5th Gear

  • Thread starter Thread starter DQuaN
  • 125 comments
  • 10,823 views
Who's the new guy, he's crap. And I've only been watching for 5 mins.
 
Who's the new guy, he's crap. And I've only been watching for 5 mins.

Tim Lovejoy.

Don't ask "who?" I don't know either.
 
Tim Lovejoy.

Don't ask "who?" I don't know either.

Presented Soccer AM with Helen Chamberlain on Sky sports, think he still does i dunno i havnt watched it recently, he was good on that, reasonably funny. Chelsea supporter too.....
 
yea he's funny on that because he knows football, hehe. At least they had the Clio Williams in for a drive against the 197, and it does show how stupid parking attendants are.
 
Wreck my ride was class and funny on Fifth Gear yesterday.
 
I really enjoyed Fifth Gear yesterday.
 
Fifth Gear is quite good and I see they continue to up thier game, employing Tim Shaw was the best move they ever did, I used to listen to his late night radio show on Kerrang, The Asylum and he is abosultely hilarious.

Im sure the 5th Gear producers thought we need our own Clarkson so they went and picked a guy perfect for the job, he's funny, opinionated, controversial and not too old like Clarkson... oh and he's roughly the same height to!

For those who don't know about Tim Shaw, see this wiki write up and youll understand what im talking about, although he is much more reigned in on 5th Gear..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Shaw_(DJ)

Robin
 
Last edited:
I have to agree, Fifth Gear is improving not quite up to TopGear standard yet in terms of editing or even film quality (Some of the pieces of video from onboard is horrible on FG!) but they are improving.
 
My favourite part in yesterday's episode was Tiff doing his wonderful powersliding in the BMW M3 with three females. :D
 
I personally thought that the Colin McRae part was excellent but I did follow Colin quite closely throughout his life so I suppose it meant quite a bit to me.
 
Fifth Gear is quite good and I see they continue to up thier game, employing Tim Shaw was the best move they ever did, I used to listen to his late night radio show on Kerrang, The Asylum and he is abosultely hilarious.

Im sure the 5th Gear producers thought we need our own Clarkson so they went and picked a guy perfect for the job, he's funny, opinionated, controversial and not too old like Clarkson... oh and he's roughly the same height to!

For those who don't know about Tim Shaw, see this wiki write up and youll understand what im talking about, although he is much more reigned in on 5th Gear..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Shaw_(DJ)

Robin

Agreed. I've been impressed with the series so far - it's been a nice antidote to the almost lunacy of Topgear. Far better than the previous series(es). I've been watching some of the old Fifth Gear on Dave recently, and I'm inclined to say that as a producer, Jon Bentley is rubbish. Not as rubbish as he was as a presenter (that was almost as bad as the Tim Lovejoy fiasco, although at least he only popped once every so often unlike Lovejoy who was always there driving me mad). Strangely I don't mind him in the Gadget Show. Oh well...

Anyway, yeah, they seem to be trying to become more balanced now. I mean I always appreciated the way they actually bothered to review something, but it got a little dull. Then they tried to add some zany-ness by chopping the review in half (half serious, half entertaining). Which is fine, except they weren't very good at the entertaining bit. Wasting 5 minutes of my time by showing the presenter draw a picture in some sand using the car, for example. Now though, I've got no complaints.
 
I agree, I've been very pleasently suprised by this season of Fith Gear. Not as good entertainment value as TopGear still, but it's improved ten fold over what it was a couple of years back. I enjoyed last nights episode quite a bit, listening to Bruno Senna when he drove the 911 Turbo and GT-R was good.
 
I personally thought that the Colin McRae part was excellent but I did follow Colin quite closely throughout his life so I suppose it meant quite a bit to me.

I almost became a bit teary eyed there. What an honor.

I have a good friend who owns a '95 Legacy with a jdm spec STi engine under the hood. He's also a keen rally enthusiast. He would have given his right testicle to have been there.



;)
 
I think 5th Gear is by far the better program when compared to Top Gear. The reason I want to watch shows about cars is for the cars- not the humor. :indiff:
Don't get me wrong, I know that's why TG has a larger audience and generally seems more successful.
However, I prefer 5th Gear if for nothing else...
Tiff and Jason bickering in a car while a hotlap is being timed > Jeremy and Richard bickering in a studio while James laughs (looking the oddest yet probably the coolest of the three).

:indiff: :sly: :cheers:
 
I really think the last few seasons have really gelled well. Tiff and Jason work really well together, and obviously have a few beers after the show. We've seen younger more youth oriented presenters (Jonny Smith), and more humor has surfaced. This is no doubt, in direct correlation with the success of Top Gear's unique brand of automotive journalism.

I have gone back and forth between 5th Gear and Top Gear. In the end I've come to the realization that Top Gear is more "entertaining", and Fifth Gear is far more "informative". Neither is better than the other. They just serve very different purposes, in my opinion.

All I know is, when a new episode of Top Gear is out, I'll push my grandmother out of the way to get to the remote. Fifth Gear, I can wait till I have my cup of coffee, and I'm just ever so comfortable in my chair, before switching on the telly.

Strange, as I'm usually the sort to go gagga over the more informative and/or intellectual programming.

Although, I still can't get over how close Tiff and Jason were in the Evo and STi, when Jason drifted passed Tiff on the last turn. (the episode before last).

That's good telly. 👍




;)
 
Delphic Reason
In the end I've come to the realization that Top Gear is more "entertaining", and Fifth Gear is far more "informative". Neither is better than the other. They just serve very different purposes, in my opinion.

I totally agree, both shows seem to have found thier own audience and whislt Top Gear has gone more mainstream with great success Fifth Gear still does what car shows used to do and review real cars that real people buy aswell as giving useful info... this way they offer something different and both balance each other out, you feel like you can watch them both without having too much of the same if you know what I mean.... Fifth Gear knows it can't steal viewers from TG but as long as people watch both Fifth Gear still gets the ratings.

Delphic Reason
We've seen younger more youth oriented presenters (Jonny Smith), and more humor has surfaced. This is no doubt, in direct correlation with the success of Top Gear's unique brand of automotive journalism.

I also like Jonny Smith, he makes the show really refreshing and his segments are always top notch.... I recon he is probably the best reviewer / presenter on the team with VBH the worst... seriously I think shes had her time! :scared:

Jondot
Jon Bentley is rubbish. Not as rubbish as he was as a presenter (that was almost as bad as the Tim Lovejoy fiasco, although at least he only popped once every so often unlike Lovejoy who was always there driving me mad). Strangely I don't mind him in the Gadget Show. Oh well...

:lol: Same! I can't stand him on Fifth Gear but on The Gadget Show he is really quite good.

Robin
 
I think 5th Gear is by far the better program when compared to Top Gear. The reason I want to watch shows about cars is for the cars- not the humor. :indiff:
Don't get me wrong, I know that's why TG has a larger audience and generally seems more successful.
However, I prefer 5th Gear if for nothing else...
Tiff and Jason bickering in a car while a hotlap is being timed > Jeremy and Richard bickering in a studio while James laughs (looking the oddest yet probably the coolest of the three).

:indiff: :sly: :cheers:

agree 100%

I prefer watching fifth gear. They talk and review cars I might actually own one day.
 
Who was that annoying guy in the bright shirt?
 
there is a possibility that the GTR tested on 5th gear wasnt even stock. Apparently has over 500hp. Owner is a member on the MLR forums.
 
there is a possibility that the GTR tested on 5th gear wasnt even stock. Apparently has over 500hp. Owner is a member on the MLR forums.

No apparently all GTR's have different HP because they are all hand made, this was said by clarkson in the Japan race episose, it can be as much as 100 HP + or - the stated average output, I wonder if the cars are priced axccordingly because I would want one thats slower for the same cash!

Robin
 
No apparently all GTR's have different HP because they are all hand made, this was said by clarkson in the Japan race episose, it can be as much as 100 HP + or - the stated average output, I wonder if the cars are priced axccordingly because I would want one thats slower for the same cash!

Robin

Please don't tell me you are listening to JC? Hand made engines are made slower and to tighter tolerances which actually would the engines more likely to be the same.

As for the 5th GTR I thought it was 'borrowed' only shortly after the GTR was released and privately imported to the UK, I doubt before then the engine was easily modded to 500hp+.
 
No apparently the owner has changed the exhaust system on it.
 
No apparently the owner has changed the exhaust system on it.


According to Haltech who has been trying to tune their own, custom exhausts have had no positive effect on power, stocker was just fine. Though playing with the newly installed Haltech made large gains.
 
Please don't tell me you are listening to JC? Hand made engines are made slower and to tighter tolerances which actually would the engines more likely to be the same.
I remember an article in Automobile where one of the editors built an AMG M113 engine for an SL class. He wrote something along the lines of "if the engine produces anything less than 493 BHP when dynoed, it was stripped and rebuilt."
 
I remember an article in Automobile where one of the editors built an AMG M113 engine for an SL class. He wrote something along the lines of "if the engine produces anything less than 493 BHP when dynoed, it was stripped and rebuilt."


Well yeah thats right, after they are built they are run on engine dyno's to make sure they function as should (not just to check power) a odd engine would standout in those tests.
 
I've read that the main cause for the variances reported in GT-R's power outputs is down to the different dyno's everyone is testing them on. Nissan claim that the car makes 480bph at the crank and 430bhp at the wheels with an estimated 2% variance in peak power. Put the same car on 5 different dyno's and you'll get 5 different results. Put two cars with a 20bhp difference (ie 2% more and 2% less than the 480 quoted) onto the same selection of different dyno's and you may see that 20bhp difference change to closer to 100bhp if you compare the two most extreme readings. Especially if it's a hot day for the low extereme and a cold day for the high extereme.
 
porsche tolerances are like 2% max apparently engine power wise.
 
I've read that the main cause for the variances reported in GT-R's power outputs is down to the different dyno's everyone is testing them on. Nissan claim that the car makes 480bph at the crank and 430bhp at the wheels with an estimated 2% variance in peak power. Put the same car on 5 different dyno's and you'll get 5 different results. Put two cars with a 20bhp difference (ie 2% more and 2% less than the 480 quoted) onto the same selection of different dyno's and you may see that 20bhp difference change to closer to 100bhp if you compare the two most extreme readings. Especially if it's a hot day for the low extereme and a cold day for the high extereme.
Yeah I've also read that while 4wd cars have usually been more difficult to dyno, this has been made even more difficult by the abundance of electronic sensoring systems that can now be found on most modern cars, and the GTR is certainly not lacking in any.
 
So Ive watched the first 2 episodes of this season and its pretty much the same 5th gear experience. They do well with the budget they have and having Tim Shaw is great although I feel he could be put to better use on the show. Also they have dropped Vicky who is relegated to doing an 'exclusive' online TV segment.

Robin.
 
Also they have dropped Vicky who is relegated to doing an 'exclusive' online TV segment.

Robin.

They've done what?! If you're going to get rid of someone, chuck Plato. He might be a racing driver but he's so devoid of any personality that it was a stupid decision to put him as a presenter in the first place.
 
Back