8th GTP Formula 1 World Championship

• Thread starter Mr. S
  • 867 comments
What jcm said. One of the AI's worst tracks, up there with Hungary and Moanco.

I never do think I can't win, but I think that this is going to be one of my best chances of a victory in all of these last 7 races. This, and Brazil.

Well, after my practicing I have to say you very well might win. On Monday I felt reasonably fast, and consistent. Didn't play the game at all during the week, and now today I'm slightly slower, and extremely inconsistent, spinning every 3rd lap or so.

I'm convinced that I mustn't have saved the right setup, because the car felt so easy to drive before, now it feels horrible. I wasn't very fast before, but at least before I could do an entire race at top speed. Now I can barely finish the first stint with messing up. I'm hoping I'll figure it out, but it looks like Baumi might win the championship a round earlier then expected :grumpy:

Immediatly after Brazil, we can do a 3-lap full-contact race with full AI at Monaco :D Everyone who finishes gets a 1,000 point bonus :lol:

Seriously though, if I do as badly as I'm expecting to this race, then the championship might not be up for grabs, in which case AI could work :) But if I manage to randomly fix the setup, then I might still win the championship/push it to the final round :)

I think I'll practice on F1 2011 instead of watching the race today, so please, no spoilers :)

Pole and win, fairly straight forward. Or is it that simple? Penalties may be applied to 2 drivers, Peter and myself. Peter for 'ruining' Baumi's race (unintentionally), and me for 'abusing' run-off (partially intentional).

For my part, I would understand if you decided to give me a time-penalty, though I didn't gain too much time from it, possibly 3-5tenths a lap at the most. I thought that we decided at Monza that whatever the game allows as the track is allowed, and the game allows turn 1 run-off.

As for Peter, well you were lagging very badly, often dissapeering from the track, and apperently (I didn't see it myself), you ruined Baumi's race. I'm sure it was not intentional but it wouldn't surprise me if it happened, as I know the lag was horrible for you this race. At one point, you braked earlier then I expected into turn 1, and I hit the back of your car, damaging my front wing and spinning you out. I slow down to let you re-pass, and 3seconds later you're back on track as if the whole thing never happened, which on your screen was probably true.

We don't actually have an official penalty system, but if everyone at the race agrees then penalties can be given. These are my takes on the incidents, I'd like to hear everyone else's.

Anyway, if the current results stay as they are, then Baumi will only have a 2point lead in the championship, basically meaning the whoever finishes higher between me and him will be champion.

And congragulations to Williams for officially winning the constructors championship 👍

Last edited:
From the OLR in the OP.

All participants must fulfill.

J:
Cutting the chicanes or "shorting" the track at any point is strictly prohibited on all parts of the track, including the asphalt-areas in behind out-of track-lines. Track specific boundaries will be clarified in the Race Specifics section of any given event.
I:
Aggressive driving is strictly prohibited.

Now, i know we cut corners in general, this game is very lenient towards it on some tracks, and i myself have cut some corners, but rarely gained advantage, as i usually slow down, as an instinct from my driving days on GT5. but there are some tracks that allow this. I don't know what you guys discussed in the Italian round so i don't know.

But, as a driving etiquette, the highly organised ORS competition on GTP, respect the rules of, 2 wheels inside the track at all time. Now this is a completely different game to F1, but it is still driving etiquette to stay within the track, now i know we can get it wrong. i do too, but this was a big accusation from Peter, as you can indeed gain advantage from this corner, not too much, but it does add up.
But the gain doesn't recognize it, it's very lenient.

Now, all Peter has, is what he saw. No video evidence, only what he saw.
I quite frankly am not a steward, but i feel as if Peter has been hard done by this.

On the Peter matter, he did indeed Lag, but that doesn't mean he intentionally took out Baumi. I hope we can figure something out here, or take advice from the previous series, so the if we do encounter something like this in the next series, we can have a more fair system.
Too bad their isn't any Replay saves in F1 2011.

As for Penalties, it would have to be something along the lines of what the game would give them, which is around 10-20 seconds, depending on the seriousness of the offence.

Aaaaaaanyway, i'm talking out of my a**. 40 Seconds penalty for JCM, 20 for Peter. I Win, goodnight.

cover your ears, and increase screen size, this was the best i could do, since i couldn't find the charger for my camera. Next year, i'm buying that darn HDPVR.

Last edited:
I don't believe I deserve a penalty for my lag, i'll try and sort that out by using a wired connection in Brazil.

Jcm was exceeding track limits, at turn 1, and at a lot of other parts of the track that have runoff which allows you to gain an advantage. Particularly in turn 1. I know he was doing it in turn 1 even when out of my sight, because he had unusually fast sector 1 times, ahead or behind. He'd have something like half a second over me in sector 1 alone, which is almost unattainable without some other sort of advantage, what with it being only 3 corners, mostly flat out. Even in qualifying, his sector 1 time was incredible, unbeatable, with the rest of the lap actually reachable. Trying to keep up with him without exceeding track limits, I had to push hard in the corners, and eventually a bit too hard sometimes with the game handing me a 10 second penalty.

If we want to agree on doing what the game allows, there should be a pre-race briefing on that, so we all would be aware of the advantage we could all use. Instead, we had only one person doing it, and everyone else struggling.

After watching the race and seeing the Vettel incident, I now realise why Peter was so upset about my use of turn1 run-off. For the record, I only cut corners on the inside 3times, none of which gaining any time advantage. However prior to today, I never thought of the run-off being illegal, though now I understand that it is illegal, and I gained around 10+seconds by using it.

I also used one other run-off frequently (I don't know which corner number), though I didn't gain an advantage, I also didn't get a time disadvantage either. So I believe that a 10second penalty is completely fair, and although a 20second penalty would be a little harsh, after the Vettel incident, I would understand if you all decided that.

Thanks for posting the vid Pawel, as I now know how much room to give at the start, a little bit less then I did. As for the Peter/Baumi incident, it looks as though Peter could have prevented that, so a 10-second penalty would be completely fair, possibly more due to how much it hurt Baumi.

Nothing official until Peter and Baumi say what happened on their screens. We'll see if Pawel ends up winning :lol:

EDIT: Just saw Peter's post. Yeah, I believed it was allowed to use whatever the game allowed, as that's what happened at all the earlier races with very leniant run-offs. While it was my intention to gain an advantage by using that part of the track, I didn't believe it was illegal until after the race. And the only other spot that I used run-off was the 90° left in early sector3 (after tri-chicane thing). I didn't gain any time advantage there, and I only used it when I braked too late so that I wouldn't spin out, and that braking point is very tricky for me (I really don't know why, it just it).

As for Peter's incident, on your screen where was your car in relation to Baumi's when it went off-track?

Last edited:
It's just these stupid Tilke designed run off areas, have next to zero punishment for drivers.
anyway, Peter was already penalised during the race, and adding a ten second penalty to JCM will not change the outcome at all. since he finished 17 seconds in front of peter, with his penalty.

And even if we did decide to give him 15 second penalty, for what is roughly 0.5 seconds off the first sector for the whole race. he still wins. So, the result stands, i guess.

I looked at the fastest lap times, my quickest was .1 off Peter's best, the only thing i was lacking was consistency, but hey, i pretty much despise this track, same as Korea.

Last edited:
Anyway, I'll post the results pre-penalties, as we've gone the whole season without giving out any, and since they wouldn't really affect the result, I'll leave the results as they game recorded them.

Qualifying
1. jcm 1:31.352
2. Peter +0.075
3. Baumi +2.104
4. PAWEL +2.430

Race
1. jcm 45:28.109 (1:32.567)
2. pj-gm +17.645
3. PAWEL +32.413
4. Baumi +1lap

I won't post the standings until we all agree on the penalties.

Anyway, for F1 2012 you'll probably have Tom organise it, he seems to be a man of organising these types of events. That is, if he gets the game. Hopefully F1 2012 has some sort of replay system in place.

On my screen, I didn't feel any contact whatsoever. I went into turn 1, gave jcm room, didn't swerve or anything, or change my line into turn 2. I don't think my lag will be an issue anymore, because I will hookup my Ethernet cable for the next race. I'm very sorry if I ruined Baumi's race.

On my screen the accident looked like in pawel's video.

I got into turn one and thought he backed off, cause he was way behind me.
Then on the way into turn two he appeared in my car as a gost and when I turned into the corner my car suddenly took a hit from the "gostcar" and I spun backwards into the wall which damaged my rear wing and gave me a puncture on the left rear (same as hamilton^^)

I then tried to do a hamilton and waited for jcm to let him pass.
I just pitted, so I had fresh tyres and jcm had to go defensive into the corners, which cost him a bit.
Later I stayed out longer and waited for him the hold him up for a few corners, but he was still to fast and passed peter in the end.

So I wasn't dirty enough and might need to do a bit more in the final race^^

Drivers & Constructors Tables
New Standings

Drivers:
1 - Baumi27 - Marussia Virgin Racing - 307 points
2 - jcm - Team Lotus - 305 points
3 - PAWEL17 - AT&T Williams - 223 points
4 - BlacqueJacques - AT&T Williams - 181 points
5 - bazylfox - Scuderia Ferrari - 150 points
6 - delimitri - Lotus Renault GP - 106 points
7 - Peter. - Hispania Racing Team - 103 points
8 - davybrowndog10 - Red Bull Racing - 68 points
9 - Jerry 786 - Scuderia Ferrari/Marussia Virgin - 37 points
10 - socom_killer - Sahara Force India - 32 points
11 - Mr.S - Vodafone McLaren Mercedes - 20 points
12 - V12Engine - Team Lotus - 17 points
13 - Matty - Scuderia Ferrari - 6 points
14 - DaveMay96 - Scuderia Toro Rosso - 4 points
15 - Cowboys965 - Red Bull - 4 points
16 - DaxCobra - Sahara Force India - 1 points
17 - neljack - Sahara Force India - 0 points

Teams:
1 - AT&T Williams - 404 points
2 - Marussia Virgin Racing - 327 points
3 - Team Lotus - 322 points
4 - Scuderia Ferrari - 173 points
5 - Lotus Renault GP - 106 points
6 - Hispania Racing Team - 103 points
7 - Red Bull Racing - 68 points

8 - Sahara Force India - 33 points
9 - Vodafone McLaren Mercedes - 20 points
10 - Scuderia Toro Rosso - 4 points

Baumi27
I was on the wrong side when you lapped me :lol:

I made sure of that :lol:

Well, at least now it's going to be an exciting finish to the season. Instead of JCM having to finish first, and baumi 2nd to win, it's now whoever finishes ahead, so me or peter can win it, and it won't affect the outcome.

No penalties for this race? Not even considering the outcome has a direct effect of the championship?

Peter.
No penalties for this race? Not even considering the outcome has a direct effect of the championship?

I think that if we were to give penalties now, we would have to go back and give out penalties for other races, and as i've said before, considering you were 17 seconds behind, it won't matter.
Also, JCM apparently talked with you guys about the boundaries of the race at Italy. There is also the matter of no discussion about how the game lets you take such a wide line through the first corner.

Aaaaaand, as JCM has said, he will gladly accept a penalty. I for one think there is no point, and only you and me have made any thoughts on this. No one else has had input.

There is also no(or at least that i know of) penalties set out for this incident. I mean, there is only 4 people remaining for the last race. Baumi hasn't had any input, and anyone else who has participated who has seen the footage would also be welcome for input.

This is all i'm going to say about this.

Last edited:
Peter.

Every race has had an affect though, and when the game isn't perfect, things like this happen. My stance is that it's better, and more exciting, to just let things sort themselves out, instead of getting too involved by giving penalties as such. Giving penalties non-unanimously leads to problems where instead of blaming the game for your misfortunes, you'll have fellow racers to blame.

As for what was discussed at Monza, it's more what wasn't discussed. At that time, no one disagreed with the 'whatever the game allows' (mainly in regard to the Ascari chicane at the time), and we've used it since.

No problem for me ;)

I just crash him out and still win the championship :lol:

Well I drove a few laps behind him when I was lapped and saw what he did.
From that moment I knew why he was so much faster in Qualifying and in the race, but I don't think he should get a penalty for it.

Well, hopefully for those he will participate in the F1 2012 championship can take something from this incident, and if they haven't fixed that turn in the next game, discuss it in the appropriate time.

And Brazil doesn't have any stupid run off areas, maybe one(if i remember correctly), but you can make it flat out within the boundaries anyway. So no advantage can be taken.

Yeah, fastest line is on track anyway here, which is what it should be. This is the first time I've ever done more then 20laps at this track consecutively, and I think I'm reasonably quick. Made a slight tweak to my setup and I'm getting 1:07s very easily, with 1:06s possible on a clean lap, more time to be found still though. I know Peter says he's very quick here though, so I don't expect to win the race, but I only need to beat Baumi to win the championship anyway, so hopefully that'll be what happens :)

I haven't practiced much on Brazil, at all. I don't know about single lap speed, but I was ultra consistent here. Hopefully I can string something together and not lose to you again. I have a last 7 race championship to win. A win here could seal it for me.

I've decided to do a little test in Brazil now that I've gotten pretty consistent there. I'm going to test each car in GP mode to see how quick they are/how they handle, with the same setup. I did(/I'll do) 3stints of 3hotlaps in each car, adding to 9 laps total. In P1 in GP most AI are in the garage, so no influence on laptimes from AI. *All tests with fast fuel mix and option tyres. All aids off, all Sims on, conditions sunny.

I've decided to start with the back markers, since it's probably easier to switch from a slow car to a faster car then the other way around. From what I found they are fairly similar in terms of pace. The Caterham understeers a bit too much, the HRT oversteers a bit too much, and the Marussia has the best balence, and is easiest to drive quickly. All three get about 296kph on the main straight with the same setup, though the HRT is about .5kph faster then the Caterham.

My best times:
Marussia 1:10.570
HRT 1:10.751
Caterham 1:10.900

Due to the understeer, the Caterham is not the most suited to my driving style. I was .35s off my potential best in that car, and with practice it could be quicker then the HRT, though both seem slower then the Marussia, for me anyway.

Now to test the rest of the cars. There is something just like this on DarkPSI's setup site (and other sites), but that test was taken at Spa, and I thought I should do a similar test at Brazil, as it's a shorter/easier track, and I need the practice if I want to win the championship :)

I haven't practiced much on Brazil, at all. I don't know about single lap speed, but I was ultra consistent here. Hopefully I can string something together and not lose to you again. I have a last 7 race championship to win. A win here could seal it for me.

sorry mate, but I think jcm already won this 7 race competition

sorry mate, but I think jcm already won this 7 race competition

130 points to my 103. You're right, but if it wasn't for the Abu Dhabi win, my Singapore and Suzuka mishaps, i'd have probably been ahead.

I tested some more of the cars. With the same setup, I noticed that all of the backmarkers Max out at 296kph, while all of the other Max out at 313kph. And wow - that Sauber is quick!

Sauber 1:07.469
Mercedes 1:07.599
Lotus-Renault 1:08.377
Williams 1:08.539
Toro Rosso 1:08.544
Force India 1:08.620
Marussia 1:10.570
HRT 1:10.751
Caterham 1:10.900p

The Lotus, Force India, and Caterham all had bad understeer, and I know that they could all be faster with more practice, however with only 9hotlaps, that was as quick as I could get. I'm just not good enough to adapt to the understeer that quickly. After the championship finishes I'll give each car a lot more practice, and perhaps tweak their setups to see what they can really do. I've still got the top 3 teams to test, and might try testing the online car too.

And Peter, I think you're beating Baumi in the last7 championship 👍

Peter.
130 points to my 103. You're right, but if it wasn't for the Abu Dhabi win, my Singapore and Suzuka mishaps, i'd have probably been ahead.

If i didn't **** up so many times, and didn't have so many bad lag moments, as well as racing every race, i would be in with a chance to win this thing, but hey, shoulda woulda coulda, ifs and buts, this isn't the case.

I hope some people who started the season, could join us for the farewell race. As always, would be great, but it's not gonna happen.

Back