8-5 Not Fun

United States
Hartford/Ct/USA
I've been trying for a week now and I can't do better than 1:42:xx. All I do is spin out, hit barrier, hit cones, or go off track. I tip my hat to you guys who got gold. I know I won't make the cut, but I would like to get the car.

This might sound like it's wrong, but if you slow down your driving so you aren't going off course, or hitting anything, you'll eventually get faster laps. The car handles better once the tires are warmed up as well.

Sounds like you need to go back to basics. First up, car placement. If you're not on the proper racing line you'll never be fast. Once you have placement down add speed. Sounds like you're trying to go fast where you should be going slow if you're having that much trouble with the car. Also, throttle isn't off/on, feather it and mind rear traction.

First up though, watch fast repays to learn the racing line, then replicate it at slow speeds. Once you have it down add a little more pace.

GTPorsche
This might sound like it's wrong, but if you slow down your driving so you aren't going off course, or hitting anything, you'll eventually get faster laps. The car handles better once the tires are warmed up as well.

This is by far the best advice. If you want coaching, email me at McClarenDesign@gmail and I'll talk you through it.

you can't use the proper racing line because some idiot put cones on the racing line
i've done a 1:31.845 if i did not have to dodge them stupid bloody cones i could go a second faster...those bloody cones are driving me insane

then you don't know where the racing line is GTP

point is i know where the racing line is and a computer geek put cones on the racing line and i can't use the fasted line
that throws my off and makes the car lose trackson

Sorry for the use of bold and red, but I'm hoping the OP will find this between all the off-topic hijacks about cones and grass.

To the OP, there are some basic things that will help you go faster here and everywhere.

Slow down. Brake earlier and turn in earlier.

Imagine a string between the throttle, brakes and steering wheel. Your tires have a limited amount of traction. You have to brake, accelerate, and turn with that limited traction. So if you turn more you have to brake less or accelerate less. As you turn in you have to ease off the brakes so there is traction to turn (which is why you brake earlier). As you come off the corner you can start feeding in throttle as you straighten the front wheels. Be smooth. No sudden movements.

Keep your eyes up. Look ahead. Look where you're going instead of where you are. When you're on the straight you should be looking at the next apex. When you're entering the turn you should be looking at the exit of the turn.

Use active steering and traction control if you're not.

Last edited:

point is i know where the racing line is and a computer geek put cones on the racing line and i can't use the fasted line
If you watch F1, they don't go past the curbs if they can help it because it slows them down. I have no idea where you got the idea that the cones were on the dirt but your source is wrong.

EDIT: 4000 posts!

wayne jacobs

Funny, because I didn't have any cones on my racing line. Perhaps if the cones are on your line, you should change lines?

Ross
If you watch F1, they don't go past the curbs if they can help it because it slows them down. I have no idea where you got the idea that the cones were on the dirt but your source is wrong.

EDIT: 4000 posts!

That's because they are F1 cars with really low ride height and tonnes of grip, going across the grass at 4 would work in real life in a normal car like the 370z. No where else would work though.

wayne jacobs

You are aware that there are an infinite number of lines around a corner, right? To say that GTP doesn't know where the line is is ignorant at best. Clearly there are drivers here that have mastered the challenge, proving that at least a few here know where the racing line is.

Perhaps some honest introspection will help you, but please don't blame us for your error.

You can only hit the cones if you have more than 50% of the car width off-track and like mentioned, if everyone could cut the corners, everyone would be quicker. If you can only achieve a 1:41, you're just not fast enough.

as long as you have two wheels on the black stuff it legal

no i don't wanna blame other people
i just wanna drive the track the way it ment to be

i've done a 1:31.845

what s your times?
why so agro
cheers

Watch your grammar a bit please.
And why are you deciding what's "legal" and what isn't?

My best time so far was a 1:33.919, without cutting any corners, driven with a DS3 and without any helpers like active steering.

You can only hit the cones if you have more than 50% of the car width off-trackand like mentioned, if everyone could cut the corners, everyone would be quicker. If you can only achieve a 1:41, you're just not fast enough.

That's just not true at all. Putting two tires on the curb will often result in a hit cone.

as long as you have two wheels on the black stuff it legal

no i don't wanna blame other people
i just wanna drive the track the way it ment to be

i've done a 1:31.845

what s your times?
why so agro
cheers

When you signed up for this forum you agreed to the Acceptable Use Policy. You should take the time to read what you agreed to.

https://www.gtplanet.net/aup/

I direct your attention to the second bullet in particular.

I'd also like to invite all of you hijacking this thread for bickering to continue your "conversation" in the Unrealistic Whining (er, I mean Unrealistic Driving) thread.

Funny how I started this thread because I can't get good lap times, and would like some ideas. Now its about cones on the driving line and off road driving. My best lap time is 1:42:xx and I see others with 10 seconds better.
I've tried all assists off and various combos with assists. I'm using a ps3 controller.

Funny how I started this thread because I can't get good lap times, and would like some ideas. Now its about cones on the driving line and off road driving. My best lap time is 1:42:xx and I see others with 10 seconds better.
I've tried all assists off and various combos with assists. I'm using a ps3 controller.

Your question has already been answered. Take it easy on the car and be calm around the corners so your tires don't spin and you nearly spin out.

A good way to get a handle on the car might be to leave the TCS at the default setting, run that until you can get faster, then slowly reduce the TCS until you don't need it anymore. That's what I did with the GT Academy 2010 TT when I was still using the controller and wasn't use to the new physics it had.

i don't cheat and i don't wanna cheat
i just get frustrated when i hit a cone and get disqualified when i know i did not go off the track.
even if they move the cones back 12 inches.
i fought you all would agree with me
but all you wanna do is attack me
the only person who knew what i was talking about was
SPURGY 777
the rest of you just wanna attack other pe

a real race car driver would agree with me

bye uall

Back