82nd Running Of The Le Mans 24 Hours - 14/15 June 2014.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 4,367 comments
  • 178,573 views
Yeah so are mine...but most of us see this as a bad crash and find it amazing the engineering safety that went into this and saved his life.

First thought is always for the driver, then the marshalls*, then "how the hell did they survive that".

Let's be honest, watching drivers smash the hell out of car at racing speed and then climb out looking annoyed... it is a part of the excitement and danger of motorsport.

McNish, Davidson, Duval, keeping Audi crash testers busy since, well, the last few years.

*Watching the replays of Massa/Perez I'm still amazed at the bravery of the marshalls. That was a very live track, a very dangerous corner... and there was no hesitation, they sprinted out there almost before the cars had even stopped moving.
 
Spotters Guides have been updated with the change in drivers along with a couple of other details.
http://www.spotterguides.com/portfolio/2014-le-mans/

I feel like asking Andy Blackmore if he can also put in the locations of the Marshal Posts in the track map. :D
 
First thought is always for the driver, then the marshalls*, then "how the hell did they survive that".

Let's be honest, watching drivers smash the hell out of car at racing speed and then climb out looking annoyed... it is a part of the excitement and danger of motorsport.

McNish, Davidson, Duval, keeping Audi crash testers busy since, well, the last few years.

*Watching the replays of Massa/Perez I'm still amazed at the bravery of the marshalls. That was a very live track, a very dangerous corner... and there was no hesitation, they sprinted out there almost before the cars had even stopped moving.

Well no one said what order, and it's stupid to think that we don't care for the driver. Thoughts for their safety go without saying.
 
Well no one said what order, and it's stupid to think that we don't care for the driver. Thoughts for their safety go without saying.

Yeah, I kind of agree with you there. As much as I was concerned about Duval, and as much as I'm relieved right now because he's in one piece, it just amazes me how the 🤬 that car managed to keep the driver almost intact. Had that same incident happened with the safety standards of, say, 15 or 20 years ago, we'd be crying for another hero.

Ok, Dr. Ulrich, we get it, your cars are safe, Audi Ultra bla bla bla. Stop crashing them for advertisement purposes! :lol:
 
And we are go!

31DB8EC1-5845-472B-8946-ACE1FE6FC7C5_zps4pazhhwk.jpg


Helicopter chaps filling me with confidence.....
7A7BACFC-BDD1-4DB2-A123-C39664A5B420_zpslehxw6fj.jpg
 
Right, around this time last couple years GTP'ers have switched avatars to show who they are supporting for the LM24. AMR #97 here. Who is supporting who here this year?
Already changed mine a couple of weeks ago :)

Go #36 Alpine!
 
Boy, these next two weekends are gonna be fun. Incoming Avatar change coming...soon.


As for the Audi crash, that looked bad. It might just be me but is there even the slightest possibility that it happened a lot like this crash:



After all, it too happened in the Porsche Curves.
 
I'm really looking forward to the 24 Heures Du Mans this weekend, I will be keeping an eye especially on the #1 Audi and #8/#12 Toyotas in the LM P1 class. Other cars I'm rooting for are the of course the #20 LM P1 Porsche, #35 LM P2 Nissan and #97 GTE Pro Aston Martin.

So, no one driver in particular but a small group. It's just a shame the site that I write for don't cover Le Mans as I would love to write about it.
 
Tom
I'm really looking forward to the 24 Heures Du Mans this weekend, I will be keeping an eye especially on the #1 Audi and #8/#12 Toyotas in the LM P1 class. Other cars I'm rooting for are the of course the #20 LM P1 Porsche, #35 LM P2 Nissan and #97 GTE Pro Aston Martin.

So, no one driver in particular but a small group. It's just a shame the site that I write for don't cover Le Mans as I would love to write about it.
Why not start? A lot of the tech is going to be crossed between the both and you could include mark webber as well.

Maybe do up with proof articles and see what the editor thinks.
 
Yeah so are mine...but most of us see this as a bad crash and find it amazing the engineering safety that went into this and saved his life.

First thought is always for the driver, then the marshalls*, then "how the hell did they survive that".

Let's be honest, watching drivers smash the hell out of car at racing speed and then climb out looking annoyed... it is a part of the excitement and danger of motorsport.

Well no one said what order, and it's stupid to think that we don't care for the driver. Thoughts for their safety go without saying.

Woooaahh, get a coffee...I should have explicitly agreed with you, but I was agreeing anyway! You've been on forums too long.... you think everyone disagrees...and you did put the driver safety first in your response :)

Tom
It's just a shame the site that I write for don't cover Le Mans as I would love to write about it.

I think I spotted your grammatical poo-poo ;)

As @Holdenhsvgtsr said, write some proofs and submit them (or the outline), that's the best way to see what's what.
 
Last edited:
Why not start? A lot of the tech is going to be crossed between the both and you could include mark webber as well.

Maybe do up with proof articles and see what the editor thinks.

That's not too bad of an idea, hsv. I have discussed it with him before, but nothing really came of it. I will probably re-raise the topic though.

I think I spotted your grammatical poo-poo ;)

Oh bugger, in my defence it was early! :lol:
 
Oh, Dover, you're around 20 minutes away from me!
 
Those would make fine additions to the DYSAGT thread. 👍
 
Wow, that is jaw dropping. Thank god he's ok. Amazing he survived and what a testament to the safety in engineering the car.
 
I think, if we compare that picture with the ones we already saw, that the car went airborne, went over the concrete barrier (although impacting its top, we see debris on the inner side of it), hit the outer fence came back over the concrete barrier again and finally halted , utterly destroyed, close to the barrier but inside the track.

What a crash indeed

(if memory serves, McNish's car also "came back" to land in the run off area, although I think that car never actually hit the fence, it just "rolled over" the top of the concret barrier and finally landed back inside the track, in the sand)

EDIT - Yes, that's what happened then, and probably also now. I'm only speculating, but I think it is very likely that Duval's car also became airborne.

Here's McNish's crash

 
With all these flying cars I don't think the cutouts in the fenders and the rear fin are working.
 
You would have thought that Le Man would have learned from the several severe crashes and the fatal crash that happened there. There is no excuse for concrete barriers and no run off areas like that. I hope they have lots of run off in the Porsche Curves and other parts of the track with tire barriers, SAFER Barriers, or tec pro barriers installed. Now for what caused the carnage, the debris fence, they need to get rid of these things in some sections of tracks and have a safer alternative like a super high wall, they have seriously injured drivers like Kenny Brack and Dario Franchitti and killed Dan Weldon.




It's like Indycar is running the place in regards to track safety. Anyway, he is very lucky to be alive thanks to the safety of the CARS. I was really concerned that this was going to be a fatal when I saw him still in the car and his whole body exposed outside of the car.
 
Last edited:
Is it me, or is that cockpit not fully intact? It looks like the roof has come away at driver's right.
 
Go webber! Fastest lap in practice. Just dont flip this time!

Also, im going for dempsey racing, as I have respect for actors that can drive
 
With all these flying cars I don't think the cutouts in the fenders and the rear fin are working.

I'm wondering if it's plausible for LMP1 cars to have flaps similar to NASCAR roof flaps to keep the cars from becoming airborne. Recent years, the LMP1s seems to catch air if the car lose control at high speed.
 
I'm wondering if it's plausible for LMP1 cars to have flaps similar to NASCAR roof flaps to keep the cars from becoming airborne. Recent years, the LMP1s seems to catch air if the car lose control at high speed.
I doubt it. The fins *should* keep them fairly grounded, but they don't seem to be doing so.
 
I think its the combination of air going underneath the car and the fin, which now exaggerates the problem as the air has something to actually push it over even faster.
 
Just heard that in free practice that the times the Toyotas were running (3:23's) were due to them running over the fuel limits, which is allowed during free practice... so yesterday's qualifying times were a true display of their times when the fuel limits are imposed. Does this mean that Porsche has a better fuel program to achieve those times during qualifying?
 
Back