5th Gear

  • Thread starter Thread starter DQuaN
  • 125 comments
  • 10,823 views

DQuaN

Goat of the Year
Premium
Messages
12,299
United Kingdom
Ealing-London
I'm posting it a bit late but, Monday had the first in the new series of 5th Gear in the UK.

Did anyone catch it? It was great, 1hour long (don't know if that was just a one off for the first episode or they all will be like that). With Jason Plato Flying a harrier, and then the pilot driving a Ford GT. They tested the new aston, and pitted the New Elise against the New 911 Carrera.

Next episode is Monday 8pm on 5. Keep an eye out.
 
Damn I missed it.
 
I still prefere Top Gear.... I miss that show. :(
 
Lucky Brits....We never get any good car shows anymore, not after Top Gear was edited and then slashed... :(
 
We get it here (albeit 1300 on a Sunday afternoon...) but our series is really old. 2 - 3 years old...

I prefer Top Gear, which we have the current series playing now, but 5th Gear is alright - I always enjoy Tiff's drifting... :)
 
DQuaN
I'm posting it a bit late but, Monday had the first in the new series of 5th Gear in the UK.

Did anyone catch it? It was great, 1hour long (don't know if that was just a one off for the first episode or they all will be like that). With Jason Plato Flying a harrier, and then the pilot driving a Ford GT. They tested the new aston, and pitted the New Elise against the New 911 Carrera.

Next episode is Monday 8pm on 5. Keep an eye out.

I saw it but i didnt really like it apart from that Plato bit you were saying about :D
 
Missed it AND the repeat which was on Tuesday night around 11:30pm. I think it's an hour for all the new series.
 
Yeh was rather good, the ferrari part was interesting but i dont like the new office type thing they have got going, and did anyone catch the joke about the top gear test track compared to their test track "i got that one Tiff" 👍

I personally think they are trying to rip off Top Gear with this new format they got going, and it seems a bit false and made me cringe a little "oh Tiff do you need glasses?" "chuckle chuckle" ohh dear. still rarther have this than "Final Gear" or whatever it was called.
 
sprite
Yeh was rather good, the ferrari part was interesting but i dont like the new office type thing they have got going, and did anyone catch the joke about the top gear test track compared to their test track "i got that one Tiff" 👍

I personally think they are trying to rip off Top Gear with this new format they got going, and it seems a bit false and made me cringe a little "oh Tiff do you need glasses?" "chuckle chuckle" ohh dear. still rarther have this than "Final Gear" or whatever it was called.


Oh yea! thats what i didnt like about that episode! Before with their half hour shows, they just got on with it and done the cars properly. Now they've filled an hour with rubbish and lame jokes. The bit with Tiff entering those times into the computer was really lame and they kept going on about that Shumi seat that i think wasnt even any good. They were like 'come and visit us and you can sit in this seat!!' apart from that, the cars and that harrier were good and id watch it next week too but i think they should stick with their half hour show instead of trying to compete with Top Gear because they cant win.
 
A little bit off-topic, but hopefully you Brits can help me out:

I was told that 5th Gear came out of Top Gear.

The two guys used to be on Top Gear together (I assume this is Jeremy and Tiff) but either had a falling out or both wanted to be the star of the show. Either way, one guy (again I assume Tiff) went off and started his own show: 5th Gear.
It's made by the same people, (BBC is it?) but now they've increased their market share by having two shows on the box.
That's why they mock and joke about each other - because they're mates, work for the same company etc...

Is this information I received correct, or way off?

Thanks. :)
 
ferrari_chris
A little bit off-topic, but hopefully you Brits can help me out:

I was told that 5th Gear came out of Top Gear.

Is this information I received correct, or way off?

Thanks. :)

That's more or less it, but most of the team were the old Top Gear team - Vicky B-H, Quentin Wilson, Tiff & Plato were all from old Top Gear. I don't know if they were sacked for being boring and rubbish or just left, but the fact is that the "new look" Top Gear has Clarkson's paw marks all over it.

I keep meaning to look and see who the production company is behind TG, or whether it's pure BBC (which I somehow doubt). 5th Gear is not a BBC production though, I know that. Channel 5 is the poor relation in British terrestrial TV.
 
Wow! did anyone see it today??
It was brilliant! No lame jokes today, just straight to business 👍 👍
 
I saw the second half, I missed the Zonda F :indiff:.

Anyway, next week Tiff's driving the worlds fastest car, hmmmm, could it be the Veyron, or was it filmed too early and he means the CCR, we'll have to wait and see.
 
live4speed
I saw the second half, I missed the Zonda F :indiff:.

Anyway, next week Tiff's driving the worlds fastest car, hmmmm, could it be the Veyron, or was it filmed too early and he means the CCR, we'll have to wait and see.

Did you see the Evo VI, Evo IX shoot out??? I was sure the IX would win :indiff:
 
The pops from the Zonda were amazing. They were like bombs going off! :drool:
 
Missed it again.
 
Slick Rick
Did you see the Evo VI, Evo IX shoot out??? I was sure the IX would win :indiff:
Yeah I saw that bit, oh well, they'll have the Zonda Rin the next series of TopGear no doubt. I'm also waiting to hear about the Speed 12's expected appearence on a TV show.
 
yes was a better episode for sure, it is repeated ya know at 11:55 on the Tuesday 👍 just in case you missed it ;) The zonda was a great car, but i can't agree with what Tiff & that hairy dude said about it being on par with the original zonda, yes its not much quicker, but when exlusivity counts it beats the original zonda hands down. the evo test sucked because its meant nothing, why not compare the IX with the VIII would have been a more interesting match, which is better the new one or one that you can pick up with a great deal, and low miles.
 
I prefer the original Zonda because i think it looks much better than the Zonda F(apart from the interior which was quite impressive)
 
Anyone heard of any torrents for the latest episode (12/05/05)... There isn't anything on FinalGear.com...





;)
 
Stupid Speed Channel won't show any new episodes of Fifth Gear. Its just rerun after rerun after rerun after rerun after... you get the idea.
 
ferrari_chris
A little bit off-topic, but hopefully you Brits can help me out:

I was told that 5th Gear came out of Top Gear.

The two guys used to be on Top Gear together (I assume this is Jeremy and Tiff) but either had a falling out or both wanted to be the star of the show. Either way, one guy (again I assume Tiff) went off and started his own show: 5th Gear.
It's made by the same people, (BBC is it?) but now they've increased their market share by having two shows on the box.
That's why they mock and joke about each other - because they're mates, work for the same company etc...

Is this information I received correct, or way off?

Thanks. :)

FastEddie12
That's more or less it, but most of the team were the old Top Gear team - Vicky B-H, Quentin Wilson, Tiff & Plato were all from old Top Gear. I don't know if they were sacked for being boring and rubbish or just left, but the fact is that the "new look" Top Gear has Clarkson's paw marks all over it.

I keep meaning to look and see who the production company is behind TG, or whether it's pure BBC (which I somehow doubt). 5th Gear is not a BBC production though, I know that. Channel 5 is the poor relation in British terrestrial TV.

Some of what Fast Eddie has said is near the mark but its not quite right (and sorry for dragging this back up).

Top Gear was cancelled by the BBC a number of years ago, JC went off and did his own (very iffy) chat show and the Motorworld series. Shortly before Top Gear returned in its current format, Channel Five started Fifth Gear (they are made by different companies).

Tiff, VBH and Quentin Wilson did all used to work for Top Gear; Jason Plato did not. Having said that the world of automotive TV & magazines is very close, for example Tom Ford (Fifth Gear presenter) also writes for Top Gear magazine; and JC still rates Tiff as one of the finest drivers he know.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Scaff
 
They show that on Speed every once in a while don't they?
 
dont call me a fan boy, but top gear is loads better, i mean YOU JUST NAMED THE BOXTER AS CAR OF THE YEAR! WHAT ARE YOU ON? ITS THE VEYRON, OR THE ASTON!
 
New series starts next Monday, for US car fans the new Z06 was on the preview along with a host of other sports and supercars.
 
Good episode today showing highlights from previous episodes.

They had a 911 GT3 vs Helicopter

Tiff in a Williams F1 vs VBH in an M5

Button in BAR Honda vs Honda Race Bike Vs Honda Race boat

And Shumi in his ferrari vs a Eurofighter Typhoon.
 
Back