50 Greatest liveries of all time.

• Thread starter albteman015
  • 1,617 comments
I have never seen that Turner livery, but it doesn't look fantastic. It's a bit dull, and a bad choice of yellow and blue to go together.
If you've never seen the livery before (and it's been around for about 15 years), how can you make a solid judgement based off of what is basically a thumbnail of only part of the car? Like, you say the colours are bad, but how do you know its not just the lighting of that one particular photo?

Early shot of next year's BTCC Honda looks promising.

16105655_1359147964126650_796937891974654675_n.jpg

The new cars look superb. The Honda looks much nicer with the colours reversed, but also worth a mention is the new Handy livery. Really polished look.

IMG_20170112_112237442.jpg

^^Really liking the new BTCC liveries for 2017, especially like the inverted Halfords one on the Honda's.

One livery I've always loved is the classic black-purple-green-pink combo of the HKS livery
Seemed to appear in just about every form of Motorsport in the 90s :lol:
HKS Merc CLK GT500.jpg

HKS JTCC Cavalier.jpg

And of course, any mention of the HKS livery is not complete without the legendary R33, 180sx and Celica drag cars:
HKS Drag Cars.jpg

I had no idea there was a CLK in GT500. Thank you for that. It's a really sweet-looking car.

Haha, yea I only discovered it relatively recently myself, certainly quite the looker. On the subject of unknown JGTC cars, I also recently discovered that there was a Lancia 037 entered in 1994 for the 3rd round at Fuji :crazy:. Bizarrely it was relatively unchanged since it's last outing in group B rallying nearly 10 years earlier, with only minor updates to the cooling system...

Last edited:
Posted this in the wrong thread last night; it got deleted for having nothing to do with the thread in question. I meant to post it here - McLaren are reportedly planning to bring back the ever-popular traffic cone yellow in some way, shape or form:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/127780/mclaren-set-for-f1-livery-revamp

Personally, I'll believe it when I see it.
Bear in mind that Autosport/Motorsport and McLaren are all headed by Zak Brown, he's just using two popular news outlets to spread rumours so the McLaren launch gets more publicity than Ferrari on the same day.

I'd still love orange and something completely different from McLaren.

Richard Mille unveiled a watch alongside McLaren in the last week and this was at the event in Geneva:

screen-shot-2017-01-16-at-11-36-34.png

I know we see a lot of show cars at these events in unique liveries, but the hexagonal pattern also matches the background for the launch date announcement the team made:

C2Sn5efWEAAv53H.jpg:large

If this were to be the new base layout of the livery I would welcome the change, but I agree with PM in that it could be something mind blowing - this is not that!

If this were to be the new base layout of the livery I would welcome the change, but I agree with PM in that it could be something mind blowing - this is not that!
It could work, if it was done properly. Make it more subtle, and maybe not cover the car as extensively. In my mind's eye, I'm seeing something like Sébastien Ogier's livery, which is the Red Bull logo over an automotive camouflage design.

Richard Mille unveiled a watch alongside McLaren in the last week and this was at the event in Geneva:

I know we see a lot of show cars at these events in unique liveries, but the hexagonal pattern also matches the background for the launch date announcement the team made:

That is terrible!! Most definitely not one of the 50 greatest liveries of all time - should be in the thread about ugly liveries lol.

In actually disappointed to hear that McLaren are movig away from theIt current scheme, which I've grown to like. The current design is very simple, but I like the way the bright Orange/red contrasts the black.

This hexagram design though, doesn't do it for me. The design is too fine, it doesn't stand out - and at speed, on TV, I think it would just look like a black car. Funny thing is, if that actually is the new direction for the McLaren livery, that hexagram pattern is about as small of a change from the current design as one could make, in almost every way :lol:

Eurgh, that really doesn't work well. I'm usually a fan of black or dark gray with orange accents, but that is really overdone and the straight lines don't complement the car's curves at all. It looks more like one of those gaudy Counterstrike weapon skins that people pay hundreds of dollars for because of the artificial rarity.

Haha, yea I only discovered it relatively recently myself, certainly quite the looker. On the subject of unknown JGTC cars, I also recently discovered that there was a Lancia 037 entered in 1994 for the 3rd round at Fuji :crazy:. Bizarrely it was relatively unchanged since it's last outing in group B rallying nearly 10 years earlier, with only minor updates to the cooling system...

They even kept the Martini livery!

Lancia037JGTC.jpg

Lancia037JGTCB.jpg

Latest Posts

Back