3D3 Racing: WRS-based races moved to new WRS sub-forum!

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 2,120 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll have to try this tonight. Pit stop optional?!?!? :drool:

Have you thought about a bonus for podiums, such as 35,32,29,26,24,22,20, etc?
As opposed to flat rate 32,30,28,26,24...

Last edited:
The Sports Hard we're going to use in the race last like forever.
If you do burn your tyres away, you are allowed to pit. :)

Honestly, almost any kind of points system makes my head spin, I don't know how Tim does it. So my opinion was, let's keep it as simple as possible. :dopey:

Honestly, almost any kind of points system makes my head spin, I don't know how Tim does it. So my opinion was, let's keep it as simple as possible. :dopey:
The only difference is one rewards the top 3 positions with an extra point.
4th place in both gives 26, this one gives 3rd 29 instead of 28, 2nd gets 32 instead of 30, and the winner gets 35 instead of 32, for example.
Other then that it's just 2 points per position.

Hydro
EU practice lobby is open.
Speedy is in as well 👍

How was practice?

Speedy, are you going to stream the race tomorrow? If so I'll be watching over your shoulder, but don't get nervous. :sly: congratz on the great WRS result this week.

Well, I wanted to quote the original post, but alcohol means that I have to stop searching for that exact post and quickly come to the point, and I'm talking ping tests.
My numbers have fluctuated between a 42-55 ms ping. The download was between 16.28 and 23.42 Mbps. The upload was between 2.76 and 2.79 Mbps. These are the results of ten tests run back to back.
I think this directly corresponds to this "post" that suggests DC's are related to sudden changes in speed of the connection as being the primary DC factor. I will continue to investigate, but I think this is right on. 👍
I apologize for not being able to give credit to the original post, but as one who has suffered through these "episodes" where I just can't seem to stay in a room, I want to say "thanks" for pointing it out! :cheers:

Sorry if I've rambled, just Chuk being Chuk. :gtpflag:

Chuk, check this post earlier in this thread, specifically the DMZ stuff, and I will PM you some follow-up text about how we've gone about reducing our DC's. It's involves a little rain dance that I do before each race, but it's been worth it. :D Your numbers are actually really good. 👍 And you didn't get disconnected last week, so that's a good sign.

Chuk, check this post earlier in this thread, specifically the DMZ stuff, and I will PM you some follow-up text about how we've gone about reducing our DC's. It's involves a little rain dance that I do before each race, but it's been worth it. :D Your numbers are actually really good. 👍 And you didn't get disconnected last week, so that's a good sign.

Thank you, Lucas!! :cheers:

Hey Don! :cheers:

Don Mejillone
Sorry i'am late but is it still possible tosSign me up for EU .
Can't wait to race again !

Greetings Don.

Not too late Don. :cheers: Pick a unique color though. Looks like the much desired purple didn't even get a nod in the EU race so that's available.

I'll see you on track, but only via speedy's feed. Stay in front of him the whole race so I can keep an eye on you. :lol:

EU Race Slot (3:00 PM Eastern / 12:00 PM Pacific / 8:00 PM GMT)

1. fi.gif
    GTP_MadMax86 ....
    badge_division_1.png
    Pekka ......
  2. nl.gif
    GTP_w-g-e .......
    badge_division_1.png
    Wes ........Le Mans Blue
  3. uk.gif
    GTP_Vagabond ....
    badge_division_1.png
    Chris ......Starmist Crimson
  4. us.gif
    GTP_CSL .........
    badge_division_1.png
    Dominic ....Gold
  5. be.gif
    GTP_Speedy6543 ..
    badge_division_2.png
    Christophe .Grasmere Blue
  6. de.gif
    GTP_Diomiro .....
    badge_division_2.png
    Timo .......Sedonared Metallic
  7. us.gif
    GTP_Chuk ........
    badge_division_2.png
    Chuk .......Brightgreen Perleffekt
  8. ca.gif
    GTP_AspecBob ....
    badge_division_3.png
    Daniel .....Oxfordgrün metallic
  9. nl.gif
    GTP_Don .........
    badge_division_3.png
NA Race Slot (10:00 PM Eastern / 7:00 PM Pacific / 3:00 AM GMT)

1. uk.gif
    GTP_Vagabond ....
    badge_division_1.png
    Chris ......Starmist Crimson
  2. us.gif
    GTP_CSL .........
    badge_division_1.png
    Dominic ....Gold
  3. ca.gif
    GTP_Hydro .......
    badge_division_2.png
    Marc .......Gran Turismo White
  4. be.gif
    GTP_Speedy6543 ..
    badge_division_2.png
    Christophe .Grasmere Blue
  5. us.gif
    GTP_EDK .........
    badge_division_2.png
    Kevin ......Plum Crazy
  6. us.gif
    GTP_Gravitron ...
    badge_division_2.png
    Lucas ......Volcano
  7. us.gif
    GTP_Chuk ........
    badge_division_2.png
    Chuk .......Brightgreen Perleffekt
  8. ca.gif
    GTP_NishRacer ...
    badge_division_3.png
    Steve ......Hibiscus Red Pearl
  9. ca.gif
    GTP_AspecBob ....
    badge_division_3.png
    Daniel .....Oxfordgrün metallic
  10. ca.gif
    GTP_Allibubba99 .
    badge_division_4.png
    Al .........Premium Passionate Orange
  11. us.gif
    GTP_RaceRyder ...
    badge_division_4.png
    Dale .......GT Fluorescent Yellow

EDIT: We may have to pick an interviewee from the NA grid again as Lucas can't make the EU race and Hydro will already have his hands full taking on all the post race steward responsibilities in our absence can't make the EU race either. We'll confirm for sure later, but we wanted to make sure the EU winner doesn't feel slighted -- it's not personal and can't be construed as such as we don't even know who won yet! -- and we'll balance it out in future weeks with a few EU drivers in a row.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I wanted to quote the original post, but alcohol means that I have to stop searching for that exact post and quickly come to the point, and I'm talking ping tests.
My numbers have fluctuated between a 42-55 ms ping. The download was between 16.28 and 23.42 Mbps. The upload was between 2.76 and 2.79 Mbps. These are the results of ten tests run back to back.
I think this directly corresponds to this "post" that suggests DC's are related to sudden changes in speed of the connection as being the primary DC factor. I will continue to investigate, but I think this is right on. 👍
I apologize for not being able to give credit to the original post, but as one who has suffered through these "episodes" where I just can't seem to stay in a room, I want to say "thanks" for pointing it out! :cheers:

Sorry if I've rambled, just Chuk being Chuk. :gtpflag:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6312298#post6312298

I used to have very similar readouts to what you describe. I had cable internet. My main issue was that every 30 minutes to hour or so, my internet would choke out, phone calls would go static-filled, so while it was fast and awesome, I'd rarely finish a race, especially the longer ones. :yuck:

But I do think speed fluctuation in general causes DC's, I notice a lot of fast internets people have and they get regular DC's. Cable is know to be unstable to me from my past experience. (at two locations)

I do recommend running DMZ if possible as mentioned above, it certainly can't hurt.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6312298#post6312298

I used to have very similar readouts to what you describe. I had cable internet. My main issue was that every 30 minutes to hour or so, my internet would choke out, phone calls would go static-filled, so while it was fast and awesome, I'd rarely finish a race, especially the longer ones. :yuck:

But I do think speed fluctuation in general causes DC's, I notice a lot of fast internets people have and they get regular DC's. Cable is know to be unstable to me from my past experience. (at two locations)

I do recommend running DMZ if possible as mentioned above, it certainly can't hurt.

+1. Stability is more important than raw speed as far as DCs are concerned. That being said a very stable old modem connection just isn't fast enough so there is some minimum to maintain a connection and a slower speed will lead to lag and frame rate drops or having other driver see you bouncing around the track.

My internet connection is not that fast, but it's rock solid being a business class DSL connection and I have *never* had a DC (knock on wood). But I pay up the nose for it too especially when you consider the mediocre bandwidth I get for that money. I drool when I see some of those EU or Canada speeds, but I'm just glad I've got something reliable... just not enough bandwidth to simultaneously host, race *and* stream without lag like Speedy who probably pays less than half what I do. :boggled:

But you just never know... A remote office in my company has a bonded T1 line plus a normal DSL line as a backup. The DSL line is much more stable and never goes down whereas the T1 line with it's 99.9% up time guarantee is quirky... go figure, the connection that's 5x the price is the one that glitches most often... you just never know with these things.

How was practice?

Speedy, are you going to stream the race tomorrow? If so I'll be watching over your shoulder, but don't get nervous. :sly: congratz on the great WRS result this week.

Haha, first practice race gave a major fiasco at the chicane being the first turn. :lol:
Be aware there this evening guys. :scared:

Of course I'll be streaming Tim. ;)👍

Unfortunately I can't make the EU race today. It could be a problem making Eu races until Christmas it would seem (for me):(

Everything will be the same though with respect to the Room, and Speedy will fill in as the 3D3 rep 👍
I'll leave my PS3 on, and setup the room to ensure a NAT1 host, so connections are not an issue as Speedy will be streaming this event as well.

Have a great Race guys :gtpflag:

In light of Marc's absence could anyone from NTSC agree to save the race replays?

There should be two of them: one for the feature and one for the sprint. If you could export and share somehow we'll have them for the archives, highlights or other purposes. I think CSL, AspecBob and Chuk are all NTSC drivers registered for the EU event. Speedy should be able to grab a PAL version of the replays.

Thanks in advance and good luck.

Ok, I'll save the replays, but there should be more than one of us doing it in case something goes wrong.

I just tried to setup a DMZ, but I don't remember my router admin password :grumpy: so I don't know if I'll have DC problems...

Ok, I'll save the replays, but there should be more than one of us doing it in case something goes wrong.

I just tried to setup a DMZ, but I don't remember my router admin password :grumpy: so I don't know if I'll have DC problems...

If you do a Google search of your router make and model, you should be able to find what the default password is for it. Normally, you would not change from default.

I think Linksys keeps the User Name Blank and uses "admin" as the password.

In that case, Daniel, at least do the Internet Connection Test in the XMB and see what it says for UPnP. If it says Enabled, then your PS3 will be allowed to tell the router what ports it wants open for the race. This is not as "open" as a DMZ, but I think we have some circumstantial evidence that it is still better than UPnP not available.

Dom, just curious, you have "Can Host!" in your username description, does that mean you have a NAT 1 connection now, or still NAT 2, with the better speed/latency from your recent upgrade?

EU Race room is open.
Good luck today guys 👍

@Segovia. "Available" counts as enabled on the ps3 connection test 👍

I'll save the replays, too. Also, I have a cable connection, so that explains that! As far as setting up a DMZ, I'll wait until Jake gets here as I don't feel comfortable making changes to the system he set up. My first computer was a rock with a piece of charcoal, and I haven't really developed my skills much beyond that!
Off to the track now. Have a great race everyone!!! :cheers:

Racing On!

I just wanted to say that I touched the wall on my fastest lap but then I suddenly got DC'ed.:(

Can I join the race at Madrid forward?

Last edited:
I just wanted to say that I touched the wall on my fastest lap but then I suddenly got DC'ed.:(

Can I join the race at Madrid forward?

Yes. Join forward. Go in the room now or just watch the feed and join towards the end. They waited a few minutes for you, but couldn't tell if you were coming back. You should start on pole with the reverse order setting.

EDIT: Clean start to the race. nice turn 1. With w-g-e getting DC'd and thus Speedy starting on the pole there was nobody for him to punt in the first corner. :lol:

Yes. Join forward. Go in the room now. They waited a few minutes for you, but couldn't tell if you were coming back. You should start on pole with the reverse order setting.

EDIT: Clean start to the race. nice turn 1. With w-g-e getting DC'd and thus Speedy starting on the pole there was nobody for him to punt in the first corner. :lol:
I got a black screen for around 5 minutes so I couldn't go back immediately.

EDIT: :lol:

Somehow Speedy's stream quality declined during the race relative to qualifying. How do these things work? Sense available bandwidth and adjust compression quality?

I better not join the room now.

EDIT: I've tried but couldn't connect. Hopefully I'll see you next week.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back