5 reasons GT6 is a PS4 game

• Thread starter Mulan
  • 709 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
The original Kingdom Hearts comes to mind in a way so does God of War.

The Graphics can be the best in the business just make sure that Gameplay backs it up at the end of the day which recently it hasn't for many companies across the board.

Still with the PS4 there was some interesting stuff over at PSU.com they got into about why PS4 might be a 2014 or 2015 push they at least agreed it would be shown in E3 2013, but still might not see daylight till those two years. I'll link it probably tomorrow internet is turrible(messed it up on purpose lol).

PD needs more time :)

I read that developers are worried about resources managing so many platforms. PS3, 4, Vita, Xbox360, 720, PC, Wii U, Wii, DS...and all theese are still supported. Not easy to do games.

Sony can't afford to make a premium console though, we've been through this. You only have to look at the cheap materials used in the new slim PS3 to see what they think of 'premium' work.

Also you may be willing to pay the same as PS4 cost but the general public won't be, not without something significant that validates the price tag as Blu-Ray did in the PS3. Promise of 4k when they can't afford a £10,000 TV to benefit isn't going to cut it.

Well for me it better be something special. If its around same price as ps3 released (around 850-900 usd in sweden) i have no problem buying, an many with me. But it has to be special as the ps3 was. If its not then there is no need to buy it at all.
And price will be important of course but more important to go for being best, there are many like me in the world that like buying good stuff. Xbox for me will always be a budgetversion. Sony is allowed in a livingroom but not an Xbox (wife decides). This can change with new Xbox, but i just think that Sony should aim to be the premium choice of consoles. And 4K GT6 is a perfect way to convince me, even if its just marketing it will work for many to know they get the best.

You are an extreme minority while you can pay that price the rest of us that really help Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo with sales cannot.

Talking about being the most premium no one cares about that honestly I could care less about Music Unlimited, and most of those other apps even Playstation Home became quite boring after awhile.

When I play Playstation Games are first and last with BD/DVD movies being in there as well.

Technically speaking they way you make it sound GT6 could have 4K gaming slapped on it's case launch for PS4 you'll be the only one gullible enough to fall for it.

Also to make matters worse if GT6 on PS4 turned out to be Madden 06 for Xbox 360 you'd still buy(Hint: That was the worse Madden ever because everything had been stripped out).

Edit: Only because it would have 4K gaming

i am a beliver, and the signs i see are the way i hope they end up. And i think gt players are investing more, like in a wheel (chairs/stands) which isnt cheap but people buy them just for a game. so there is money out there if it is worth investing in.

Where exactly are the signs of an expensive, 4k gaming machine exactly? You've posted opinion pieces, you've posted your own opinions and you've posted articles talking about 4k video but I've not seen any signs that the PS4 will be a $600+ machine capable of 4k gaming.

Again that's a minority although I'd love to have a wheel and chair and what not at this point in my life it isn't necessary.

I don't know if I call you a believer or just plain blind.

You remind me of one of those people that go out to buy something just to one-up another person when the other guy you 1-up doesn't give a crap.

SimonK
Where exactly are the signs of an expensive, 4k gaming machine exactly? You've posted opinion pieces, you've posted your own opinions and you've posted articles talking about 4k video but I've not seen any signs that the PS4 will be a $600+ machine capable of 4k gaming.

well i havent seen the opposite either, no convincing evidence other than speculating from your side too. Checking the net there are many claiming 4k gaming and Sony is pushing 4k hard. Just check their homepage, its a main feature. And we have tech coming up that can help this come true. So I am not convinced otherwise until Sony says so.

Zuku
Again that's a minority although I'd love to have a wheel and chair and what not at this point in my life it isn't necessary.

I don't know if I call you a believer or just plain blind.

You remind me of one of those people that go out to buy something just to one-up another person when the other guy you 1-up doesn't give a crap.

world is a big place, what is expensive to you is ok to others. not like sony is going for 100% coverage. They have this strategy for Tv now, lower sellnumbers but going for best quality...means they left the cheap sets to others.
in this case they might keep the ps3 alive, earn money on it and have the ps4 lot more expensive for those who want more.

well i havent seen the opposite either, no convincing evidence other than speculating from your side too. Checking the net there are many claiming 4k gaming and Sony is pushing 4k hard. Just check their homepage, its a main feature. And we have tech coming up that can help this come true. So I am not convinced otherwise until Sony says so.

Ok they can keep pushing it, but it doesn't mean the masses will buy into it look what happened with the PS Vita tried to go the route of no discs, and it seems to have backfired.

For one because games are bigger than music files and even movie files(some).

After reading this random article on google about how Sony is trying to push it. I say let them and fall flat on their face yet again. SDTV to HDTV they got people to buy in because from face value without doing much research the differences seem pretty big at the time.

world is a big place, what is expensive to you is ok to others. not like sony is going for 100% coverage. They have this strategy for Tv now, lower sellnumbers but going for best quality...means they left the cheap sets to others.
in this case they might keep the ps3 alive, earn money on it and have the ps4 lot more expensive for those who want more.

Yes the world is a big place, but if they cater more to people like you they'll be out of business in 5 years.

We all want premium stuff, but unnecessary things like 4K gaming especially since it might not get activated until say 2020 or later can be left alone until it's actually useful.

Like seriously it's 2012 and how many games are 1080p native on PS3? How about we focus on that first I think the only game I've ever played that had native 1080 is Wipeout HD/Fury and I just might be wrong.

Sony is pushing 4k VIDEO. VIDEO. How many more times, they have not once mentioned 4k GAMING.

SimonK
Sony is pushing 4k VIDEO. VIDEO. How many more times, they have not once mentioned 4k GAMING.

Yeah the picture where the people were playing GT5 on those TVs is probably confusing them.

Plus only time will tell. They would have to lower the price of those TVs by a lot for anyone to really afford them

Resolution alone doesn't affect filesize. You can have a 320x240 video or a 1920x1080 video, if the bitrate is the same then the filesize is the same. Of course the higher the resolution you need higher bitrate so it's not full of macroblocking but I don't believe the bitrate for 4k would need to be that much higher than current 1080p standards, not with modern compression formats like H.264.

Ok I will admit when it comes to this stuff I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject, but when I hear 750GB at least for now I know that's not small. Plus when I think about download speeds out here in the country(which means rural areas for those that don't know) that's not good for people like me.

I know it can be compressed, but thing is like how far cause even 250GB wouldn't be enough just saying.

I've already got trouble with downloading games like DC Universe online(when I did have it).

SimonK
Exactly, it's no good saying that 4k will be more popular and common in 6 years. That very well might be true, but the PS4 is being sold at the most in two years time. They don't have the luxury to be able to afford to put tech in powerful enough for 4k and make the console cost $600 so that in 4 years time more people can benefit it, they have to work to the now and right now they can't afford to put 4k gaming capable hardware in the PS4 when it will benefit a tiny minority to begin with.

I mean how do you even sell that? For the PS3 the price was ridiculous but they at least had pretty good reasoning, people already had HDTVs, HDTV was a broadcast format when it launched and so putting out a console with a Blu-Ray drive was expensive, but something a large number would make use of right away.

4k however, wouldn't. Let's just imagine here that the PS4 launches in late 2013, costs $600+ and they have to explain why it costs that much? Are the masses going to be impressed when they say it's because in the future, when 4K TVs are much more affordable, they'll be able to game in 4k?

People want a benefit NOW when they pay for new hardware, not what they might be able to do with it theee or four years down the line.

👍

You could add that in two years after PS4 release we would get better hardware for 4k tech.

Sony would be stupid to produce a 800 dollar console. A console is a mass market product.

Mulan
Agree, they dont. But will they survive if they release just another Wii replica or Xbox lookalike? The same goes for GT6, if its not something special they will both go lost for ever if Xbox and Forza get better.
I dont think the price for the console is that sensitive as long there is good reason for it. Not at least it is below 1000$

Products must be affordable for a huge range of people. Why the companies don't sell their latest technogie?
Because they need to reduce the cost.

jabofu
Well, Sony pushed 1080p and 3D with the PS3, when most of the games do a miserably job of supporting both. The hardware power wasn't enough to run 3D on a reasonably level and the most games come just in 720p or lower. The Xbox 360 has the same problem.

Some are thinking that Sony have learnt from its mistakes. But the japanese gaming industry as a whole has not changed a bit in the last decade. From the PS1 on, Sony released one crazy priced console after another. Always pushing new technologies and standards. With the PS3 they brought Blu Ray, 3D and the 1080p standard. Besides 4k resolution there is nothing much that they could add to the next console. I guess they don't care if it works fully, they just want to push it. And I would not expect a reasonable price for the PS4. Next year, the PS3 might still cost 200 € and they will try too take atleast 400+ € from your pocket for the PS4. The PS3 went for 600 € to the customer just for comparison.

Sure, it all sounds crazy and Sony "must" cater the gamers needs, but they will do what they want. Again. They probably won't change their approach of pricing and hardware specs with a new console.

That is marketing. I think they will push for 4k and say the PS4 can do it. They did the same with the PS3, but the PS4 will not run games in nativ 4K. It will be used for movies and so on.

Mulan
(if people buy ipads for 600-800$, and at the same time the trend is more expensive laptops being sold and you still buy Iphone/smartphones. People have no problem spending money for better quality and easy usability today).

You can't compare sony with apple products. Apple are one of the best in the business in terms of marketing.

They could sell an egg for 20$.

Are we really talking about 4k gaming? The next gen should push for 1080p, because in this gen we only have a few games. I think <10 games with 1080p native.

Last edited:
Eggs design is very apple-like.

Also mulan you are not considering in this gen there are very few games that run at 1080p on consoles (all say they do but they don't), let alone at stable 60fps. To reach 4k you have to reach 1080p first.

I think GT6 will be a PS3 game and hopefully it comes out in 2013.

PS4 should be able to support 4K gaming unless they go for slightly above Wii U specs which I doubt. If they spend half the amount the original PS3 cost them to make, then they should be able to do 4K gaming of some sort. Soon as they are already trying with PS3, I think it is very likely the next-generation of Gran Turismo will have 4K support.

Best thing for Sony and Microsoft is that hardware is coming towards them in the short term in terms of longevity and costs. It should cost them less to make than there current consoles did at launch and graphically have more than 10 times the performance at a minimum if say it is getting released in 2013-2014. I'm hoping for a 2015 release when they can get something out that should have 15-20 times the GPU power. They might even state a figure higher depending on which route they go, AMD or Nvidia. The problem for Sony and Microsoft is price reduction might be hard to do for a good few years but benefits will start coming later in the cycle.

PS4 should be able to support 4K gaming unless they go for slightly above Wii U specs which I doubt. If they spend half the amount the original PS3 cost them to make, then they should be able to do 4K gaming of some sort.
Right. Sony, spending only $450-500 per system (after 6 years of inflation), will be able to make a console that can render games 4 times the resolution that the PS3 could only theoretically do and almost never achieved in practice. Best post yet over this discussion.

But let's see what Simon's chart says:

bf3%205760.png
So. Unless you are suggesting Sony outfit a pair of GTX 690s in this instead of the 680s Simon showed (which retail for a thousand dollars each) and then do some Hollywood Accounting to make it look like $450-500, no. I'm not seeing it. Granted, Simon's chart is misleading because modern PC games are on an entirely different level than current console games for reasons other than resolution, pushing far more effects than console titles do and running at higher native resolutions. But people will expect games to look notably better in at least some what next generation, and upping the resolution won't do that by itself, so console games will need to push effects too.

Last edited:
I think has run it's course and it has went way off topic.

If you wish to discuss the PS4/Orbis, then do so here.

If you wish to discuss GT6, then are numerous threads in this forum that would be suitable for your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back