550PP Non-Race Car Super Lap: Eifel Flat

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 211 comments
Cough!!!...I am glad that you are fine with the setup and your impressive 1:38.187, but maybe your a better driver than me (There I have said it!!!), but I am not great at working out track speed and braking distance. So I will find Stotty's advice very helpful.

Looking forward for stotty's advice too, but in the meanwhile try to work on your smoothness, be careful going in and coming out from corners for if you let the traction to brake in either situation you'll loose plenty of time... Look how @Doodle uses the gears and try to do something similar (aka short shifting) you'll hopefully still be able to find hes replay from the top ten... And yeah, just stay smooth and try not to force the car to do anything, it has plenty of traction unless you let it brake and it happens really easily if you try to push it too much...

Good luck!!

ODB
Looking forward for stotty's advice too, but in the meanwhile try to work on your smoothness, be careful going in and coming out from corners for if you let the traction to brake in either situation you'll loose plenty of time... Look how @Doodle uses the gears and try to do something similar (aka short shifting) you'll hopefully still be able to find hes replay from the top ten... And yeah, just stay smooth and try not to force the car to do anything, it has plenty of traction unless you let it brake and it happens really easily if you try to push it too much...

Good luck!!

thanks

No problem, seemed to me like after I started braking bit earlier in to the corners I managed to carry more speed trough them, braking too late makes you brake too hard witch will cause you to loose traction, also when coming out from corners avoid pushing too much throttle and shift up before the turbo kicks in and makes you totally loose the rear end traction... So even when coming in to corners it might help if you don't shift down too hastily...

@Stotty did you have that rigidity improvement installed?

Just got a 1:42.789 with the Subaru S206 NBR challenge package '12 using @hall90's tune from the Tsukuba time trail, I had to adjust power to get it to 550pp and put it on comfort soft tires.

Sat down behind the wheel after work and after hour 40 and minutes got my time down to 37.901... Took me already half the time to meet my old record and after I got the swing going I managed to make that tiny mistake on every good lap to loose 2 tenths and mess it all up, finally after hour and a half I managed to have a really good start following bit more mediocre mid track but I think in the end I did pretty well too and got my lap under 38's... Really freaking hard to tie a good lap together, just slipping few meters too wide in almost any place and the lap is toast... AND pushing the throttle in the wrong place just makes you a passenger :D Good luck everybody and keep it steady :cheers:

ODB
No problem, seemed to me like after I started braking bit earlier in to the corners I managed to carry more speed trough them, braking too late makes you brake too hard witch will cause you to loose traction, also when coming out from corners avoid pushing too much throttle and shift up before the turbo kicks in and makes you totally loose the rear end traction... So even when coming in to corners it might help if you don't shift down too hastily...

@Stotty did you have that rigidity improvement installed?

Yes, I have chassis strengthening fitted... I ran my 1st session with chassis strengthening with a best of 1'38.0. For my 2nd session I switched to another NSX-R LM without it and improved to a 1'37.9 relatively quickly, but struggled to make any further significant improvement. When I switched back to the car with chassis strengthening I found the car easier to drive (relatively speaking!) and chipped another 0.3 off over the next 45 mins.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With cars like this I focus on 1 key thing... steering angle.

You can think of the GT physics model in a very simplistic way - the less steering lock you have applied, the heavier you can brake or the more throttle you can use (depending on corner entry or exit).

Therefore you absolutely have to avoid pushing the front too hard on the way in to a corner... as once the car is understeering it takes an age to regain grip, so you instinctively apply more lock to make the apex, and the result is instant oversteer the moment you pick up the throttle.

That's why I like a car to a bit unstable on entry (that's why I LOVE the NSX - it almost wants to turn in too much) as you can almost drift the rear in to the corner... not a big drift (you don't want red/orange tyres), but just enough to point the car in to the apex.

If you get this bit right you get the lock off quickly at (or before) the apex, and then you can use more of the throttle on the exits.

I'm only short shifting in one corner - I think it's the 4th (left hander exiting to a fast section), where I short shift to 4th and straight line the corner as much as possible with a big kerb cut and a slight lift. Everywhere else I'm running to the limiter.

That's why I like a car to a bit unstable on entry (that's why I LOVE the NSX - it almost wants to turn in too much) as you can almost drift the rear in to the corner... not a big drift (you don't want red/orange tyres), but just enough to point the car in to the apex.

Yeah, NSX is really difficult but really enjoyable on a track like this where the corner camper just makes it even more pointy and all you have to do is just hang on and try not to over do it :D one thing just is that this car just SCREAMS you to over do it for it can handle it pretty well, things just is your not going very fast drifting around TOO much :D heheh, but yeah, when you get it on a nice drift the traction is really good 👍

I'm only short shifting in one corner - I think it's the 4th (left hander exiting to a fast section), where I short shift to 4th and straight line the corner as much as possible with a big kerb cut and a slight lift. Everywhere else I'm running to the limiter.

Heheh, well I started to be bit more aggressive with the gears but just takes a really good line to be able to use low gears on full revs... Well modulating the throttle helps, but nothing really helps if you slip out of the line so...

Thanks for the tips :cheers:

Tune as promised...

NSX-R LM Road Car
No power upgrades, power limiter @ 93.4
Weight reduction stg 3
Downforce 350 600
Chassis strengthening

Should be 478bhp, 1,143kg, 550ppts

Ride Height 85 80
Springs 4.43 6.61
Bound 5 5
Rebound 5 5
ARB 7 7
Camber 0 0
Toe 0 0
Brakes 5 3
LSD 5 10 5

I've experimented with harder dampers, and have been well ahead of my ghost using 7's all round, but this is the set up i used for my best time so far.

Gears... not sure how I got these as they were already on the car from a previous event - sorry! May just need set max speed to min then set the gears, may need to fiddle about with the final before setting them. If you can match this set, you won't need anything lower than 3rd.

Max speed min
1st 4916
2nd 3605
3rd 2969
4th 2467
5th 2103
6th 1829
Final 3000

Tune is built using active steering strong - if you don't want to use AS you may need to reduce front ride height to get a similar balance. Otherwise, if it's too unstable, adjust as per my post on page 2 to suit your ability level... faster drivers can reduce rear ride height if they want a bit more rotation.

1:36.876. P1! Didn't expect to beat Immortal and Rajman without active steering! In sector 2 I lost about .15 but that's only because I still don't know how to tackle it properly. :lol:

My changes to Stotty's setup:

85/65 ride height
7 all four damper settings
5/5 brake balance

5/17/5 LSD

Quite a handful, but it gets the laptimes done. If it's too much to handle I'd recommend going back to Stotty's original settings posted above. 👍

Hey guys! New to the forum. Been playing gran truismo since the first game. I forget my exact time right now but I am in the 1:40.xxx range. I race cars for real and it blows my mind the times you guys manage!! So impressive.

One question... Why the zero camber? I run close to 3 degrees in my real life car. Is this just because of the comfort tires?

Thanks for all the tunes...for sure helped me out!

Have a great day!

Tune as promised...

NSX-R LM Road Car
No power upgrades, power limiter @ 93.4
Weight reduction stg 3
Downforce 350 600
Chassis strengthening

Should be 478bhp, 1,143kg, 550ppts

Ride Height 85 80
Springs 4.43 6.61
Bound 5 5
Rebound 5 5
ARB 7 7
Camber 0 0
Toe 0 0
Brakes 5 3
LSD 5 10 5

I've experimented with harder dampers, and have been well ahead of my ghost using 7's all round, but this is the set up i used for my best time so far.

Gears... not sure how I got these as they were already on the car from a previous event - sorry! May just need set max speed to min then set the gears, may need to fiddle about with the final before setting them. If you can match this set, you won't need anything lower than 3rd.

Max speed min
1st 4916
2nd 3605
3rd 2969
4th 2467
5th 2103
6th 1829
Final 3000

Tune is built using active steering strong - if you don't want to use AS you may need to reduce front ride height to get a similar balance. Otherwise, if it's too unstable, adjust as per my post on page 2 to suit your ability level... faster drivers can reduce rear ride height if they want a bit more rotation.

Thanks for sharing, got me a 1:39.294 a .200 improvement from my previous best. Not used to the rear toe at zero, will play with the rear ride height bringing it up a point at a time. Really need to fine tune my gear set-up and make third a bit taller.

My FFGT wheel is dying now with 3-5 and 4-6 up shifts every 2/3 laps. Want to get the T300, want to only spend T150 money. May just get the T150.

Really like this track and the NSX-R is a great car.

Thanks for sharing, got me a 1:39.294 a .200 improvement from my previous best. Not used to the rear toe at zero, will play with the rear ride height bringing it up a point at a time.

👍

Personally, I try and avoid using toe unless there’s no other way to control the car.

Rear toe in particular, has such a non-specific influence on a cars handling – say you have a car that oversteers on the way in to a corner. You can use positive rear toe to control this behaviour, but the side effect is more mid corner and exit understeer as toe affects the car in all stages of cornering. So your car might now be more stable on entry, but it’s also slower on exits, and exit speed is king when chasing lap times.

Better IMO, to use brake balance and LSD decel (as a last resort!) to get the same outcome as this only affects the entry phase.

And if you use positive toe to try and manage corner exit oversteer you get more entry and mid corner understeer as a consequence… more toe = more understeer mid corner = more steering angle to get to the apex = more oversteer when you get on the throttle… it’s a vicious circle.

Better to use a combination of throttle control, gearing and LSD accel to manage this.

Thanks again for the info Stotty. I think my tuning approach has been flawed yet worked for me in the end. I have been tuning toe and in particular rear toe first then LSD settings to get the car to work on entry and exit.

I will try the approach you have outlined for sure. Now that a Winter is coming I will have more time for these TT's.

Ok first of all huge thumbs up for @Stotty and @Doodle for all the information and setup details on this page 👍 I was already running on stotty's tune except I had dampers all at 3, after increasing them up to 5 the car felt already much better and I think at that point I even improved a little.. After increasing dampers all up to 7 the car felt really stable so I started to lover the rear and also increased LSD accel and ended up having rear RH at 70 and LSD accel at 12 and dampers all at 7, really felt like lower rear and higher accel gave me bit more grip on the exit and I didn't have to force the car so much going in and managed to make pretty nice lap in time 37.702 witch took me back to 19th place were I left yesterday :) 👍 I even think there might be few more tenths out there for me, but since I've made only hand full of laps under 38's it's going to be a REALLY good lap if I make it, good luck for all, and one more time thanks for the setups and tips, always appreciated :cheers:

:gtpflag:

Ahhhhh. I need to go figure out how to get into the 30's at least! I cannot get the drive out of the corners!

Thanks again for the info Stotty. I think my tuning approach has been flawed yet worked for me in the end. I have been tuning toe and in particular rear toe first then LSD settings to get the car to work on entry and exit.

I will try the approach you have outlined for sure. Now that a Winter is coming I will have more time for these TT's.

No approach is flawed as everyone has their own particular (peculiar?) way of tuning 👍

Personally, I use a very simplistic approach. Before driving the car I set springs to c.10% above min, toe and camber to zero, and after that I only really tune ride height, brake bias, dampers and LSD (with most focus on ride and LSD)... with just these 4 settings you can get almost every car in the game to handle well :)

ODB
*SNIP* 1'37.702

Great lap 👍

Great lap 👍

Thanks mate :cheers: really damn hard to keep the speed up to even make it under 38's and I really haven't made more of them than 6 or so so it really was a good intact lap :) 👍 I even tried bit lower rear and more accel after that, but I think I really want to keep it where I am now at least for the next stint... Heh, at least it's not about tune anymore for all the tools needed for that NSX are on this page/thread :) 👍

Thanks a lot Doodle and Stotty for the setup help. Managed to go from 140:xxx to 139:048 in just a few laps so looking forward to putting in some time tomorrow and try and get top 50. Your help was more appreciated than you can imagine by a lot of people I'm guessing. I know it made a huge difference here. So easy to drive, now to just drive it fast. I bow to you both.

Had a quick 15 minute session today and ran an untouchable, dare I say unbeatable lap of 1:40.something :lol:

Great combo! The only thing I would change is making the NSX premium.

I finally golded last night with the CTR2. Then I watched some of the leaders in the NSX and tried it a few laps. I wasn't able to complete a lap with the stock setup. I'll try some tunes and see how it improves.

Whichever video I watched that was #1, that looked incredibly smooth. Kudos!

I finally golded last night with the CTR2. Then I watched some of the leaders in the NSX and tried it a few laps. I wasn't able to complete a lap with the stock setup. I'll try some tunes and see how it improves.

Whichever video I watched that was #1, that looked incredibly smooth. Kudos!

No disrespect to whoever is currently #1, but for me I was most impressed with @Ed_Night lap (he was inside the top 10 last time I looked)... it might not be the fastest, but it's done with a DS3... I understand how people can be quick with a wheel, but how anyone can be that precise using sticks for steering a buttons for gas and brake is beyond me :lol:

No disrespect to whoever is currently #1, but for me I was most impressed with @Ed_Night lap (he was inside the top 10 last time I looked)... it might not be the fastest, but it's done with a DS3... I understand how people can be quick with a wheel, but how anyone can be that precise using sticks for steering a buttons for gas and brake is beyond me :lol:
He's not even the quickest DS3 user... There's a guy with a 1:37.1 using a DS3. Both times are really impressive, and this is coming from a former DS3 alien. :crazy:

Back