85th Running Of The 24 Hours Of Le Mans, 17-18 June 2017Sports Cars 

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 2,715 comments
What, I missed the start of this thread? I must be living under a rock...

Time for my favorite time of the year: Le Mans!

The last two years, I've sided with Porsche, but after the heartbreak of last year, I'm pulling for them in LMP1. They'vs looked good so far this season; hopefully they can keep it going. I don't follow LMP2 at all really, but I'll be hapoy with Ricky Taylor on the top step, and I always pull for Corvette in GTE-Pro. Like LMP2, I don't follow GTE-Am, so give me a Ferreri or a 'Vette.

Are there any of the new Porsche GTE's running in Am?

Proton I think is from what I saw on their site. Not super sure but it does look like it with the wider rear and the newer ducts.

EDIT: Actually I'm pretty sure they're not and they can't run them because they're brand new starting this year. AM can't run newly released cars, they have to wait a year.

What happened to all the prototype entries? The LMP list is so depressing, you either win or get runner up.. so exciting.

What do you mean, I'm a bit confused by question and then statement

I think it is about LMP1; Only 2 teams battling for the win not counting byKolles because they have so far struggled to keep the LMP2 pace. But only 2 Teams in LMP1 does not mean it will be a bad or boring race, just remember Audi vs Peugeot 2011.

I think it is about LMP1; Only 2 teams battling for the win not counting byKolles because they have so far struggled to keep the LMP2 pace. But only 2 Teams in LMP1 does not mean it will be a bad or boring race, just remember Audi vs Peugeot 2011.

I mean that's what I figured but then the statement made after didn't really make much sense to the question or issue the user had. I agree with you it will still be great especially seeing the other races so far in the WEC. Also it could be worse, it could be privateer P1 teams against a single Manufacture.

I mean that's what I figured but then the statement made after didn't really make much sense to the question or issue the user had. I agree with you it will still be great especially seeing the other races so far in the WEC. Also it could be worse, it could be privateer P1 teams against a single Manufacture.

Even then Toyota would find a way to lose. (Just joking)

Speaking of privateers, Nicolas Perrinn, who build a LMP1 chassis has sold two of them for the 2018 season.

What do you mean, I'm a bit confused by question and then statement

It just seems like big motor companies have lost interest. In 1990 you had Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Porsche, Jaguar competing against each other and I'm wondering what happened

It just seems like big motor companies have lost interest. In 1990 you had Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Porsche, Jaguar competing against each other and I'm wondering what happened

Big companies didn't lose interest at least not in racing, in WEC maybe but that's because like any racing series they demand cost caps while spending tons of money in other series. So can you expand on this theory you have, like who seems to have lost interest? Because I'm pretty sure that I can point you to where those manufactures currently reside and spend tons of money.

You know where Toyota and Porsche are.

Sebastien Bourdais had a vicious crash during qualifying for the Indy 500, resulting in pelvis and hip injures which Bourdais will have a long recovery from.

Sebastien has returning to defend his GTE-Pro victory with Ford last year and now the Ford team is needing a third driver for their #68 entry.

Sebastien Bourdais had a vicious crash during qualifying for the Indy 500, resulting in pelvis and hip injures which Bourdais will have a long recovery from.

Sebastien has returning to defend his GTE-Pro victory with Ford last year and now the Ford team is needing a third driver for their #68 entry.

Blimey, completely forgot he was with Ford and part of the winning car last year :embarrassed:. That was a vicious crash he had in quali, really hope his road to recovery is steady, and that he returns to racing soon, lucky to get away with the injuries he has really. Show's the strength on modern Indy cars really.

Aside from that, it does leave Ford with a dilemma, as they now not only have to look for a replacement driver, but someone of similar experience and ability I'd presume too. Hopefully things go to plan, as I'll be supporting Ford for the win again this year too.

Last edited:

See this is why allowing cars for AM would be a good idea on their part. Now they have to see if someone from a team that can't go, or other series they run in will be able to make the drive.

I bet there are a lot of phone calls going on right now. That's a competitive car, on a competitive team. The Ganassi connection definitely makes me think an Indy driver would have a chance...but there's a huge market of drivers who'd love that seat.

I'm available to fill in for Bourdais at both Indy and Le Mans :sly: I joke I hope he has a full healthy recovery,

Though I doubt Kanaan will fill the seat, I'd say it will be more likely to see one of the former Audi pilots that hasn't got a seat,

My completely irrelevant predictions.

LMP1 - #8 Toyota TS050 Hybrid
LMP2 - #36 Alpine A470 Gibson
GTE Pro - #51 Ferrari 488 GTE
GTE Am - #98 Aston Martin Vantage GTE

The first name that came to mind for me was Scott Pruett, given his past association with Ganassi and Ford. Which is assuming Lexus would allow him a one-off deal.

I bet there are a lot of phone calls going on right now. That's a competitive car, on a competitive team. The Ganassi connection definitely makes me think an Indy driver would have a chance...but there's a huge market of drivers who'd love that seat.

The thing is Ganassi's Cup drivers have experience as well. Either group could fill the role.

The thing is Ganassi's Cup drivers have experience as well. Either group could fill the role.

I highly doubt Ganassi's cup drivers will race at Le Mans, for two reasons:

1. Sure, they have endurance experience; they were on the same team, and won the Rolex 24 at Daytona in 2015, but that was in the Ford-Riley DP, which was last run at Daytona in 2016 before it was canned for the new GT, ehich neither of them have any expirience in the car, if memory serves me right.

2. There's the Cup race on June 18th at Michigan, which happens to be one of Larson's strongest tracks, so I highly doubt Chip would sacrifice him for a rather unlikely win at Le Mans, out of a greater chance to win at Michigan. Both drivers I feel would be more obligated to run the Cup race than Le Mns anyhow.

I highly doubt Ganassi's cup drivers will race at Le Mans, for two reasons:

1. Sure, they have endurance experience; they were on the same team, and won the Rolex 24 at Daytona in 2015, but that was in the Ford-Riley DP, which was last run at Daytona in 2016 before it was canned for the new GT, ehich neither of them have any expirience in the car, if memory serves me right.

Hence the week long testing for Le Mans to get ready, practice as well...it's not all that hard. A certain F1 driver is showing the world that very thing right now. Also a DP car is quite far from a Cup car, and they adapted to that for a one off quite fast year after year. Let's give them more credit shall we?

2. There's the Cup race on June 18th at Michigan, which happens to be one of Larson's strongest tracks, so I highly doubt Chip would sacrifice him for a rather unlikely win at Le Mans, out of a greater chance to win at Michigan. Both drivers I feel would be more obligated to run the Cup race than Le Mns anyhow.

Yes I know this, and this is the most likely reason he wont pick them, unless they were to ask.

I'm sure either driver if asked (probably not since they're a shoe in for the chase) would love to race with such a high chance of winning. My statement was to say that their are plenty of endurance racing experienced drivers under the Ganassi payroll as it is, so if needed I'm sure any could slot in and get going quite fine.

Last edited:
Hence the week long testing for Le Mans to get ready, practice as well...it's not all that hard. A certain F1 driver is showing the world that very thing right now. Also a DP car is quite far from a Cup car, and they adapted to that for a one off quite fast year after year. Let's give them more credit shall we?

Yes I know this, and this is the most likely reason he wont pick them, unless they were to ask.

I'm sure either driver if asked (probably not since they're a shoe in for the chase) would love to race with such a high chance of winning. My statement was to say that their are plenty of endurance racing experienced drivers under the Ganassi payroll as it is, so if needed I'm sure any could slot in and get going quite fine.

And I would expect NASCAR themselves to throw a block at Larson or McMurray dropping the Michigan race in favor of Le Mans, specially with Smoke and Jr gone/ going, they need to keep as many stars as close to home as possible,

Though.... Jr is getting bored of just showing up and going through the motions, he's done ALMS in a C5R, I'd like to see him have a go,

And I would expect NASCAR themselves to throw a block at Larson or McMurray dropping the Michigan race in favor of Le Mans, specially with Smoke and Jr gone/ going, they need to keep as many stars as close to home as possible,

Though.... Jr is getting bored of just showing up and going through the motions, he's done ALMS in a C5R, I'd like to see him have a go,
I don't think Jr would do it after the wreck at Sonoma. Small chance he may but I highly doubt it. But a lot of people said Sr probably would have been racing the Vettes if he was still alive and probably would have added a Corvette team to his ownership operations as well.

The first name that came to mind for me was Scott Pruett, given his past association with Ganassi and Ford. Which is assuming Lexus would allow him a one-off deal.

I doubt Lexus would have an issue since they don't have a car at Le Mans AND nothing will clash.

I don't think Jr would do it after the wreck at Sonoma. Small chance he may but I highly doubt it. But a lot of people said Sr probably would have been racing the Vettes if he was still alive and probably would have added a Corvette team to his ownership operations as well.

Its been 13 years since that and safety has improved massively. With him no longer in Cup and his sister handling the majority of operations at his team, he can do it. Would just depend on if he want too (and if Amy is ok with it). Also, I think the ACO would actually be interested in that just to bring even more attention to Le Mans and the race would get even more attention in the US just because he's there.

I just expected an Indy driver from Ganassi's stable because so many of them get seat time in the Daytona 24, etc. I see the occasional NASCAR peddler in that race, but it's a "who's who" of Indy drivers getting some seat time before the Indy season it seems.

I don't see how, the only thing they could do is threaten the possibility of one of the drivers not being able to race in the chase. But that'd be a stretch considering it's a single race. Once again it's a long stretch hypothetical to demonstrate that NASCAR drivers are just as capable of it as the Indy guys.

Doubt he will after his wreck in one, he said he was done and sure he could reverse on that but other than posting up old videos of him driving a V8 Super he hasn't shown interest in other series.

Its been 13 years since that and safety has improved massively. With him no longer in Cup and his sister handling the majority of operations at his team, he can do it. Would just depend on if he want too (and if Amy is ok with it). Also, I think the ACO would actually be interested in that just to bring even more attention to Le Mans and the race would get even more attention in the US just because he's there.

Yes but he's also had many other injuries since then in Cup, and both of those things will probably play heavy into a choice if he is even tackling that. So I think if it were him leaving NASCAR on terms that weren't so much him feeling a risk to his health and rather just being bored, I could see him asking GM to race for them.

I just expected an Indy driver from Ganassi's stable because so many of them get seat time in the Daytona 24, etc. I see the occasional NASCAR peddler in that race, but it's a "who's who" of Indy drivers getting some seat time before the Indy season it seems.

I'd say McMurray has the single most experience out of any of the drivers not in the WEC or IMSA Ganassi stables. He'd been doing the Daytona 24 about eight or so times.

This is the time of year in which motorsport comes alive for me. As far as my predictions for who wins Le Mans is concerned, I'm just going to list the team in each category that I'm rooting for.
LMP1: Toyota Gazoo Racing (of course!)
LMP2: Vaillante Rebellion
GTE Pro: Corvette Racing (If it weren't for Chip Ganassi's antics last year, I would have easily went with Ford.)
GTE Am: Eh, don't care really, but if I had to choose one it would be Larbre Competition.

I want the #7 to win overall

I want either Jackie Chan DC in lmp2

I want either Aston Martin in GTE PRO

I want GTE AM to be replaced ;)

Back