50 Greatest liveries of all time.

• Thread starter albteman015
  • 1,617 comments
B-MAX Exedy B-Max F312 in the All Japan F3 series looks fantastic.

Cid7mIcUkAAnlJW.jpg

14624764_739897089481548_1797734045791027200_n.jpg

08.jpg

Last edited:
really sucks that they're getting absorbed by RedBull next year... :eek::(:grumpy:
Not quite. Holden are simply giving Triple Eight official factory status. Walkinshaw Performance, the team that ran as the Holden Racing Team this year, will continue to run in 2017, albeit without official factory support.

Peter Hughes, the man who has designed the HRT cars since about 2005 or 2006, isn't doing the Walkinshaw next year either, which is a bummer. I wonder if they'll go in a different design direction?

I think there's a lot of difference between "attractive" or "great" and iconic. For instance, with the exception of one silly wild-card, I'd imagine every single person on this board could name all of the below (regardless of car, I just mean the livery/sponsor etc.)

IconicLiveries_zpswyawycxd.png

There may be plenty of beautiful liveries, but there are few really truly worldwide iconic ones. I bet if people had to come up with a top ten list in seclusion (for iconic ones) you'd see a heck of a lot of similar lists.

I think there's a lot of difference between "attractive" or "great" and iconic. For instance, with the exception of one silly wild-card, I'd imagine every single person on this board could name all of the below (regardless of car, I just mean the livery/sponsor etc.)

IconicLiveries_zpswyawycxd.png

There may be plenty of beautiful liveries, but there are few really truly worldwide iconic ones. I bet if people had to come up with a top ten list in seclusion (for iconic ones) you'd see a heck of a lot of similar lists.
Martini, Turner, Rothmans, Gulf, Nissan?, Falken, BMW, John Player Special, Castrol?

I'd argue you could replace Turner with Brumos.

Oh, 100% - that was the silly wild card (had a picture on my computer). I think the classic red/white marlboro would be hugely iconic etc. I just think to be a real legendary livery/scheme you need to be universally recognized, regardless of racing. Heck "Red Bull" might be legendary in 20-30 years if it leaves motorsport sponsorship etc.

Oh, 100% - that was the silly wild card (had a picture on my computer). I think the classic red/white marlboro would be hugely iconic etc. I just think to be a real legendary livery/scheme you need to be universally recognized, regardless of racing. Heck "Red Bull" might be legendary in 20-30 years if it leaves motorsport sponsorship etc.
I think Red Bull already is an iconic livery, the blue livery we see now is essentially the same as that used by Sauber 22 years ago and in that time it has been used pretty much everywhere. I don't think any other sponsor has/or will win as much as Red Bull have in such a short time period: (Title wins in; F1, WRC, V8SC, GP2, GP3, F3, WRX, DTM, Dakar Rally, Bikes and a couple of race wins in NASCAR).

Of course it doesn't hurt that it is a nice design to look at: :)

1024px-Carlos_Sainz_Jr_en_Motorland.JPG

That could be an interesting thread in its own right...best Red Bull livery? I think I don't associate them quite as much just because Red Bull is on everything that moves, and almost every sport has a Red Bull sponsored team, etc. When I see Red Bull I don't always think motorsports (though it's not far off). One big failing for me in every Red Bull car I've seen is the lack of the beautiful blue/silver quartered can appearance. Also (I understand F1 has stupid rules against stuff like this) any two-car team should easily feature Red Bull and Red Bull Sugar Free ---- an easy way to distinguish between cars while easily identifiable as the same team. Remember when Kool Green did this with Paul Tracy and...Brian Herta(?) back in Champ car?

3e0f9e04dbdc0051e12f967c6cd4dce2.jpg

img0107.jpg

I think one was the "menthol" cigarette and one was not, etc. Simple and easy way to run two cars.

Back