    badge_division_3.png
    ... Lefty
  7. us.gif
    GTP_MilleRSVR ....
    badge_division_4.png
    ... Blair
  8. us.gif
    GTP_RaceRyder ....
    badge_division_4.png
    ... Dale
  9. ca.gif
    GTP_Allibubba99 ..
    badge_division_4.png
    ... Al
  10. us.gif
    DragonGT83 .......
    badge_division_0.png

EU Drivers Grid
  1. fi.gif
    GTP_MadMax86 .....
    badge_division_1.png
    ... Pekka
  2. nl.gif
    GTP_w-g-e ........
    badge_division_1.png
    ... Wes
  3. be.gif
    GTP_Speedy6543 ...
    badge_division_2.png
    ... Christophe
  4. ca.gif
    GTP_Hydro (Host) .
    badge_division_2.png
    ... Marc
  5. us.gif
    GTP_WRP001 .......
    badge_division_2.png
    ... Tim
  6. us.gif
    GTP_Gravitron ....
    badge_division_3.png
    ... Lucas
  7. uk.gif
    GTP_Owen .........
    badge_division_3.png
    ... Owen
  8. nl.gif
    GTP_Don ..........
    badge_division_3.png
    ... Don
  9. us.gif
    DragonGT83 .......
    badge_division_0.png

Speedy... we are going to test public lobbies for the practices this week... any chance you could set up a public lobby with fixed host (which would be you). Race Quality = Standard and come back and publish the room #?

EDIT: I have a public lobby set up for practice:

1472-6118-3658-4756-4424 (Room closed)

Speedy is in the public lobby also. If you are on my PSN friends list you can join this lobby by going to Community then click my icon (GTP_WRP001) and then click on the little yellow icon next to my lounge (not the lounge itself) which will allow you to "follow me" to the public lobby. If you are not on my PSN friends list you can enter the number above directly in the public lobby section.

Last edited:
** Important Practice Room Information **

For the "EDK Goes To Laguna" practices, we are going to experiment with Public lobbies.

These tests will help to better understand the online racing environment, and will give us the opportunity to see if Public lobbies are a better alternative to private rooms / Friend lists / etc.
It will also give us the opportunity to see if Public lobbies can help, or make worse, our connection issues - which have been much better lately, but we would still like to find the best solution.

At 7:55 PM EST / 4:55 PM PST (GMT = 12:55 AM) today, I'll post the room # that you will need to get into the lobby.

You can either write this number down, or read it straight from your PC / smartphone (etc).

Then, while in the GT Life Home Screen (Not Community), select "Open Lobby".
Once in the Open Lobby, point your cursor to the little globe, and press X.

SpecifyRoomNumber.jpg

A POP-UP will ask you to specify the Room Number.
Type in the room number that we will post in the thread:

(Example only - We will be using a different room number)
TypeRaceRoomNumber.jpg

A dialog box will say the room isn’t found if you have mistyped the room number. It will also let you know if the race room is currently full.

You will then be in the 3D3 racing lobby, which will look the same as our regular private lobbies, with the only difference being the Room number displayed in the upper left corner.
You may select your car, tune, enter / exit the course and Lobby just as you normally would.

If you have any questions, just post them in this thread, and we'll gladly answer them 👍

**Instuctions, and Pics taken from the OMRS Online Instructions - Thanks to Jerome / GTP_Jump_Ace 👍**

FYI: As this is a public lobby, anyone who finds it (by browsing rooms, or otherwise) can attempt to join.
All GTP_ drivers must use their GTP_ accounts that they have registered for the race with (invited guests - eg. DragonGT83 can use their non-gtp accounts - for now :sly:)

Any non-GTP drivers that are not invited and registered will be asked to leave the room, and kicked out if they do not comply.

Depending on the outcome of these two tests, we will decide if any changes are going to be made for the races on Wednesday, and post accordingly.

Last edited:
That looks great Kristof.👍

Will be interesting to see the outcome of testing with open lobbies.

Just to see if this gives any lag, a livestream testing is viewable here.

Just watching now, and I'm in the lobby too 👍
The live stream is a little laggy (but easily OK - and very cool to watch 👍)

Just watching now, and I'm in the lobby too 👍
The live stream is a little laggy (but easily OK - and very cool to watch 👍)
I think it's even less laggy than Wardez' streams.

Huh, you're all moderators now.:scared::dopey:
Congrats.👍

Congrats (Christophe, too!)

I don't think "Wowzers!" quite does it justice, but there you go.

Certainly indicative of good work done in and for the community, IMHO. Awesome.

WRT the public lobby trial - I assume it's to test whether it works better as a mesh (assuming it actually does so?) Wouldn't an unfixed host be more desirable in that case, or is that known not to make a difference?

WRT the public lobby trial - I assume it's to test whether it works better as a mesh (assuming it actually does so?) Wouldn't an unfixed host be more desirable in that case, or is that known not to make a difference?

Tonight we're testing the fixed host option which is not a mesh... private lounges are a mesh network (as far as I understand) so we've had plenty of testing with the mesh based network and wanted to see how this would work in terms of lag and invisible driver issues.

None of the usual suspects who get invisible driver issues have showed up in the lobby as of yet so nothing conclusive so far. But with me as the fixed host it's working fine without any noticable lag and we've got several EU drivers on and Speedy streaming the lobby live while I'm watching the feed myself on my PC. So this setup seems to be pretty robust -- at least with me as a fixed host. A little later and/or tomorrow Hydro will be the fixed host.

We may change a few settings here and there, but practice is the perfect time to try out different things.

Lefty... if you are out there come join us and see if you can spot Max on track.

Tonight we're testing the fixed host option which is not a mesh... private lounges are a mesh network (as far as I understand) so we've had plenty of testing with the mesh based network and wanted to see how this would work in terms of lag and invisible driver issues.

Cool. FOR SCIENCE! Proceed! (and try the other one too ;-)

Posted room numbers really do make it pretty easy. You can also find a friend in one anyway in the usual fashion (their lounge in community shows if they're in one).

Congrats (Christophe, too!)

I don't think "Wowzers!" quite does it justice, but there you go.

Certainly indicative of good work done in and for the community, IMHO. Awesome.

Thanks Ren 👍
There's actually 1 more....
Just poke around, and you'll find him.
You don't have to go very far, he's a 3D3 regular too :sly:

Cool. FOR SCIENCE! Proceed! (and try the other one too ;-)

Posted room numbers really do make it pretty easy. You can also find a friend in one anyway in the usual fashion (their lounge in community shows if they're in one).

Yup, It's all about the Science ;)
I've become a stats collection machine - as it pertains to online GT5 Racing :D

NA practice room #: 1472-6399-8665-9409-6004

If there are any connection issues, I will post any / all changes.

Edit: new room # coming in 5 minutes - connection issues :(

New room #: 1472-6681-3158-0100-4501

Last edited:
Thanks Ren 👍
There's actually 1 more....
Just poke around, and you'll find him.
You don't have to go very far, he's a 3D3 regular too :sly:

Yup, It's all about the Science ;)
I've become a stats collection machine - as it pertains to online GT5 Racing :D

Whoops, cool - Congrats, Pekka! (and again, Tim, Marc, Lucas, and Christophe)

Nice double post, there :sly:

Last edited:
I know, and only 15 mins with my new badge :lol:

It's an iPhone thing.

Btw, I'd encourage any /all drivers to at least try to connect to the public room.
Even if you don't drive, we would still like to confirm that you are able to connect, and see the other drivers. 👍

And a open lobby uses the guy with the highest bandwidth as a "server" If its set to fixed it uses the owner as the server.
A private lobby works like a torrent download. A mesh system that uses everyone as a server and as a client. This means that in a private lobby you can not enter with a NAT3 network so you need to forward some ports on your router if your behind a strict router/firewall. It also demand somewhat more from each client as they would have to send their data to everyone in the room and not just the "server/host"
So a private lobby do have a bit more "work" to get it to work, but when it work it doesn't really have more issues to it.
Not sure if this helps or not, but here you go.

As for entering the lobby, I might be able to, I'll see very soon, but the remaining issues we have, particularly with seeing/not seeing people are individuals connections. They just have to be.
I've just joined to many other rooms without these issues now, I always see everyone, I only have lag if someone else is using my internet while I race, except for the occasional 3D3 race.

I do think using a public room is the best way to go, partly by the explanation above in quotes, not sure fixed host is the way to go though.

Fixed host means if the host DC's, everybody's done racing. It also means if the host doesn't have enough internet-power to handle hosting 10-16 cars, everyone will have lag.

With that said, I'm off to join this lobby, but I highly recommend non-fixed public lobby as option 1, and a closer second being private lounge, with fixed host as the least preferable method.

This is my setup for 3D3 / EDK Goes to Laguna - race.

I did 1'26.379 at online test with Marc (Hydro) and Dominic (CSLACR)

315 BHP / 1125 kg (531PP)

DF 35/60

Transmission
First set the Final gear to 3.900 , then set max speed to 180 km/h / all the way to left.
And then set the gears as follows:

Final 2.500 (Shifting up at 6000 rpm)

LSD 10/15/19

Suspension
15/15
19.0/9.7 13.0
3/7
4/3
7/1

1.9/1.6
0.05/0.15 0.10/0.20

brakes 4/8 7/4

Racing Hard tyres

ABS 3

AS strong

Last edited:
The public lobby is now closed.

Tim - If you want to host a public lobby tonight, just post the room number.

I'll be practicing in my regular lobby for a bit as well.

Btw, dominic is showing Pekka what D1 is all about :sly:
He's into 1'25 territory. :nervous:

...I do think using a public room is the best way to go, partly by the explanation above in quotes, not sure fixed host is the way to go though.

Fixed host means if the host DC's, everybody's done racing. It also means if the host doesn't have enough internet-power to handle hosting 10-16 cars, everyone will have lag.

With that said, I'm off to join this lobby, but I highly recommend non-fixed public lobby as option 1, and a closer second being private lounge, with fixed host as the least preferable method.

I do not consider a public lounge with a non-fixed host offering many advantages versus a private lounge besides the cosmetic. From everything I've read a public lobby with non-fixed host uses the same net-code and approach as a private lounge. There is no significant difference. The difference is only in the UI and the options exposed by the software. Those cosmetic things may be enough to choose a public lobby over a private lounge, but they are not going to make much difference once the race is under way.

120px-FullMeshNetwork.svg.png

A public lounge with fixed host *IS* truly using a different framework for communication (star) and does offer something different versus a private lounge. The host is a true "hub" and the other drivers the "spokes" so all communication between drivers goes to the host first.

Star-Topology.gif

On the upside the hub can:
  1. lower bandwidth requirements for every driver besides the host (so your wife can stream speedy's live feeds :sly:)
  2. eliminate the invisible driver issues between drivers
  3. eliminate the incompatible driver issues between drivers (where two drivers knock each other out of the room)

On the downside the hub can:
  1. require higher bandwidth for the host
  2. create a complete dependency on the hosts connection (if the host gets DC'd the room dies)

The question is will 3D3 and it's drivers accept the risk of having everything ride on the host's connection and his/her ability to support the bandwidth requirement? Or would we prefer to live with a few invisible and/or incompatible drivers and distribute the load across the peers in order to maintain the capability to survive a network issue or power issue with the host?

Some examples of what it would have meant to 3D3 if we had always used fixed host (and assuming what I say above is accurate):
  • (+) We likely would have had a single Weds Forest NA race and wouldn't have had to split the room. EDK could have taken part in the race and wouldn't have been excluded.
  • (-) The Fuji NA race would have been completely destroyed when Hydro got DC'd during the race.
  • (+) GTP_Worst_Driver gave up trying to run with us (i think) because he could never stay connected due to network issues. Maybe with a fixed host setup he could actually join in on the fun.
  • (+) A few drivers who have had laggy connections due to sharing bandwidth (e.g. CSL @ GP/F) may have had better results with the reduced bandwidth.
  • (+) Lefty might be able to see the entire field

So to me this boils down to this question: Do we risk the occasional *complete* disaster to makes things better the majority of the time (assuming our hosts can handle the load)? I don't know the answer and it's not clear one is "better" than the other. If every driver had the capability to set up NAT 1 then a mesh would be better IMO.

Anyway... here's my summary of the advantages and disadvantages of each option. To me if we decide to eliminate the fixed host option then we are left deciding between the cosmetic differences between the two mesh approaches and can't expect much of significance to come of the change if we switch to public lobbies without fixed hosts. That's fine with me as we've had great fun up until now and I rarely have issues, but it might also be better for Lefty or Worst_Driver if we switched or at least tried the star approach instead.

Private Lounge (mesh / peer to peer)

(-) have to manage PSN friends list
(+) once you have PSN friends list set up it's easy to find
(+/-) other drivers can't change settings or start race
(+) general public cannot join
(-) friends who don't know better can join when they are not invited
(-) can't kick unwanted visitors
(-) cannot set a limit on # of drivers -- it's fixed at 16 max
(-) invisible driver issues remain as all drivers need to establish network connection with all other drivers
(-) incompatible network DC remain issues between drivers incompatible routers
(+) the mesh is robust in the event of a host DC -- host will transfer to another driver

Public Lobby without Fixed Host (mesh / peer to peer)

(+) do not have to manage PSN friends list
(+) have to post room # although mitigated as friends can "follow" you via the icon near the lounge
(-) general public can join
(+) friends are unlikely to accidentally hope in when uninvited (although they can follow so maybe not)
(+) can kick unwanted visitors
(+) cannot set a limit on # of drivers -- it's fixed at 16 max
(-) invisible driver issues remain as all drivers need to establish network connection with all other drivers
(-) incompatible network DC issues remain between drivers with incompatible routers
(+) the mesh is robust in the event of a host DC -- host will change dynamically if host gets booted

Public Lobby with Fixed Host (hub and spokes)

(+) do not have to manage PSN friends list
(+) have to post room # although mitigated as friends can "follow" you via the icon near the lounge
(-) general public can join
(+) friends are unlikely to accidentally hope in when uninvited (although they can follow so maybe not)
(+) can kick unwanted visitors
(+) cannot set a limit on # of drivers -- it's fixed at 16 max
(+) invisible driver issues potentially* solved
(+) incompatible network DC issues between drivers is potentially* fixed
(+) the hub is vulnerable to a host DC -- room will explode if host gets booted

*In the name of science, the first time we see invisible or incompatible driver issues I'd like to immediately switch over to a fixed host public lobby and test if it is actually cured. If it's not fixed then it's pretty obvious that we can eliminate that option completely. Until we have some evidence it's all conjecture and might as well be astrology.

Last edited:

What a strange (to me) looking setup.
I'll have to try it.👍

As far as room types go, as long as it's not fixed host, it'll work. A host disconnecting and the room disintegrating sucks, it's usually somewhere in the middle of the race, too.

I'll have to try your tune Pekka. Thanks for posting. 👍
Yesterday I couldn't even get in the 1'27's anymore. :confused:

I wound up setting up with Max's gears, but a slightly less lethal suspension setup. ;)

Best lap was 1'26.679 in practice runs.
I've really got to work on consistency if I expect to beat the coutdown clock.
Less spinning, and a better flow is what I need to figure out - it's a Laguna thing :(

I'm seeing lots of new moderators, need to watch what I'm saying in the future :scared:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back