>500 to >650 to >???cars

  • Thread starter Thread starter zonekill
  • 163 comments
  • 8,013 views
600, 700, 800, or even a 1000+, it really doesn't matter to me. Just because there is the ability to hold 1000 cars in the garage doesn't mean that there will be 1000 cars to choose from in game, well 1000 'different make/model cars' anyhow, because conceivably you could fill you garage with 1000 of the same car.

I for one, and I'm sure there will be others plan on 'building' several examples of a particular car/s and set them up for a certain track, one for the Nurb', one for El Capitan, one for Deep Forest etc.

This would be done many times over cause I'll have cars (maybe different makes/models) throughout the horsepower range (300, 350, 400, 450 etc), different cars will have been researched, tried and tested, until decisions are made for each track, hp etc

These cars each in their own right would be 'different' in regards to optimising downforce, camber, gear-ratio's etc for EACH individual track, coupled with my driving style.

I know I could do this with the same car, but that would involve, documenting every individual setting I use for each of the tracks I eventually only want to race on. It's easier for me just to have half a dozen examples of the same car, albeit each slightly different in set-up.

In the end maybe I'll have 4 different make/model 350hp cars each tailored for a different track. The make/model of a car on a certain track may change throughout the hp range too.

To me there is a heap of cars that I have no real interest in driving long-term, sure some of these cars will have to be purchased/won to complete GT4 as a whole, but in reality only 50 or so at this point have me going, 'gotta get', and I'm sure I'm not the only one sharing this view...

If by chance in six months ----> year, GT4 has released it's online portion, I'll be ready to take people on, on the tracks I want to race on, in a car/s (if necessary with hp limit considerations) specifically set up to go quick on that track...
 
Hellnback wrote;
To me there is a heap of cars that I have no real interest in driving long-term, sure some of these cars will have to be purchased/won to complete GT4 as a whole, but in reality only 50 or so at this point have me going, 'gotta get', and I'm sure I'm not the only one sharing this view...


I agree, but my top 50 or so, will probably be different to your top 50. :)

With that many cars (whatever the final total) there'll be something there for everyone.



Unless of course you only like Ferrari's, Porsche's and Lambo's. :lol: :lol: :lol:

But then you never know. ;) :)
 
all I wanna do is get all the old school japanese sports cars such as S13s and other japanese drifting cars and play with all of those. nothing beats running light nimble sports cars on a tight windy track like autumn ring, or other narrow road course... Touge!!!
 
PD have stated (I think it was PD) that it takes about a month to model a car with the detail that they require. The time is probably less than this if more than one person works on the car in a different shift. I am guessing that the 650 + car count was their educated guess with their current car modeling time and the expected release date.
 
hellnback
600, 700, 800, or even a 1000+, it really doesn't matter to me. Just because there is the ability to hold 1000 cars in the garage doesn't mean that there will be 1000 cars to choose from in game, well 1000 'different make/model cars' anyhow, because conceivably you could fill you garage with 1000 of the same car.

I for one, and I'm sure there will be others plan on 'building' several examples of a particular car/s and set them up for a certain track, one for the Nurb', one for El Capitan, one for Deep Forest etc.

This would be done many times over cause I'll have cars (maybe different makes/models) throughout the horsepower range (300, 350, 400, 450 etc), different cars will have been researched, tried and tested, until decisions are made for each track, hp etc

These cars each in their own right would be 'different' in regards to optimising downforce, camber, gear-ratio's etc for EACH individual track, coupled with my driving style.

I know I could do this with the same car, but that would involve, documenting every individual setting I use for each of the tracks I eventually only want to race on. It's easier for me just to have half a dozen examples of the same car, albeit each slightly different in set-up.

In the end maybe I'll have 4 different make/model 350hp cars each tailored for a different track. The make/model of a car on a certain track may change throughout the hp range too.

To me there is a heap of cars that I have no real interest in driving long-term, sure some of these cars will have to be purchased/won to complete GT4 as a whole, but in reality only 50 or so at this point have me going, 'gotta get', and I'm sure I'm not the only one sharing this view...

If by chance in six months ----> year, GT4 has released it's online portion, I'll be ready to take people on, on the tracks I want to race on, in a car/s (if necessary with hp limit considerations) specifically set up to go quick on that track...

That whole post would have been good...buuuut...you forgot one thing. It's absolutely useless to buy more than one type of a car, even if you do plan on tuning it. If you buy all the parts for a car, you can SAVE different settings/tuning's and load them for different tracks...thus eliminating the need to have different ones, you just load the setting you want and boom...done.

I still stand by the statement, either they will have 1K cars, or there is going to be special cars that have something "different" about them, like winning an NSX with a special paint job or something like that.

I still think anyone complaining about duplicate cars is over exaggerating it...sure there's a few, but hardly enough to make an impact on 650+ cars.
 
tha_con - Yes I could do that but how else am I meant to fill up my garage??? ;)
 
Zarkoff500
PD have stated (I think it was PD) that it takes about a month to model a car with the detail that they require. The time is probably less than this if more than one person works on the car in a different shift. I am guessing that the 650 + car count was their educated guess with their current car modeling time and the expected release date.

Hm.. that "month" figure probably includes the entire production cycle for adding a vehicle.. to include research, modeling, sound capture, physics/handling, etc. A good modeler could make the actual digital model in less than a day, and I'm sure PD hires only the best modelers. I've seen people model super-hi-res CGI cars with full interior, every last detail, etc, in about a week, and game models are certainly quicker to make than film-res models.
 
I remember hearing it took a week for car modeling, not a whole month.

I think the number will stay shy of 700. As for the Skyline/Evo complaints... I've never cared too much with exception to what Famine mentioned about the two TME editions. Also, I wouldn't mind any/all of the STi's he mentioned were available to throw around Green Hell.

What would really make my day would be to see the (R) Mod back in action, but I doubt that will happen.
 
I'm guessing about 700 Cars. In that 650-Car list, there are no F1 cars, which leads me to believe the've left others out intentionally... :rolleyes:
 
GT2 was a week. I think GT3 might have been a month because the PS2 is infinitley more complex to program for than the original PlayStation. Now that PD know their way around it a little better they should be able to do it a little faster. But from what I've heard about the PS2 being harder to program, I seriously doubt PD could do each car in a week.

I also doubt there's going to be more than 700 cars in the game. KY's the man in charge, and what the man says goes. Things like the Brazilian Fake Car List shouldn't even be bothered with because they're based on rumour, not fact. So if KY says there's going to be 650 cars, there's going to be 650 cars, and he's the only real authority on the subject.

If there's 700 cars in the game, I'll be happy. If there's 650, I'll still be happy. The only way there could be more than what KY says is if PD includes the Racing Modiications upgrade that was axed from GT3.

EDIT: Event Horizon, is that true? No F1 cars? That's a shame. I never played GT3 (most of the stuff I know is from friends who have) and I was hoping they'd be included in GT4. Darn.
 
SlipZtrEm
I remember hearing it took a week for car modeling, not a whole month.

I think the number will stay shy of 700. As for the Skyline/Evo complaints... I've never cared too much with exception to what Famine mentioned about the two TME editions. Also, I wouldn't mind any/all of the STi's he mentioned were available to throw around Green Hell.

What would really make my day would be to see the (R) Mod back in action, but I doubt that will happen.
(R) Mod? Explain please.
 
Racing Mods from GT1 and 2 after all three stages of weight reduction. Cost like 65000 credits so it was a bit of a waste of money.
 
Do you race?
Racing Mods from GT1 and 2 after all three stages of weight reduction. Cost like 65000 credits so it was a bit of a waste of money.
Oh. Thanks. 👍
 
I remember you could get Mark Martin's Winston Cup paint job if you race-modded the Taurus. That was pretty neat (I was a big Winston Cup fan at the time).
 
First there's 500. Then 650 at the Tokyo Game Show. But could there be more? As I said time and time again, we'll get to have some surprises. So ANYTHING can happen. That's what can make a highly-anticipated game even more fun by the time it's released. If you ask me, here is my inequality concerning the cars with variable "c" representing what I think about how many cars will be in the game:

650 < c < 1,000

I love Gran Turismo, I think there will be a lot of cars in the game... however, I don't think we're going to see 2,000 or even 5,000 cars. Having 10,000 cars is doggoned impossible. Multiple cars in a GT game won't exceed 1,000 unless a PlayStation disk is able to hold a terrabyte (meaning, much more than 1,000 gigabytes) and the cars in question are a great mix of race cars, "tuning" car, street cars, vintage cars, and thereforth. Heck, we probably won't see that until maybe the PS4, PS5, or even PS6. And most of us young folks will probably be our 40s with at least one child and a loving wife/husband by then. So I say "more than 650 cars, but no more than 1,000 cars." You dig me?
 
at least 500 different Models and 650+ cars, why not? :sly:
A Arta NSX is the same like a Mobil1 NSX, but i want them both, just for the Garage ^^
 
Well, GT2 was advertised with "over 300 cars." The final count was 594, only 6 less than exactly twice the advertised amount. All things aside from the "too many duplicate cars" argument (since GT2 had many dupes but still a crapload of cars nonetheless), I feel it is safe to lean on the conclusion that GT4 will have much more than 650.
 
Mr P510
There will be 800+ cars.....trust me. :)
And, erm, do tell, how can you prove it? Unless you're KY in disguise?

And never trust anyone who says 'trust me.'
 
I'll buy the game if it has at least one current model aussie car..otherwise there will be no point...!!! wonder what the odds of Bathurst getting in the game...6.2km's or pure mountain racing heaven...
 
Fte_by_Ford
I'll buy the game if it has at least one current model aussie car..otherwise there will be no point...!!! wonder what the odds of Bathurst getting in the game...6.2km's or pure mountain racing heaven...

offtopic:
As long there are plenty of LeMans-RaceVersions and RX7 Bathurst-Versions in the Game, there is a chance of getting both tracks ;)
/offtopic
 
Fte_by_Ford
I'll buy the game if it has at least one current model aussie car..otherwise there will be no point...!!! wonder what the odds of Bathurst getting in the game...6.2km's or pure mountain racing heaven...
...And someone else has the licence to use the track. Codemasters have acquired it for use in TOCA Race Driver 2. And Infogrames (I believe, though they ma ahve been bought out) have the licence to Le Mans, Mukai. But before you setart sending rude notes to Inogrames and Codies for snaffing the licences, try playing them, they aren;t bad ... but not on the level of GT4. So I don't think we'll be seeing either in GT4. But then, fantasy tracks are always good alongside the real-world ones of New York and Tsukuba etc because they're designed to challenge the driver.

Frankly, I don't see what the problem is. 650 is more than enough for me. Somewhere in the neighbourhood of 700-750 would be nice, but 650's good enough. Besides, how many do you think PD can put in without putting back the release dae again? Because if they do that, a LOT of people here are NOT going to be impressed ...

And Mr P510, I still want to know how you know and are so very sure that there are over 800 cars in GT4.
 
@Doyourace: i see, but you can find Laguna Seca in Race Driver, Forza and GT. So i think, i won't be the problem to get the license of already used circuits ;)

edit: Bathurst IS definitely on the Level of GT. i Would say it's Laguna Seca³ :sly:
 
But one thing I am sad about is there is no Aston Martin DB9 or McLaren Merc SLR in the game.

Plus I would of loved to see more TVR's.
 
TVR&Ferrari_Fan
Plus I would of loved to see more TVR's.
i love TVR's, but pretty much all the TVR's(at least the ones i found on fast-autos.net) are in GT4, except the Sagaris... however, the Sagaris looks like a shoe, IMO, and its performance isn't spectacular anyways...

sagaris4.jpg


sagaris3.jpg


but who knows, maybe they'll add it anyway :).
 
TVR&Ferrari_Fan
But one thing I am sad about is there is no Aston Martin DB9 or McLaren Merc SLR in the game.

Plus I would of loved to see more TVR's.


head up, it would be much more sad, if PD reveals all bonus cars ;)
i guess, those 2 are of course bonus cars.

@Cobra: The TVR Tamora will be in. The Sagaris is just the hard tuned Version of it, isn't it?
 
hellnback
tha_con - Yes I could do that but how else am I meant to fill up my garage??? ;)

If GT4 has the same system as GT3 for the loss of horse power over time, you'll need 2 of each car, one to play with and one to leave unused for online racing.

A garage of 1000 spaces looks a little on the small side.
 
Rapidone
If GT4 has the same system as GT3 for the loss of horse power over time, you'll need 2 of each car, one to play with and one to leave unused for online racing.

A garage of 1000 spaces looks a little on the small side.
you didn't loose horsepower over time... it was b/c your oil needs changing. Once you change your oil your hp is back to full capacity. 👍

what needs to be remembered is no previous GT had enough garage space to have every incarnation of vehicle in it all at the same time. We know GT4's garage is 1000 as it was announced @ TGS... we know that b/w E3 and TGS the car count from PD went from "over 500" to "over 650". I for one have full confidence that they'll hit 1K, especially since online mode was dropped, they need that hammer to drop to quell the lack of OLR.
 
...maybe a few hidden crotch rockets to mix it up a little ?
 
Do you race?
(1) GT2 was a week. I think GT3 might have been a month because the PS2 is infinitley more complex to program for than the original PlayStation. Now that PD know their way around it a little better they should be able to do it a little faster. But from what I've heard about the PS2 being harder to program, I seriously doubt PD could do each car in a week.

(2) I also doubt there's going to be more than 700 cars in the game. KY's the man in charge, and what the man says goes. Things like the Brazilian Fake Car List shouldn't even be bothered with because they're based on rumour, not fact. So if KY says there's going to be 650 cars, there's going to be 650 cars, and he's the only real authority on the subject.

(3) If there's 700 cars in the game, I'll be happy. If there's 650, I'll still be happy. The only way there could be more than what KY says is if PD includes the Racing Modiications upgrade that was axed from GT3.

(4) EDIT: Event Horizon, is that true? No F1 cars? That's a shame. I never played GT3 (most of the stuff I know is from friends who have) and I was hoping they'd be included in GT4. Darn.

I've numbered your paragraphs to respond accordingly.

1) It doesn't take on month to model the car. It takes one month to finish all aspects of the car, from sound, to tests, to physics, textures and models...It only takes roughly one week to model the car, the other aspects are the time consumers.

2) KY said there were going to be 300 Cars in GT2, end product had 596...so I won't say anymore about this paragraph.

3) Race mods are a no show, it's been confirmed.

4) F1 cars were also not mentioned before the GT3 release, they were included. They are not licensed cars though, simply generic model F1 cars, there are no real life counter parts, but I am pretty sure they will appear in the game for sure.
 
Back