5th Gear

  • Thread starter Thread starter DQuaN
  • 125 comments
  • 10,823 views
King Crockery
Dunno why, but I enjoy fifth gear more (since the eight season) than top gear. The presenters in top gear seem abit over enthusiastic, and they seem to speak too much about non car related stuff, and include strange factors when reviewing cars for example "ferrari spyder is bad because the people outside can see your gray/bald hair."

Also fifth gear seems to include more sensible and normal cars than top gear.

I've watched some of the old top gears and they seem better then the new ones in my opinion.

Exactly what I think - all the best top gears have already gone (remember the old vs new supercars, or the GT3 RS vs 360 CS) and now it's turning more into a talk show featuring cars. I mean one of the last episodes with the interior decorating was just boring, and having to wait 50 minutes to see a fast car puts me to sleep. Thank God for Sir Jackie on the final episode.

I like how Fifth gear shows a lot more about the racing of cars too, and seems to get a LOT more time with ferrari racing events in Italy too, which is always a good thing to see :sly: . IMO fifth gear reminds me of Evo magazine whereas Top gear is similar to....Top gear magazine, and I unsurprisingly I hardly ever read top gear anymore.
 
I like both, for different reasons, TopGear is more an entertainment show that features cars, and t's a great as an entertainment show first, but not so as a car show first. 5th gear is the other way round, both are great in their own ways, I find TopGear to be more entertaining but 5th gear provides better info on the cars.
 
did anyone watch last nights episode with tiff drifting like a noob? what a shambles he was, but he eventually got a good drift in, but then the car let him down. great cars.

Wasnt sure about the 5th gear concept cars tho, they sucked big time, but I like the new Audi TT, but why oh why did they fit those pointless rear seats in, they could have left them out and increased boot space and saved on weight, making the car better, come on Audi use your brains.
 
sprite
did anyone watch last nights episode with tiff drifting like a noob? what a shambles he was, but he eventually got a good drift in, but then the car let him down. great cars.

Wasnt sure about the 5th gear concept cars tho, they sucked big time,

Yea, why did they throw him straight into a 500bhp 'monster' if he never drifted before? Of course hes gonna break something:rolleyes:

I thought the car with the exterior chassis thingy was good but HTF could that whale thing win? it had NO potential in terms of a car design!

Sometimes 5th gear makes me cringe.
 
It's a tax issue I think with the 4 seaters, I think car companies pay less tax on building them than 2 seaters in some countries.
 
I missed it last night. Is it repeated tonight?

Tiff not having drifted before??? What the hell are you guys talking about? He's great at drifting.
 
5th gear is always repeated, but I don't think it's tonight.
 
DQuaN
Tiff not having drifted before??? What the hell are you guys talking about? He's great at drifting.

:odd: Im sure he said on the program himself that it was the first time he tried it....
 
Theres a big difference between what Tiff does and drifiting prefessionally, it's like saying a BTCC racer should automatically be great at F1. They also gave him a car with a reputation at being very difficult to get right.
 
DeLoreanBrown
BS, he's a Drifting Instructor for Chrissakes!

HERE.

Drifting isnt the same as powersliding man and im not bullsh**ing because i honestly thought he said he didnt try that before. Why would i feel the need to bullsh** about that? You need to chill out.
 
DeLoreanBrown
BS, he's a Drifting Instructor for Chrissakes!

HERE.

Hes just telling you exactly what Tiff said on the programme, and im sure tiff knows what he can do better than you. But yeh He wasnt too good at drifting.

Tiff drifting article

its repeted on Saturday.

11:40am Fifth Gear (Motoring)
 
Tiff drifted his/the M5 beautifully, actualy.
 
Slick Rick
Drifting isnt the same as powersliding man and im not bullsh**ing because i honestly thought he said he didnt try that before. Why would i feel the need to bullsh** about that? You need to chill out.

I have yet to see the episode but he has'nt tried something IN something before. You should chill until you can prove you can match the man w/ ure innate drifting genes 'nall :lol:
 
Tiff is known for having some of the best car control in the business, you usually see him drifting in every other episode of fifth gear. I think what he meant by that comment was that he hadn't drifted proffesionally in a competition specifically for it. I also think it's a shame they put him in that car, made him look an average driver which he certainly isn't, and the instruction (at least what was shown) was pretty crap
 
Anyone catch 5th gear today, Tiff dorve a McLaren F1 with the GT pack and a Ferrari Enzo, and tubby drove the Ferrari 599 across Europe to see what it was like on the road rather than the track.
 
Tiff said it was bare inside and was about 300 kilos lighter than the standard car, so I thought it was a converted GTR, not just an F1 with the GT pack...? I'll take a look at the episode in about half an hour, I'm converting it now.
 
It may have been , I didn't catch if he said exactley what it was, mind you he did say it only did 6mpg, so that sounds very low even for a McLaren F1, so it may have been an ex-GTR.
 
live4speed
It may have been , I didn't catch if he said exactley what it was, mind you he did say it only did 6mpg, so that sounds very low even for a McLaren F1, so it may have been an ex-GTR.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. When I first saw it I was thinking it was an LM, but when Tiff showed the cockpit I'm fairly sure he said it was an ex-GTR. I'll either upload a short clip or transcribe that part of the episode in a while.
 
Tiff said it ws a converted racecar, with no sound deadening, rubbish fuel consumption and a crap turning circle.
 
Sorted, no need to mess about with uploading or transcribing then :)

I thought it was an OK episode, I didn't enjoy the aeroplane display thing or the bike jacket but the rest was good.
 
Yeh it was an ok episode the Ex GTR MC F1 was very good, it even had the limited lock on the steering wheel, I dont like the idea of a £30,000 6 month MOT tho. The rest of the episode was pretty good too, definatly getting better.
 
hahahah loved it, the noise from those two engines! I was expecting more from the 599 drive though, maybe it was just because that guy was driving it - BMW also looks fun, that carbon fibre engine cover is just gorgeous
 
'

The last episode was pretty good, the 'cadence manouevres' in the Elise & Pitts Special made for some satisfying Journalism as opposed to the sitcom of Clarkson Vs. May or Clarkson Vs. Hamster.

As to the episode where Tiff lost it a bit in Japan, well yeah, but 5th Gear still has two proffessional racing drivers & a nice looking girl (& an enthusiast). It entertains like a magazine whilst TG entertains like a popular series.

p.s congrats on the QP badge Amp, just noticed.
 
It has one presenter who IS a race driver (Jason Plato) and two who are ex-race drivers (Vicki and Tiff), Vicki was a race driver herself and like Tiff she still gets the odd race. She also used to teach a racing school. Tom ford is the only non-race experienced presenter on 5th gear.
 
I finally caught an episode and it's the last of the series.

Pretty good episode, beggers can't be choosers, but it would have been nice if they could have got a proper road version of the F1.
 
sprite
Yeh it was an ok episode the Ex GTR MC F1 was very good, it even had the limited lock on the steering wheel, I dont like the idea of a £30,000 6 month MOT tho. The rest of the episode was pretty good too, definatly getting better.
If you can afford an F1, that's probably the change you'd find in the back of your sofa :lol:
 
Anyone watch the first episode of the new series last Monday? Damn it was terrible, and this is from a fifth gear fan who preferred it to Top Gear more weeks than most. I just ended up fast-forwarding it to Tiff's 10 minute piece, and I hope Jason Plato hasn't left for good.

Tonight's better be interesting, it can't get any worse than last weeks. I actually felt sorry for them since it seemed like a charity shop version of top gears approach with having a live "audience" in the background :(
 
yeah i thought the 1st episode was bad as well. it just seemed even cheesier than usual. i liked the old 5th gear format better. and i miss jason plato :(


How much of a d*** do you have to be to say you could kick al gore's ass if you wanted. :p
 
lol, I thought that was stupid too :D

yea the old format was infinetly better than this BS - they just look lost talking about rubbish trying to bring in "a new crowd".
 
Back